Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-16-2012   #61
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 267781 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My only question is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
2 minutes to play, 2 time outs, and Foster has 132 yards rushing, and our play is to throw the ball to the goal line. That's what I don't understand.
I think that's a legitimate question. I thought we got greedy there a couple of times and that's what really cost us the game.

We'll be back in the postseason next year and take care of business. This is the most "positive" I've felt following a loss that I can ever remember being.
Old 01-16-2012   #62
Tango
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Tango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respectedTango is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I think that's a legitimate question. I thought we got greedy there a couple of times and that's what really cost us the game.
Yes, it's a legitimate question why they chose to heave it to AJ instead of run it on that 4th & 2. But they've already answered it though. The original call was a RUN for that 4th & 2. Yates made the read however on the coverage and changed it to throw it to Andre instead.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...oung-qb-yates/
Quote:
On that fateful play coming out of the two-minute warning, the Texans had a run called, but T.J. Yates was cleared to check to a deep pass to Andre Johnson if the Ravens presented him the right defense.

Baltimore did indeed, coming out in a single safety, meaning only one man was deep and he had to cover the entire field.

Yates thought the play was going for a touchdown when he released it, but safety Ed Reed saw the play develop, closed over the top of Johnson and made the interception inside the Ravens’ 5.

“He taught me a lesson on how to play football today,” Yates said. “He made a heck of a play.”

Coach Gary Kubiak didn’t have a problem with the check.

“The kid’s in the right place with the ball; he just didn’t hold Ed in the middle of the field,” Kubiak said. “Attacking coverage, you never know where the ball is going to go. That coverage told us to take the shot, playing one safety.”
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #63
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the temptation to throw it down field was precipitated by outstanding OL protection, Yates had plenty of time & ability to step into the throw. If you ever watched him play while @ North Carolina this is what he does, difference was he didn't have Hakeem Nicks, who if you watched the Giants destroy Green Bay, was double/triple teamed yet still managed to make catch after catch, then separate for TD's.

I'm not sure this is the same Raven defense I drafted on my fantasy team but they did not have one sack on TJ? Texans OL kept him clean the entire game, those of us who sat threw 72 sacks in 02 know what I'm talking about. Stop & smell the

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yes, it's a legitimate question why they chose to heave it to AJ instead of run it on that 4th & 2. But they've already answered it though. The original call was a RUN for that 4th & 2. Yates made the read however on the coverage and changed it to throw it to Andre instead.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...oung-qb-yates/
So, if Yates has the ability to check from a run to a pass, surely Schaub does. I don't remember "seeing" the call change, which means our system to audible must be more subtle than what we all expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
the temptation to throw it down field was precipitated by outstanding OL protection, Yates had plenty of time & ability to step into the throw. If you ever watched him play while @ North Carolina this is what he does, difference was he didn't have Hakeem Nicks, who if you watched the Giants destroy Green Bay, was double/triple teamed yet still managed to make catch after catch, then separate for TD's.

I'm not sure this is the same Raven defense I drafted on my fantasy team but they did not have one sack on TJ? Texans OL kept him clean the entire game, those of us who sat threw 72 sacks in 02 know what I'm talking about. Stop & smell the
When Ed Reed cleared the middle of the field, he had OD for an easy 20+ yard gain in the middle of the field.
Old 01-16-2012   #65
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

half the time Dre was playing DB

and walter was going for the ball he had his arms coming out but he had the angle wrong he thought the ball would come inside no behind his back

JJ had a dude doing a cartwheel in front of him so he had no chance

i agree tho we had time for maybe 2 more plays before hail mary i dont get that
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #66
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Kubiak just confirmed that on 4th and 2 they had always called pass and TJ read single safety which meant go for the Go Route according to play design
Old 01-16-2012   #67
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
If we can blame the loss on one offensive possession after forcing a 3 & out, then why can't we blame the loss on Jacoby Jones?

Why can't we just fast-forward to the last 5 minutes and just analyze what happens there? Since that's apparently the only time that matters?

I'm really sick of the "it happened in the 1st quarter so it doesnt matter" crap. Oh, they scored three runs off a bad call, but that was in the first inning. Oh, well, there was a terrible sequence of events that led to two personal fouls and a benching for the star player, but that was in the first quarter so it doesn't matter. Oh, that guy committed a dumb 5 minute major and the other team scored two goals, but that was in the first period so it doesn't matter.

Newsflash: **** matters no matter what time they happen in the game. Some things can be DEVASTATING early. Do I think we should have capitalized on one of those damn three and outs our defense forced? Sure. I was screaming all day. But to say the game "wasn't lost" on Jacoby's BLUNDER (arguably the worst blunder I've seen in Texans history), well, that's something I take exception with.
If we let a screwup that happened 5 minutes into a 60-minute game take our 'nads, then we don't belong in the playoffs anyway.

You can keep holding on to that notion if you like, but I refuse to believe we're that weak. They've come thru way too much for me to believe they let that crush their spirit.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2012   #68
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Had Yates completed that pass and then we score, there was a lot of time left on the clock to score for the Ravens to make a comeback. It was a completely stupid play to begin with and a horrible play call especially throwing to the side where Ed Reed is.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #69
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tango, you're confused. The bomb to Andre that was intercepted by Reed was not on 4th and 2. The 4th and 2 came at the very end of the game where we heaved it to (presumably) Kevin Walter.

Both were atrocious calls.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012   #70
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Tango, you're confused. The bomb to Andre that was intercepted by Reed was not on 4th and 2. The 4th and 2 came at the very end of the game where we heaved it to (presumably) Kevin Walter.

Both were atrocious calls.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read