Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2012   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The reasons Wade will remain in houston.

He is a better D.C than Head coach, i think other teams will realize that (more like hope they will)

We will win the superbowl and he will decide he wants to stay (come on that would be nice)

The main reason he wont leave

His Daddy will Whoop His sons ass. Bend him over his knee tilt that cowboy hat to the side and beat the living hell out of him

Disclaimer - The above poster believes none of this, this is his way of not crying like a little *****.
Old 01-08-2012   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56462 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The reasons Wade will remain in houston.

Unfortunately none of that **** means anything to anyone. He doesn't care if he belongs in Houston, if he sucks as a HC, if he'd be a legend here, if his father owns Houston, if he loves his defensive personnel here, etc.

If he gets paid, he will leave.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #3
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

He's getting paid here. I think it has everything to do with Wade wanting to be a HC. He thinks he's a HC and he'll take an opportunity to resume that role if it's presented.

I think he loves Houston, he loves this team, this D, this owner, etc, etc. He's one of the, if not the, highest paid DC's in the game. He just doesn't love the role of DC as much as he does HC.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Money-wise, would you rather make around 1-2 million a year as DC, or get 4-8 million a year as a HC? He has 2 more years on his DC contract, but could easily get 20 million over 5 years guaranteed from a decent team. Even if he fails as a HC he makes about 15 million more.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Unfortunately none of that **** means anything to anyone. He doesn't care if he belongs in Houston, if he sucks as a HC, if he'd be a legend here, if his father owns Houston, if he loves his defensive personnel here, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
He's getting paid here. I think it has everything to do with Wade wanting to be a HC. He thinks he's a HC and he'll take an opportunity to resume that role if it's presented.

I think he loves Houston, he loves this team, this D, this owner, etc, etc. He's one of the, if not the, highest paid DC's in the game. He just doesn't love the role of DC as much as he does HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Money-wise, would you rather make around 1-2 million a year as DC, or get 4-8 million a year as a HC? He has 2 more years on his DC contract, but could easily get 20 million over 5 years guaranteed from a decent team. Even if he fails as a HC he makes about 15 million more.

He wants more money (a natural human condition). But I also think he has this Head Coach obsession that he feels he has to attain and succeed at. His dad was a HC, and he wants to be one too...and he wants to be a good HC and bring honor to himself and his father.

I think bailing on any team after only one year is Doosh Deluxe, personally. But then again, it's his life and who is to say if he has to stay or if he can leave.

He's a big boy and he will make a decision if one is forthcoming, but there will be some flat out disappointed people if he doesn't try to come back in 2012 and try his hand at Texans d-coord again.
Old 01-08-2012   #6
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it all goes back to Dallas......
He felt like he could have still been the head coach there.....even with all the loses......
He still feels like he can head coach and wants to again......

I think it goes back to pride......He is a proud man.....and feels like his pride took a hit in Dallas.....

I think he should stay here myself....I think he should stick with what he does best....Defensive Coordinator.....

Dick Leabeau who is the defensive coordinator for the Steelers is a great example of someone who could have been a head coach ....but sticks with what he is good at......

I think Wade should think about sticking with what he is great at......plain and simple.......

Stay here Wade.....and become a legend like your daddy did.......
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
...or leave and be Buddy Ryan.
Old 01-08-2012   #8
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112mn View Post
I think it all goes back to Dallas......
He felt like he could have still been the head coach there.....even with all the loses......
He still feels like he can head coach and wants to again......

I think it goes back to pride......He is a proud man.....and feels like his pride took a hit in Dallas.....

I think he should stay here myself....I think he should stick with what he does best....Defensive Coordinator.....

Dick Leabeau who is the defensive coordinator for the Steelers is a great example of someone who could have been a head coach ....but sticks with what he is good at......

I think Wade should think about sticking with what he is great at......plain and simple.......

He probably thinks he got a bad roll in Dallas as well.

I mean it's hard for anyone to coach there when the owner is breathing down your neck and at times making decisions for you.

I guess we'll see how much he loves coaching in this state. Because if he does go to Tampa then there is no coming back to Houston or Dallas.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #9
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

He better stay and he better get paid.. there is no telling what this team if 100% can do..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post

I agree with this. It's hard for some people to stomach a perceived demotion. IMHO, I consider being the Texans DC a promotion over being Jerry Jone's "boy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Pay him HC $$ and be done with it if that's the case. Do coaches salaries count against the cap these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He wants more money (a natural human condition). But I also think he has this Head Coach obsession that he feels he has to attain and succeed at. His dad was a HC, and he wants to be one too...and he wants to be a good HC and bring honor to himself and his father.

I think bailing on any team after only one year is Doosh Deluxe, personally. But then again, it's his life and who is to say if he has to stay or if he can leave.

He's a big boy and he will make a decision if one is forthcoming, but there will be some flat out disappointed people if he doesn't try to come back in 2012 and try his hand at Texans d-coord again.
Wade has Bum beat, hands down, in the HC dept. as far as W-L's go. It's the iconic stature of Bum as a HC, here in Houston, that Wade probably wants to emulate. I don't see him ever accomplishing that if he leaves here.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #11
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not about the money,

The man wants to pursue his dreams.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 36463 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

Possibly. Given the success of the Texans this season, becoming the head coach here probably won't happen this year. Even though he has the Texas roots, the leadership, prestige and money that comes with a head coaching position would probably be as hard to turn down as with a corporate executive liking where he/she is as a manager, and passing up the position of a vice president.

I really would like to see Phillips remain in Houston, but as a 66 year old (?), time isn't on his side. Maybe he will consider less stress than the above incentives.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post

please view disclaimer.
Old 01-09-2012   #14
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17176 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post

I agree, but I can't figure it out. It's not like he's a 31 year old up and comer that hasn't danced before. He's been a HC 3 times and failed all three times. Why put yourself through the misery again? In 15 years will people still remember Dick Lebeau? I think so. Will anyone remember Scott Linehan, Rod Marinelli, Raheem Morris, Jim Zorn, or any of the other HCs that flamed out fast? Probably not.

Wade is an awesome DC and has something special here. The Bucs are a mess. Why would he want to deal with that? He should just stay here and help Gary polish the SV trophies the Texans will bring home.

As for a team like the Bucs, I can't see why they would be interested in a candidate like Wade. I can't think of a single instance of a HC getting his 4th job after 3 failures and suddenly striking it rich. Shanahan was obviously successful in Denver after being fired in Oakland. 3 times is a trend.
Old 01-09-2012   #15
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 42920 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here are the reasons he SHOULD stay here:

1. The talent he has to work on this defense is HEAD AND SHOULDERS better than Tampa Bay.

2. He is the highest paid DC and no guarantee of a raise if he leaves. im sure he could get a promotion here, Ass. HC/DC with a raise (do it Bob)

3. His health is not great and Houston has much better hospitals.

4. His family is here and his legacy is here.

5. He is gonna be 65 years old before next season starts and he just had surgery, the Bucs will not offer him the job. They want someone to grow with their younger talent and make them a long-term contender.

6. the guy is 1-5 (besides our win Saturday) LIFETIME as a coach (DC and HC) in the playoffs, that does not scream winner to me.

7. His daddy will whoop his ass lol
Old 01-09-2012   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade wants to leave than he'll leave. It's that simple. He's a NFL DC and an NFL HC. People who discount the difference between several Million dollars a year in a salary sound silly. That's a huge amount of money and being a HC is ultimately what almost all coaches want. Wade wants to be a HC whether people want to realize that or not. He had a great season here, so if he can parlay that onto a HC job then good for him. Any Texans fan that has enjoyed this season should be happy for him. If not, you really don't deserve a successful great coach if you can't even be thankful when you get one that transforms a defense around in one season the way that Wade has. Yeah, it would suck to lose a guy that was able to Kubiak-proof this team, but to think that a guy shouldn't be able to leave if a better opportunity presents itself isn't fair to him. Good luck to Wade for whatever he chooses to do.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There is only one: no team offers him a headcoaching job.
Old 01-09-2012   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Does it really matter? Can't stay healthy, retirement age yada yada yada

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #19
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 69042 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Here are the reasons he SHOULD stay here:

6. the guy is 1-5 (besides our win Saturday) LIFETIME as a coach (DC and HC) in the playoffs, that does not scream winner to me.
I don't know who came up with this, but it couldn't be more wrong. Yeah, Wade's 1-5 as a HC, but the mere fact he was a DC in a Super Bowl XXIV when he was with the Broncos should be a clue that whoever came up with that is either lazy, stupid, a troll, or some combination of the three.

FWIW, he's also got playoff wins as a DC with the Falcons and the Bills.
Old 01-09-2012   #20
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

My attitude about Wade has now changed because I no longer think of him as this benevolent ole guy who wants only the best for the Texans. Now he's clearly an opportunist, a self-promoter who very easily could have said lets wait until the Texans' post-season is over before we start talking about any ambitions I might have in the future.
This is not to take anything away from his ability as an NFL DC, which is extraordinary. But clearly Wade is like most everybody else in the NFL - he's in it for #1.
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read