Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-12-2012   #1
category6um
Rookie

Default the greatest RBs of all time?

With this weekend taking forever to get here.... maybe some light fun reading will help.

Who is the greatest RB of all time?

http://www.category6um.com/2012/01/1...s-of-all-time/

Interesting where Earl Campbell ranks?
category6um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #2
mridge01
Veteran

Rep Power: 470 mridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respectedmridge01 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: the greatest RBs of all time?

Bo Jackson not on the list? Best ever IMHO. He had the speed, power, and elusiveness where most backs are really only good at one, maybe two of those traits. He had the whole package. Too bad injury and baseball kept him from a lengthy career. Herschal Walker was pretty good.
mridge01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #3
cdollaz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1265 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

The list is "greatest", not "best". Best implies pure talent, while greatest has to factor in historical performance (stats) and longetivity.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mridge01 View Post
Bo Jackson not on the list? Best ever IMHO. He had the speed, power, and elusiveness where most backs are really only good at one, maybe two of those traits. He had the whole package. Too bad injury and baseball kept him from a lengthy career. Herschal Walker was pretty good.
He would have made this list had he played longer, but these other guys did it for much longer. Personally I don't feel that Sayers belongs on this list since he didn't play nearly as long as these other guys did proving his greatness season after season.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #5
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by category6um View Post
With this weekend taking forever to get here.... maybe some light fun reading will help.

Who is the greatest RB of all time?

http://www.category6um.com/2012/01/1...s-of-all-time/

Interesting where Earl Campbell ranks?
This is just a group of guys who played for Michigan who went to the NFL. If we were talking the greatest of all time we would be seeing Earl, Gail Sayers, Payton ETC.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
This is just a group of guys who played for Michigan who went to the NFL. If we were talking the greatest of all time we would be seeing Earl, Gail Sayers, Payton ETC.
You need to look down below that. There is a top 10 list of greatest NFL Runningbacks, including Campbell, Dickerson, Payton, Sanders, and, yes, Sayers.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

LOL, Dread forgot how to use the scroll wheel.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2012   #8
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
As others have mentioned, use the scroll wheel. Also, it's Miami, not Michigan.

As for the list ..... meh, whatever. I can't take seriously any attempt to put Gale Sayers ahead of Earl Campbell. I like Earl better than Payton or Emmitt, but I get the arguments for those guys. Jim Brown was a little before my time, but having watched some highlight reels, I don't take anything away from the guy. Earl is still #1 in my heart.
Old 01-12-2012   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

There are to many backs that were highly productive for much longer than Gale Sayers and I have a huge problem with his rankings in these conversations. I don't doubt his talent level and his skill and feel like he is amongst these guys on this list from a talent and skill perspective, but there are dozens of other backs that have came and gone in this league that have been highly productive like Sayers for a longer time span and they don't get the same credit which is unfair. If Sayers enters this line up, than it is arguable that Curtis Martin, Edrin James, should enter it. I don't see how Gale Sayers should be higher than Tomlinson when Tomlinson was so productive for so much longer and was the best elite back in the league for so many more seasons. And I'd have to agree with Herv that Earl Cambell trumps Gale Sayers by far.
Old 01-13-2012   #10
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Scroll down a bit. The top list is the best Univ. of Michigan RBs of all time. The bottom one has Earl listed #8, Sayers listed #5, and Payton listed #1.

Edit: Oops, did not refresh the screen and see that this has been pointed out. My bad.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 281064 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
There are to many backs that were highly productive for much longer than Gale Sayers and I have a huge problem with his rankings in these conversations. I don't doubt his talent level and his skill and feel like he is amongst these guys on this list from a talent and skill perspective, but there are dozens of other backs that have came and gone in this league that have been highly productive like Sayers for a longer time span and they don't get the same credit which is unfair. If Sayers enters this line up, than it is arguable that Curtis Martin, Edrin James, should enter it. I don't see how Gale Sayers should be higher than Tomlinson when Tomlinson was so productive for so much longer and was the best elite back in the league for so many more seasons. And I'd have to agree with Herv that Earl Cambell trumps Gale Sayers by far.
Sayers is always an obligatory mention in RB conversations much like Johnny Unitas must be obliged with any given QB discussion.

I'd definitely put Earl on my RB list, but I admit a built-in hometown bias. He was a hero to me as a kid and larger than life. Hard to be objective with that kind of history and connection to my youth.

Without a doubt the list has to be topped with Emmit Smith and Walter Payton. They hold the top two spots in running records, and both have championships that they were a large part in winning. Plus, just their durability at a position with an average 3 year life has to be admired and accounted for. Not to mention they were just badasses in their prime.

After that, it becomes a discussion about numbers and intangibles. Guys like Earl, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, O. J. Simpson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, etc....the list is long and can be arranged in many different orders depending on what you qualify.
Old 01-13-2012   #12
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think Smith and Faulk are too high.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012   #13
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I can only comment on guys I actually watched. Jim Brown sounded awesome, but never got to watch him on a consistent basis.

So after getting that out of the way, Barry Sanders is hands down the best I've ever seen! It's amazing what he did on all of those crappy Lions teams.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #14
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I would put Barry Sanders at #1.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Personally, I think Smith and Faulk are too high.
You know, everyone talks about Emmitt having this wonderful O-line to run behind, which he did, but go back and watch footage of him and count how many yards he got after initial contact.

Amazing.
Old 01-15-2012   #16
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I can only comment on guys I actually watched. Jim Brown sounded awesome, but never got to watch him on a consistent basis.

So after getting that out of the way, Barry Sanders is hands down the best I've ever seen! It's amazing what he did on all of those crappy Lions teams.
The Bears teams that Payton played on from when he was drafted through to about 82 weren't much good either.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #17
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

jim brown
earl, barry, payton
emmitt, dickerson, gale, simpson, etc
Old 01-16-2012   #18
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
You know, everyone talks about Emmitt having this wonderful O-line to run behind, which he did, but go back and watch footage of him and count how many yards he got after initial contact.

Amazing.
While they were in their primes there was a stat about Emmitt and Sanders which was two thirds of Emmitt's yards came after first contact while two thirds of Barry's yards came before first contact. Emmitt was a master of short space movement and handwork to minimize and then run through contact. It wasn't as pretty as Sanders or Dorsett but it was damn effective and the OL should not get all the credit.
Old 01-16-2012   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 208045 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
While they were in their primes there was a stat about Emmitt and Sanders which was two thirds of Emmitt's yards came after first contact while two thirds of Barry's yards came before first contact. Emmitt was a master of short space movement and handwork to minimize and then run through contact. It wasn't as pretty as Sanders or Dorsett but it was damn effective and the OL should not get all the credit.
Barry Sanders also killed a lot more drives for his team.
Old 01-16-2012   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Sayers is always an obligatory mention in RB conversations much like Johnny Unitas must be obliged with any given QB discussion.

I'd definitely put Earl on my RB list, but I admit a built-in hometown bias. He was a hero to me as a kid and larger than life. Hard to be objective with that kind of history and connection to my youth.

Without a doubt the list has to be topped with Emmit Smith and Walter Payton. They hold the top two spots in running records, and both have championships that they were a large part in winning. Plus, just their durability at a position with an average 3 year life has to be admired and accounted for. Not to mention they were just badasses in their prime.

After that, it becomes a discussion about numbers and intangibles. Guys like Earl, Barry Sanders, Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Marshall Faulk, O. J. Simpson, LaDainian Tomlinson, Tony Dorsett, Marcus Allen, etc....the list is long and can be arranged in many different orders depending on what you qualify.
I will not put Emmit up there with Payton. He simply was not as good at being a big time back and Payton did not run with nearly the O line that Emmit did along with a passing game to take the pressure away from the running game that Payton had to carry. No way I'd put Emmit above Erick Dickerson or Barry either. If you put anyone of those guys in the Cowboys in those years they would have been amazing just as well and even better. Earl Campbell on the Cowboys would have been insane. Emmit had the best situation. I don't like to sound like I'm discrediting him, because he still earned and achieved what he did, but he had way better pieces to make him successful and wasn't nearly the HR threat that these other guys were, nor was he a stronger runner than guys like Campbell and Dickerson.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read