Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Positives that TJ brings to the table in playoff rematch

TexansFight

Veteran
A lot of people are dismissing our chances because we have our 3rd string rookie QB starting this game for us.*

Now would I rather have Schaub's experience and skill at reading defenses in this game. The obvious answer is yes. That being said TJ brings some positives in his own right.

TJ's mobility and ability to move within the pocket and gain yardage with his feet is a very nice thing to have going against a quality defense like the Ravens. If Schaub gets pushed out of the pocket because of the pass rush that play is often dead as his lack of mobility forces him to throw the ball away. Lets think positive here. What gives you confidence in TJ?

I like his short memory. When I watched Schaub make a mistake, I often see him get frustrated very quickly. It was obvious that those mistakes would affect Schaub's play for the rest of the game (not all the time, but quite often it seemed like), and I saw little hope of him ever mounting a successful rebound. With Yates I see more ability to come back from a deficit, if the game comes down to that.

The only thing I don't like about Schaub, is that it seems he has to be told when to put the team on his shoulders & when to make a play.

If you remember the Raiders game, several drives ended on a ho-hum, throw it away, live to play another series.. we let the Raiders hang around till the end, & it bit us in the arse as we ran out of time.

Kubiak told Schaub before that last series, "I need you to win this game" & Schaub had his best series of the year... he extended plays, he made stuff happen, he moved the chains.

I need him to play like that all the time, always try to move the chains, always try to make something happen, always extend plays... that way, when you're in that do-or-die situation at the end of the game, you know what to do because you've been there, done that.... you don't choke.

Tj... the advantage he brings... is that he's to green to know any better & he plays to win the game.

I like Yates' composure and moving feet in the pocket. Seems like he's more willing to run. That can be useful if the play breaks down.

Oh yeah, and the Tongue.

628x471.jpg

All I can say is that he has a lot of raw ability and upside. After that, there are too many unknowns. I do think for certain that --given the circumstances-- he would not be treading water this well if it were coaches other than Kubiak and Knapp developing him.

I like that he has a TON of doubters. IMO, that makes him very dangerous:bender:

Very dangerous indeed..... just like Flacco.

Are they going to try to prove a point? Take over the game & try to throw their way to victory?

Or will they ignore that crap, stick to the game plan, & win with the team?

I'm used to seeing "Yates" after "TJ" and for some reason I had a Travis Johnson flashback when I saw the thread title.

I was like "I dunno, get your money's worth at buffets the night before the game?"

I am concerned with the matchup of Yates Vs Ed Reed ..... Tho the other safety cant cover a baby with a blanket.

Just pound the running game and make them respect it and throw off of PA .... Dont get cute.

We'd be screwed more than a hooker on payday if Lionheart was was healthy.

haha. I can't agree more. The Texans (not literally of course) can thank their lucky starts that he got hurt. If not, you wouldn't have likely even made the Playoffs (and the Titans would have gone a 1 and done). Kubiak would have given him 2-3 games (likely losses) to prove himself before pulling the plug.

I would rather have a rookie TJ Yates @ QB than Leinart who couldn't beat Derek Anderson out for the starting role in AZ.

More athletic. Could be a little less pressure on TJ. May throw a little better long ball???? I think DBs and Foster need to play better this week plus we have AJ, this will be the difference this week. Maybe Boldin not up to speed.

The only positive is his feet. Against this pass rush, that will be huge! I wouldn't mind TJ tucking the ball and trying to get some yards himself if the pressure gets to him. We all know Schaub would simply fall on his own or quickly throw the ball away.

As for everything else, it's a downgrade from Schaub.

Let's face it, it's the playoffs. Anything can happen. No one on God's green Earth thought Flacco was going to go all the way to the AFCC in his rookie year. Hell, Boller was the starter and Smith the back-up, with Joe as the 3rd stringer in-waiting. But Boller got injured in pre-season, Smith got tonsillitis (bad) and was lost for weeks, and Flacco started Game 1 and never looked back.

No one knows what Yates will do tomorrow at M&T Bank Stadium....including Yates. He may light the Ravens secondary up, he may simply manage the game and let Foster bear the load, or he may throw a Pick six and fumble the ball twice. We'll find out tomorrow.

I don't think anyone unless a true Texans homer would say Houston is better with Yates as QB vs a healthy Schaub. But Schaub is out, so Yates is next man up. It will be interesting to see how he does. Especially if Suggs has a monster day like he has against Roethlisberger this year.

The only positive is his feet. Against this pass rush, that will be huge! I wouldn't mind TJ tucking the ball and trying to get some yards himself if the pressure gets to him. We all know Schaub would simply fall on his own or quickly throw the ball away.

TJ has a better arm than Schaub, is more mobile, and moves better in the pocket. Also has a quicker release than Schaub. What Schaub has over TJ is experience reading NFL defenses and time in this offense. Other than that, TJ is better, IMO.

haha. I can't agree more. The Texans (not literally of course) can thank their lucky starts that he got hurt. If not, you wouldn't have likely even made the Playoffs (and the Titans would have gone a 1 and done). Kubiak would have given him 2-3 games (likely losses) to prove himself before pulling the plug.

I would rather have a rookie TJ Yates @ QB than Leinart who couldn't beat Derek Anderson out for the starting role in AZ.

We still would have made the playoffs, I mean we lost the last 3 games against the freaking Panthers,Colts, and Titans and still got in.

The main positive to me is having Andre Johnson back for the rematch. I'd rather have Yates and AJ instead of Schaub and no AJ playing at Baltimore. At the very least, to help the run game. Those Baltimore safeties can't stack without fear tomorrow. Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard, will actually have to acccount for a downfield threat this time around.

Jacoby Jones burned them for a big TD catch the last time which quickly gave the Texans a brief 14-13 lead in the third quarter. But our run game was never able to generate anything positive in that game. Not having Andre Johnson makes the Texans offense a lot weaker regardless who the quarterback is.

Us Ravens fans know better than to discount a rookie QB in the divisional round (or at least we should). Joe Flacco went to #1-seeded Tennessee in 2009 as a rookie and won, so obviously it can be done.

Having AJ back is a huge advantage for you all, especially since the Ravens tend to struggle against bigger receivers. However, I do think the dropoff from Schaub to Yates is rather significant. I know you all kill Schaub sometimes, but the man is a damn good QB. With him I honestly think you all would be runaway Super Bowl favorites.

But there isn't a whole lot of tape of Yates to go on, so he might surprise some people. You all have an elite OL, so I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Yates do better than most people are expecting tomorrow. As long as he doesn't turn the ball over, I expect the game to be close (and the same goes for Flacco).

We still would have made the playoffs, I mean we lost the last 3 games against the freaking Panthers,Colts, and Titans and still got in.

The biggest thing we need to acknowledge about those three games is that we lost it while perfecting our run game... that's the difference between Arian Foster's 41 yard 2.7 ypc game & his 153 yard play-off coming out party.

We're about to shock the world people & perfecting our game those last three games instead of worrying about "winning" is a big reason.

Jacoby Jones burned them for a big TD catch the last time which quickly gave the Texans a brief 14-13 lead in the third quarter. But our run game was never able to generate anything positive in that game. Not having Andre Johnson makes the Texans offense a lot weaker regardless who the quarterback is.

If you remember, Rice didn't have much of a game to brag about before then either. Flacco hit Smith for a 50 yarder then Bolden for another 50 & that opened the game for Rice.

We should have gone deep a few more times... didn't have to be successful, with Jacoby burning them once, reaffirming that we would take our shots would have opened the game for Foster & Tate.

TJ has a better arm as well..

But I do love his footwork and ability to extend plays. Only thing he needs to work on is putting the ball in the right spot

Back