Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-11-2012   #81
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Must spread rep yada yada yada.

Nice post man. Now you are making some sense. I think you finally communicated your point fully, and I now see you and I are in 100% agreement. We need to do everything we can to resign Arian but if he goes off asking for crazy money like Chris Johnson, then we have to sign him to his tender and if some team is crazy enough to pay him what he wants, then we can be happy with the picks.

I want to keep Arian and to be honest, I think we will. I mean what I said when I really don't believe Arian is the type to go Chris Johnson crazy on us. I'd say 5 years $40M with $18M guaranteed is about right.
I definitely think that we will pay him even if it's Chris Johnson money for the record.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #82
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The franchise tag (used as an indicator of top contracts rather than as an option) for RB's is $1 mil less than for LB's so it isn't a huge difference.
I still tend to think of him as a DE even though he's now a LB on this defense.

And I know DEs are getting paid. Aren't they close to being - on average - the highest paid position the league?

If so, it seems like Mario might want to go to another team just to get a contract for DE money instead of LB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Personally I have always thought that was people repeating crap from some scouting reports. Every year I hear this brought up and pay particular attention to him for a game or two and I don't see it, but JMO.
Vinny broke down his play for me awhile back and showed clear evidence where Mario was letting up when plays went away from him. He did not stay active toward the ball like you see with many other players. He also analyzed some of his technique, which seemed to show Mario letting up when blocked far enough outside. That was from the 2009 season, though.

Wade is impressed with him, though, and at this point, I have to give him the nod out of respect.
Old 01-11-2012   #83
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that we need to retain Arian, but I share Tex's concern for RB shelf-life. If I'm Rick Smith, I start by tendering Arian for the 3.3 or whatever million for a 1st and 3rd and see what happens there. I would expect that nobody would give him a huge contract and give up a 1st and 3rd for Arian due to the costs. That gets us through 2012 with Arian likely tearing it up on the field again. Come 2013, the salary cap rises a bunch, probably around 10 million, and that there is more than enough money to sign Arian to a good deal or simply franchise tag him for ~9 million.

That plan would give us enough money to work with in 2012 to re-sign Mario, Dreessen and Myers to new deals and keep the core of this team going for 4 more years. Keep building through the draft and use excess cap money to extend guys like Schaub, Cushing and Brown.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #84
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Remember we are Denver south and they did trade away one of the best and most productive backs in the league in Clinton Portis. And we have a very very good backup already in place that could start on most teams. Just sayin!

It's in our (Denver's) history so you have to wonder if maybe they might be thinking About what kind of value they could get for him in a trade. Would they sign him and trade him if it meant getting a top 2 or 3 player at a position like CB? Would you? I love Foster but he does have a problem holding on to the ball and Smithiak has proven they are more than capable of building a top rated offense with late round guys.
You're confusing Shanahan with Smithiak. Shanny Sr. made those deals. Have you seen signs that Smithiak will "flip" his players like some folks flip houses?

I haven't. Of course, I could have missed something.
Old 01-11-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You're confusing Shanahan with Smithiak. Shanny Sr. made those deals. Have you seen signs that Smithiak will "flip" his players like some folks flip houses?

I haven't. Of course, I could have missed something.
Have they ever had a glut of talent at one position to be able to do such?

I don't think Bob would let them, but if Smithiak can sell it....... who knows?
Old 01-11-2012   #86
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook

Rep Power: 409 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
This is just incredibly flawed thinking.

You don't pay guys on what they have done. You pay guys on what you expect them to do going forward. You don't pay someone crazy money because you got a bargain for him. It won't be worth it at all if Foster isn't an elite back for several seasons, or blows his knee out. What he did seasons before that won't matter, because those seasons are gone and a thing of the past.
The only tangible marker for how much a player is worth is their previous accolades. I understand that the salary implies a certain amount of performance going forward, but age and previous accomplishments are a huge determining factor in a players worth.

In the long run, if Foster gets 9.3 mil for the next 5 years. If you factor in the 250k he made last year, and the 500k he made this year. You are talking about ~47.25 MIL. That's under 7 MIL for 7 years of work for the Texans. Two of which have already been proven worth it. I don't think many GMs would turn down that kind of deal for the caliber of RB that Foster is.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #87
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
(1) The NFL works in a way where elite players at their position will always look at the last player's deal and use that as a barometer as to what they should get. It sucks and it's a flawed system, because contracts just continue to go up and up and up because of that, (2) but that's the way it is until the owners come together and stop that ****. But until that happens, elite players like Arian will ask for what the last guy at his status got or even more. And as it stands, Arian's demands will exceed what a RB is worth paying in my eyes.
While I agree we should do all we can to keep both Arian and Ben Tate without breaking our vacuuming out our piggy bank, I have a couple of nits.

(1) Using one's peers' salary/compensation level to gauge what you should be earning is the American way. It's how lawyers, engineers, surgeons, plumbers, CEOs and any other "skilled" individual negotiates for their compensation level. That strategy is not unique to the NFL.

(2) Ummm... isn't the term for that "Collusion"? And isn't that illegal? I know it is in MLB.

BTW, I think Ben Tate will seek "greener" pastures before Arian. Arian just doesn't seem to be an "I'm all about getting paid" type of guy. Tate, however, might just want to go someplace where he can "be the Man" and not be in Arian's shadow. (

We may be worried about the wrong guy leaving. I want both of them.
...but I'm greedy

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read