Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: What Would Make You Consider This Season a Success?
We Won the Division 4 5.63%
First Playoff Win 44 61.97%
If We Can Beat the Ravens 8 11.27%
Playing in the Super Bowl 4 5.63%
Champs, Baby! 11 15.49%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2012   #21
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What Will You Consider a Successful Season?

I know it is too much to expect that you young people (anyone not in their 7th decade) would understand, but after seeing Billie Cannon and George Blanda, and the rest of the very first Oilers win the whole thing (in the old AFC), the only thing that I've wanted is to see the Oilers, nee Texans, win the SB. So I voted to win the whole thing Bably. Just Win!
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #22
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

The results are surprising to me. You guys are telling me that with all the injuries we've sustained, you would have considered the season a failure if we would have lost against Cincy last week? Winning the division deemed the season a success methinks.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #23
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
The results are surprising to me. You guys are telling me that with all the injuries we've sustained, you would have considered the season a failure if we would have lost against Cincy last week? Winning the division deemed the season a success methinks.
Cincinanti was beatable, even in our depleted condition. The Bengals, unlike the Ravens, just aren't that good a team.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #24
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Cincinanti was beatable, even in our depleted condition. The Bengals, unlike the Ravens, just aren't that good a team.
I concur! I would have been extremely disappointed with a loss to the Bengals, now all I want is a good showing against the Ravens, and if we win...Oh Lordy, look out! I just don't think TJ is enough to get it done, but I hope, beyond the hope of hoping, that he proves me wrong.
Old 01-12-2012   #25
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Super Bowl or bust! All the way, baby!
Old 01-12-2012   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Every fan wants a Super Bowl win, and when they don't get it, they want changes in their team so they can get a Super Bowl win. That's kind of like the sun rising in the East.

For myself, I'm happy with what we got ONLY if Wade comes back next year. If we lose to Baltimore AND lose Wade, I'm going to be a grumpy poster again until the Texans do something to shut me up.
Well then, you have two possibilities. Being grumpy about other teams wanting to hire your top assistants, or whatever your reaction would be to teams not showing any interest in them.

I choose grumpy (Although I've said before, I think Wade will be back next season)!
Old 01-12-2012   #27
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, but would the season really be a failure if we won the division with all of our injuries, and that was it?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012   #28
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209570 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, but would the season really be a failure if we won the division with all of our injuries, and that was it?
The season would have been a success with only a division title, and a one and done game in the playoffs, ONLY if that loss was against a team that was as good as the Ravens are going to be. I can handle a loss to a very good team given our circumstances, but not to a poor team like the Bungles.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #29
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be disappointed if they lost Sunday, but all in all I think it was a success considering the injuries.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #30
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64465 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not content with just winning a first round playoff game, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. You gotta start somewhere.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
To me, this has already been a successful season. Everything else is just gravy.
That's how I feel about it. Anything after this is house money.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #32
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our first ever playoff appearance/win definitely means this was a successful season. I'll be upset if we lose Sunday, but it will be short term. I always want us to win. This team had all the excuses in the world to fail this season, but still went out and won the division and a playoff game with a 3rd string QB.

So, no matter what happens this weekend I think they've had a great year and we'll be even stronger next season.
Old 01-12-2012   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post

The championship was my primary goal after Leinert went down. Everything else is a rainbow after a rain in a drout. I will be very satisfied if Phillips returns. This will be the first time "Wait until next year" is a happy scream rather than a resentful defensive mutter.
The AFC South Championship?

When I saw who we would possibly face Wild-Card Weekend... I was like... psshh we should beat the Bengals/Jets/Raiders

Now, after watching our last game against Baltimore.... Schaub was off. Aj wasn't there, Casey wasn't there, & it was the first game after we lost Mario..... & it was our game to lose after 3 qtrs...

I'm not going to say we should win this game, but I won't be surprised when we do.

If you can, watch the game again (supposed to come on NFLN tonight (midnight)).. imagine our defense played for 4 qtrs the way they played the first 3

Imagine JJ Watt played then the way he's been playing for the last 3 weeks.

Believe.
Old 01-12-2012   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The team we saw at the end of the season was not the same team we saw at the beginning of the season. That team that lost to New Orleans, to Baltimore.... those aren't these guys.

If either of those teams were to face the Bengals after injuries or whatever... nah, we wouldn't have stood a chance.

But these guys.... these guys... hell yeah I'd have been very disappointed if they lost to the Bengals & I'll be very disappointed if they don't show up Sunday.

These guys aren't waiting for the opponent to have an off day. They aren't hoping the opponent's key players are hurt. They don't hope that the other team looks past them.

These guys are looking for the best the other team's got & they're going to ram it back down their throats.
Old 01-12-2012   #35
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like folks have different definitions of successful...

For myself, being content or ok with not winning a superbowl doesn't mean the season was successful...

You are only successful if you set out to do what you intended on doing.

Anything short of that is a failure to reach that goal. Pretty simple for me.

I already consider this season to have been great so far....awesome in fact....but successful?

We have achieved a lot of success...I'm sure we have succeeded in reaching many of our goals...

But overall season success, for me at least, is paramount on winning a superbowl. If that doesn't happen, then IMO, then we failed to reach our primary goal.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #36
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

edit
Old 01-12-2012   #37
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Seems like folks have different definitions of successful...

For myself, being content or ok with not winning a superbowl doesn't mean the season was successful...

You are only successful if you set out to do what you intended on doing.

Anything short of that is a failure to reach that goal. Pretty simple for me.

I already consider this season to have been great so far....awesome in fact....but successful?

We have achieved a lot of success...I'm sure we have succeeded in reaching many of our goals...

But overall season success, for me at least, is paramount on winning a superbowl. If that doesn't happen, then IMO, then we failed to reach our primary goal.
Really good points, man. It really does come down to perspective.

Success is defined as the accomplishment of an aim or purpose.

So obviously, on some levels, this was a successful season within the goal of reaching the playoff and clinching the division.

But, that being said, I'd bet the players and coaches are more inclined to agree with you that the main goal is a championship, and every season only has one team that is truly successful from that perspective.

For myself, I go back to the Texans fan perspective using the past decade to reflect upon. I'm glad that they finally got the monkey off their backs as it pertains to getting into the playoffs. Fortunately, they never had the monkey of not winning a playoff game.

But, next season, just clinching a division title and making the playoffs won't be enough for the majority of fans. Our perspectives will have shifted to greater goals, and we will be like the fans of 31 other teams at that point. Super Bowl or bust!
Old 01-12-2012   #38
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

But, next season, just clinching a division title and making the playoffs won't be enough for the majority of fans. Our perspectives will have shifted to greater goals, and we will be like the fans of 31 other teams at that point. Super Bowl or bust!
I've got to think if I were a Steelers fan, just to make the play-offs would have been a success this year as they, more or less, fell apart physically at the end of the season.

Losing to Tebow puts a different spin on it, but if they lost to us or the Raiders, they'd have been "content"

Maybe, I don't know. I'd wonder why in the heck we've got guys like Charlie Batch on the freak'n roster if we don't trust them to fill in when a guy like Tj Yates is clinching divisions & winning in the post season.

But other than that, I'd take it on a game by game basis.

Falcons offense putting up 0 points.... yeah I'd be pissed.
Old 01-12-2012   #39
Khari
Administrator

Section: Varies
Rep Power: 17854 Khari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respectedKhari is a quality contributor and well respected

it already is
Old 01-12-2012   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

There's only one winner at the end of the season - the other 31 teams went home losers.

Championship or bust.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read