Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2012   #1
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Positives that TJ brings to the table in playoff rematch

A lot of people are dismissing our chances because we have our 3rd string rookie QB starting this game for us.*

Now would I rather have Schaub's experience and skill at reading defenses in this game. The obvious answer is yes. That being said TJ brings some positives in his own right.

TJ's mobility and ability to move within the pocket and gain yardage with his feet is a very nice thing to have going against a quality defense like the Ravens. If Schaub gets pushed out of the pocket because of the pass rush that play is often dead as his lack of mobility forces him to throw the ball away. Lets think positive here. What gives you confidence in TJ?
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Positives that TJ brings to the table in playoff rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFight View Post
What gives you confidence in TJ?
He's still standing.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #3
Joeycharp89
Veteran

Rep Power: 651 Joeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respectedJoeycharp89 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like his short memory. When I watched Schaub make a mistake, I often see him get frustrated very quickly. It was obvious that those mistakes would affect Schaub's play for the rest of the game (not all the time, but quite often it seemed like), and I saw little hope of him ever mounting a successful rebound. With Yates I see more ability to come back from a deficit, if the game comes down to that.
Joeycharp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

The only thing I don't like about Schaub, is that it seems he has to be told when to put the team on his shoulders & when to make a play.

If you remember the Raiders game, several drives ended on a ho-hum, throw it away, live to play another series.. we let the Raiders hang around till the end, & it bit us in the arse as we ran out of time.

Kubiak told Schaub before that last series, "I need you to win this game" & Schaub had his best series of the year... he extended plays, he made stuff happen, he moved the chains.

I need him to play like that all the time, always try to move the chains, always try to make something happen, always extend plays... that way, when you're in that do-or-die situation at the end of the game, you know what to do because you've been there, done that.... you don't choke.

Tj... the advantage he brings... is that he's to green to know any better & he plays to win the game.
Old 01-13-2012   #5
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Yates' composure and moving feet in the pocket. Seems like he's more willing to run. That can be useful if the play breaks down.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #6
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

He's not Matt Leinart. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #7
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 52901 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Oh yeah, and the Tongue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2012   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
He's not Matt Leinart. LOL
We'd be screwed more than a hooker on payday if Lionheart was was healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #9
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is that he has a lot of raw ability and upside. After that, there are too many unknowns. I do think for certain that --given the circumstances-- he would not be treading water this well if it were coaches other than Kubiak and Knapp developing him.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #10
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

I like that he has a TON of doubters. IMO, that makes him very dangerous
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS4MARIO View Post
I like that he has a TON of doubters. IMO, that makes him very dangerous
Very dangerous indeed..... just like Flacco.

Are they going to try to prove a point? Take over the game & try to throw their way to victory?

Or will they ignore that crap, stick to the game plan, & win with the team?
Old 01-13-2012   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm used to seeing "Yates" after "TJ" and for some reason I had a Travis Johnson flashback when I saw the thread title.

I was like "I dunno, get your money's worth at buffets the night before the game?"
Old 01-14-2012   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I am concerned with the matchup of Yates Vs Ed Reed ..... Tho the other safety cant cover a baby with a blanket.

Just pound the running game and make them respect it and throw off of PA .... Dont get cute.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #14
OntRavenFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 OntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
We'd be screwed more than a hooker on payday if Lionheart was was healthy.
haha. I can't agree more. The Texans (not literally of course) can thank their lucky starts that he got hurt. If not, you wouldn't have likely even made the Playoffs (and the Titans would have gone a 1 and done). Kubiak would have given him 2-3 games (likely losses) to prove himself before pulling the plug.

I would rather have a rookie TJ Yates @ QB than Leinart who couldn't beat Derek Anderson out for the starting role in AZ.
OntRavenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #15
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

More athletic. Could be a little less pressure on TJ. May throw a little better long ball???? I think DBs and Foster need to play better this week plus we have AJ, this will be the difference this week. Maybe Boldin not up to speed.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #16
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23265 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

The only positive is his feet. Against this pass rush, that will be huge! I wouldn't mind TJ tucking the ball and trying to get some yards himself if the pressure gets to him. We all know Schaub would simply fall on his own or quickly throw the ball away.

As for everything else, it's a downgrade from Schaub.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #17
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3744 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's face it, it's the playoffs. Anything can happen. No one on God's green Earth thought Flacco was going to go all the way to the AFCC in his rookie year. Hell, Boller was the starter and Smith the back-up, with Joe as the 3rd stringer in-waiting. But Boller got injured in pre-season, Smith got tonsillitis (bad) and was lost for weeks, and Flacco started Game 1 and never looked back.

No one knows what Yates will do tomorrow at M&T Bank Stadium....including Yates. He may light the Ravens secondary up, he may simply manage the game and let Foster bear the load, or he may throw a Pick six and fumble the ball twice. We'll find out tomorrow.

I don't think anyone unless a true Texans homer would say Houston is better with Yates as QB vs a healthy Schaub. But Schaub is out, so Yates is next man up. It will be interesting to see how he does. Especially if Suggs has a monster day like he has against Roethlisberger this year.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #18
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
The only positive is his feet. Against this pass rush, that will be huge! I wouldn't mind TJ tucking the ball and trying to get some yards himself if the pressure gets to him. We all know Schaub would simply fall on his own or quickly throw the ball away.

As for everything else, it's a downgrade from Schaub.
TJ has a better arm than Schaub, is more mobile, and moves better in the pocket. Also has a quicker release than Schaub. What Schaub has over TJ is experience reading NFL defenses and time in this offense. Other than that, TJ is better, IMO.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #19
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntRavenFan View Post
haha. I can't agree more. The Texans (not literally of course) can thank their lucky starts that he got hurt. If not, you wouldn't have likely even made the Playoffs (and the Titans would have gone a 1 and done). Kubiak would have given him 2-3 games (likely losses) to prove himself before pulling the plug.

I would rather have a rookie TJ Yates @ QB than Leinart who couldn't beat Derek Anderson out for the starting role in AZ.

We still would have made the playoffs, I mean we lost the last 3 games against the freaking Panthers,Colts, and Titans and still got in.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #20
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

The main positive to me is having Andre Johnson back for the rematch. I'd rather have Yates and AJ instead of Schaub and no AJ playing at Baltimore. At the very least, to help the run game. Those Baltimore safeties can't stack without fear tomorrow. Ed Reed and Bernard Pollard, will actually have to acccount for a downfield threat this time around.

Jacoby Jones burned them for a big TD catch the last time which quickly gave the Texans a brief 14-13 lead in the third quarter. But our run game was never able to generate anything positive in that game. Not having Andre Johnson makes the Texans offense a lot weaker regardless who the quarterback is.
Bulls on Parade is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read