Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-10-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jags hire Mike Mularkey as Coach

TheRedzoneorg The Redzone
Jaguars hire Mike Mularkey as head coach tinyurl.com/6ujka3c #NFL #Jaguars
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...h/Default.aspx
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #2
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jags hire Mike Mularkey as Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
TheRedzoneorg The Redzone
Jaguars hire Mike Mularkey as head coach tinyurl.com/6ujka3c #NFL #Jaguars
http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...h/Default.aspx
Saved the Falcons the trouble of firing him (and paying him next year).
Old 01-10-2012   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Jag fans are NOT happy..

http://forum.jaguars.com/index.php?s...ic=700278&st=0

They are pissed.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #4
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Falcons fans are dancing in the street. I would guess MoJo is pissed now. They will have California Sunshine dropping back more and taking the fetal postion when the rush gets near and less Mojo it sounds pretty good for the Texans.

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

That's a bunch of Mularkey.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #6
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 121746 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Mularkey's hiring made the Jets realize that their problem (perceived or real) wasn't going to be solved by another NFL team like the Falcons was:

Quote:
ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
#Jets announce that Brian Schottenheimer will not return in 2012 as offensive coordinator. Choice made by the coach.
5 minutes ago

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 01-10-2012 at 11:49 PM.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #7
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect the Jaguars defense to be absolute incredible for years to come since Mularkey really knows how to keep offenses from scoring.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2012   #8
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Dude couldn't make it work with weapons in ATL, how's he gonna do it with considerably less weaponry in Jax? They're going to be terrible.............
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #9
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr tex View Post
dude couldn't make it work with weapons in atl, how's he gonna do it with considerably less weaponry in jax? They're going to continue to be terrible.............
fify

Gary Kubiak
December 4,2011
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #10
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 59912 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
I expect the Jaguars defense to be absolute incredible for years to come since Mularkey really knows how to keep offenses from scoring.
Especially his own. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Kind of funny to hear Mularky getting bashed like this. Dude took a terrible team to the post season 3 out of 4 seasons, and played a strong role in building this team up again after Vick left this franchise in shambles. Mularky did a pretty damn good job in ATL. He just didn't have the same success in the post season. I'm not sure that he should have been fired really, but for people to discount this guy in Jacksonville as if he's some joke of a HC is ridiculous. That team didn't have jack **** worth a weapons before he got there in ATL, and he's partly responsible for why they have some of them now.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, if Mularkey can make people think Matt Ryan is elite then he can definitely make Blaine Gabbert at least the 6th pro-bowl alternate.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Kind of funny to hear Mularky getting bashed like this.
They probably had their sights set on Cowher.
Old 01-11-2012   #14
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mularky did a pretty damn good job in ATL. He just didn't have the same success in the post season. I'm not sure that he should have been fired really, but for people to discount this guy in Jacksonville as if he's some joke of a HC is ridiculous. That team didn't have jack **** worth a weapons before he got there in ATL, and he's partly responsible for why they have some of them now.
I don't know that I'd agree. On paper, I fear the Falcons a lot more than I have on the field. I don't know how much of it is on Mularkey, but it seemed to me to be a case of not identifying strengths or forcing an identity on an offense where personnel didn't match or drafting for something other than what you should be built for. Or maybe a combination of all three.

Turner, Gonzales, Rodgers, Mughelli, Jones, White, Douglas, Snelling. These aren't offensive slouches. These are guys with talent. And I don't think - at least in playoff games or games vs. the Saints - that the right thing was done with their personnel.

Atlanta had a record of something like 20-3 as of December of this year when Turner rushed for over 100 yards. And, about that time, they started to press this no huddle, vertical offense. Attempted, anyway.

Their offensive line underperformed (in passing and short yardage) and Ryan's arm is simply not enough. If you are an OC, then I think you need to identify what your QB can do and design an offense around that. With Turner at RB and Gonzales at TE, you have two great pieces to do just that.

They didn't. And it cost them.

Ryan doesn't take risks - he's scared, I think, to really press the ball into tight holes down the field. I don't know if it's a confidence issue but I know it's an arm issue.

All of this makes the deal for Jones even more bizarre. The QB can't get the ball to him deep. Ryan has the Capt. Checkdown reputation for a reason and it's well deserved. For three seasons his reads went like this: White up to 15 yards, throw to Gonzales. He panics quickly and dumps the ball off. I don't think he has the arm, patience, accuracy, elusiveness in the pocket to let the play develop down the field - so why try this no huddle, vertical whatever?

I don't get it.

Now, how much of that is Mularkey? No idea. But I know as a Saints fan, I was hoping he'd stick around. With a more competent OC, they can be a more dangerous team (though Turner slowed noticeably this year - or maybe was less strong; Gonzales aged another year).

Yes, he had some success. I guess the question is how much of that was the pure talent and how much of that is scheme? I think the answer is both - so it's a matter of relativity. And I think the Falcons could be scarier on offense with a better scheme and with better playcalling.

Does that mean he'll be terrible in JAX? No. I just wouldn't have high expectations - I haven't seen much from him to make me hope if I am a Jags fan and were I one, i'd be pretty bummed about this. If he makes MoJo the focus of his scheme, I think he could improve them - Turner did well under him. But if he tries too hard to press Gabbert into things he doesn't excel at - in order to be a high flying offense, as he's done in ATL, then he's missing an opportunity with jones-Drew.
RazorOye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kind of funny to hear Mularky getting bashed like this. Dude took a terrible team to the post season 3 out of 4 seasons, and played a strong role in building this team up again after Vick left this franchise in shambles. Mularky did a pretty damn good job in ATL. He just didn't have the same success in the post season. I'm not sure that he should have been fired really, but for people to discount this guy in Jacksonville as if he's some joke of a HC is ridiculous. That team didn't have jack **** worth a weapons before he got there in ATL, and he's partly responsible for why they have some of them now.
I'm thinking the same thing. Plus you can't count out the fact that he'll have MJD to work with and appearantly he knows how to draft WRs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post
I don't know that I'd agree. On paper, I fear the Falcons a lot more than I have on the field. I don't know how much of it is on Mularkey, but it seemed to me to be a case of not identifying strengths or forcing an identity on an offense where personnel didn't match or drafting for something other than what you should be built for. Or maybe a combination of all three.

Turner, Gonzales, Rodgers, Mughelli, Jones, White, Douglas, Snelling. These aren't offensive slouches. These are guys with talent. And I don't think - at least in playoff games or games vs. the Saints - that the right thing was done with their personnel.

Atlanta had a record of something like 20-3 as of December of this year when Turner rushed for over 100 yards. And, about that time, they started to press this no huddle, vertical offense. Attempted, anyway.

Their offensive line underperformed (in passing and short yardage) and Ryan's arm is simply not enough. If you are an OC, then I think you need to identify what your QB can do and design an offense around that. With Turner at RB and Gonzales at TE, you have two great pieces to do just that.

They didn't. And it cost them.

Ryan doesn't take risks - he's scared, I think, to really press the ball into tight holes down the field. I don't know if it's a confidence issue but I know it's an arm issue.

All of this makes the deal for Jones even more bizarre. The QB can't get the ball to him deep. Ryan has the Capt. Checkdown reputation for a reason and it's well deserved. For three seasons his reads went like this: White up to 15 yards, throw to Gonzales. He panics quickly and dumps the ball off. I don't think he has the arm, patience, accuracy, elusiveness in the pocket to let the play develop down the field - so why try this no huddle, vertical whatever?

I don't get it.

Now, how much of that is Mularkey? No idea. But I know as a Saints fan, I was hoping he'd stick around. With a more competent OC, they can be a more dangerous team (though Turner slowed noticeably this year - or maybe was less strong; Gonzales aged another year).

Yes, he had some success. I guess the question is how much of that was the pure talent and how much of that is scheme? I think the answer is both - so it's a matter of relativity. And I think the Falcons could be scarier on offense with a better scheme and with better playcalling.

Does that mean he'll be terrible in JAX? No. I just wouldn't have high expectations - I haven't seen much from him to make me hope if I am a Jags fan and were I one, i'd be pretty bummed about this. If he makes MoJo the focus of his scheme, I think he could improve them - Turner did well under him. But if he tries too hard to press Gabbert into things he doesn't excel at - in order to be a high flying offense, as he's done in ATL, then he's missing an opportunity with jones-Drew.
This is a pretty reasonable analysis. I won't say that they've seemed a little disappointing as far as their playoff performance has been as they haven't won a game under Mularky, but they have been a successful team that has been in a pretty tough division especially last season when the Bucs were really good record wise and they had the best NFC record.

The difference between the Saints and the Falcons is a real simple one. Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is a very good NFL QB. He has been since he entered the league. He's led his team to 3 winning seasons out of 4 and has two division titles while having to compete against the Saints for that. Drew Brees is a HOF QB though. He is one of the best of all time. When you compare a very good NFL QB to an all time great HOF QB, well that can become a "huge difference" in the grand scheme of things.

So switch Brees and Ryan on their teams and how do you think both teams do?

Mularky took a team that was in the gutter and transformed them in one season. That was a damn good turn around. He also has kept them as a very good team in the NFC. Who will ATL get that is better?? Cowher? If they can land him, than yeah go for it. I don't see any other guys though that are easy upgrades though. So for all of the winning that the Falcons have had in the 4 seasons he has been there, how do you fire him now? I'd give him at least one more season. The only difference between him and other HC's in the NFC that have won games is playoff wins.

Remember that it took Coughlin several seasons before he actually won one and before winning the SB, the Giants never had a season where they were the best team in the NFC for the season.

I really find it funny that die hard Kubiak supporters would trash Mularky as if he's some lame duck HC though. That's a good laugh right there. Talk about inconsistency.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #17
RazorOye
Ayo

Rep Power: 43676 RazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respectedRazorOye is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The difference between the Saints and the Falcons is a real simple one. Drew Brees and Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan is a very good NFL QB. He has been since he entered the league. He's led his team to 3 winning seasons out of 4 and has two division titles while having to compete against the Saints for that.
I think Ryan is a decent, above average QB. Like I've said - more than once now - he has a specific skillset. Short/intermediate throws. Decent decision maker. Best friends are running game and dependable tight end. WRs with good hands (since his accuracy isn't all that great).

I don't think he is "elite" (as John Clayton did). I don't think he's a top 10 QB, but I could see arguments for him being around 10-12. And I think he's good enough to win. I think he's the 3rd best QB in his division. Cam Newton scares me much more than Ryan.

There's an article on SI today that highlights Ryan's shortcomings in the vertical game and the strange trade for Jones considering that
:

Costly Jones trade came back to bite Falcons in playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry J. Byrne
All of which brings us to the elephant in the room in Atlanta's 2011 post-mortem of pigskin: Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan simply can't get it done.

He's consistently had trouble getting the ball downfield throughout his career, and has now played poorly in three straight playoff games. In fact, Ryan has statistically stagnated somewhere well below mediocre in his three postseason games, all losses: 72.8 rating in the 2008 playoffs; 69.0 rating in the 2010 playoffs; and 71.1 rating here in the 2011 playoffs.

It doesn't matter how many so-called "weapons" you put around a quarterback. The Shiny Hood Ornament Man Law tells us that quarterbacks make wide receivers, not the other way around. And right now we have four years of evidence saying that Ryan is not good enough to make his receivers better.
While I think the criticism is overly harsh - I think he can get it done - I think the key point holds. Matt Ryan is not a vertical passer. Atlanta's success comes when they have a top 5 rushing attack (they were #2 rushing w/ Turner in that turnaround year you're talking about). And hoping Jones and White and Gonzales will make him a vertical threat isn't going to make him one. And scheming a no huddle, vertical show-on-turf isn't going to make him one, either.

And that's my biggest issue with Mularkey: his scheme didn't fit his personnel. His play calling - in the stretch and in the playoffs - doesn't match Ryan's skillset.

For me, that's a pretty big indictment/oversight on the part of the OC. We had the same problem with Gary Gibbs as Saints DC prior to Williams' hire. He had a scheme that didn't fit the personnel and never changed it.

I don't know why Atlanta abandoned Turner and the running game. I don't know how much of that was on Mularkey. But it was a poor decision.

If he rides Jones-Drew as he did Turner to a 20-3 record when Turner goes 100+ yards, then they can be an effective - though not eye-popping - offense.

If he insists on abandoning a Pro Bowl RB in favor of a QB (maybe Gabbert can do what Ryan can't - you watch more Gabber than I do in the division, so I don't know), then I wouldn't hope for much.
Old 01-11-2012   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorOye View Post

If he insists on abandoning a Pro Bowl RB in favor of a QB (maybe Gabbert can do what Ryan can't - you watch more Gabber than I do in the division, so I don't know), then I wouldn't hope for much.
Gabbert is complete and utter crap. Honestly, there is nothing redeeming about his game that makes me think he will ever amount to anything more than a 1st round bust who hangs around some team as a backup QB. The Jags screwed up big time reaching for him and it will come back to haunt them. They would have been better off trading that pick for David Carr.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #19
RazorOye
Ayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Gabbert is complete and utter crap. Honestly, there is nothing redeeming about his game that makes me think he will ever amount to anything more than a 1st round bust who hangs around some team as a backup QB. The Jags screwed up big time reaching for him and it will come back to haunt them. They would have been better off trading that pick for David Carr.
what little I've seen of him suggests the same - I was not impressed. He seemed to have pretty happy feet in the pocket and threw off his back foot a whole lot or bailed out of throws. I dunno... just not impressed. But that's based on limited looks.

If you're right, then it becomes more imperative for Mularkey to design a game plan around Jones-Drew. Maybe he's learned his lesson with Turner/Ryan in Atlanta better than to repeat it with Jones-Drew/Gabbert. If I am a Jags fan, though, seeing him try to make a QB (and that offense) into something he isn't (and they aren't) for the last couple of seasons (to the point it affected last year's draft and mortgaging of future drafts), then I would be understandably concerned.
Old 01-11-2012   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I agree. Hopefully Mularkey thinks Gabbert can become a good QB though. Would help us by keeping the Jags down! I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags went after RGIII or Matt Flynn though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read