Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Network No Huddle says Yates Will Be Rattled

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I saw that last night. They've got some solid points, because this is the kind of game that could overwhelm a rookie QB. Looking over center and seeing Ray Lewis, even at his advanced age, is something that could rattle just about anyone, much less a rook.

However, the great thing about this team is that TJ doesn't have to carry the load. He just needs to avoid costly mistakes and get the ball to our playmakers. With AJ, Foster, Daniels and the cast around them, they can do this, especially if our defense can stop Rice and force Flacco into making some mistakes.

They are underdogs, but the Ravens have not won the game, yet! That's why they play the game, and regardless of these 'experts', anything is possible.

Reactions: Rey

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Maybe..maybe not.

The rook is getting some great experience and the Kubes is getting valuable insight into what we have in Yates.

Personally I think Yates is progressing pretty good from game to game.

Maybe he can give the talking heads another QB to talk about.

:coffee:

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Yates Will Be Rattled
Well yeah, it's an away game against one of the best defenses in the league. He had it easy playing at home last week, now we will see what he's made of. This game will likely be a defensive struggle, as both teams have offenses that have stumbled at times during the regular season.

In any case, I really don't think Flacco is much of a threat. He may wind up being the best Texans player of the game if he throws a few INTs. He's had some bad games this year against good defenses, so I'm hoping our pass rush will rattle him and force him to make mistakes.

OntRavenFan

Practice Squad
Well yeah, it's an away game against one of the best defenses in the league. He had it easy playing at home last week, now we will see what he's made of. This game will likely be a defensive struggle, as both teams have offenses that have stumbled at times during the regular season.

In any case, I really don't think Flacco is much of a threat. He may wind up being the best Texans player of the game if he throws a few INTs. He's had some bad games this year against good defenses, so I'm hoping our pass rush will rattle him and force him to make mistakes.
Well Cool Joe is no different than any other QB. You have to be able to get the pressue. With our O-line at 100% that could be easier said than done. This year Joe was sacked the least amount of times in his 4 year career which to me means our O-line is better than it ever has been.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Until we play SanFran in the Super Bowl, this is the best defense we'll see the rest of this season. Yates is proving to be a very solid backup, but he's no Schaub yet. If Schaub was still in this, I'd say we have an excellent chance of beating the Ravens. With Yates, at best all I can say is the old standby - Any Given Sunday. We can beat the Ravens with Yates, it's just it's a tougher match with Yates than with Schaub.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Yates' poise has been his biggest strength since coming in imo. He looks the part out there and doesn't seem to get rattled. I think him getting rattled is of far less concern than his ability to step up into the pocket and find AJ deep a couple of times early on.

I forget which game it was where Schaub threw the deep bomb for AJ first play of the game (either last season or the year before) for a TD but I'd love them to wheel out a repeat again in this one.

The key, as I see it, is to force teams to respect the pass first, and that is a whole lot easier with AJ suited up. I've watched our running game stumble somewhat towards the end of the regular season, and I can't help but think thats because our Offense sans-Johnson is one dimensional, and if you put enough resources into stopping the run, you'll get there eventually.

Now that AJ is back in, Yates has that option and it will be imperative that we force the Ravens to respect that if we are to then get the running game going, and then hammer home with the play-action.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I wonder if the Ravens will employ heavy blitz-pressure or rely on a 4-man rush ? Of course AJs presense might be a big factor in their decision about which way to go in this strategy ?

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
Well Cool Joe is no different than any other QB. You have to be able to get the pressue. With our O-line at 100% that could be easier said than done. This year Joe was sacked the least amount of times in his 4 year career which to me means our O-line is better than it ever has been.
That's an interesting stat considering Flacco has thrown for a career low 57% completion percentage this year.

I don't think the Ravens have much of an edge in the QB department. While Baltimore could very well be my 2nd favorite team and I have much respect for them. I don't think much of Flacco.

I think this is going to be a great game, I think it will be decided by a FG and could go either way. It's a very tall order to play the Ravens on the road in the playoffs, but I think our team suprises everyone and it comes down to late in the 4th quarter.

Perki-Perk

DieHard Texan!
I think NFLN is rattled by the Texans success this season, they have progressively got worse at reporting on football since the Texans stormed in and said, "We will not quit, we will not back down, we will persevere, we will continue to play above the standard, NEXT MAN UP!"

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Did you read that on a blog somewhere? His sack numbers going from 2008 to 2011: 32, 36, 40, 31 (33 given up on the year)

Not exactly a huge difference from other years. Flacco is the same QB he was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Look at his numbers:

Year Comp Att % Yards Avg TD INT Fum QBR
2009 315 499 63.1 3,613 7.24 21 12 6 88.9
2010 306 489 62.6 3,622 7.41 25 10 7 93.6
2011 312 542 57.6 3,610 6.66 20 12 9 80.9

Nothing has changed, he's just as beatable this year as he was before. He hasn't gotten any better, but on the upside he hasn't gotten any worse.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I think NFLN is rattled by the Texans success this season, they have progressively got worse at reporting on football since the Texans stormed in and said, "We will not quit, we will not back down, we will persevere, we will continue to play above the standard, NEXT MAN UP!"
I guarantee you that if the Texans make the playoffs next year, that will change forever. Once you "become relevant", you stay that way for a long while in the media. But until you "become relevant", you're not.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I saw that last night. They've got some solid points, because this is the kind of game that could overwhelm a rookie QB. Looking over center and seeing Ray Lewis, even at his advanced age, is something that could rattle just about anyone, much less a rook.

However, the great thing about this team is that TJ doesn't have to carry the load. He just needs to avoid costly mistakes and get the ball to our playmakers. With AJ, Foster, Daniels and the cast around them, they can do this, especially if our defense can stop Rice and force Flacco into making some mistakes.

They are underdogs, but the Ravens have not won the game, yet! That's why they play the game, and regardless of these 'experts', anything is possible.
Is that how we describe ourselves now? "Advanced age"?

I like it. :handshake:

Perki-Perk

DieHard Texan!
I guarantee you that if the Texans make the playoffs next year, that will change forever. Once you "become relevant", you stay that way for a long while in the media. But until you "become relevant", you're not.
That's what I've been trying to explain to people who get upset that we aren't getting more coverage. Our team has to actually do something first, or be interesting.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Did you read that on a blog somewhere? His sack numbers going from 2008 to 2011: 32, 36, 40, 31 (33 given up on the year)

Not exactly a huge difference from other years. Flacco is the same QB he was last year, and the year before, and the year before that. Look at his numbers:

Year Comp Att % Yards Avg TD INT Fum QBR
2009 315 499 63.1 3,613 7.24 21 12 6 88.9
2010 306 489 62.6 3,622 7.41 25 10 7 93.6
2011 312 542 57.6 3,610 6.66 20 12 9 80.9

Nothing has changed,
he's just as beatable this year as he was before. He hasn't gotten any better, but on the upside he hasn't gotten any worse.

I agree that he is just as beatable. But going from a pass completion rate of 63.1% in '09 to 57.6% this year is significant.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I just watched the video and I FREAKIN' LOVE IT!!!

All 4 of them picked the Ravens to win, just like everyone else. The Ravens have everything to lose and no one expected the Texans to be here.

I love the underdog role, keep feeding the fire baby! This team is just as hungry as the Ravens are and I don't think the talking heads are giving that any consideration.

OntRavenFan

Practice Squad
I don't recall saying he suddenly woke up an "Elite" QB.

His numbers dipped this year. Absolutely.

By the numbers I guess that makes him more consistent than he's give credit for?

By comparison he's no worse than Brady or Brees in their first 4 years (5 years for Brees if you consider he didn't start his rookie year).

I said he had the lowest # of sacks in his 4 years. 31 is less than 32 which was his rookie year. I attibuted this to the O-Line being better, not Joe suddenly becoming the second coming of Cam Newton and rushing for 700 yards or something or Becoming Brees and throwing for 5000+ yards.

drunkcookie

2 drunk 2 cook
They better have the landscapers/field repair guys on site in Baltimore Sunday, because Flacco's facemask will have chewed up half the field before the 4th quarter... Wait...it's field turf...

Screw you Baltimore, you ruin my jokes... But must say, the Cracker Barrel between there and Wilmington was the best I've ever eaten... Literally, i ate the whole place... I love you, Baltimore!

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
If I'm Kubiak I'm going in there using a Sun Tzu tactic. Sun Tzu went faced an army five times larger than the one he had. He convinced his men they were going to die anyway and to take as many of the enemy with him as they could. I'd say something like:

"The Ravens think they've won this already, their FANS think they've won this already. The MEDIA is already trying to decide if THEY are going to play New England or Teblow next week. Since the media says we done for...F#*K it. Let's go down swiging. Corners...bump the ISHT out of those receivers. Get between them and that football when it's in the air and if you can't OBLITERATE the SOBS if they DO catch it. If one of your boys has a runner wrapped up but you don't hear a wistle pretend he's a steak and you're a starving dog and make a bee-line for him...and try to knock the ball out.

Offense take the underneath stuff. Chip away at them and take the clock down. Play like this will be the last game of your career. If this IS how you're going out how do you want to remembered?

IF they win...IF they get the W that everyone has given them already let them look at you through at least one black eye as they're shaking your hand and let them limp into next week's game against either Brady or Teblow. IF they take a W today, go on to win the Superbowl and eventually make it to the hall of fame, let them remember that to get there they took an asswhipping from the Houston Texans in the hardest fought game of their entire careers. Gentlemen...let's play some damn football."

OntRavenFan

Practice Squad
If I'm Kubiak I'm going in there using a Sun Tzu tactic. Sun Tzu went faced an army five times larger than the one he had. He convinced his men they were going to die anyway and to take as many of the enemy with him as they could. I'd say something like:

"The Ravens think they've won this already, their FANS think they've won this already. The MEDIA is already trying to decide if THEY are going to play New England or Teblow next week. Since the media says we done for...F#*K it. Let's go down swiging. Corners...bump the ISHT out of those receivers. Get between them and that football when it's in the air and if you can't OBLITERATE the SOBS if they DO catch it. If one of your boys has a runner wrapped up but you don't hear a wistle pretend he's a steak and you're a starving dog and make a bee-line for him...and try to knock the ball out.

Offense take the underneath stuff. Chip away at them and take the clock down. Play like this will be the last game of your career. If this IS how you're going out how do you want to remembered?

IF they win...IF they get the W that everyone has given them already let them look at you through at least one black eye as they're shaking your hand and let them limp into next week's game against either Brady or Teblow. IF they take a W today, go on to win the Superbowl and eventually make it to the hall of fame, let them remember that to get there they took an asswhipping from the Houston Texans and the hardest fought game of their entire careers. Gentlemen...let's play some damn football."
Great speech...made me want to go put on my #52 Jersey and go play defense against my truck! LOL

Although I'm assuming you don't really wish anyone to get hurt. That would just be plain poor sportsmanship.

eriadoc

Texan-American
Great speech...made me want to go put on my #52 Jersey and go play defense against my truck! LOL

Although I'm assuming you don't really wish anyone to get hurt. That would just be plain poor sportsmanship.
There's a difference between "hurt" and "injured". ;)

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame

I'm not saying to take anybody out...I'm just saying play hard and for a full 60 minutes.

Dread-Head

Hall of Fame
There's a difference between "hurt" and "injured". ;)
Hurt = Embedding yourself into a receiver's rib cage at full force and he's slow to get up. He talks some trash but the next route he runs doesn't have as much energy to it.

Injured = Embedding yourself into a receiver's rib cage at full force and he has to be carried off the field.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I don't recall saying he suddenly woke up an "Elite" QB.

His numbers dipped this year. Absolutely.

By the numbers I guess that makes him more consistent than he's give credit for?

By comparison he's no worse than Brady or Brees in their first 4 years (5 years for Brees if you consider he didn't start his rookie year).

I said he had the lowest # of sacks in his 4 years. 31 is less than 32 which was his rookie year. I attibuted this to the O-Line being better, not Joe suddenly becoming the second coming of Cam Newton and rushing for 700 yards or something or Becoming Brees and throwing for 5000+ yards.
If you are going to use number of sacks as a gauge for the strength of your o-line, and the difference is negligible, then what's the point? Say what you want about the pass protection, but the fact is Flacco has taken a step back in an unprecedented year where many other QBs have taken advantage of defenses. He had 50+ more attempts this year, yet his QBR is down 13 points, his average yards per pass is down .7, his completion rate is down 5% and his passing yards stayed the same. He also lost 6 fumbles this year, the most in his career. This while playing for a team that went 12-4 and often had the lead in most games. That to me means either the QB himself is making poor decisions or he's under pressure a lot.

Coincidentally, Andy Dalton was only sacked 24 times throughout 2011. In our playoff game we sacked him 4 times, had 3 INTs and forced 1 fumbled (recovered by the Bengals).

jjjezebel

¡Ay, caramba!

IF they win...IF they get the W that everyone has given them already let them look at you through at least one black eye as they're shaking your hand and let them limp into next week's game against either Brady or Teblow. IF they take a W today, go on to win the Superbowl and eventually make it to the hall of fame, let them remember that to get there they took an asswhipping from the Houston Texans in the hardest fought game of their entire careers. Gentlemen...let's play some damn football."
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dread-Head again." Boo! :aggressive:

Hervoyel

BUENO!
You know, he probably will be rattled Sunday to some degree.

If he isn't rattled by all of this then that boy is special and we need to hang on to him. You can't coach that quality up.

Rozelle

Noob
TJ without question has a big challenge ahead of him this weekend. Ed Reed scares me as much as anyone. He is a master at baiting QBs and can be a nightmare for a young one. Coaches know Pollard’s weakness (coverage) hopefully we can exploit it.

Both defenses can get after the QB. We must take care of the football… Ravens led the league in forced fumbles (21). Must account for Suggs off the edge; he led the league with 7.

Really the pressure is on the Ravens…they’re supposed to win. You have guys like Terrell Suggs feeling like the Super Bowl window is closing, and Lewis knows his is. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them come out little tight, maybe we can get an early turnover.
Hopefully Texans can come in relaxed and play like a team that has nothing to lose.
I like our chances if we can take care of the ball and TJ can make some plays not only his arm but his legs.

TEXANRED

Texan-American
This game is just to close to call. Both teams are solid from top to bottom. Both run the ball well, and play stout defense.

I will tell you this, whoever wins this game will represent the AFC in the Superbowl. I don't think the Patriots or the Broncos could beat either team.

technosailor

Ravens Fan

LOL. Ok, Braveheart.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If I'm Kubiak.....
If I'm Wade, I'm telling them boys on Kirby to " look across that field. That's the best defense in the league. You boys are good, but they're the best I've ever seen. If you want to be known as the best, you've got to beat the best. Last time we played, you gave up 400 yards of offense, they gave up 293. You gave up 29 points, they gave up 14. They sacked your QB 4 times, you sacked theirs twice.

If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

So.....

What are you going to do?"

Last edited:

Jaysol

3rd String Rook
if i'm wade, i'm telling them boys on kirby to " look across that field. That's the best defense in the league. You boys are good, but their the best i've ever seen. If you want to be known as the best, you've got to beat the best. Last time we played, you gave up 400 yards of offense, they gave up 293. You gave up 29 points, they gave up 14. They sacked your qb 4 times, you sacked theirs twice.

If you want to be the best, you've got to beat the best.

So.....

What are you going to do?"
msr!

Giant Tiger

Veteran

All these guys are talking about Yates, but I think our defense has something to prove in this game. I don't see anything special about Flacco, but he looked pretty good last game. He made some clutch throws & kept avoiding pressure moving around. I look for our defense to be pissed off & go after him this time.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
All these guys are talking about Yates, but I think our defense has something to prove in this game. I don't see anything special about Flacco, but he looked pretty good last game. He made some clutch throws & kept avoiding pressure moving around. I look for our defense to be pissed off & go after him this time.
yep, I agree. I think they should shut down Ray Rice and force the game on Flacco. He's not the most consistent QB, and the point they made that the Ravens have everything to lose is a good one. This could cause them to play tight and force things, which can often lead to costly mistakes.

I think our D still has a chip from the off-season when they were being panned for being so awful in 2010. Hopefully, they continue to have that chip on their shoulders and just bring it to the Ravens.

HoustonRaven

Practice Squad
Something that is getting lost in the Yates debate is our Defensive Coordinator.

Chuck Pagano knows TJ Yates better than any coach the Texans have faced this season, having been the Tar Heels DC in 2007. It was only one year, granted, but he's going to know a little more of what makes Yates tick than the other coaches in the league.

jaayteetx

All Pro
Yates scares me, he has a couple of big time oops moments each game it seems. The Bengals were unable to capitalize on it but I fear the Ravens will. I hope he is up to the task.

sluggo832004

Practice Squad
and why the hell is Jalen Rose there? He got an NFL career i didnt know about?

I like the guy, but he really dosent belong there with the NFL players.

I guess we can have Derrick Mason on Inside the NBA. lol.

Scoobs

Practice Squad
TJ just has to keep doing what he's been doing, and he'll be fine. He has a lot of experience behind him helping him learn how to be an NFL QB, and I think that will help keep him in check. Delhomme has been in big games before, as has Garcia. He can lean on those guys for advice.

I think the way this offense is built will help too. They don't overly rely on the QB anyways... I think they've kind of proved that by getting as far as they have with a 5th round NFL rookie.

Nawzer

Alienz
It's not Yates I'm worried about being rattled but rather Kubiak getting rattled and going into his shell calling "safe" plays.

sluggo832004

Practice Squad
It's not Yates I'm worried about being rattled but rather Kubiak getting rattled and going into his shell calling "safe" plays.
:gun::gun:

CORRECT!!!!!!

We have no presure here. Kubiak needs to just let use all the plays in the playbook and let loose.

I would do playaction pass to andre on the 1st play deep for a TD. I would also use Ben Tate much more.