Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-15-2012   #21
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80234 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl win or bust next season.

The thing with Schaub IMO is not if he gets hurt again, you will never know that answer, but it is whether he comes back healthy after his lisfranc injury.....he may not even return in time to start next season
Old 01-15-2012   #22
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I'll take a consistent contender with the chance to capitalize on one or two years EVERY day over a one(or two)-hit-wonder year where we put everything into winning the title and failed like the Jets.
I think as long as we have smaller attainable goals to build upon to get to the Super Bowl, we'll be alright. Like you said, look at the Jets, or better yet, the Cowboys in 2010. They were thinking Super Bowl & lost everything, they lost the locker room, the team, the season.

First thing the Texans need to focus on is getting better in the offseason. Rick Smith has the draft & FA. The team & Kubiak have OTAs & conditioning. Scahub & Mario need to get healthy & ready.

Then we have to go at it 1 & oh again.
Old 01-15-2012   #23
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78831 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Or what about the Cardinals? What about the Titans that were good one year with a dominant defense with Haynesworth than faded back into mediocrity.

I'll always be happy if the team makes the playoffs consistently because then they always have a shot to make a run for it. Plus they will get bigger FAs because guys will see the team as a winning franchise.

I don't know if I'd throw the Cardinals into that one, since they would have been right there in the playoffs again if Warner returned in 2010. Then again, they lost a whole lot more than Warner.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #24
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I don't know if I'd throw the Cardinals into that one, since they would have been right there in the playoffs again if Warner returned in 2010. Then again, they lost a whole lot more than Warner.
I don't know, I think the Cardinals were just a great example of a team getting hot at the right time. No one picked them to do anything the year before or after they went to the SB.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #25
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 57330 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
The thing with Schaub IMO is not if he gets hurt again, you will never know that answer, but it is whether he comes back healthy after his lisfranc injury.....he may not even return in time to start next season
He will.
Old 01-15-2012   #26
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I don't know, I think the Cardinals were just a great example of a team getting hot at the right time. No one picked them to do anything the year before or after they went to the SB.
But that's the thing to me.

Just make the playoffs. Even if it's a wildcard. Thats why the Steelers have so many SBs. They get into the playoffs, sometimes they barely get in...but once you do anything can happen.

If you get into the playoffs 5+ years in a row you are due for a superbowl appearance. One of those years your team will make a run most likely and everything will break for your team.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #27
A time to chill
Rookie

Rep Power: 877 A time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it should ever be superbowl or bust. You put a lot of pressure on the team when you put those expectations out as a fanbase/city.

Too much is put on winning championships IMO. I just want the team to be a highly respectable franchise. AFC South though, I think we should win that next year again no doubt. With Manning in the division it will be harder.
Any season when you don't win a Super Bowl is a failure. That should be the goal for every team, or else you're not going very far. The only way a franchise gets respect is by winning it all.
A time to chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2012   #28
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by A time to chill View Post
Any season when you don't win a Super Bowl is a failure. That should be the goal for every team, or else you're not going very far. The only way a franchise gets respect is by winning it all.
I'm telling you not every player and coach sees it that way. The team played hard, gave it their all and that is all you can ask for win or lose. People that have unrealistic expectations will always be disappointed.

Considering that the team lost Schaub and Mario for the year, this season was a massive success. The guys have some valuable playoff experience and that will help a ton in big games next season.
Old 01-15-2012   #29
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't think we're playing Tampa next year so Schaub should be good for the whole season next year. Fat Albert is his kryptonite.
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #30
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Realistically the next step is to be a perrenial playoff team, but this team really had potential this year to win it all
Old 01-15-2012   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92649 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Super Bowl win or bust is a totally unreasonable, and even childish expectation.

Playoffs or bust IS reasonable.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #32
Lucky

Rep Power: 181825 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Super Bowl win or bust is a totally unreasonable, and even childish expectation.

Marcus is right. Did I just say that?

What should be expected from the Texans is AFC South domination and becoming invincible at home. Then, teams like the Ravens and Pats can come to Reliant. I like our chances.
Old 01-15-2012   #33
A time to chill
Rookie

Rep Power: 877 A time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respectedA time to chill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm telling you not every player and coach sees it that way. The team played hard, gave it their all and that is all you can ask for win or lose. People that have unrealistic expectations will always be disappointed.

Considering that the team lost Schaub and Mario for the year, this season was a massive success. The guys have some valuable playoff experience and that will help a ton in big games next season.
I sure hope that the Texans don't think of a Super Bowl championship as an "unrealistic expectation". Do you think that cities like Boston or Pittsburgh are OK with their teams not winning Super Bowls? Success in the NFL is measured by wins and losses (no moral victories), so I'm going to refrain from calling this season a massive success. Let's not forget that the AFC South was terrible this year and Manning was injured. I'm going to need to see how they play next season to see whether or not this team has really turned the corner.

We as Texans fans should stop being so soft on them. In 10 seasons we only have 1 playoff victory and as someone who's been supporting them since the inaugural season I'm very upset about that.
A time to chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #34
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Shouldn't this be the plan EVERY year?

I don't want a one hit wonder. I want a dynasty. I want my son to not know what it's like to support a team of losers like we've had to endure for so many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #35
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I sure hope that the Texans don't think of a Super Bowl championship as an "unrealistic expectation". Do you think that cities like Boston or Pittsburgh are OK with their teams not winning Super Bowls? Success in the NFL is measured by wins and losses (no moral victories), so I'm going to refrain from calling this season a massive success. Let's not forget that the AFC South was terrible this year and Manning was injured. I'm going to need to see how they play next season to see whether or not this team has really turned the corner.

We as Texans fans should stop being so soft on them. In 10 seasons we only have 1 playoff victory and as someone who's been supporting them since the inaugural season I'm very upset about that.
Yes I do think players don't see not winning a superbowl as a massive failure. Also it became a unrealistic expectation the moment Schaub went down. No rookie QB has ever won the Superbowl. Most were hoping that we'd have some miracle movie type of season but I think most were not expecting to win it all.

You do realize that one team every year wins the superbowl right? Players and coaches realize this and they realize that sometimes you gave your best and it wasn't good enough this year. Get better and give it a go next year. Things are not as absolute as you make it seem.

As for the AFCS being terrible c'mon now. Texans split with the Colts and they have done that for a few years now. Lets not forget that the Texans loss their QB as well and didn't skip a beat. The Colts being bad is more than just losing Manning.

Actually though roaming the Steelers boards after their loss they were not that angry about it and some expected it because of the injuries they had. You can't win the superbowl every year.

The starting goal for every team is to make the playoffs. Almost every team says so because once you get in you can make a run at it and you never know what can happen. Just look at the 9ers and Giants. If you make the playoffs enough you'll likely to come away with a Superbowl appearance or two and if you are lucky a win...unless you are the Chargers that is.
Old 01-16-2012   #36
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
True, but they were a "lock" to win that division, a "lock" to get to the play-offs every year, now they've been passed up by San Francisco & Seattle looks like they've got something going on over there.
Old 01-16-2012   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

You ain't been around near as long as you claim if you think this fan base has been soft on the Texans.

You can be as upset as you want, but if you don't acknowledge the good amidst all the bad, prepare yourself to be disappointed for a long, long time.

We're all disappointed we didn't win the Super Bowl but it's just plain wrong to think "everyone" believes their season was a "failure"

Even the Packers, I'm sure "failure" is too strong of a word. Short of the goal, short of expectations, disappointing.... sure. But failure would suggest (imo) that you go back to the drawing board.

Unless a team cleans house (whether it's the F.O. or the locker room) you can be rest assured they didn't think their season was a "failure"
Old 01-16-2012   #38
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

This should be the expectation from here on out.
The goal should be to make the playoffs by winning the division and earning the highest seeding possible.
Make other teams have to come to Reliant in the playoffs. If we can do that, I like our chances.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #39
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74306 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not in the era of Panthers and Jaguars starting new franchises with an all-star cast of free agents. People need to understand that not making the playoffs for 10 years is very normal for a new franchise. What's not normal is winning your first ever playoff game by 3 TDs with a 3rd string QB and then playing the Ravens down to the wire in Baltimore. We have serious reason to be excited for next year!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #40
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
We're not in the era of Panthers and Jaguars starting new franchises with an all-star cast of free agents. People need to understand that not making the playoffs for 10 years is very normal for a new franchise. What's not normal is winning your first ever playoff game by 3 TDs with a 3rd string QB and then playing the Ravens down to the wire in Baltimore. We have serious reason to be excited for next year!
Truth. We don't k ow what normal is. The only realistic comparison (completely new franchise) we've got to compare is the Cleveland Browns, only one play-off appearance (one &done) in the past 16 years. As far as perineal losers, we have 1 magical season by the Cardinals (Super Bowl appearance), the 1 & done Lions of this season, & the 49ers current season over the last decade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read