Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2012   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Network No Huddle says Yates Will Be Rattled

VIDEO
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Network No Huddle says Yates Will Be Rattled

I saw that last night. They've got some solid points, because this is the kind of game that could overwhelm a rookie QB. Looking over center and seeing Ray Lewis, even at his advanced age, is something that could rattle just about anyone, much less a rook.

However, the great thing about this team is that TJ doesn't have to carry the load. He just needs to avoid costly mistakes and get the ball to our playmakers. With AJ, Foster, Daniels and the cast around them, they can do this, especially if our defense can stop Rice and force Flacco into making some mistakes.

They are underdogs, but the Ravens have not won the game, yet! That's why they play the game, and regardless of these 'experts', anything is possible.
Old 01-12-2012   #3
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 77507 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe..maybe not.

The rook is getting some great experience and the Kubes is getting valuable insight into what we have in Yates.

Personally I think Yates is progressing pretty good from game to game.

Maybe he can give the talking heads another QB to talk about.

Old 01-12-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yates Will Be Rattled
Well yeah, it's an away game against one of the best defenses in the league. He had it easy playing at home last week, now we will see what he's made of. This game will likely be a defensive struggle, as both teams have offenses that have stumbled at times during the regular season.

In any case, I really don't think Flacco is much of a threat. He may wind up being the best Texans player of the game if he throws a few INTs. He's had some bad games this year against good defenses, so I'm hoping our pass rush will rattle him and force him to make mistakes.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #5
OntRavenFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 OntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Well yeah, it's an away game against one of the best defenses in the league. He had it easy playing at home last week, now we will see what he's made of. This game will likely be a defensive struggle, as both teams have offenses that have stumbled at times during the regular season.

In any case, I really don't think Flacco is much of a threat. He may wind up being the best Texans player of the game if he throws a few INTs. He's had some bad games this year against good defenses, so I'm hoping our pass rush will rattle him and force him to make mistakes.
Well Cool Joe is no different than any other QB. You have to be able to get the pressue. With our O-line at 100% that could be easier said than done. This year Joe was sacked the least amount of times in his 4 year career which to me means our O-line is better than it ever has been.
OntRavenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Until we play SanFran in the Super Bowl, this is the best defense we'll see the rest of this season. Yates is proving to be a very solid backup, but he's no Schaub yet. If Schaub was still in this, I'd say we have an excellent chance of beating the Ravens. With Yates, at best all I can say is the old standby - Any Given Sunday. We can beat the Ravens with Yates, it's just it's a tougher match with Yates than with Schaub.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #7
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates' poise has been his biggest strength since coming in imo. He looks the part out there and doesn't seem to get rattled. I think him getting rattled is of far less concern than his ability to step up into the pocket and find AJ deep a couple of times early on.

I forget which game it was where Schaub threw the deep bomb for AJ first play of the game (either last season or the year before) for a TD but I'd love them to wheel out a repeat again in this one.

The key, as I see it, is to force teams to respect the pass first, and that is a whole lot easier with AJ suited up. I've watched our running game stumble somewhat towards the end of the regular season, and I can't help but think thats because our Offense sans-Johnson is one dimensional, and if you put enough resources into stopping the run, you'll get there eventually.

Now that AJ is back in, Yates has that option and it will be imperative that we force the Ravens to respect that if we are to then get the running game going, and then hammer home with the play-action.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012   #8
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52455 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if the Ravens will employ heavy blitz-pressure or rely on a 4-man rush ? Of course AJs presense might be a big factor in their decision about which way to go in this strategy ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntRavenFan View Post
Well Cool Joe is no different than any other QB. You have to be able to get the pressue. With our O-line at 100% that could be easier said than done. This year Joe was sacked the least amount of times in his 4 year career which to me means our O-line is better than it ever has been.
That's an interesting stat considering Flacco has thrown for a career low 57% completion percentage this year.

I don't think the Ravens have much of an edge in the QB department. While Baltimore could very well be my 2nd favorite team and I have much respect for them. I don't think much of Flacco.

I think this is going to be a great game, I think it will be decided by a FG and could go either way. It's a very tall order to play the Ravens on the road in the playoffs, but I think our team suprises everyone and it comes down to late in the 4th quarter.
Old 01-12-2012   #10
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

I think NFLN is rattled by the Texans success this season, they have progressively got worse at reporting on football since the Texans stormed in and said, "We will not quit, we will not back down, we will persevere, we will continue to play above the standard, NEXT MAN UP!"
Old 01-12-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntRavenFan View Post
Did you read that on a blog somewhere? His sack numbers going from 2008 to 2011: 32, 36, 40, 31 (33 given up on the year)

Not exactly a huge difference from other years. Flacco is the same QB he was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Look at his numbers:

Year Comp Att % Yards Avg TD INT Fum QBR
2009 315 499 63.1 3,613 7.24 21 12 6 88.9
2010 306 489 62.6 3,622 7.41 25 10 7 93.6
2011 312 542 57.6 3,610 6.66 20 12 9 80.9

Nothing has changed, he's just as beatable this year as he was before. He hasn't gotten any better, but on the upside he hasn't gotten any worse.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
I think NFLN is rattled by the Texans success this season, they have progressively got worse at reporting on football since the Texans stormed in and said, "We will not quit, we will not back down, we will persevere, we will continue to play above the standard, NEXT MAN UP!"
I guarantee you that if the Texans make the playoffs next year, that will change forever. Once you "become relevant", you stay that way for a long while in the media. But until you "become relevant", you're not.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I forget which game it was where Schaub threw the deep bomb for AJ first play of the game (either last season or the year before) for a TD but I'd love them to wheel out a repeat again in this one.
Texans/Seahawks '09 (Only game I've been able to attend).
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I saw that last night. They've got some solid points, because this is the kind of game that could overwhelm a rookie QB. Looking over center and seeing Ray Lewis, even at his advanced age, is something that could rattle just about anyone, much less a rook.

However, the great thing about this team is that TJ doesn't have to carry the load. He just needs to avoid costly mistakes and get the ball to our playmakers. With AJ, Foster, Daniels and the cast around them, they can do this, especially if our defense can stop Rice and force Flacco into making some mistakes.

They are underdogs, but the Ravens have not won the game, yet! That's why they play the game, and regardless of these 'experts', anything is possible.
Is that how we describe ourselves now? "Advanced age"?

I like it.
Old 01-12-2012   #15
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I guarantee you that if the Texans make the playoffs next year, that will change forever. Once you "become relevant", you stay that way for a long while in the media. But until you "become relevant", you're not.
That's what I've been trying to explain to people who get upset that we aren't getting more coverage. Our team has to actually do something first, or be interesting.
Old 01-12-2012   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Did you read that on a blog somewhere? His sack numbers going from 2008 to 2011: 32, 36, 40, 31 (33 given up on the year)

Not exactly a huge difference from other years. Flacco is the same QB he was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Look at his numbers:

Year Comp Att % Yards Avg TD INT Fum QBR
2009 315 499 63.1 3,613 7.24 21 12 6 88.9
2010 306 489 62.6 3,622 7.41 25 10 7 93.6
2011 312 542 57.6 3,610 6.66 20 12 9 80.9

Nothing has changed,
he's just as beatable this year as he was before. He hasn't gotten any better, but on the upside he hasn't gotten any worse.

I agree that he is just as beatable. But going from a pass completion rate of 63.1% in '09 to 57.6% this year is significant.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #17
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I just watched the video and I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!!!

All 4 of them picked the Ravens to win, just like everyone else. The Ravens have everything to lose and no one expected the Texans to be here.

I love the underdog role, keep feeding the fire baby! This team is just as hungry as the Ravens are and I don't think the talking heads are giving that any consideration.
Old 01-12-2012   #18
OntRavenFan
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 OntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respectedOntRavenFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't recall saying he suddenly woke up an "Elite" QB.

His numbers dipped this year. Absolutely.

By the numbers I guess that makes him more consistent than he's give credit for?

By comparison he's no worse than Brady or Brees in their first 4 years (5 years for Brees if you consider he didn't start his rookie year).

I said he had the lowest # of sacks in his 4 years. 31 is less than 32 which was his rookie year. I attibuted this to the O-Line being better, not Joe suddenly becoming the second coming of Cam Newton and rushing for 700 yards or something or Becoming Brees and throwing for 5000+ yards.
OntRavenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #19
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4924 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

They better have the landscapers/field repair guys on site in Baltimore Sunday, because Flacco's facemask will have chewed up half the field before the 4th quarter... Wait...it's field turf...

Screw you Baltimore, you ruin my jokes... But must say, the Cracker Barrel between there and Wilmington was the best I've ever eaten... Literally, i ate the whole place... I love you, Baltimore!

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #20
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

If I'm Kubiak I'm going in there using a Sun Tzu tactic. Sun Tzu went faced an army five times larger than the one he had. He convinced his men they were going to die anyway and to take as many of the enemy with him as they could. I'd say something like:

"The Ravens think they've won this already, their FANS think they've won this already. The MEDIA is already trying to decide if THEY are going to play New England or Teblow next week. Since the media says we done for...F#*K it. Let's go down swiging. Corners...bump the ISHT out of those receivers. Get between them and that football when it's in the air and if you can't OBLITERATE the SOBS if they DO catch it. If one of your boys has a runner wrapped up but you don't hear a wistle pretend he's a steak and you're a starving dog and make a bee-line for him...and try to knock the ball out.

Offense take the underneath stuff. Chip away at them and take the clock down. Play like this will be the last game of your career. If this IS how you're going out how do you want to remembered?

IF they win...IF they get the W that everyone has given them already let them look at you through at least one black eye as they're shaking your hand and let them limp into next week's game against either Brady or Teblow. IF they take a W today, go on to win the Superbowl and eventually make it to the hall of fame, let them remember that to get there they took an asswhipping from the Houston Texans in the hardest fought game of their entire careers. Gentlemen...let's play some damn football."
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read