Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012   #61
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Did you not watch Tate in this last game?!? He looked pretty bad. Thinking Tate can replace everything Foster does is nuts.
Did you not watch Foster in the Raiders game?? He did not look that good. See how silly that sounds?? I don't really care if Tate had a game that wasn't lights out. I'll look at Tate's entire season where he tore it up and played fantastic over one game that happened last week in a high stakes playoff game. I never said Tate was as good, but that he was a great RB that we still have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Alright fine, we have some bad signings with older guys like Larry Johnson but Johnson was also much older than Foster when he got his contract and had much more wear and tear on his body. I seriously think you underestimate Foster.
Why? Because I'm using history and evidence where teams have been successful with a great O line especially in a ZBS system where we've seen a ton of average backs do well and be productive? Or is it because I've seen what huge mistakes many teams have made that have invested tons of money at the RB position? Or that I remember history where a RB around the same age as Foster on this same team never played another down out of nowhere? You can call that under estimating Foster all you want, but I'd call that being objective and not getting overly attached to players on this team at a position that is historically pretty easy to replace if your Oline does their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I really don't get you, man. Do you not remember the days of Wali Lundy, Ron Dayne, Sophomore Slaton, Samkon Gado, Ahman Green, Jonathan Wells, Chris Taylor, Ryan Moats, and all the other crappy RBs in Texans history?!? And you just want to let Arian walk because of a few bad RB signings that occurred late in guys careers?
So because Kubiak was a complete dumbass with his first few guys he picked to play RB for this team under a poor O line that was still being rebuilt, I'm supposed to be shell shocked over that? Sorry, but those were just majorly stupid picks ups, and you're using Dom Capers era backs to try and make an argument here which isn't effective to your case. I noticed you conveniently left out Domanick Davis on that list whose career died out of nowhere.

As of lately Kubiak has done rather well at picking up RB's with Foster, Tate, and Ward. That is at least a positive line over the last few seasons where we have the deepest RB platoon in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
And you just want to let Arian walk because of a few bad RB signings that occurred late in guys careers?
Nice try by using the "late in their careers" line, but I mentioned CJ earlier who is very young and Deangello Williams isn't that old either. Those were stupid signings because their teams paid to much. There are plenty of guys that were great early on and flamed out as well either due to injury or other factors like Jamal Anderson (Career ending injury), DD (Career ending injury), BO JACKSON (Career ending injury), Billy Simms (Horrible knee injury), Gale Sayers (horrible knee injury that cut his career short), Lendale White, Terrell Davis (career died after his 4th season), Kevin Jones, Christian Okoye, Steve Slaton, Rubean Mayes, Icky Woods, and etc.

Do I really need to continue on with examples for you to understand why there is validity to these concerns?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I mean what if Arian can have a career like Ladainian Tomlinson or Marshall Faulk? Why does he automatically have to be reduced to Larry Johnson? And it still remains to be seen what history will say about the Chris Johnson contract. He still finished with over 1,000 yards in a terrible season for him, so we'll see if he turns it back around. I suspect that he will.
His value to the Titans will never be worth what they decided to pay him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
For every Larry Johnson that only has two great seasons and then sucks there is an Adrian Peterson, a Maurice Jones-Drew, a Steven Jackson, etc. Running backs aren't automatically bad buys. There are risks with every single position in the NFL. I think you take a chance on the best RB in the NFL.
And how much has Peterson and MJD helped to win their teams SB's or even kept them as top winning teams?? AP is not a good example to your cause either and is possibly an example for me considering that he just tore his ACL after getting a huge contract. You think the Vikings might be wishing they could take that back now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
But hey who cares. We can win with any RB, right? The same way we won with Ron Dayne and Jonathan Wells?
This is just a poor statement man. You have to leach onto Jonathan Wells who was the starting RB in the Texans first season or two of an expansion team when Tony Boselli got hurt?? Lol! Talk about a reach there. Ron Dayne? A guy who should have never even been on this team that was a Denver disciple of Kubiaks on a team that had came off of a 2-14 season? How the hell do you put face palms out there when you write stuff like this?

The fact is that the RB position is a crap shoot as far as "injuries" goes. You simply can't put to much loyalty and emotion to players at that position, because historically their careers have to high of a tendency to end badly or to change dramatically due to ACL tears, micro fracture surgeries, and other career threatening surgeries that can either end a career or dramatically change a guy's skills.

I never once stated "not" to sign Arian Foster. I stated to "not" to pay him like Williams and CJ or that close to it, because no RB is worth that. I watched the Broncos trade Clinton Portis when he was amazing, and they did just fine with Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson and a few other guys under Shanahan in this same system. This is not about one guy. It's about an entire team and some positions are a lot easier to replace high production with than others and Foster happens to play a position that is probably one of the easiest position to replace on a team if you have a very good O line.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #62
Say Watt
Site Contributor
 
Say Watt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,921
Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Did you not watch Foster in the Raiders game?? He did not look that good. See how silly that sounds?? I don't really care if Tate had a game that wasn't lights out. I'll look at Tate's entire season where he tore it up and played fantastic over one game that happened last week in a high stakes playoff game. I never said Tate was as good, but that he was a great RB that we still have.



Why? Because I'm using history and evidence where teams have been successful with a great O line especially in a ZBS system where we've seen a ton of average backs do well and be productive? Or is it because I've seen what huge mistakes many teams have made that have invested tons of money at the RB position? Or that I remember history where a RB around the same age as Foster on this same team never played another down out of nowhere? You can call that under estimating Foster all you want, but I'd call that being objective and not getting overly attached to players on this team at a position that is historically pretty easy to replace if your Oline does their job.



So because Kubiak was a complete dumbass with his first few guys he picked to play RB for this team under a poor O line that was still being rebuilt, I'm supposed to be shell shocked over that? Sorry, but those were just majorly stupid picks ups, and you're using Dom Capers era backs to try and make an argument here which isn't effective to your case. I noticed you conveniently left out Domanick Davis on that list whose career died out of nowhere.

As of lately Kubiak has done rather well at picking up RB's with Foster, Tate, and Ward. That is at least a positive line over the last few seasons where we have the deepest RB platoon in the league.



Nice try by using the "late in their careers" line, but I mentioned CJ earlier who is very young and Deangello Williams isn't that old either. Those were stupid signings because their teams paid to much. There are plenty of guys that were great early on and flamed out as well either due to injury or other factors like Jamal Anderson (Career ending injury), DD (Career ending injury), BO JACKSON (Career ending injury), Billy Simms (Horrible knee injury), Gale Sayers (horrible knee injury that cut his career short), Lendale White, Terrell Davis (career died after his 4th season), Kevin Jones, Christian Okoye, Steve Slaton, Rubean Mayes, Icky Woods, and etc.

Do I really need to continue on with examples for you to understand why there is validity to these concerns?




His value to the Titans will never be worth what they decided to pay him.



And how much has Peterson and MJD helped to win their teams SB's or even kept them as top winning teams?? AP is not a good example to your cause either and is possibly an example for me considering that he just tore his ACL after getting a huge contract. You think the Vikings might be wishing they could take that back now?



This is just a poor statement man. You have to leach onto Jonathan Wells who was the starting RB in the Texans first season or two of an expansion team when Tony Boselli got hurt?? Lol! Talk about a reach there. Ron Dayne? A guy who should have never even been on this team that was a Denver disciple of Kubiaks on a team that had came off of a 2-14 season? How the hell do you put face palms out there when you write stuff like this?

The fact is that the RB position is a crap shoot as far as "injuries" goes. You simply can't put to much loyalty and emotion to players at that position, because historically their careers have to high of a tendency to end badly or to change dramatically due to ACL tears, micro fracture surgeries, and other career threatening surgeries that can either end a career or dramatically change a guy's skills.

I never once stated "not" to sign Arian Foster. I stated to "not" to pay him like Williams and CJ or that close to it, because no RB is worth that. I watched the Broncos trade Clinton Portis when he was amazing, and they did just fine with Tatum Bell and Mike Anderson and a few other guys under Shanahan in this same system. This is not about one guy. It's about an entire team and some positions are a lot easier to replace high production with than others and Foster happens to play a position that is probably one of the easiest position to replace on a team if you have a very good O line.
Good Lord talking to you is like yelling at a brick wall. You're right, I'm wrong. Feel better?

Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #63
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Good Lord talking to you is like yelling at a brick wall. You're right, I'm wrong. Feel better?

So I'm a brick wall because I don't agree with paying Arian Foster or any other RB "Chris Johnson" money?? I don't think so. How about making a better case for your position instead of using jokes like Jonathan Wells and Ron Dayne's poor play to justify that? I gave you a long list of RB disasters that flamed out who were great at young ages since you claimed I was only using old broken down backs. The history and the risk factor is there regardless of how much you'd like to deny it or overlook it. No need to get petty and chippy about it though. It's not like I'm saying that a guy like Yao Ming wouldn't be a good long term investment.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #64
Say Watt
Site Contributor
 
Say Watt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,921
Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
So I'm a brick wall because I don't agree with paying Arian Foster or any other RB "Chris Johnson" money?? I don't think so. How about making a better case for your position instead of using jokes like Jonathan Wells and Ron Dayne's poor play to justify that? I gave you a long list of RB disasters that flamed out who were great at young ages since you claimed I was only using old broken down backs. The history and the risk factor is there regardless of how much you'd like to deny it or overlook it. No need to get petty and chippy about it though. It's not like I'm saying that a guy like Yao Ming wouldn't be a good long term investment.
I haven't ever advocated paying Chris Johnson type money to anyone. DeAngelo Williams contract is a little more manageable (although it was a stupid contract because Williams hadn't done much in 2 seasons before the big contract). It was a silly contract, but it was more ridiculous because Williams is 3 years older than Foster. CJ1K's contract was even more ridiculous because no RB is worth that kind of money. That isn't what I'm arguing.

But it sounds like some of you advocate basically just letting Arian walk and not even waste our time going to the table because RBs are essentially a dime a dozen. So that is why I mentioned the Texans past RBs. I listed all those other backs because prior to Arian, the RB position for us had been a revolving door, and we had a bunch of jokes at RB aside from a couple of good years from DD and one good year from Slaton. I do think you have forgotten just how bad things were at the position if you think we can just let Arian walk for nothing and think we can just plug in Tate & Ward and still be one of the top rushing teams in the league. Won't happen.

Oh and Jonathan Wells played in 15 games in 2005, the year before Kubiak got here.

It irritates me because I remember what it was like watching Slaton fumble games away. I remember what it was like watching Ron Dayne end promising careers. And now that we finally have a GREAT RB, many of you advocate that we just let him go and focus on Mario "Takes Games Off" Williams?!?

Finally, what the hell does Yao Ming have to do with the conversation?
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #65
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I haven't ever advocated paying Chris Johnson type money to anyone. DeAngelo Williams contract is a little more manageable (although it was a stupid contract because Williams hadn't done much in 2 seasons before the big contract). It was a silly contract, but it was more ridiculous because Williams is 3 years older than Foster. CJ1K's contract was even more ridiculous because no RB is worth that kind of money. That isn't what I'm arguing.
But Arian is going to ask for that kind of money. He'd be stupid not to. He is a very young guy and he should get the most money he can at this early stage in his career especially when his career could end very easily at his position. I can't fault Arian for wanting to get his just like I couldn't fault Wade for wanting to do the same.

The NFL works in a way where elite players at their position will always look at the last player's deal and use that as a barometer as to what they should get. It sucks and it's a flawed system, because contracts just continue to go up and up and up because of that, but that's the way it is until the owners come together and stop that ****. But until that happens, elite players like Arian will ask for what the last guy at his status got or even more. And as it stands, Arian's demands will exceed what a RB is worth paying in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
But it sounds like some of you advocate basically just letting Arian walk and not even waste our time going to the table because RBs are essentially a dime a dozen.
No, I never said that at all. They are not a dime a dozen and they have their value, but their values always hinge upon how strong or weak their O line is a majority of the time. I certainly wouldn't want to let him walk, but if we pay him crazy cash, it will be harder to trade him and get the full value that teams would likely pay and we'd be limiting our trade options due to his new contract that a lot of teams wouldn't want to touch.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
So that is why I mentioned the Texans past RBs. I listed all those other backs because prior to Arian, the RB position for us had been a revolving door, and we had a bunch of jokes at RB aside from a couple of good years from DD and one good year from Slaton. I do think you have forgotten just how bad things were at the position if you think we can just let Arian walk for nothing and think we can just plug in Tate & Ward and still be one of the top rushing teams in the league. Won't happen.
Oh, I have not forgotten one bit, but those guys we had were all horrible decisions from the jump that had STUPID written all over them as soon as we made the deals. That was a big reason why I couldn't stand Kubiak from the jump for how poorly he handled our running game early on especially for a guy that was supposed to be this genius offensive guru from the ZBS system in Denver. Kubiak's last few decisions have gotten better though and his track record is looking better as far as our RB's go.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
It irritates me because I remember what it was like watching Slaton fumble games away. I remember what it was like watching Ron Dayne end promising careers. And now that we finally have a GREAT RB, many of you advocate that we just let him go and focus on Mario "Takes Games Off" Williams?!?

Wo now, slow down on that stuff. I've called Mario overrated for years and I don't want to sign him either. We've got plenty of killers in Reed, Barwin, Smith, and Watt now that are a lot more effective than what Mario has been. I'd rather pay Foster than pay Mario even if we spend that ridiculous Chris Johnson type of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
Finally, what the hell does Yao Ming have to do with the conversation?
Because Yao Ming was a perfect example of a guy that people in this city got way to emotionally attached to, because he was 7'6 Asian guy that people were fond of personally and didn't want to accept what a horrible investment he had been towards the Rockets franchise as far as "building a contender" went. I talked about it for years and caught hell for it and many of you guys are getting just as angry about some people not wanting to sign Foster for crazy money. I want to sign Foster big time just to reiterate that point again. I just want the Texans to have a reasonable cut off point and stick to that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #66
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 61
Posts: 7,892
Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Wo now, slow down on that stuff. I've called Mario overrated for years and I don't want to sign him either. We've got plenty of killers in Reed, Barwin, Smith, and Watt now that are a lot more effective than what Mario has been. I'd rather pay Foster than pay Mario even if we spend that ridiculous Chris Johnson type of money.
Really? Doesn't that run counter to your earlier statement about keeping defensive linemen? What was your opinion of how he played the linebacker position this year before he got hurt. I seem to recall him nearly leading the league in sacks, plus numerous other QB hurries while learning his new position.

And I didn't ever say we shouldn't pay Arian, just be smart about it, and keep in mind past precedent.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #67
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 48
Posts: 31,765
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

The interesting thing about Mario is that he will demand a much higher contract than a RB based upon his position(s). And his motor has been questioned for years. So what is the potential that he loses his hunger once he's paid?
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2012   #68
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 61
Posts: 7,892
Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The interesting thing about Mario is that he will demand a much higher contract than a RB based upon his position(s). And his motor has been questioned for years. So what is the potential that he loses his hunger once he's paid?
Well, Mario's already been paid the big money. Seems to me that if he was going to coast, he would have done it before now?

But I can see this thread is starting to derail. There's already a couple of discussions about Mario, and I don't think any minds are going to get changed.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #69
Ryan
THIS YEAR
 
Ryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Beaumont,Tx
Section: Section 135, Row F
Posts: 5,274
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The interesting thing about Mario is that he will demand a much higher contract than a RB based upon his position(s). And his motor has been questioned for years. So what is the potential that he loses his hunger once he's paid?


Considering his rookie contract was through the roof he's already made a lot of money in this league.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #70
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,392
Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The interesting thing about Mario is that he will demand a much higher contract than a RB based upon his position(s). And his motor has been questioned for years. So what is the potential that he loses his hunger once he's paid?
I'd love to see Mario play on a defense with a bunch of play-makers in the front 7

I've never thought he took plays off. On plays where he's got backside contain is the only plays I can identify that some may think he's taking off.

But If Mario can play on a team with Barwin, Reed, JJWAtt.... Cushing & Demeco.. I think he'll be that beast we all know he can be.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #71
Norg
Hall of Fame
 
Norg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,852
Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

What yeah had some 1 yard carries in the last game but when they put him in the 4th qtr he ran for like 7 yards and a first down which was like 8 yards thats not bad its great
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #72
Double Barrel
Modified Simian
 
Double Barrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Onward, Upward, and back into the Trees
Section: Gridiron, Tx
Age: 48
Posts: 31,765
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

I was just asking a devil's advocate question about Mario. I hope we can keep him and see what he can do with [hopefully] Wade defense in another year.

Good points that he's been paid, though. Let's just hope that Arian turns out the same way, because it is certain that the Texans will pay the man.
__________________
"Football is only a diversion." ~ HOUSTON TEXANS
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #73
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Really? Doesn't that run counter to your earlier statement about keeping defensive linemen? What was your opinion of how he played the linebacker position this year before he got hurt. I seem to recall him nearly leading the league in sacks, plus numerous other QB hurries while learning his new position.
Mario would be a complete waste of cash to me. He has already been over paid for years as it is to me and he doesn't give full effort all of the time. But, whether you agree with that part or not, we have a full stable of great pass rushers with or without Mario, so he is no longer "a need" for us. We're finally stacked as far as pass rushers go. Guys like Reed, Watt, and Barwin just seem so much more hungry and give a much better effort than Mario ever will. So, yeah at this point Mario would be a waste when I consider the fact that we could try to get something for him or use that money to sign a top tier safety, CB, or Tackle somewhere. But bottom line, I don't want Mario on this team anymore, because our younger pass rushers are simply more effective than he has ever been as a whole unit now.

For the record though, I do acknowledge that Mario was playing lights out before the injury this year. But even if I felt that we were getting that version of him back, I still would rather allocate those funds to another position because we're good there now and yeah if it came down to Mario or Foster, I'm taking Foster easily on that even if we have to over pay. I also think we should continue to "invest" in our O line to keep them intact for many years to come.

But I definitely feel that Foster is more valuable to this team than Mario ever will be. But in general a top tier elite DE will always be more valuable to a team than a top tier elite RB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #74
Jaysol 
3rd String Rook
 
Jaysol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pasadena, TX
Age: 30
Posts: 82
Rep Power: 410 Jaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respectedJaysol is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

The way I look at Foster's impending contract (and I do think he is going to get paid next year) is regardless of how much we pay him. He has been playing for what amounts to minimum wage for the past two years while performing among the best in the league. Including being a good chunk of our offense through this playoff run.

I understand there are multiple reasons for a RBs performance, but it is like that with most positions in team sports.

In the end, WHEN we pay Foster, regardless of how big of a contract it is, when you average in the past 2 seasons where he has performed well above what they were paying for, it will be well worth it. Just consider a percentage of the money we are giving him in the future as an incentive for his performance in his first two seasons.
Jaysol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #75
Marcus
Hall of Fame
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stafford, Texas
Age: 61
Posts: 7,892
Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Mario would be a complete waste of cash to me. He has already been over paid for years as it is to me and he doesn't give full effort all of the time. But, whether you agree with that part or not, we have a full stable of great pass rushers with or without Mario, so he is no longer "a need" for us. We're finally stacked as far as pass rushers go. Guys like Reed, Watt, and Barwin just seem so much more hungry and give a much better effort than Mario ever will. So, yeah at this point Mario would be a waste when I consider the fact that we could try to get something for him or use that money to sign a top tier safety, CB, or Tackle somewhere. But bottom line, I don't want Mario on this team anymore, because our younger pass rushers are simply more effective than he has ever been as a whole unit now.

For the record though, I do acknowledge that Mario was playing lights out before the injury this year. But even if I felt that we were getting that version of him back, I still would rather allocate those funds to another position because we're good there now and yeah if it came down to Mario or Foster, I'm taking Foster easily on that even if we have to over pay. I also think we should continue to "invest" in our O line to keep them intact for many years to come.

But I definitely feel that Foster is more valuable to this team than Mario ever will be. But in general a top tier elite DE will always be more valuable to a team than a top tier elite RB.
The point I would raise from what's in bold, is with the amount of injuries we've had this year, there was finally enough depth to carry the team through. And with 3-4, and I'm sure it will stay a 3-4 even if Wade leaves, you simply cannot have enough bonified 3-4 linebackers that can get to the QB. We at this point, because of Mario's injury, are only a linebacker injury away from have no pass rush. The way I see it, if Mario, Cushing, Reed, Barwin and Demeco are all healthy, you have to find a way to keep them all on the field. But if one goes down, then you still have depth.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #76
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The point I would raise from what's in bold, is with the amount of injuries we've had this year, there was finally enough depth to carry the team through. And with 3-4, and I'm sure it will stay a 3-4 even if Wade leaves, you simply cannot have enough bonified 3-4 linebackers that can get to the QB. We at this point, because of Mario's injury, are only a linebacker injury away from have no pass rush. The way I see it, if Mario, Cushing, Reed, Barwin and Demeco are all healthy, you have to find a way to keep them all on the field. But if one goes down, then you still have depth.
Yes, this is a very fair point, but you and I obviously have very different views of Mario Williams. I think that Mario is a very good player, but just not all of the time and I believe that is the case because he doesn't have the drive to be an every down non stop motor player and that's the kind of players I want on this defense.

I agree with you on the depth factor and that's a legit concern, but we're not going to have another injury season like this one again most likely. I do agree that we can't have enough pass rushers here, but I'd rather keep drafting young guys that fit this 3-4 system we run and I'm fairly confident that we can find guys like that in the draft moving forward that will be waaaaayyy less than what Mario costs especially since the players in the draft aren't getting crazy money anymore. Mario is going to get paid a ton of money after this season and I don't want to be the team to do it. We've already done that for him, and he hasn't been a good investment in my eyes. I also feel that finding productive pass rushers in the 3-4 are easier to find than in the 4-3 and I'm so glad that we switched to the 3-4.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #77
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame
 
Texecutioner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,861
Rep Power: 134080 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaysol View Post

In the end, WHEN we pay Foster, regardless of how big of a contract it is, when you average in the past 2 seasons where he has performed well above what they were paying for, it will be well worth it. Just consider a percentage of the money we are giving him in the future as an incentive for his performance in his first two seasons.
This is just incredibly flawed thinking.

You don't pay guys on what they have done. You pay guys on what you expect them to do going forward. You don't pay someone crazy money because you got a bargain for him. It won't be worth it at all if Foster isn't an elite back for several seasons, or blows his knee out. What he did seasons before that won't matter, because those seasons are gone and a thing of the past.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #78
Say Watt
Site Contributor
 
Say Watt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,921
Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
But Arian is going to ask for that kind of money. He'd be stupid not to. He is a very young guy and he should get the most money he can at this early stage in his career especially when his career could end very easily at his position. I can't fault Arian for wanting to get his just like I couldn't fault Wade for wanting to do the same.

The NFL works in a way where elite players at their position will always look at the last player's deal and use that as a barometer as to what they should get. It sucks and it's a flawed system, because contracts just continue to go up and up and up because of that, but that's the way it is until the owners come together and stop that ****. But until that happens, elite players like Arian will ask for what the last guy at his status got or even more. And as it stands, Arian's demands will exceed what a RB is worth paying in my eyes.



No, I never said that at all. They are not a dime a dozen and they have their value, but their values always hinge upon how strong or weak their O line is a majority of the time. I certainly wouldn't want to let him walk, but if we pay him crazy cash, it will be harder to trade him and get the full value that teams would likely pay and we'd be limiting our trade options due to his new contract that a lot of teams wouldn't want to touch.




Oh, I have not forgotten one bit, but those guys we had were all horrible decisions from the jump that had STUPID written all over them as soon as we made the deals. That was a big reason why I couldn't stand Kubiak from the jump for how poorly he handled our running game early on especially for a guy that was supposed to be this genius offensive guru from the ZBS system in Denver. Kubiak's last few decisions have gotten better though and his track record is looking better as far as our RB's go.






Wo now, slow down on that stuff. I've called Mario overrated for years and I don't want to sign him either. We've got plenty of killers in Reed, Barwin, Smith, and Watt now that are a lot more effective than what Mario has been. I'd rather pay Foster than pay Mario even if we spend that ridiculous Chris Johnson type of money.



Because Yao Ming was a perfect example of a guy that people in this city got way to emotionally attached to, because he was 7'6 Asian guy that people were fond of personally and didn't want to accept what a horrible investment he had been towards the Rockets franchise as far as "building a contender" went. I talked about it for years and caught hell for it and many of you guys are getting just as angry about some people not wanting to sign Foster for crazy money. I want to sign Foster big time just to reiterate that point again. I just want the Texans to have a reasonable cut off point and stick to that.
Must spread rep yada yada yada.

Nice post man. Now you are making some sense. I think you finally communicated your point fully, and I now see you and I are in 100% agreement. We need to do everything we can to resign Arian but if he goes off asking for crazy money like Chris Johnson, then we have to sign him to his tender and if some team is crazy enough to pay him what he wants, then we can be happy with the picks.

I want to keep Arian and to be honest, I think we will. I mean what I said when I really don't believe Arian is the type to go Chris Johnson crazy on us. I'd say 5 years $40M with $18M guaranteed is about right.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #79
infantrycak
Lead Moderator
 
infantrycak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 47
Posts: 49,407
Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I gave you a long list of RB disasters that flamed out who were great at young ages since you claimed I was only using old broken down backs. The history and the risk factor is there regardless of how much you'd like to deny it or overlook it.
Yes there is a risk factor to the decision but for but look at the all time greats who generally stayed with their team and were well rewarded - Smith, LT, Sanders - or who were blockbuster traded and still well rewarded - Faulk, Bettis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The interesting thing about Mario is that he will demand a much higher contract than a RB based upon his position(s).
The franchise tag (used as an indicator of top contracts rather than as an option) for RB's is $1 mil less than for LB's so it isn't a huge difference.

Quote:
And his motor has been questioned for years. So what is the potential that he loses his hunger once he's paid?
Personally I have always thought that was people repeating crap from some scouting reports. Every year I hear this brought up and pay particular attention to him for a game or two and I don't see it, but JMO.

You want to see someone take a play off - check Nate Clements on Foster's TD run. Now there is a dude that gave up on a play.
__________________
The Art of War
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,392
Rep Power: 325689 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Watt View Post
I want to keep Arian and to be honest, I think we will. I mean what I said when I really don't believe Arian is the type to go Chris Johnson crazy on us. I'd say 5 years $40M with $18M guaranteed is about right.
So you're ok with signing Arian Foster to $8M/yr, but not $9.3M/yr like Chris Johnson got?

You're going to let the best RB in the league walk over $1.3M/yr?

That's crazy.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger