Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012   #361
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Before I got off on my rant, my real question was does anyone know if Wade can fly this soon after his surgery so he can actually get to Baltimore?
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #362
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him. 200-126 as HC. Probably a healthier 68 than Wade's 65. He is more of a disciplinarian as well. I would think he would have an edge over Wade.
Old 01-09-2012   #363
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 140741 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
Before I got off on my rant, my real question was does anyone know if Wade can fly this soon after his surgery so he can actually get to Baltimore?
if i heard correctly, they're coming here. "interview in houston".
Old 01-09-2012   #364
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

I know its been said before, but what irritates me the most about this situation is that I should be thrilled the Texans won on Saturday. I should be ecstatic and enjoying the win all week. I should be gearing up for the Baltimore game, but I am not.

Instead I am thinking about potential DC coordinators to replace Wade. I am pretty sure Kubes and McNair will hire from within and give Herring the job rather than get someone good. I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #365
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39889 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
If he can't fly, I could see the Texans hiring a bus to drive him up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
if i heard correctly, they're coming here. "interview in houston".
I think he was referring to Wade being able to fly to Baltimore to coach on Sunday.

Old 01-09-2012   #366
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Marty Shottenheimer is 68 years old and the Bucs are going to interview him. 200-126 as HC. Probably a healthier 68 than Wade's 65. He is more of a disciplinarian as well. I would think he would have an edge over Wade.
Shottenheimer would be a great hire.
Old 01-09-2012   #367
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326354 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You're like a broken record with your Frank Bush love TK.
I was making a point. Thorn said Kubiak has never shown any ability to get someone in here who knows how to run a defense. I offered Frank Bush.
Quote:
Frank failed when he had a rash of injuries, Wade succeeded.
& that's my point as well. It wasn't the Xs & Os part of the job that Frank Bush failed..... it was having the fortitude to stay true to who you are.
Quote:
That's pretty much the end of it as far as I'm concerned but I have to admit that we all have our pet rehabilitation projects. I'm a Ron Dayne advocate so who am I to throw stones.
In no way am I saying to bring back Frank Bush. He failed to see what worked & to stick to it, then tried to get his players to be succesful at something they simply weren't.

Kubiak made the same error, by not telling Bush, "stick to that aggressive ****."

Hopefully, Kubiak has learned from Wade & will have the fortitude in the future to tell the next guy what needs to be done if he isn't seeing it himself.
Old 01-09-2012   #368
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I am all but convinced when Wade leaves the team returns to that 7 or 9 win NFL purgatory and that McNair will extend Kubes this off season and we will get several more years of Kubiocrity in Htown.
This is my nightmare as well. In no way shape or form am I conviced Kubiak can do the complete job. We are where we are at this season because of BOTH Phillips and Kubiak, not just one of them. And I'm not conviced of either of them being able to do the job of head coach if one of them leaves, but for arguments sake, I'd keep Wade ahead of Kubiak just 'cause.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #369
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129047 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.
Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

Quote:
But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).
Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

Quote:
In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still...
If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #370
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glazer Brothers could care less about Tampa Bay....

I didn't say anything about 66. Who is to say this ideal situation you speak of becomes available next year? Or the year after? HC jobs usually become available because the franchise is struggling. Good head coaches turn franchises around. If wade considers hgimself a good HC this opprotunity is as good a any other. In the nfl you can win anywhere if you do it right. I don't get what you are saying. This isn't the al davis owned raiders or the jerry owned cowboys. He can win in tampa.
Quote:
65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #371
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Bob Mcnair has nothing to do with this. He is not a coach, and he is not comparable. Stop trying to use him as some sort of shrine that coaches can't even think to be on the same Universe as. To me, that sounds like a cop out for Flip flopping on a coach. You might as well be like those fair weather fans that only want to care about a team when they're a good team. I mean, would you hate on AJ if he went off to another team to get more money and to be in a better situation?? Coaches coach for the most money and the best situation for them the majority of the time. Everyone keeps acting all "entitled" here for some reason on a franchise that hasn't been to a playoffs until now. How about appreciating who finally got us there??

Just as every coach does in the history of the NFL. You seem to forget that if the Texans had a horrible defense again, than Wade is probably fired after one season, so it's a two way street. Don't root for any coach on this team than, if they're only name and a face to you that is a nobody the minute that they are somewhere else. And what is this ego that you're talking about?? Wade is one of the most humble coaches around the league and has always been. I never thought I'd see a day where people put Wade and ego in the same sentence.

If Wade is back next season, what are you going to do than?? Act like he's a god over here and until the next team wants to talk to him?? If he has success here, he is going to be a wanted man around this league. That is how things work. Success on our defense = Teams wanting Wade Phillips. Do you not want success on this defense than?? Well either root for our defense and for Wade to do well here and be happy that he was and appreciative for a great job, or root for our defense just to be merely average so Wade can stay here forever. You can't really have it both ways.
I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #372
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

The NFL goes through phases in which every coaching carousel its either new blood in the coaching ranks or coaching retreads.

I would love to see Marty in the coaching ranks again and for a team with the kind of problems Tampa has had might be a good fit. I don't see why you'd hire someone soft as Wade in that situation.

Still some openings out there, I think some teams will entertain Wade as a HC, but I'd be surprised to see him get any.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #373
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129047 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I think its the 1 year and done thing and the timing. We all want the best for Wade but this team comes first over Wade. If he stays another year then at least he will have laid a good foundation here before he leaves. 1 year is nothing.
Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.
Old 01-09-2012   #374
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Having the best defensive team in the league with a ton of bad asses we picked up in the off season like Joseph, Manning, Watt, and Reed wasn't leaving this team with a good foundation to you? I don't see how he could have left a "better" foundation than that honestly. We had the best defense in the league this season and have enough pieces to be a really good defense for many years as long as we continue to build it.
Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.

Old 01-09-2012   #375
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 314353 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Players fit schemes.Watt and Reed were specifically selected with a Wade 3-4 in mind. When Wade leaves and if the Texans go outside the organization, the question will be if the players fot the new scheme. Can Watt play as a 4-3 DT or are you now wasting his talent there? Is Reed big enough to play as a 4-3 DE?

We have the pieces in place as long as Wade stays here. The second he leaves, the D regresses big time. The D gave up 28 to Carolina and 19 to Dan Orlovsky.
Exactly. + rep.

Old 01-09-2012   #376
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Firstly, it seems as if you're getting way to emotional over this. And as far as entitlement, yes, the players, the fans and the city are entitled to the best consumer-based product we can get, and that falls squarely on Bob McNair. Bob hired Kubiak and Bob hired Wade Phillips.

There is no flip-flopping here. It's called being diplomatic, in that there is good reasons for fans to be upset about this whole Wade Phillips business, just as there are a lot of reasons not to be. You're making it sound black and white, while it is very much shades of grey, all things considering.

Moreover, as I've said before, this whole thing with having an NFL team, from the owner(s) to the coaches, to the players and the fans, is symbiotic and circular in the socio-economic sense. As an example, you're seeing a very bad paradigm in Jacksonville, where the whole megillah is out of sync

I doubt I have to go through the whole Houston Texans' story for most people to recall how we all got into this NFL franchise, both financially and socially.

Quote:
Personally, I don't root for any coaches. Like I'm expected to perform, so are they. There job is to prepare their team to win this city a championship. None of them have done it yet. Bob McNair has not been able to do it yet as an owner.

But, really, everybody has an ego, and more times than not, success and a hightened ego go hand-in-hand. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but Phillips' repeated, "Check my record," leans to the fact that he feels he can get the job done as head coach. That's confidence and that ego. They walk together.

So what? Who cares, really?

What's more, after all of this, I have not bashed Wade one bit - and I don't feel that I've knocked him just because I'm not kissing his feet. Wade is cool. He's great, okay? But whether he stays or leaves there's not a damn thing anyone in here can do about it. Everybody has their own personal reaction, and it will continue that way whether Wade stays or leaves.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #377
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success?? Are you going to tell me that you would rather have hired someone else now?? People complaining are mad if our coaches aren't coaching a great unit, but then when they are so good that other teams want them, they want to be mad because that coach might want to leave. Well then, how about being mad at our owner for not making "Wade" the HC than if this is such a problem?

All of this stuff you're saying about these players like Watt and Reed are a problem at all unless our management are complete dumbasses and hire a DC that runs a 4-3. You don't switch to a 3-4 and then switch right back to a 4-3 the very next season. We have great players here to run the 3-4, so naturally the Texans management will find another guy who runs an effective version of the 3-4. That would be the common sense thing to do, and I can't see the Texans being stupid and hiring a 4-3 guy after we just invested all of this money into players for the 3-4.
Old 01-09-2012   #378
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Why is it so hard to understand that coaches leave when they get better opportunities?? If your coordinator does well, HE WILL GET OFFERS FROM OTHER TEAMS. It's how the NFL works. Why in the hell did any of you think that this wasn't a possibility the minute Wade was hired if he had a lot of success??
We know this Tex, we know it. But it doesn't mean we have to like it. And it also means if he leaves, our defense will not be as good. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to leave, he does, what we are saying is we don't like it.

As fans, we have the right to like or dislike what the team does, and what players and coaches do as well.

Old 01-09-2012   #379
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 30608 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The problem is we have seen several bad DC's here before Wade came. He has only been here a year and if he leaves who's to say they won't revert to hiring another bad DC.

We have seen first hand what a bad DC can do with some pretty solid players.

It was nice to think that our defense would only get better next year. Nice to see the Texans with all - or most of all - the pieces to be a contender for several years.

I really am not confident that the Texans would hire an experienced 3-4 DC to finish what Wade started. If Wade does leave and they hire from within, I think we are screwed - again.
Old 01-09-2012   #380
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, interviewing 68 year old Marty gives you the opportunity to announce you just hired Wade Phillips and no, he wasn't all that old after all. it's not like you hired a guy who is about to turn 70.

Must not be pessimistic about this.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read