Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #61
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Boy! Wait till' Bum hears about this!
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #62
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips: "I'm not looking to go anywhere"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
A real man would have said, "Any team trying to contact me, or wants me for their head coach...they can wait until I'm done here. I have a job to do, I have a duty to my players and everyone else in the Texans organization. If some team wants me bad enough, they can wait. Next question, please."

How hard is THAT? Instead, he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

It's just really depressing, as a fan, to sit back and read all this crap that he's saying. The rumors. Speculation. Hey Wade: WE gave you a chance when you got dumped on your ass by Jerry Jones. Now you just use us as a stepping stone in year ONE here?

If he leaves, let the name of Phillips be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore. Bum, too. He can follow his son and lead the Bucs out of the tunnel for their first game with Wade as HC if it goes down like that.

Sour taste in my mouth today. It should be 100% Texans Talk, and we're getting trickled reports of Wade supposedly a candidate in Tampa AND possibly interviewing too. Sheesh.
agree man, it is B.S that in the middle of our first ever play off run he is talking to other teams. he needs to be preparing the team for the ravens. I thought better of him than that, guess i was wrong.
Old 01-08-2012   #63
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i just wish we could keep a coordinator for more than 1 season , sherman, shanahan, Smith, Bush, and countless other stay one season and are gone
Phillips is the only one of those coordinators that I would absolutely want to keep with baby Shanny a definite maybe.
Old 01-08-2012   #64
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not at all surprised by this. The defensive performance this year has turned a lot of heads, Phillips has the pedigree and the stated desire to be a head coach again. For the life of me, I don't understand why. He absolutely has it made here as DC. Maybe he should give Dick LeBeau a call.
He and his daddy can go live in Florida for all I care.

Bum can lead the Bucs out of the tunnel in the season opener if Wade gets that HC job there...because IMO, the name of Phillips--from a Texas sports perspective--should be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore if he leaves this year.

I have a feeling the writing is on the wall, folks. The only thing standing in the way is his health and if that scares off Tampa Bay execs making this big of a decision.

Our good fortune becomes someone else's plunder. That would be just typical Houston pro football voodoo, IMO. TYPICAL.
Old 01-08-2012   #65
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Boy! Wait till' Bum hears about this!
i dont think bum is against him head coaching again but he would be against him interviewing during our play off run.
Old 01-08-2012   #66
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Just McClain running his mouth! PLUS, the poster didn't post a link!! You guys usually jump all over that sort of thing!! You can't breath on this board without posting a link on how to do it!!
https://twitter.com/#!/search/wade%20phillips
Old 01-08-2012   #67
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72571 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
agree man, it is B.S that in the middle of our first ever play off run he is talking to other teams. he needs to be preparing the team for the ravens. I thought better of him than that, guess i was wrong.
Considering the remarks he's made on this subject, why would you expect anything different? I don't like this one little bit, but I'm certainly not surprised. How many times does he have to fail as HC and succeed as DC before he decides to just be who and what he is: one helluva DC and a decent, at best, HC.
Old 01-08-2012   #68
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

This sucks.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #69
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

It would be a shame for Wade to leave.

Not for the Texans though, for him. I think the best thing that Wade has done was show McNair that bringing in top coaches and paying them is WELL WORTH it. I think it's another thing McNair is learning about running a quality football team. I bet if Wade walks that Mcnair/Smith will bring another big name 3-4 DC to replace him.

For Wade though he has not accomplished much as a head coach. I really think he can build his legacy and become a Lebeau type of guy while here and that with Kubiak on the other side they'll be a coaching duo that will get equal credit.

Wade doesn't need to fall into titles and such like whose the head coach. I think in most fans eyes here he's getting equal credit (and some people give him more credit than Kubes) so I dunno.

I'm hoping the guy is just dipping his toe in the water.
Old 01-08-2012   #70
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you're looking at a guy for HC, wouldn't you respect the guy MORE if he stood his ground and showed some balls by telling teams to back off until he's done with his current team?

I mean, if loyalty is an issue..if integrity is an issue...and you want your players to buy into the new HC coming into your locker room and leading your guys in 2012....wouldn't you want it to be a guy who has respect for the team he's currently WITH. And is with in the PLAYOFFS?!?!?!?

LOL. Yeah, stats are great. But it felt like there was more to the Wade Phillips story here than JUST his ability to know defense and make it work. I thought he brought a level of character to the table that the players admired. IMO, it's the intersection of his great defensive understanding AND his ability to be trusted by the players too.

Oh well, it's out of our hands obviously.
Old 01-08-2012   #71
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

*on the flip side*

If he is really interested in a HC job, beating the hell out of the Ravens would be a great audition

*trying to think positive*
Old 01-08-2012   #72
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Considering the remarks he's made on this subject, why would you expect anything different? I don't like this one little bit, but I'm certainly not surprised. How many times does he have to fail as HC and succeed as DC before he decides to just be who and what he is: one helluva DC and a decent, at best, HC.
i figured he would leave but he can take care of his buisness after the play offs. hes still the texans D.C until after the play offs. he needs to focus on the ravens
Old 01-08-2012   #73
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I think it's actually surprising that he hasn't gotten more interest given all the retreads, has beens and never-weres that get NFL head coaching jobs. I do think there's a pretty good chance he ends up as HC in either Jacksonville or TB next season.
I acknowledge that he was the head coach of winning teams. I don't think he built those teams, anymore than Jim Caldwell buit the Colts when they were winning. I think Sherman is a very viable offensive coordinator. But like former Raider head coach Bill Callahan, Sherman hasn't distinguished himself as a head coach. He certainly didn't look like a special coach at A&M.

I remember Sherman was about to be named head coach of the Arizona Cardinals a few years back. But there was such a backlash against the hiring, the Cardinals owner (or owner's son) pull the offer off the table. There's nothing exciting about him and nothing you can point to that would suggest he is a great hire as a head coach. OK, he can win with Brett Favre in his prime. Unless Brett Favre is walking through that door, why hire Mike Sherman?
Old 01-08-2012   #74
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 296584 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Phillips will interview with Buccaneers for head coach job

Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will interview with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for their vacant head-coaching position.

The Texans gave the Bucs permission to interview him, probably Friday. Phillips, who helped the Texans improve from 30th to second in defense, hopes the Bucs will conduct the interview in Houston.

Im gratified somebody noticed, Phillips said. Well talk and see how much interest (Tampa Bay) has in me. Im torn. I dont want to leave Houston. I love it here. But Id like to get a chance to be a head coach again.

I guess I was just a little too happy this morning about winning a playoff game. The football gods decided H-town was having a little too much success.

I hate to root against Wade on anything, but I'm going to have to hope this job doesn't pan out for him.
Old 01-08-2012   #75
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

The crappy thing about this is the players mentality.

Cushing, Ryans, etc...these guys seem to love Wade and now they have to be thinking about if he is returning next year. I'm not worried about if he'll have a gameplan ready for the Ravens. He will.

I'm worried about the players worrying about it.
Old 01-08-2012   #76
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 14263 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

don't leave us wade

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #77
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I posted a link about this in the Head Coach search thread. Wade is just one of many they are interviewing. According to that ESPN article Childress is their top candidate.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #78
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
I think it's another thing McNair is learning about running a quality football team. I bet if Wade walks that Mcnair/Smith will bring another big name 3-4 DC to replace him.
And I, on the other hand, would bet that McNair would promote from within.

McNair is going to think some guy like Reggie Herring or Vance Joseph learned under Wade (in only one year) and absorbed Wade's talents as d-coord.

I wonder if a guy like Gene Chizik is ready to coach NFL ball or if he has something stored up at Auburn worth staying for. Chizik is a helluva' defensive coordinator, folks. He had a top-ranked defense in the SEC and then went to Austin and had a top-ranked Big 12 defense in his very first year there. He knows defense, period.

If I'm owner of the Texans, I'm on the phone finding THE best d-coordinators I can find no matter if it's college or pro football, and I'm setting up interviews with them just like Wade is with certain teams out there. I'm even trying to summon the ghost of Vince Lombardi if I knew how to do it.

But the theme has always been McNair hiring from within. I don't think he could even find the right guy OUTSIDE of this organization anyways. If Wade leaves, the odds are not in our favor to maintain this level of defense we've enjoyed this year. Sorry to be a Doug Downer, but it is what it is. Replicating 2011 with a new guy is not my ideal plan for success in 2012.
Old 01-08-2012   #79
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
He and his daddy can go live in Florida for all I care.

Bum can lead the Bucs out of the tunnel in the season opener if Wade gets that HC job there...because IMO, the name of Phillips--from a Texas sports perspective--should be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore if he leaves this year.

I have a feeling the writing is on the wall, folks. The only thing standing in the way is his health and if that scares off Tampa Bay execs making this big of a decision.

Our good fortune becomes someone else's plunder. That would be just typical Houston pro football voodoo, IMO. TYPICAL.
Shouldn't you wait and see if he gets the job before you send him off to Florida?
Old 01-08-2012   #80
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Quote:
And I, on the other hand, would bet that McNair would promote from within.

McNair is going to think some guy like Reggie Herring or Vance Joseph learned under Wade (in only one year) and absorbed Wade's talents as d-coord.

I wonder if a guy like Gene Chizik is ready to coach NFL ball or if he has something stored up at Auburn worth staying for. Chizik is a helluva' defensive coordinator, folks. He had a top-ranked defense in the SEC and then went to Austin and had a top-ranked Big 12 defense in his very first year there. He knows defense, period.

If I'm owner of the Texans, I'm on the phone finding THE best d-coordinators I can find no matter if it's college or pro football, and I'm setting up interviews with them just like Wade is with certain teams out there. I'm even trying to summon the ghost of Vince Lombardi if I knew how to do it.

But the theme has always been McNair hiring from within. I don't think he could even find the right guy OUTSIDE of this organization anyways. If Wade leaves, the odds are not in our favor to maintain this level of defense we've enjoyed this year. Sorry to be a Doug Downer, but it is what it is. Replicating 2011 with a new guy is not my ideal plan for success in 2012.
people may think i'm crazy but i wouldnt mind having dom capers as the D.C. I dont know if he would do it but you never know. to bad wade cant be like capers who failed at coaching and stuck with what he's good at.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read