Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2012   #1
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fottball Outsiders HOU/BAL Offensive/Defensive ratings

Football Outsiders have the Texans ranked higher than the Ravens in both defense and offense. This actually gives me some confidence that the Texans may have a decent chance in this game. The pure yardage rankings are pretty much meaningless. What I wish I could see though, is where the Ravens rank in home games vs the Texans in road games.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...8-dvoa-ratings
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fottball Outsiders HOU/BAL Offensive/Defensive ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
Football Outsiders have the Texans ranked higher than the Ravens in both defense and offense. This actually gives me some confidence that the Texans may have a decent chance in this game. The pure yardage rankings are pretty much meaningless. What I wish I could see though, is where the Ravens rank in home games vs the Texans in road games.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...8-dvoa-ratings
These team are equal with one another. This game comes down to who doesn't make the mistake.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not going to even bother learning the intricacies of that stuff, but cool.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at these numbers:

Football Outsiders Ravens v. Texans matchup.

What makes numbers a little peculiar for the Texans is that the offensive numbers are slightly artificially high because of the Schaub games in the mix.

What is also interesting is if you throw out the Wadeless-game and the last game playing with backups, the Texans defensive numbers change. Worst defensive performance of the year was against Carolina. (Who had sick big offensive numbers all year).

DVOA in simple terms looks at play to play efficiency based on opponent and where you are on the field. It factors in game situations. Negative numbers on defense are good, positive numbers for both special teams and offense.

Everybody talks about TJ's play, but Flacco actually has a shorter yards per catch than TJ.

This time of year, you pretty much want to throw out the numbers. On a one game basis--it's a lot about ref calls, ball bounces for turnovers, a catch or a drop here or there.
Old 01-09-2012   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
You have to be a Premium Member to look at that link.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #6
pickles
waterboy

Hey all. Ravens fan here. Not to cause trouble but maybe a little smack talk.

Anyways, I think the teams are close, but ultimately- big shocker- I think the Ravens will win, because of QB play and homefield.

And, to the OP's link, I don't really see how you can say the HOU offense or defense is better than the Ravens. I think w Schaub, I give the advantage to HOU's offense over the Ravens. Without him, I don't because the great advantage HOU has is a sure to be underutilized Andre Johnson. But I don't really see how you can say Ravens D is in any way or shape inferior to HOU's. I really don't.

Well, anyways, good luck on Sunday. I think you boys are going to need it.
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #7
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

They're very equal statistically, and Football Outsiders' numbers and tallies (a pretty good indicator, read the article) have us well above the Ravens defensively.

I think the teams are very evenly matched. If you go by traditional stats, both teams are right there with each other in pretty much every main category. Stats don't tell the whole story though. Talent-wise also equal. Where the Ravens win is experience on defense and, I guess, overall.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2012   #8
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Win the turnover game, win the football game.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #9
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30535 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
These team are equal with one another. This game comes down to who doesn't make the mistake.
These teams would be equal with one another, if everybody is healthy. As it is right now, Baltimore has the better football team and is playing at home... but that doesn`t mean that we can`t win. Passion, hard work and making the right play at the right time and we are going to the conference championship game.
LikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #10
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40389 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Look at these numbers:

Football Outsiders Ravens v. Texans matchup.

What makes numbers a little peculiar for the Texans is that the offensive numbers are slightly artificially high because of the Schaub games in the mix.
Yeah, I don't have premium access, either, but you're absolutely right about the offense. These numbers don't account for the loss of Schaub, but their playoff odds do, and Baltimore odds to win the SB are 10.3% to Houston's 5.9%. Which, I guess, means they're giving the edge to Bal in this game.

We'll see... Like other people suggested, these teams are pretty even overall.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

If Jacoby can bring it like he did last time, then I'd say we're pretty even offensively. If he disappears, then Boldin & Torry gives Baltimore an advantage we can't match with a cautious QB & gimpy Andre.

Even though we held Torry Smith in check the last time, their willingness to stretch the field was the difference.

We need to go deep early & often to keep the running game effective.
Old 01-10-2012   #12
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3744 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the big factor on Sunday is going to be that T.J. has never heard so much crowd noise in his life while under center as he is going to hear in this game. I know you guys feel that the Reliant crowd played a hand in getting to Dalton and Cincinnati. Trust me on this: M&T Bank is freakin' LOUD!!!

Other than that, both offenses and defenses are pretty similar. The only difference is a lot more playoff experience on Baltimore's side of the ball. Then again, that didn't make all that much difference in the Steelers-Broncos game, did it?
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
Trust me on this: M&T Bank is freakin' LOUD!!!
Good thing we don't audible.

Old 01-10-2012   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Ultimately, we have a 5th round rookie QB starting against a very good defense and the Ravens have a QB who has a 4-3 playoff record going against a very good defense. Both teams can run.

A few funny bounces of the ball and this thing could go either way and it might not even be close. Either team could gain an advantage and blow the game open.

To me, this is the AFC Championship. The Patriots and Broncos have too many weaknesses. I think the winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #15
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the big factor on Sunday is going to be that T.J. has never heard so much crowd noise in his life while under center as he is going to hear in this game. I know you guys feel that the Reliant crowd played a hand in getting to Dalton and Cincinnati. Trust me on this: M&T Bank is freakin' LOUD!!!

Other than that, both offenses and defenses are pretty similar. The only difference is a lot more playoff experience on Baltimore's side of the ball. Then again, that didn't make all that much difference in the Steelers-Broncos game, did it?
Somehow I doubt it'll be much louder in Balt than it was for the primetime game in Indy.
Old 01-10-2012   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Question about playoff experience....

When most of your experience in the playoffs is losing, how does that make you a "battle tested playoff team"? They haven't made it past the division game since 2008, only to lose the in the conference game. Most of their wins in the recent playoffs were one and done or losing the division game. Now, they aren't the Texans, it wasn't the first playoff game/first playoff win for them so it's not as big as our win was last week. Playoffs are tricky because ultimately all the really, really good teams that make it lose out. Except one. The Ravens have made it (and by all means, please don't take this the wrong way, I think the Ravens have a great team) but tend to lose soon after.

I guess what I'm trying to say is playoff "experience" is a bit overrated. Some extra nerves maybe? Crowd is a little louder? Ray Lewis' face is even funnier? (Ok that WAS a jab lol)

I think this is going to be really good defensive struggle of a game. I do believe that Texans offense is a bit more dynamic than Ravens but Ravens D, despite Ray Lewis making the probowl because he's Ray Lewis, has the edge over the young guns of the south.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #17
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 9013 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Both teams are ran the same way. Defense and rushing. Even tho Baltimore sometimes stray away from that and go pass heavy. Its going to comedown to who creates more turnovers.
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #18
Daravenator
Veteran

Rep Power: 3744 Daravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respectedDaravenator is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Question about playoff experience....

When most of your experience in the playoffs is losing, how does that make you a "battle tested playoff team"? They haven't made it past the division game since 2008, only to lose the in the conference game. Most of their wins in the recent playoffs were one and done or losing the division game. Now, they aren't the Texans, it wasn't the first playoff game/first playoff win for them so it's not as big as our win was last week. Playoffs are tricky because ultimately all the really, really good teams that make it lose out. Except one. The Ravens have made it (and by all means, please don't take this the wrong way, I think the Ravens have a great team) but tend to lose soon after.

I guess what I'm trying to say is playoff "experience" is a bit overrated. Some extra nerves maybe? Crowd is a little louder? Ray Lewis' face is even funnier? (Ok that WAS a jab lol)

I think this is going to be really good defensive struggle of a game. I do believe that Texans offense is a bit more dynamic than Ravens but Ravens D, despite Ray Lewis making the probowl because he's Ray Lewis, has the edge over the young guns of the south.
Well, in Flacco and Rice's's first three years they have been to the playoffs three times. They went to the AFCC in 2008/2009 (lost to Steelers, who won SB), to the Divisional in 2009/2010 (lost to Colts, who lost SB) and the Divisional in 2010/2011 (lost to Steelers, who lost SB). So losing three playoff games (they are 4-3 in playoff games, with all 4 W's on the road) against three teams that at least made it to the SB, if not winning it, is doing pretty good in my eyes.
Daravenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #19
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
To me, this is the AFC Championship. The Patriots and Broncos have too many weaknesses. I think the winner of this game goes to the Super Bowl.
I have been telling folks this all week and I completely agree. Nice post Mr. Neck!
Old 01-10-2012   #20
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, in Flacco and Rice's's first three years they have been to the playoffs three times. They went to the AFCC in 2008/2009 (lost to Steelers, who won SB), to the Divisional in 2009/2010 (lost to Colts, who lost SB) and the Divisional in 2010/2011 (lost to Steelers, who lost SB). So losing three playoff games (they are 4-3 in playoff games, with all 4 W's on the road) against three teams that at least made it to the SB, if not winning it, is doing pretty good in my eyes.
I really want to negative rep you just for being a Ravens fan this week, but I will refrain. Good look to your team!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read