Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012   #341
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Glazer Brothers could care less about Tampa Bay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
65 isn't any or less viable than 66. If he's going to jump at the first chance he's offered it will more than likely be another temporary caretaker position where the organization uses him and then throws him away. Stupid move in my opinion but his call to make.
exactly. People talk about everyone wants to be top dog, well Wade is top dog here despite not being HC. This is the perfect storm for him, right now, right here (no pun intended with current weather).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #342
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wade is old. He doesn't have time to sit around and wait for the perfect situation. Dude probabvly just wants one more shot.
And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #343
Texanfan4ever
All Pro

Rep Power: 77 Texanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanfan4ever is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!
Texanfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #344
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
Does anyone know if Wade is going with our team to Baltimore, or is his interview going to interfere with our team this time? I am actually asking if he can travel due to his illness, but this situation makes me so angry that he would do this right before the biggest game we've ever played! I understand advancement but right now, this is his job and he's not done yet here! It's disrespectful to our guys who have grown to depend on him! He could have waited till our season ended before starting this drama!

And if you don't believe this is a distraction, just turn on the radio, tv, news channels! Instead of spending the week being excited about our team, we have to hear abt our coach wanting to leave! I'm going to believe that our guys are stronger from all the adversity they have made it through, and they can put Wade's issue behind them and get the job done!

Go Texans !!!! WE BELIEVE!!!!
The game is on Sunday, Wade's interview is on Friday in Houston. I'm sure he will be driving with the team and that hi interview will have no effect on his ability to coach the D on Sunday.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #345
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
And the odds are against that in the modern era, isn't it? I heard something on 790 where they analyzed the ages of coaches in the last 10 to 20 years, and if I remember correctly they claimed that nobody has ever been hired as a 64 year old. There are tenured coaches who have reached that age, but not as a hire. I think the closest that came to that was Joe Gibbs who was hired at 63 years old (but of course he got the job because of prior experience with the organization).

Marv Levy was last hired at 61.

Tom Coughlin is 65 but he took the Giants job at 58.

Pete Carroll took his last job at 58, too.
Yup correct, I posted yesterday that Coughlin is the oldest but he has been with the team for awhile. He is too old, simple as that. Will NOT happen.
Old 01-09-2012   #346
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.
2012Champs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #347
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2012   #348
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!
Old 01-09-2012   #349
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
For everyone who complains about how they hate the timing of this just doesnt understand the business that is the NFL. No one here could or should hate on Wade. If I came into any job and kicked ass with aspirations of moving up, you bet your ass I would entertain any potential offer as would any of you if you were smart.

There's a lot of carry-over I think from the recent Kevin Sumlin loss/hiring as far as how the fans are taking this. A lot of Texans fans are Cougar fans (or at least casual Cougar fans) and this just played out over at UH. Nobody wants to see the Texans come out and crap themselves ala UH in the Conference USA championship game against Southern Mississippi. It may seem entirely unrelated but the timing couldn't be worse as far as the publics perception is concerned.
Old 01-09-2012   #350
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.

Phillips has been a hc numerous times so it isn't like he hasn't had a shot at it. So what is the rush? Finish out your contract here. It is his hometown. I guess I thought the guy would come here at his age and finish out his career. There are way more negatives with Wade leaving after such a short time than positives. Kubiak will get extended (again) because of this year and that tops that list for me. Of course this could all be Bobs fault if he promised Wade the hc job here thinking it would be a rebuilding year here switching to the 3-4 and the Texans would only be mediocre. Kubiak would be fired and Wade hired. But Peyton didn't play. Tennessee and Jacksonville are rebuilding. The Texans defense made a 30 place improvement. That all adds up to playoffs and Kubiak staying.

Am I selfish to want Wade to stay? Yep. So what. This is the team I have 10 years invested in along with alot more than that with the Oilers. Barring a superbowl win this year I will not like Wade for leaving after 1 year. In the end I don't think it will matter because I don't think Wade will be hired as a hc this year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #351
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Distraction-smaction if the players are that mentally incapable of not focusing on what their job is this Sunday, then that is on them. These things happen all the time. This isn't college, it's the NFL...

Do you think the Patriots players are giving a huge rat's arse that Josh McDainels is going to coordinate the offense this weekend and not O'Brien? I would bet my house that the hoodie has them focused and ready to go and that is the job Kubiak needs to do this Sunday.

Wade is going for an interview, not leaving the team before Sunday so it really shouldn't matter what Wade does on Friday as long as the game plan has been set for Sunday...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #352
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
It is the timing and the fact that he hasn't even finished coaching his 1st year here. I don't think anybody is against Wade taking another hc job if that is what he is set on doing. I really don't think Bob McNair would have hired Phillips if he knew he would only stay 1 year. If Wade leaves it will be a big turnover on personel and who knows what players will want to follow him. Hiring Wade could turn out to be more destructive than helpful to the team in the long run if he leaves after his first year.
Mario Williams anybody....Tampa defiantly has the cap space...

Old 01-09-2012   #353
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Wade has done a good job here, I don't blame him for looking for jobs elsewhere if he really wants to be a HC. I do blame him for doing it at the wrong time, I think it's a distraction for the team we didn't need.

just my .02
So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.
Old 01-09-2012   #354
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
I really can't believe that nobody has realized that there is a really simple solution here.....let Wade be head coach next year and Gary can be the offensive coordinator, then simply flip flop the next year. You know...everyone's happy!

If the two of them would do it I wouldn't be the slightest bit upset about that. Just give them both the title "Head Coach" and make them each all-powerful on their side of the ball. Whoever's players are on the field at the time is the man and he calls the shots.
Old 01-09-2012   #355
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...

Old 01-09-2012   #356
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
So you believe he should wait to look for a HC job until all the positions are filled?

It's not like it's out of the norm. The Broncos OC is interviewing for the Jags job. The Patriots current OC has already accepted a job - and participated in the press conference introducing him. Heck, we interviewed Kubiak during a playoff run by the Broncos after the 2005 season. Most, if not all, jobs will be filled before the Super Bowl. It's just the way the NFL works, and like injuries, it's just something teams have to deal with.
On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #357
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 40481 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Even if it works that way doesn't mean I have to like it, or the fact he could have waited if they really wanted him. Personally I don't think he'll get the job, but that's just me. He doesn't have a history of production good QB's and TB needs just as much as offensive help as defensive.

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #358
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It's called appreciation, and it always stinks when you're not appreciated when you deserve it. People including myself have bitched about Kubiak a lot over the years. Wade comes here and does a fantastic job and really helps to turn this team around. We have never had a true winning season in this history unless you want to claim to that 9-7 season a few years ago which I really don't. When a DC comes over here and in ONE SEASON takes the last place defense into the 1st place defense, that's historical and it's phenominal. Why wouldn't Wade possibly have other teams wanting him after he does something like that?? Why wouldn't he want several Million dollars more per season. That's the objective of a coach. To expect or to look down on a guy for wanting to achieve in his profession is selfish. You didn't have any problems wanting him to achieve here and he did. For a guy that finally made something huge happen in Houston after all these years in one season, he deserves a hell of a lot of respect from fans whether he leaves or not. If he does leave if anything, he deserves a warm farewell.
Just to be clear: Besides my job as devil's advocate, I feel very appreciative to Bob McNair for hiring Wade Phillips - not so much to Wade, because Wade is just doing his job. A good job is expected with a big name and a big hire like that. Even if Wade had failed I would still love Uncle Bob for it.

But yeah, Wade is looking out for himself and his family, just as I am. Fans should forget the aspect of Wade and his ego. That aspect of Wade is only theory (though we've had some indication of it by recent interviews).

In a magical world of unicorns and rainbows, though, the fan and coaches' relationship should be symbiotic in nature. That's not going to happen...but still...
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #359
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
and in all the years of NFL have you ever heard of this happening? Ever? with any team?

I face palm you for the thought...
Forgot I was on the web, where is that sarcasm smiley again? Really didn't think I would need it though..
Old 01-09-2012   #360
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
On top of all that, the Texans had to grant the Bucs the ability to interview him. It's not always a given that teams will grant that permission, so I'm sure Smithiak isn't too concerned about it. I know in the past when we were trying to fill Kyle Shanahan's spot, we were denied permission to interview a few coaches.
The Texans were required by NFL rules to grant permission. That only applies to a candidate interviewing for a promotion to HC, so that's why the Shanahan replacement was different.

The Texans have the right to approve the time and location of the interview, but they couldn't refuse to grant permission.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read