Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #41
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips: "I'm not looking to go anywhere"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If this is true, it pisses me off. Wade needs to be preparing for the Ravens, not looking for a job.
Happens to a lot of coaches on playoff teams. You can't dictate when you interview. If he waits until his team is out of the playoffs then he may lose out on getting a job.

Pats offensive coordinator has already been named the coach at Penn State. Packers offensive coordinator has an interview with the Dolphins I think.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #42
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
I believe Schefter said this morning on ESPN he was interviewing today, it's not in the story and I don't have it DVR'd to confirm, just going on memory.
i really very seriously doubt that the day after our first play off win wade is heading anywhere for an interview. his dad would whoop his ass haha, plus isnt it against NFL rules to intervies a coach whos still coaching in the play offs ?
Old 01-08-2012   #43
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i really very seriously doubt that the day after our first play off win wade is heading anywhere for an interview. his dad would whoop his ass haha, plus isnt it against NFL rules to intervies a coach whos still coaching in the play offs ?
You may be right I can't find anything anywhere online saying he's interviewing today.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #44
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, the Bucs are looking at Brad Childress, Marty Schotteheimer, Wade Phillips (Houston DC) and Mike Zimmer (Bengals DC). They've also been connected to Mike Sherman and Jerry Gray.

Yikes, it's between Sherman and Wade.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #45
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade is just so old..Bucs go from youngest HC to oldest?
Old 01-08-2012   #46
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

First, they break Schaub's foot. Now, they're trying to steal Wade?

The Bucs suck!
Old 01-08-2012   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Packers offensive coordinator has an interview with the Dolphins I think.
That happened during the bye week, right? I think there are some timing restrictions on interviews. Need to do some research.
Old 01-08-2012   #48
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No offense to Wade, but that has to be the weakest field of head coaching candidates I've ever seen. Brad Childress & Mike Sherman? Really?

If that represents the entire field of prospective coaches, Wade should get the job easily.
In spite of the recent happenings at A&M, I disagree about Sherman. Folks forget that he won the NFC North three times in his six years as HC of the Packers (with a minimum of 10 wins each time), and went to the playoffs one other time with a 12 win Wild Card team.

For his career, he's 18 games over .500 in the regular season (57-39), and the only time (out of six years) that he finished without a winning record was his final year when he went 4-12. Not coincidentally, that was the year Favre threw 29 int's, and with the exception of his final year in Minny, had the lowest passer rating of his career.
Sherman also won a couple of playoff games while he was there, but obviously, since he got to the playoffs four times, and never won the Super Bowl, he lost 4.

I think it's actually surprising that he hasn't gotten more interest given all the retreads, has beens and never-weres that get NFL head coaching jobs. I do think there's a pretty good chance he ends up as HC in either Jacksonville or TB next season.
Old 01-08-2012   #49
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Wade to interview for TB job

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
The Texans have given Tampa Bay permission to interview defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for their vacant head coaching job.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #50
ensign_lee
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 468 ensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respectedensign_lee is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
The Texans have given Tampa Bay permission to interview defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for their vacant head coaching job.

In the middle of a playoff run? Seriously...? Guess we're Fed for Baltimore
ensign_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #51
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign_lee View Post

In the middle of a playoff run? Seriously...? Guess we're Fed for Baltimore
Pretty sure Kubiak interviewed with us in the middle of a Denver playoff run. Can't deny Wade the opportunity. Timing sucks though for sure. Buzz off Tampa.
Old 01-08-2012   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Wade leaves after being here just one year, then he can pack his **** for good and never bother coming back to Texas ever again.

It would be a true slap to the face of his father, Bob McNair, his players, to the city of Houston, and to the fans.

I know it's his life and he can choose for himself. Duh. But with choices come ramifications, and he'd be just another opportunist who looks after himself and doesn't care about the fallout it causes others. IMO, he has to stay one more year here to leave on good terms in THIS fan's eyes.

I'm sure his agent is whispering into his ear that the turnaround of this defense from worst to first is something you capitalize off of and go get that bigger contract. We'll see if Wade has true roots here or if he's a male whore and sleeps with the biggest spender. Sorry if that's harsh, but it is what it is in my eyes.

It'll be put up or shut up time for all this Wade Phillips "head coach" speculation
Old 01-08-2012   #53
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

As much as I respect Wade, there is no way he gets this job. They don't have anyone on their D-line that fits the 3-4. And no one that can easily transition to a 3-4 OLB. It would just take too much for Wade to get that team back to winning. Plus they just picked up fatboy from Washington who hated the defense, and do you really want to start off the season creating that kind of drama on the team? Miami makes more sense to me than Tampa does. Neither will happen, but Tampa won't happen for sure.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #54
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Now that this is adversely affecting MY team.....the NFL needs to make it a rule that no candidates can interview with an NFL team until after the Super Bowl.

They can wait the extra four weeks or so.

Make it a level playing field and make playoff coaches respect their current duties and not have them thinking about where they might end up next year.

The Bucs are quickly becoming my most hated team. First, they go and get the Schaub Killer (Haynesworth) who ends his season and maybe even his career. Second, they are targeting our d-coord. Bastards.
Old 01-08-2012   #55
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Now that this is adversely affecting MY team.....the NFL needs to make it a rule that no candidates can interview with an NFL team until after the Super Bowl.

They can wait the extra four weeks or so.

Make it a level playing field and make playoff coaches respect their current duties and not have them thinking about where they might end up next year.

The Bucs are quickly becoming my most hated team. First, they go and get the Schaub Killer (Haynesworth) who ends his season and maybe even his career. Second, they are targeting our d-coord. Bastards.
i'm pretty sure that was already a rule. i could of swore that we had to wait until after the play offs to interview kubiak.
Old 01-08-2012   #56
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade don't give your key to the city back .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #57
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not at all surprised by this. The defensive performance this year has turned a lot of heads, Phillips has the pedigree and the stated desire to be a head coach again. For the life of me, I don't understand why. He absolutely has it made here as DC. Maybe he should give Dick LeBeau a call.
Old 01-08-2012   #58
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Just McClain running his mouth! PLUS, the poster didn't post a link!! You guys usually jump all over that sort of thing!! You can't breath on this board without posting a link on how to do it!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #59
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

i just wish we could keep a coordinator for more than 1 season , sherman, shanahan, Smith, Bush, and countless other stay one season and are gone
Old 01-08-2012   #60
GP 
Go Texans!

A real man would have said, "Any team trying to contact me, or wants me for their head coach...they can wait until I'm done here. I have a job to do, I have a duty to my players and everyone else in the Texans organization. If some team wants me bad enough, they can wait. Next question, please."

How hard is THAT? Instead, he talks out of both sides of his mouth.

It's just really depressing, as a fan, to sit back and read all this crap that he's saying. The rumors. Speculation. Hey Wade: WE gave you a chance when you got dumped on your ass by Jerry Jones. Now you just use us as a stepping stone in year ONE here?

If he leaves, let the name of Phillips be stricken from the annals of Texas sports lore. Bum, too. He can follow his son and lead the Bucs out of the tunnel for their first game with Wade as HC if it goes down like that.

Sour taste in my mouth today. It should be 100% Texans Talk, and we're getting trickled reports of Wade supposedly a candidate in Tampa AND possibly interviewing too. Sheesh.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read