Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #141
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Someone help me out. What I gather from that quote is that the rule prevents Tampa Bay from contacting Phillips because the Texans didn't have a bye during the wild card round and this isn't the two week break period prior to the Super Bowl. Is my reading comprehension failing me?
I think you're reading correctly, and in which case SHOULD mean that Wade was off-limits to being contacted/spoken to....but this is a game that they all play in terms of rules like this, and we all know that he's been contacted in some form or another.

He's probably had his dad speaking with Bucs front office. I mean, why wouldn't Bum do that for him? He did it last offseason by meeting with McNair. This is why I said such strong things about the Phillips family earlier in this thread, it's beginning to be a trend: Wade looking out for Wade, daddy looking out for Wade.

Is it because he wants the HC job in Houston, and he knows Kubiak is in his last year here in 2012 (IIRC). Maybe. Does he want a raise? Maybe. Is he really, truly interested in the Bucs job? Maybe.

Just too many "maybes" for my tastes. This should be 100% focus on the Ravens and nothing more. It will take a Herculean effort to beat the Ravens in their stadium. This stuff is bad for Texans fans, promising for Bucs fans, so you know which side of the fence I'm on with it. It SUCKS!
Old 01-08-2012   #142
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Am I reading that wrong? It says he can only interview during wilcard week only if that team has a bye?
It means teams like Ravens, Pats, Packs, and 49ers can be interviewed. 1st round bye teams in other words.
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #143
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
How many playoff games has he won as a HC or DC? Can you tell me? Getting the playoffs is great, but don't you want more? How many super bowl rings does he have, even as a DC?

Barwin was injured on like the first play of the game last season. Cushing missed 4 games, then Ryans almost immediately went out and Cushing bounced around, not to mention was injured himself. Are you claiming our defense did not get much better talent wise compared to last season?
hard to get to a super bowl if you dont make the play offs..... not to mention its a whole new scheme and wade put our guys in position to win. Barwin and mario went from DE to OLB, Quin from CB to safety. the packages as well. And how do we get to a superbowl when our D.C is interviewing for other jobs 2 days before the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Old 01-08-2012   #144
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Has anyone asked McClain on Twitter how Phillips could interview with the Bucs when there is a NFL rule that prohibits such?

And when did Wade start texting like a teenage girl? "2 b"?
LOL great points. I am not sure. I do not even have twitter, I just saw this on another site I frequent. (Very reliable site). Another poster a few posts before quoted him again, in an article or interview, whatever that was.

Sucks if we lose him, but I doubt we do.

Here is what I posted on page 5 in case people missed it. Some interesting stats from his career...

Quote:
Of course they will interview him, along with COUNTLESS other people. The guy has a 1-5 HC playoff record and during 04-06 with Chargers as DC he did not win a playoff game and during the Vick years in 02-03 he won ONE playoff game as DC. Yes he is great, but we have 5 starters on this team that did not play last season (Watt, Reed, Manning, Joseph and Barwin, not to mention a healthy Ryans, Cushing and a full season with Allen). We upgraded poor talent ( Pollard, Wilson, Okoye, Diles, Bentley, Adibi, Lewis, etc).

Not to mention the guy is what, 64? He would instantly be one of, if not the oldest, HC in the league. Older coaches is OK, but only if you had them, you don't hire a 64 year old, who will be 65 by next season and coming off a surgery like he is. Not to mention, no team out there has the "groceries" like our team. We are the best fit for him and if it is about money, I am sure Uncle Bob will give him more. The guy wants to have leverage to get more, fine by me. If you LOVE your job and another company wants to interview you, you do it, not because you will for sure take it, but you explore your options and use it as leverage.

I doubt he gets offered the job and even if he does, I doubt he takes it. Houston has some of the best medical hospitals in the nation, he is close to family, he gets paid a lot and we're young and dominating after ONE SEASON with no off-season. He is prime position to leave a great mark on his legacy by staying where he is.
Old 01-08-2012   #145
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Replacing bush with wade and his coaches was the key. Every year a player was in frank bush or Richard smith's system. The player regressed

Wade knows how to put players in positions to excell
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #146
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Has anyone asked McClain on Twitter how Phillips could interview with the Bucs when there is a NFL rule that prohibits such?

And when did Wade start texting like a teenage girl? "2 b"?
Yeah, my bs meter was going off when I read the tweet
Old 01-08-2012   #147
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80958 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
hard to get to a super bowl if you dont make the play offs..... not to mention its a whole new scheme and wade put our guys in position to win. Barwin and mario went from DE to OLB, Quin from CB to safety. the packages as well. And how do we get to a superbowl when our D.C is interviewing for other jobs 2 days before the 2nd round of the playoffs.
So we get another qualified 3-4 coach. The moves have been made and the blue print is there. Just follow it and add some wrinkles. As fans, we use to debate whether bringing in Cowher was the best choice being a 3-4 coach, clearly that was the best move. Our players seem to fit better there and with watt and reed added it only solidifies that choice. We all want Wade, but the NFL is a business, sometimes it sucks, but we need to have faith that Rick Smith will grab another great DC.
Old 01-08-2012   #148
Wolf
100% Texan

How many "great" coordinators are out there?
Old 01-08-2012   #149
amazing80
Site Contributor

Sherman has been the front winner since before the weekend, I am sure they are just kicking the tires on ol' Wade. Just like we would be doing if we were them. Lots of good YOUNG coaches out there.
Old 01-08-2012   #150
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Yeah, my bs meter was going off when I read the tweet
McClain shortened it for twitter. The quote is accurate. Read chron.com
Old 01-08-2012   #151
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
If he leaves, he leaves. He's said he wants to be a head coach again and if a team grants him that opportunity I'm not going to fault him for taking it.
Would you fault him if you found out that Wade was merely using the opportunity in Houston to get another job as a HC as soon as he could land one?

Because frankly, it's what it looks like. Arian Foster chose the Texans because (a) we offered him the most UDFA money, and (B) he said he had a better chance at unseating Slaton and winning the starting job than he would have had if he tried to go to the Saints who offered him slightly less UDFA money than we did.

Now it's appearing, as usual, that Wade Phillips saw the Texans had enough pieces and that he could get control of the draft and hit on a few more guys for his defense to fill the holes...AND get the two big free agents he wanted to bolster the secondary. Wade has Kubiak's consistently GOOD offense, too, which further enhances the Houston d-coord job in his eyes.

Now? Now he gets to parlay that into a HC gig. He had his dad go and angle McNair for the d-coord job last off-season, and I don't know if his dad could be seen as being complicit in some grand scheme of Wade's to get a HC gig again. But it is plausible. Fathers and sons who have strong bonds with one another could easily conspire to set Wade up to do any number of things: Be a d-coord on Houston for a long, long time....or watch Kubiak get fired and Wade get promoted to HC of the Texans...or Kubiak stays and Wade does enough to get a gig somewhere else. It's a win-win-win for the Phillips family. Great odds!

So IMO, it certainly seems any talk of how Wade loves Houston and Bum loves his son being in Houston, and blah blah blah....is just babble. Wade comes off as knowing he won't get to be HC of the Texans like his daddy was, and so now he's off to find a way to be a successful HC somewhere else.

Doesn't seem like it's too far out of the realm of possibility.
Old 01-08-2012   #152
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 123249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So we get another qualified 3-4 coach. The moves have been made and the blue print is there. Just follow it and add some wrinkles. As fans, we use to debate whether bringing in Cowher was the best choice being a 3-4 coach, clearly that was the best move. Our players seem to fit better there and with watt and reed added it only solidifies that choice. We all want Wade, but the NFL is a business, sometimes it sucks, but we need to have faith that Rick Smith will grab another great DC.
My point is wade can wait till after the play offs to take care of his buisness that has been my whole point the whole time. Whos to say our next D.C and the one after and the one after dont all go interview for jobs in the playoffs.
Old 01-08-2012   #153
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sherman has been the front winner since before the weekend, I am sure they are just kicking the tires on ol' Wade. Just like we would be doing if we were them. Lots of good YOUNG coaches out there.

Not trying to pick on you, but I had to laugh at the contradictions in this post.
Old 01-08-2012   #154
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
How many "great" coordinators are out there?
Depends if they want a defensive or offensive guy.

Gregg Williams, IMO is the best and MUCH younger than Wade.
Perry Fewell
Tedd Bowles
Greg Olson, Bucs lol
Mike Sherman
Brian Billick
Jon Gruden
Wade Phillips, had to list him
Green Bay qb coach

There are guys out there and I doubt Wade wins out over them. Too old, too sick, and never did anything as HC, why try something that has NEVER worked when you can try a new route?
Old 01-08-2012   #155
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Not trying to pick on you, but I had to laugh at the contradictions in this post.
I meant to add lots of good young candidates TOO. Sherman is the front runner, plus good younger coordinators out there also. personally I would go with a younger guy. Or a guy like Gruden or Cowher, if you can get them.
Old 01-08-2012   #156
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 114327 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe you missed where I said YES HE IS GREAT, but you cannot deny the fact we got almost half of a new starting defense with the players from the draft and with the guys coming back from injury. He makes a difference, but lets not act as if he did it with scrubs, like he would have to do in Tampa or Miami....thats the point, he has a nice thing going here and I doubt he ups and leaves just because someone came calling. Its nice to know people want you....
Consider the fact that we had three INT's yesterday, by three different defenders, and not one of them was on the roster (or even IR) for us last year.
Old 01-08-2012   #157
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Would you fault him if you found out that Wade was merely using the opportunity in Houston to get another job as a HC as soon as he could land one?

Because frankly, it's what it looks like. Arian Foster chose the Texans because (a) we offered him the most UDFA money, and (B) he said he had a better chance at unseating Slaton and winning the starting job than he would have had if he tried to go to the Saints who offered him slightly less UDFA money than we did.

Now it's appearing, as usual, that Wade Phillips saw the Texans had enough pieces and that he could get control of the draft and hit on a few more guys for his defense to fill the holes...AND get the two big free agents he wanted to bolster the secondary. Wade has Kubiak's consistently GOOD offense, too, which further enhances the Houston d-coord job in his eyes.

Now? Now he gets to parlay that into a HC gig. He had his dad go and angle McNair for the d-coord job last off-season, and I don't know if his dad could be seen as being complicit in some grand scheme of Wade's to get a HC gig again. But it is plausible. Fathers and sons who have strong bonds with one another could easily conspire to set Wade up to do any number of things: Be a d-coord on Houston for a long, long time....or watch Kubiak get fired and Wade get promoted to HC of the Texans...or Kubiak stays and Wade does enough to get a gig somewhere else. It's a win-win-win for the Phillips family. Great odds!

So IMO, it certainly seems any talk of how Wade loves Houston and Bum loves his son being in Houston, and blah blah blah....is just babble. Wade comes off as knowing he won't get to be HC of the Texans like his daddy was, and so now he's off to find a way to be a successful HC somewhere else.

Doesn't seem like it's too far out of the realm of possibility.
Wouldn't fault him at all. I figure that would be the mindset of any coordinator who's been a head coach before. I don't know that many coordinators who have been coaches are merely content in staying as coordinators. If any opportunity comes to interview for a HC gig, I doubt any would turn it down.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #158
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's amazing we are having this much discussion. Remember just a year ago when our TT banner read 'WARY'?

What a difference a year makes

Sent from my Sprint EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2012   #159
amazing80
Site Contributor

Not to mention Zimmer and mike mularkey would be better. Kevin Greene from Green Bay, there is not way Wade gets a HC job at his age lol.
Old 01-08-2012   #160
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 377943 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Casserly says Phillips interviews Friday afternoon in Houston.

Don't know why I was only thinking Wade would travel to interview.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read