Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-12-2012   #21
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Next mock up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Look at Steve Smith his heart out does his size.
Guys like Steve Smith are the exception, not the rule. Look around the NFL most WR's are tall and athletic. We're not saying that Wright can't play football in the NFL because of his vertical challenges only that if I have 2 guys of comparable talent levels I'm taking the taller one.

I also wonder what will happen to Wright when the Combine comes around. Every year when players are measured many of them shrink from their publicized height and weight. Lots of 5'11" 200 lbs. guys turn out to be 5'10" and 185 lbs. Are colleges to poor to afford a workable tape measure, to dumb to know how to use it, or just liars?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012   #22
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Picking up a quality WR in FA is a nice idea but I don't think it will happen this year. The Texans are right at the salary cap already and won't have the money to spend on other teams FA because we have so many of our own players becoming FA this year. Mario, Brisiel, Dreesen, Foster - RFA, etc... will all be FA and we'll need to attempt to re-sign them. The only way that we can do all that and go after other teams FA is to let Mario walk, or cut other players that don't make sense financially like possibly Jacoby Jones and/or Walter. Maybe we can get Demeco to take a pay cut because he's making way to much money for a 2 down ILB with injury concerns.
I don't know if it's possible to bring everyone on the current team back for another year or two. We are a playoff team and we have good players who'll attract big money. I'm prepared to loose a few of these guys because it's natural occurrence for a good team.

Last edited by Nawzer; 01-13-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Nawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #23
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think he will be a cap casualty next year. 3 million is a too much for a 3rd string QB. If we can trade him to Seattle for a 6th or 7th, I would do it. Take the 3 million saved on him and put it towards re-signing Arian or Mario. We're gonna need more space this offseason to re-sign Myers, Foster, Mario and Brisiel.

Funny that you mention Keenum's age being an issue. I was talking to someone at work the other day who thought Keenum was 26, but no he's 24. He's only 1 year older than most QBs in the draft, which isn't much of a difference. Brandon Weedon is 28, which is a significant difference in age from other draftees.
Hmm....I thought he was older than that. Still, the competition he faced is a big issue.

badboy- I'd start TJ Yates of course! Schaub was always heady enough to overcome his physical limitations and now with a lisfranc, can he go mad scientist super genius to overcome being even slower?!? I think there is more controversy brewing than people realize.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are my second choices:

1. Dwight Jones WR
2. Brandon Washington LG/OT
3. Winston Guy S/CB/ returner
4. Ryan Broyles WR whether ready by opener or not. Kid will be good.
5. Philip Blake C/OG his age is concern but I expect Myers to be re-signed & remain as starter. Blake will have time to learn system & can play RG/RT
6. Neiko THorpe FS/CB 6'2" 190 4.5 2yr CB & S as a senior. BPA
7. Kevin Koger TE
Old 01-13-2012   #25
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe you guys can put up a list of positions we may need (considering opinions from all the posters that visit the draft forum.)

Then list and vote to rank all the players at that position.

Just a thought.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #26
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Maybe you guys can put up a list of positions we may need (considering opinions from all the posters that visit the draft forum.)

Then list and vote to rank all the players at that position.

Just a thought.
For me ranking the players is tough as more info comes in constantly. Combines and college pro days will have players moving all over the board. For example, a current Texan Roc Carmichael had a poor 40 time at combine and I moved him off my board. Later I discovered he had a very good 40 at pro day. Just too many guys to keep up with but if someone wants to start it, I'll post my thoughts when I can.
Old 01-13-2012   #27
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
For me ranking the players is tough as more info comes in constantly. Combines and college pro days will have players moving all over the board. For example, a current Texan Roc Carmichael had a poor 40 time at combine and I moved him off my board. Later I discovered he had a very good 40 at pro day. Just too many guys to keep up with but if someone wants to start it, I'll post my thoughts when I can.
Let's say if you (or somebody else) has been concentrating more on a certain position (NT, for example), you can put up a ranking list for that position. Everybody else will chime in and we can vote to rank them each month as we have more info on them.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2012   #28
badboy
Site Contributor

Wide receiver:

Blackmon, Michael Floyd (asterick due to alcohol issues), Kendall Wright, Dwight Jones, Mohammed Sanu, Alshon Jeffrey, Marvin McNutt, Jordan White (could rise after combine if 40 is better), Reuben Randle, Ryan Broyles, Jeff Fuller (could improved in combine as he had a real down year), Jarius Wright, Reuben Randle and Tommy Streeter. I do not want Nick Toon & ambivalent on Criner who I've not focused on.
Old 01-13-2012   #29
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Guys like Steve Smith are the exception, not the rule. Look around the NFL most WR's are tall and athletic. We're not saying that Wright can't play football in the NFL because of his vertical challenges only that if I have 2 guys of comparable talent levels I'm taking the taller one.

I also wonder what will happen to Wright when the Combine comes around. Every year when players are measured many of them shrink from their publicized height and weight. Lots of 5'11" 200 lbs. guys turn out to be 5'10" and 185 lbs. Are colleges to poor to afford a workable tape measure, to dumb to know how to use it, or just liars?
Most likely lying for pro scouting.

Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin do well despite their size too. Really it comes down to speed, all those guys are burners. If Wright can run in the 4.3-4 range he'll likely find a spot in the first.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #30
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Here are my second choices:

1. Dwight Jones WR
2. Brandon Washington LG/OT
3. Winston Guy S/CB/ returner
4. Ryan Broyles WR whether ready by opener or not. Kid will be good.
5. Philip Blake C/OG his age is concern but I expect Myers to be re-signed & remain as starter. Blake will have time to learn system & can play RG/RT
6. Neiko THorpe FS/CB 6'2" 190 4.5 2yr CB & S as a senior. BPA
7. Kevin Koger TE
I could live with this easily, I'm liking 1-6 but don't know anything about #7. Blake helped his position in the draft in their bowl game against Ta'amu and now I have doubts that he's available this late, if so he's great value. I would like to see a NT in the 3rd or 4th but Broyles is really good value depending on injury concerns. I'd switch 4 and 5, Broyles injury will drop him significantly in such a deep WR class and Blakes stock is rising, this way you ensure getting Blake. Overall good mock.

1. Jones-instant starter.
2. Washington-should be a starter quickly
3. Guy-vast improvement in depth behind Quin
4. Broyles-great value here depending on injury issues.
5. Blake-great value here, might not be available.
6. Thorpe-improves FS depth
7. Koger-not another TE

Last edited by Wolf6151; 01-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2012   #31
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jordan White is my favorite 2nd tier WR. He coould be the best WR in this draft and could be available in the 3rd rd.

I would love a draft where the Texans ended up with

Rd.1 Glenn or Washington
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White

This is the start of my next mock. Speaking of that, Bringing Russell Sheppard home with a later rd pick would be something I would look at. What rd do y'all think he will be drafted?

Sheppard is ultra talented, but didn't really live up to the hype at LSU. Who would have with Jefferson/Lee playing QB. Sheppard is also a very good PR.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012   #32
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Jordan White is my favorite 2nd tier WR. He coould be the best WR in this draft and could be available in the 3rd rd.

I would love a draft where the Texans ended up with

Rd.1 Glenn or Washington
Rd.2 Chapman
Rd.3 White

This is the start of my next mock. Speaking of that, Bringing Russell Sheppard home with a later rd pick would be something I would look at. What rd do y'all think he will be drafted?

Sheppard is ultra talented, but didn't really live up to the hype at LSU. Who would have with Jefferson/Lee playing QB. Sheppard is also a very good PR.
While I like your idea of filling other positions first and waiting til the 3rd for a WR I'd be more inclined to go after Streeter, Fuller, Criner, or Jenkins. I like the fact that all of them have played against a much higher level of competition. Actually waiting on a WR until the 3rd makes me nervous, while their will be some good ones left, we're looking for a starter level WR, a stud.

Wow, Glenn and Chapman would be sweet.
Old 01-13-2012   #33
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I maybe looking into 2012 draft too hard but hear me out. It seems to me our needs are WR, OG, and ILB. The most obvious need is #2WR and likely to draft high in 1st or 2nd rd. Looking at our history of draft under Kubiak and Smith, we may not go after OG until 3rd rd and later. After all, we've got one of the best Oline in the NFL and a decent back up would work for now. I think, the same can be said to our ILB position. We do have very talented LB group in the league.

I am not expert of mock draft nor familiar with the 2012 prospects (Limited access to NCAA football and do not see much of the games) So, I don't know if there's a quality depth of talent at OG and ILB position in 2012 draft and if thin, may change everything of what I mentioned earlier. In case there's enough talents at both positions, I see our draft from 1-6 rds goes down by position like the followings:

1st rd WR/?
2nd rd WR/?
3rd rd OG/ILB/?
4th rd OG/ILB/?
5th rd OG/ILB/?
6th rd OG/ILB/?

***I ain't sure where WR,OG, and ILB will be drafted so, I just mentioned where these positions likely to be filled. We may draft OLB that able to play ILB so we can't count out OLB prospect*******

The question marks are the big question.

Looking at last year's draft, Wade seems to has a lot of say in who to draft and I think, this trend will continue in 2012 as well. Who or by position would Wade prefers to draft in early rds? CB, S, or NT? I think, 1 or 2nd rd Wade may pick his player if available.

Like I said, I maybe looking into 2012 too hard but would like to hear yall thoughts.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012   #34
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Wrong thread.
Old 01-16-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
I maybe looking into 2012 draft too hard but hear me out. It seems to me our needs are WR, OG, and ILB. The most obvious need is #2WR and likely to draft high in 1st or 2nd rd. Looking at our history of draft under Kubiak and Smith, we may not go after OG until 3rd rd and later. After all, we've got one of the best Oline in the NFL and a decent back up would work for now. I think, the same can be said to our ILB position. We do have very talented LB group in the league.

I am not expert of mock draft nor familiar with the 2012 prospects (Limited access to NCAA football and do not see much of the games) So, I don't know if there's a quality depth of talent at OG and ILB position in 2012 draft and if thin, may change everything of what I mentioned earlier. In case there's enough talents at both positions, I see our draft from 1-6 rds goes down by position like the followings:

1st rd WR/?
2nd rd WR/?
3rd rd OG/ILB/?
4th rd OG/ILB/?
5th rd OG/ILB/?
6th rd OG/ILB/?

***I ain't sure where WR,OG, and ILB will be drafted so, I just mentioned where these positions likely to be filled. We may draft OLB that able to play ILB so we can't count out OLB prospect*******

The question marks are the big question.

Looking at last year's draft, Wade seems to has a lot of say in who to draft and I think, this trend will continue in 2012 as well. Who or by position would Wade prefers to draft in early rds? CB, S, or NT? I think, 1 or 2nd rd Wade may pick his player if available.

Like I said, I maybe looking into 2012 too hard but would like to hear yall thoughts.

Go Texans!!!
I think 2 of first 3 picks and maybe 3 of 4 will go to O. Guys will be moving up & sliding down until draft so hard to nail down. As WR &OG are considered by most to be priority need, why not get them when you can? I like Derek Wolfe in second DT/DE to train behind Smith but he will prob move up from our #52.
Old 01-22-2012   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

This unit will have to improve if the Cats hope to stand up to an even tougher SEC schedule next year. Mister Cobble (who has the greatest name in all of football) and Donte Rumph will be back to anchor the middle while seniors Taylor Windham and Collins Ukwu will most likely start on the ends.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2014&genpos=DT
Old 01-23-2012   #37
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Here mine
1 Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers 6-2 215

2 Alameda Ta'amu DT Washington 6-3 337

3 Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin 6-4 318

4 Shea McClellin DE/OLB Boise State 6-3 255

5 Hebron Fangupo DT Brigham Young 6-1 331

6 Chris Rainey RB Florida 5-08 175 4.36

7 Devon Wylie WR/returner Fresno State 5-10 185 4.38speed
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Here mine

I think most of us who followed Wisconsin will say Zeitler is a solid 2nd round probably 17 and up. Ta'Amu while I would scream would make me uneasy. I'm just more of a Poe fan. I think you'd do better keeping Fangupo in 5th & using 2nd for another player. Don't see 2 NT as Cody will remain. My 2 cents.
Old 01-23-2012   #39
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here mine

Zietler will be gone, doubtful McCellin falls that far.

Love this mock, especially Fangupo and Wylie picks.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012   #40
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here mine

Nice....let me cherry pick yours

1- Mohammed Sanu WR - Almost Andre like without the elite top end speed.
2- Alameda Ta'amu DT - Big, big man. Would round out DL depth quite nicely.
3- Ryan Miller OG - I think he'll be here unless some team goes bananas. Eric Winston-lite
4- Jake Bequette DE/rushOLB - Barwin like size and speed, natural pass rusher
5- Chad Diehl FB - The Diehler. Blowing holes in OL since 1863
6- Sean Cattouse SS - big, athletic, will push Quin and Manning
7- Devon Wylie KR - just fast.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read