Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012   #21
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade Phillips: "I'm not looking to go anywhere"

He sounds like Rain Man with a split personality. "Yeah, definitely gonna' be a strong team here, strong team for a long time, strong team. But if you wanna' talk about head coaching, let me know. Definitely let me know. Not going anywhere, but let me know. Let me know. Strong team...."

Seriously, Wade? I think THAT, alone, has sealed your fate and keeps you from getting a sniff of any HC positions in the NFL. The guy contradicted himself how many times in that little excerpt? LOL. Flip Flop City, geez.....

I started reading this thread, and figured, "OK, this is where he puts the speculation and rumor to rest." Nope. I be go to hell if he didn't just go and talk out of both sides of his mouth MULTIPLE times right there.

(Sigh).......
Old 01-05-2012   #22
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

While Wade has certainly did a miraculous job fixing the defense, I'd hope he wouldn't seriously entertain a coaching job if someone came knocking. Wade is just not a head coach and I hope he has, or at least can, come to make peace with that. This isn't to say Gary is or isn't, but this topic isn't about Gary. The fact is that some guys are just better suited as coordinators while others are better suited as coaches. Obviously the head coach gets the glory, but eh, so be it. The head coach also gets the shame and I figured Wade had enough of that by now.

I'm hoping he has, anyhow.

It's funny. About a year ago I predicted a Gary/Wade pairing would likely do wonders for the team based on how well it worked out with Sean Payton and Gregg Williams. Neither could win a superbowl on their own, much less make the playoffs, so they paired up and let one focus solely on one side of the ball and vice versa. It got them a Lombardi the first year and each year since, they've been in the post-season with 10+ win seasons. Gary needs Wade and Wade needs Gary.

Hey, look at that, the Texans won 10 games this year...

Life's short, and Wade ain't exactly a hoss anymore. If he thinks being a head coach is more important to him than having his name etched into a world champion ring and Lombardi history, then that's on him. What with all the reports coming out post-Black Monday about what teams are perusing what potential coaches, I find it telling that no team thus far has (reportedly) contacted Wade or the Texans. So I'll play the naive one here and say Wade has no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #23
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 58428 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
He sounds like Rain Man with a split personality. "Yeah, definitely gonna' be a strong team here, strong team for a long time, strong team. But if you wanna' talk about head coaching, let me know. Definitely let me know. Not going anywhere, but let me know. Let me know. Strong team...."

Seriously, Wade? I think THAT, alone, has sealed your fate and keeps you from getting a sniff of any HC positions in the NFL. The guy contradicted himself how many times in that little excerpt? LOL. Flip Flop City, geez.....

I started reading this thread, and figured, "OK, this is where he puts the speculation and rumor to rest." Nope. I be go to hell if he didn't just go and talk out of both sides of his mouth MULTIPLE times right there.

(Sigh).......
I thought the same thing. Not his finest moment.

Let that be a lesson: Never descend into stream of consciousness babble when the mic is on.

But we still love you, Wade.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #24
ADTpaul
ADT Security

Rep Power: 35 ADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respectedADTpaul is a quality contributor and well respected

It really sounds like you want to be the next head coach of the Houston Texans!
ADTpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #25
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's chances of landing another HC gig are largely going to be based upon the feeling of GM's around the league.

I've seen years where they look towards retreads trying to revitalize retreads in hopes of getting organizational stability and others where they want to look at an unproven hotshot.

The Dominoes start falling with where Fisher goes.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #26
Marshall 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 41193 Marshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respectedMarshall is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post
While Wade has certainly did a miraculous job fixing the defense, I'd hope he wouldn't seriously entertain a coaching job if someone came knocking. Wade is just not a head coach and I hope he has, or at least can, come to make peace with that. This isn't to say Gary is or isn't, but this topic isn't about Gary. The fact is that some guys are just better suited as coordinators while others are better suited as coaches. Obviously the head coach gets the glory, but eh, so be it. The head coach also gets the shame and I figured Wade had enough of that by now.

I'm hoping he has, anyhow.

It's funny. About a year ago I predicted a Gary/Wade pairing would likely do wonders for the team based on how well it worked out with Sean Payton and Gregg Williams. Neither could win a superbowl on their own, much less make the playoffs, so they paired up and let one focus solely on one side of the ball and vice versa. It got them a Lombardi the first year and each year since, they've been in the post-season with 10+ win seasons. Gary needs Wade and Wade needs Gary.

Hey, look at that, the Texans won 10 games this year...

Life's short, and Wade ain't exactly a hoss anymore. If he thinks being a head coach is more important to him than having his name etched into a world champion ring and Lombardi history, then that's on him. What with all the reports coming out post-Black Monday about what teams are perusing what potential coaches, I find it telling that no team thus far has (reportedly) contacted Wade or the Texans. So I'll play the naive one here and say Wade has no intentions of leaving anytime soon.
This reminds me of the time the Giants had Lombardi as Offensive Coordinator and Landry as Defensive Coordinator. (1956-1959) It made the head coaches job easy.
Marshall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #27
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's how I take it:

If somebody came and offered me a job, I'd take it....

...but I'm not out there actively campaigning and looking for a HC job.

He's home. He's got a good defense, lots o' money, a town's love, admiration and support and an owner who will do anything for him. How much would it take to go rebuild some bullshit team in some other stupid city where the media will grill him everytime something goes mildly askew?
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2012   #28
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Opposite of a non-denial denial...

or "vote of confidence in a coach" right before firing him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #29
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade is sooooooo bad at media it is laughable. I atually find it funny the way he squirms about under harmless questioning.

Now if only he could learn to coach a defence to make up for it
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
I would be curious to know when this interview was done. It seems to me the media is trying to sabotage us bringing this crap up now. Trying to make it sound like he is concentrating more on becoming a head coach than on winning this year.

Why else would they be bringing this up now?

Bad timing... really bad timing.
It is a bit strange, especially since the article is on the Houston Texans website and written by one of their employees (Nick Scurfield). I agree that context would be interesting to know.

All I can guess is that they might be trying to put out brush fires before he's hit with a bunch of questions about it, or maybe even putting the word out there that he's content with his current job? Beyond that, not much sense at this point in time, right before our first playoff game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Team Wary (heh, not as negative as it once was, huh?) will stay here and win a Super Bowl then let Bum hoist this --> during the victory parade down Kirby.

....hey, it's my fantasy. leave me alone.
Can I share in your fantasy in a platonic, non-gay sorta' way?

I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to have our team win the championship. I try to go to Imagination Land for this scenario, but it's just puffy white clouds that won't let me see anything else.
Old 01-06-2012   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 192752 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It is a bit strange, especially since the article is on the Houston Texans website and written by one of their employees (Nick Scurfield). I agree that context would be interesting to know.

All I can guess is that they might be trying to put out brush fires before he's hit with a bunch of questions about it, or maybe even putting the word out there that he's content with his current job? Beyond that, not much sense at this point in time, right before our first playoff game.

Can I share in your fantasy in a platonic, non-gay sorta' way?

I can't even begin to imagine how it would feel to have our team win the championship. I try to go to Imagination Land for this scenario, but it's just puffy white clouds that won't let me see anything else.
Sure. I liken this to imagining what I'd do with the money if I won the Lottery. Everyone has had that fantasy at one point or another.l
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Classic line:

Steve Mariucci, "How good of a job has Wade Phillips done this year? He completely turned around this defense. Not only did he lose Mario Williams ... he lost his gall bladder, too!"

Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #33
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I really value stability in an organization, hope this team stays together a long time.

Philips can be our Le Beau. (sp?)
Old 01-08-2012   #34
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw on ESPN this am Schefter said Wade is interviewing in Tampa today (I think today). Other candidates there are Zimmer, Childress, Sherman, Jerry Gray.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...y-sources-says
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #35
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Saw on ESPN this am Schefter said Wade is interviewing in Tampa today (I think today). Other candidates there are Zimmer, Childress, Sherman, Jerry Gray.
No offense to Wade, but that has to be the weakest field of head coaching candidates I've ever seen. Brad Childress & Mike Sherman? Really?

If that represents the entire field of prospective coaches, Wade should get the job easily.
Old 01-08-2012   #36
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...y-sources-says
If this is true, it pisses me off. Wade needs to be preparing for the Ravens, not looking for a job.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #37
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Re: Wade Phillips: "I'm not looking to go anywhere"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If this is true, it pisses me off. Wade needs to be preparing for the Ravens, not looking for a job.
i read the story, no where does it say he interviewed with them today
Old 01-08-2012   #38
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Sherman is the front runner per La Canfora.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack

I'm keeping close tabs on the coaching carousel this year because I don't see how Wade wouldn't at least garner consideration from some of these clubs that haven't sniffed good football in the past 5 years. Wouldn't be surprised to see him interview a couple more times. For selfish reasons I obviously hope they pass on him this year. In our favor, there's no debate that Wade the coordinator is far superior to Wade the head coach.
Old 01-08-2012   #39
Fox
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i read the story, no where does it say he interviewed with them today
I believe Schefter said this morning on ESPN he was interviewing today, it's not in the story and I don't have it DVR'd to confirm, just going on memory.
Old 01-08-2012   #40
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 7822 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer are also candidates, sources said, along with former Green Bay Packers and Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman, who interviewed last week.

Candidates, not interviewed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read