Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012   #41
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!
 
Perki-Perk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Age: 36
Posts: 531
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I don't think it should ever be superbowl or bust. You put a lot of pressure on the team when you put those expectations out as a fanbase/city.

Too much is put on winning championships IMO. I just want the team to be a highly respectable franchise. AFC South though, I think we should win that next year again no doubt. With Manning in the division it will be harder.
Look, I rarely curse, but are you BLEEPING kidding me?! A lot is put on winning championships because that IS the reason they play the game!! Too much pressure, hey as they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen! You get respect by winning championships. Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Niners, etc. Why do they have so much respecet?! Let me help you, Championships!!!

I bet you were a C student in High School and your parents were just fine with that because they didn't want to put to much pressure on you. You got a pat on the back and they still gave you your allowance.

Come on guys, this coddling atmosphere sucks. I can't stand coddling, it's the reason people, heck, even professional sports athletes feel so entitled now. Quit coddling and hold people accountable!!
__________________
"People who think they know everything, really annoy those of us who do!" ~ Shirt I got at Target, it's real nice!
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #42
HJam72
Hall of Fame
 
HJam72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Over here.
Age: 41
Posts: 11,531
Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Look, I rarely curse, but are you BLEEPING kidding me?! A lot is put on winning championships because that IS the reason they play the game!! Too much pressure, hey as they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen! You get respect by winning championships. Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Niners, etc. Why do they have so much respecet?! Let me help you, Championships!!!

I bet you were a C student in High School and your parents were just fine with that because they didn't want to put to much pressure on you. You got a pat on the back and they still gave you your allowance.

Come on guys, this coddling atmosphere sucks. I can't stand coddling, it's the reason people, heck, even professional sports athletes feel so entitled now. Quit coddling and hold people accountable!!
You said, "Bleep."
__________________

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #43
Norg
Hall of Fame
 
Norg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,775
Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

hmmm i like the 1 and 0 motto

all the great teams seem to just say that focus on week to week


Pats giants packers well everyone says that 1 and 0
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #44
fiasco west
Hall of Fame
 
fiasco west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,098
Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Look, I rarely curse, but are you BLEEPING kidding me?! A lot is put on winning championships because that IS the reason they play the game!! Too much pressure, hey as they say, if you can't take the heat, get out of kitchen! You get respect by winning championships. Steelers, Cowboys, Saints, Packers, Niners, etc. Why do they have so much respecet?! Let me help you, Championships!!!

I bet you were a C student in High School and your parents were just fine with that because they didn't want to put to much pressure on you. You got a pat on the back and they still gave you your allowance.

Come on guys, this coddling atmosphere sucks. I can't stand coddling, it's the reason people, heck, even professional sports athletes feel so entitled now. Quit coddling and hold people accountable!!
It's not coddling.

But expecting the team to win the superbowl every year is unreasonable, no matter what you try and compare it to. I'll say it one more time but no more again, after taking skill it takes luck. It takes fortune. Had Reed suffered a serious injury that would seriously hurt their chances. We could be favorites next year but if Foster or Schaub goes down their goes our chance again.

Cowboys have no respect in the current era. So I guess guys like Marino and Sanders get no respect because they have won no championships.

The point is winning the superbowl is incredibly hard to do. One team does it every year, it's nothing compared to "Getting a C" because me getting a C has nothing to do with the other person next to me getting a 'A'. A team can play it's best and give "A" performances and still come out with the L. So lets not compare this to some thing else entirely.

But of course you get more respect by winning championships, no one said otherwise. All I'm saying is making the playoffs is hard to do in the NFL. If your team does that consistently than hopefully they can make a superbowl run.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #45
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!
 
Perki-Perk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Age: 36
Posts: 531
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
It's not coddling.

But expecting the team to win the superbowl every year is unreasonable, no matter what you try and compare it to. I'll say it one more time but no more again, after taking skill it takes luck. It takes fortune. Had Reed suffered a serious injury that would seriously hurt their chances. We could be favorites next year but if Foster or Schaub goes down their goes our chance again..
All injury aside, I still think it was a successful turn of the Corner for the Texans. I understand that you have a 1 in 32 chance of going to the Super Bowl and I think my point was relavent regarding your argument. A championship is why any player plays anything. Well most anyway.

Quote:
Cowboys have no respect in the current era. So I guess guys like Marino and Sanders get no respect because they have won no championships..
Cowboys have no respect?? They're still media darlings...with 5 rings. Granted it was almost 2 decades ago. Also we're talking teams, not individual players. There's examples all across professional team sports of great players that never got a ring but get a lot of respect. However, truth be told, when arguments come up about who's greatest, one of the deciding factors is rings. Whether you'll admit it or not.

Quote:
The point is winning the superbowl is incredibly hard to do. One team does it every year, it's nothing compared to "Getting a C" because me getting a C has nothing to do with the other person next to me getting a 'A'. A team can play it's best and give "A" performances and still come out with the L. So lets not compare this to some thing else entirely. .
I did not mean to bring up the past for you, I appologize if that was a realistic situation. OK, let's do it this way. If you don't make the playoffs...that's automatically an "F". You have a 37.5% chance of making the playoffs in the NFL, so I wouldn't say it's extremeley hard. 12 out of 32, not too bad. So you're a Wildcard. Let's give that team a "D". Divisional round loss, "C". Conference Champ loser, "B" and as far as the Super Bowl, the winner easily gets an "A" and I'd say the loser gets a "B+". (of course we used a college grading scale here, not sure if you're familiar with that with your "C" avg.)

Quote:
But of course you get more respect by winning championships, no one said otherwise. All I'm saying is making the playoffs is hard to do in the NFL. If your team does that consistently than hopefully they can make a superbowl run.
And this was my whole point! Respect=Championships. Period.
__________________
"People who think they know everything, really annoy those of us who do!" ~ Shirt I got at Target, it's real nice!
Perki-Perk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #46
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 48
Posts: 31,414
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
We're not in the era of Panthers and Jaguars starting new franchises with an all-star cast of free agents. People need to understand that not making the playoffs for 10 years is very normal for a new franchise. What's not normal is winning your first ever playoff game by 3 TDs with a 3rd string QB and then playing the Ravens down to the wire in Baltimore. We have serious reason to be excited for next year!
I was curious about the bolded, so I did a little research.

Out of 12 expansion teams since 1960, 9 made the playoffs within 10 years (half within 5 years).

Houston Texans - first season 2002 / playoffs 2011 (10 seasons)
Cleveland Browns - first season 1999 / playoffs 2002 (4 seasons)
Carolina Panthers - first season 1995 / playoffs 1996 (2 seasons)
Jacksonville Jaguars - first season 1995 / playoffs 1996 (2 seasons)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - first season 1976 / playoffs 1979 (4 seasons)
Seattle Seahawks - first season 1976 / playoffs 1983 (8 seasons)
Cincinnati Bengals - first season 1968 / playoffs 1970 (3 seasons)
New Orleans Saints - first season 1967 playoffs 1987 (21 seasons)
Atlanta Falcons - first season 1966 / playoffs 1978 (13 seasons)
Miami Dolphins - first season 1966 / playoffs 1970 (5 seasons)
Minnesota Vikings - first season 1961 / playoffs 1968 (8 seasons)
Dallas Cowboys - first season 1960 / playoffs 1966 (7 seasons)

So based upon NFL history of the past 50 years, it is normal for expansion teams to make the playoffs within their first 10 years.

As far as the title - "Superbowl win or bust next season" - I have to disagree. Obviously, a championship is every team's goal. However, I do not look at it as a complete failure if a team is unable to bring home a trophy. Perhaps if we were the New England Patriots this would be applicable, but we are not NE, so perspective is in order. JMO
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #47
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame
 
TheMatrix31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California
Posts: 7,639
Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

How about goal for next season to not be devastatingly unhealthy and to get BEAT if we're going to get beat? Don't beat ourselves.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012   #48
fiasco west
Hall of Fame
 
fiasco west's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,098
Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
All injury aside, I still think it was a successful turn of the Corner for the Texans. I understand that you have a 1 in 32 chance of going to the Super Bowl and I think my point was relavent regarding your argument. A championship is why any player plays anything. Well most anyway.



Cowboys have no respect?? They're still media darlings...with 5 rings. Granted it was almost 2 decades ago. Also we're talking teams, not individual players. There's examples all across professional team sports of great players that never got a ring but get a lot of respect. However, truth be told, when arguments come up about who's greatest, one of the deciding factors is rings. Whether you'll admit it or not.



I did not mean to bring up the past for you, I appologize if that was a realistic situation. OK, let's do it this way. If you don't make the playoffs...that's automatically an "F". You have a 37.5% chance of making the playoffs in the NFL, so I wouldn't say it's extremeley hard. 12 out of 32, not too bad. So you're a Wildcard. Let's give that team a "D". Divisional round loss, "C". Conference Champ loser, "B" and as far as the Super Bowl, the winner easily gets an "A" and I'd say the loser gets a "B+". (of course we used a college grading scale here, not sure if you're familiar with that with your "C" avg.)



And this was my whole point! Respect=Championships. Period.

Being media darlings have nothing to do with 'Respect'. The Colts got more press than the Texans this year in the national media, yet you won't find many people saying the Texans had a bad year or won the division by default after that Ravens game.

Cool, more personal jabs.

Well not sure what this is all about. Never said we'd get more respect for making the playoffs rather than winning superbowls lol. Once again I never said or implied that.

Duh championships = respect. Whose arguing against that again?
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #49
Showtime100
Got AJ?
 
Showtime100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin,Tx
Age: 51
Posts: 20,979
Rep Power: 159304 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

For the next few months I just want to enjoy the Texans accomplishments this last season. I'm not ready for lofty expectation and the "stress" that goes along with it just yet. Time to decompress.

Oh, that reminds me. Time to go feed the Ravens fans I have been keeping in my basement since yesterday.
__________________
I didn't like that movie...
Showtime100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #50
StarStruck
Site Contributor
 
StarStruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Missouri City, Texas
Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Posts: 4,697
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A time to chill View Post
I sure hope that the Texans don't think of a Super Bowl championship as an "unrealistic expectation". Do you think that cities like Boston or Pittsburgh are OK with their teams not winning Super Bowls? Success in the NFL is measured by wins and losses (no moral victories), so I'm going to refrain from calling this season a massive success. Let's not forget that the AFC South was terrible this year and Manning was injured. I'm going to need to see how they play next season to see whether or not this team has really turned the corner.

We as Texans fans should stop being so soft on them. In 10 seasons we only have 1 playoff victory and as someone who's been supporting them since the inaugural season I'm very upset about that.
I have supported the Texans since voting to get the stadium. The previous seasons were disappointing, but going from below average to barely average all the way to the second round of the playoffs is a great accomplishment.

I am not soft on low performing teams (mine for starters), but given all the Texans overcame this year and still play a very close game in second round of the playoffs is not my idea of a bust. Of the 32 teams in the league, there are still some who has never won a Super Bowl and have been around decades longer than the Texans.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #51
rush2112mn
All Pro
 
rush2112mn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Age: 49
Posts: 706
Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Calling before offseason acquisitions. With this team we can win it all.

Kubiak and Wade are a great coaching tandem.
Defense is still going to be top 5.
Offense is going to be top 5 - sign a number 2 reciever please!
Special teams is good - Be better without Jacoby.
Resign Arian and Mario.

Superbowl.

I think getting to the big game should be the goal for this team next year. I worry about winning it when you get there.......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 35,610
Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
I think getting to the big game should be the goal for this team next year. I worry about winning it when you get there.......
  1. Win games
  2. Win the division
  3. Win a first round bye
  4. Win in the divisional round
  5. Win the AFC Championship game
  6. Win the Super Bowl

Should be that way every year
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger