Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2012   #21
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I fully understand the desire to to pay Arian the big bucks.

I just wish that I had more confidence that he would stay inspired to continue to play at a high level after getting the big bucks.

There is a certain running back that plays for the Titans that gives me pause.
"Foster's subpar senior campaign caused his draft stock to plummet, as well as scouts' concerns about his below-average pass-blocking, issues with ball security and the less-than-stellar reviews from Tennessee staff members that portrayed him as selfish and hard to coach" - Wikipedia

I think Foster has already gone through his im better than everyone stage and is just happy to play football now.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #22
TdotTexas2Step
All Pro

Rep Power: 1975 TdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respectedTdotTexas2Step is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I think you mean JJ not KJ right? And Foster fumbled twice in the cinci game. He also fumbled four weeks in a row to end the season IIRC. He was incredibly lucky to catch that first one. That could of changed the whole game.

I think you missed the whole point of my post Again I hope we bring him back but no one should be opposed to discussing a what if scenario if there is precedence. There is!
The precedent you used in your example involved Portis being traded a future hall of famer in his prime in Champ Bailey and a second round draft pick.

If we got someone like Revis or Asomugha back in a trade for Foster, then I'd be cool with it.

Other than that (or something similar in value), you hold on to him.
TdotTexas2Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Sign him to a cap friendly deal that pays him a low salary and a high signing bonus. That's the way you manipulate the cap. Since cap is only affected by base salary, pay him a salary of say 1 mill per year over 5 years and give him a signing bonus of say 20 mill. Spread the 20 mill this way.
Year 1: 6 mill
Year 2: 7 mill
Year 3: 4 mill
Year 4: 2 mill
Year 5: 1 mill

Throw out some big incentive bases he won't get to and make it a 20 mill guaranteed contract and I think he would be very happy with it.

And for the record, i would do a similar deal with Mario: low salary, high signing bonus.
The cap includes bonuses. Signing bonuses are prorated over the life of the contract. Roster bonuses all count in the year they are paid.
Old 01-09-2012   #24
kingh99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I fully understand the desire to to pay Arian the big bucks.

I just wish that I had more confidence that he would stay inspired to continue to play at a high level after getting the big bucks.

There is a certain running back that plays for the Titans that gives me pause.
This. But imagine how much the rest of the league hates a bald faced jake. It kills their leverage. It's hard to want to go out and get pummeled ever week. Real hard. Sitting down and running the numbers like CJ has no doubt done definitely impacted his motivation. He sees he really doesn't have to ever put on the cleats again and will still not have a to work a day of the remainder of his life. Some guys see that as the goal. Can't say I entirely blame them. Vet RB is a very tricky sign.
Old 01-09-2012   #25
kingh99

Arian Foster is a pleasure to watch run. So fluid yet powerful. They need to help him out and let Ward and Tate run the up the gut plays. I know it doesn't work like that but it would be great if he was like the Mercury Morris runner. Need a Csonka and third all purpose guy like Jim Kiick with the Fins. But yeah, get a plodder to wear down the D and us Foster on the edges. who knows.
Old 01-09-2012   #26
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53531 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Foster is Terrell Davis version 2.0, I'd have to pay him.

I'm worried about his propensity to be a philosophy douche and therefore scared about him Ricky Williams-ing us, and of course the shelf life for RBs, but......his production and ability is way too much to ignore.

Gotta keep him.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #27
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be the worst FO office decision of 2012 if we failed to give Foster the contract he's earned. Mario Williams is a damn fine player, but in a year like this we have to prioritize and if it's between Foster and Mario then I think it's a no brainer.

Pay him, Rick!!!
Old 01-09-2012   #28
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 71089 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

i guess noone saw what he did in our first play off win.
Old 01-09-2012   #29
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Folks, at a minimum he will make approximately $3 mil in 2012 as a high tendered RFA. That is hardly chump change.
Old 01-09-2012   #30
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
Foster will get the $$$$ from the Texans same as Rice will get the $$$$ from the Ravens. They say RB's aren't as important as they used to be in the "Age of Passing", and yet what else chews up the clock and controls a game?
Just as long as the Ravens nor the Texans pull a Tinnbred move. RB's nowadays they're just not worth that much money.

PS. Matt Forte can be thrown into Rice and Foster's case.
Old 01-09-2012   #31
Kthx
All Pro

Section: Bar Table
Rep Power: 8621 Kthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respectedKthx is a quality contributor and well respected

RB's aren't worth that much for some teams but considering our situation I would say Foster is one of the most valuable players on our team. And when we beat the Ravens and end up playing a high powered offensive team with an elite QB the time spent extending a drive with our running game is time where the other QB is off the field not scoring on us. I doubt our front office doesn't recognize the huge contribution our running game is for this team.
Kthx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #32
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotTexas2Step View Post
The precedent you used in your example involved Portis being traded a future hall of famer in his prime in Champ Bailey and a second round draft pick.

If we got someone like Revis or Asomugha back in a trade for Foster, then I'd be cool with it.

Other than that (or something similar in value), you hold on to him.
Absolutely! What if the jets offered us Reevis and a second round pick? I think I would have to part ways with mr Foster. What about Asomughu (sp?) and a second? Foster is incredible but every option should be explored.
Old 01-09-2012   #33
CretorFrigg
Fire Rick Smith

Rep Power: 31892 CretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respectedCretorFrigg is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember the Ron Dayne days? Oh, how we've progressed since then.
Old 01-09-2012   #34
Texansfan2105
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: The importance of Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daravenator View Post
Foster will get the $$$$ from the Texans same as Rice will get the $$$$ from the Ravens. They say RB's aren't as important as they used to be in the "Age of Passing", and yet what else chews up the clock and controls a game?
true that
Texansfan2105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #35
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Arian is a special player. I understand the scare that he'll get his money and lose motivation but really you can say that for a lot of guys. You really never know until you try.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #36
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80468 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

So, the real question is who's arguing that he's not important & shouldn't get paid?
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #37
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
So, the real question is who's arguing that he's not important & shouldn't get paid?
Pretty much nobody. Amazing, a thread where almost all of us agree.

Pay the man, Rick.

Although I would like to point out that posters still flashing the "Anyone but Kubiak 2012" sig look pretty foolish right now, IMHO.
Old 01-10-2012   #38
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77581 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Pay the man, Rick.

Although I would like to point out that posters still flashing the "Anyone but Kubiak 2012" sig look pretty foolish right now, IMHO.
I was thinking exactly the same thing Katie.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012   #39
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post

Pay the man, Rick.

I have to admit that after the Cinci game I'm starting to believe Kubiak may have turned the corner. The key words there being MAY HAVE. It was really nice to see bumbling screwups contribute to the other team the loosing in a big game for once. I do still wonder if all this success would of happened had McNair not made him fire his buddies and hire Wade Phillips though.

When I find myself saying I want the head coach to stay as long as the DC stays it still makes me wonder how good of a head coach he really is. Not to mention I'm superstitious and to change it now would mean certain exit from the playoffs.
Old 01-10-2012   #40
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Pay'em all. We developed our own depth this season, don't need to sign any FA except for maybe a receiver. LOL!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read