Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #221
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Here's a link to Wade's coaching history.
Old 01-08-2012   #222
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Grid's post is the perfect representation of what I feel on this topic.

I mean, I wish I could have just copied that post and claimed it as my own. Every part of it is what I feel but couldn't put into proper words.

He'll burn all bridges to Houston if he leaves this year. Period. 16 or 17 or something years since we had a playoff game, we get one AND win it...and the big news in Texans Nation is that Wade is considered for a job and is being interviewed this week sometime. In Houston.
Old 01-08-2012   #223
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

So actually he was 1-5 in playoffs even as DC prior to yesterday.....interesting
Old 01-08-2012   #224
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 244585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Isn't the jets shottenheimer also going to interview also?
Kind of strange ... rumors said he was being considered, but I think the Jets might fire him.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #225
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Kind of strange ... rumors said he was being considered, but I think the Jets might fire him.
Last I heard Schottenheimer was being considered for Jacksonville. The Jets should let it play out because they gave him an extension last year. If he takes a job elsewhere they don't owe him a penny.
Old 01-08-2012   #226
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 398 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Last I heard Schottenheimer was being considered for Jacksonville. The Jets should let it play out because they gave him an extension last year. If he takes a job elsewhere they don't owe him a penny.
I thought I heard Gruden's name for Jacksonville yesterday, but I may be mistaken, but I did hear of a team interested in Gruden too.
Old 01-08-2012   #227
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5046 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
really
Can you really make the case that Kubiak is somehow the better HC? Prior to this season he was 0-5 for making the playoffs and went 0-2 this season while Phillips was out. I'm sure that's just coincidence...

Think of this, if Wade does leave...do you really want Kubiak picking his own guy for DC again? EFF NO.
Old 01-08-2012   #228
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6844 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
so if we go into the ravens game with a half ass game plan cause wades head has been else where, you wont be mad ??? Think about what happened with sumlin and the cougars, this is the same scenario and it didnt work out to good for them.
You could even make a case for throwing Jay Gruden with Cincinnati yesterday in there too.
RTP2110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #229
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansdrummer View Post
If Wade leaves, that creates an opportunity for one of his guys to take over as DC.....a promotion.
Unless they follow Wade. And I'm not sure there is another coach on staff worthy of being the d-coordinator/head coach of the defense. McNair would likely need to look outside the organization for a Wade Phillips type (proven d- coordinator with a head coaching background). Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo, and (yes) Jack Del Rio would fit the profile.

JDR as Texans d-coordinator. That would be hilarious.
Old 01-08-2012   #230
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
John McClain
@McClain_on_NFL
Phillips should interview with Bucs Friday. "I'm gratified somebody noticed. I don't want to leave Hst but I want 2 b a head coach."
Dang. Looks like he is gone. That sucks. Looks like we go back to 7-8 wins next year without wade.

Sigh.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #231
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Unless they follow Wade. And I'm not sure there is another coach on staff worthy of being the d-coordinator/head coach of the defense. McNair would likely need to look outside the organization for a Wade Phillips type (proven d- coordinator with a head coaching background). Mike Nolan, Steve Spagnuolo, and (yes) Jack Del Rio would fit the profile.

JDR as Texans d-coordinator. That would be hilarious.
Nolan, Spags, and JDR.

I'm skeptical of Nolan. Spags is a thinker as a d-coord, you can see the wheels turning when he's on the sideline...very active on the sideline and very quick to address players and coach them up during games. When he was d-coord for the Giants, he was on top of his game.

JDR? I dunno. He is mean, tricky, and can be (at times) a bit underhanded. I don't think he would be a McNair type of hire, personally. It's funny because I couldn't stand him when he was coaching in Jax...but the guy isn't a bad coach. He takes risks, he has history of being a good d-coord IIRC. But he has this almost Rex Ryan feel to him, in a more low-key manner, though.

On your list, I'd go with Spags. I'd call him and ask him if he's interested should anything happen to Wade. Does Spags have 3-4 experience?
Old 01-08-2012   #232
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-coach-sherman

Jerry gray was interviewed and mike malarkey was rumored(Atlanta offensive coordinator)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #233
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

He has earnt a shot with what he has done with our team this year.

Just hope we can find someone to carry on the good work, and we don't just promote Herring to be DC.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #234
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
He has earnt a shot with what he has done with our team this year.

Just hope we can find someone to carry on the good work, and we don't just promote Herring to be DC.
You know the texans wiLl likely just promote herring when wade leaves. That's the kubiak way.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #235
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
You know the texans wiLl likely just promote herring when wade leaves. That's the kubiak way.
If that happens, expect to have a bad defense. Wade has seen so much in all his years, he knows what coaches and offenses are going to do before they do it.

This is why I like the idea of a guy like Steve Spagnola (sp?) who was just let go as HC by the Rams. He was the Giants d-coord before being HC for the Rams, and he knew his stuff as a d-coord in NY. Once a guy gets back to doing what he was gifted at, he seems to excel at it. Example: Dom Capers and Wade Phillips.

And Spags will have lots of years somewhere because no team will want to pick him up until he's had a lot of years of success somewhere else first.
Old 01-08-2012   #236
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Does Spags have 3-4 experience?
No, only Nolan has 3-4 experience. And a Kubiak linkage (was a Bronco LB coach when Gary was Elway's backup). Nolan also worked under Wade for 4 seasons in Denver (1989-1992).
Old 01-08-2012   #237
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
For sure Kubiak needs to change his ways. Herring "proved" himself when he was in charge of the two games Wade missed. The proof wasn't a good thing and surely even Kubiak can figure that out. Maybe not but I bet McNair has something to say about it. At least I hope he does.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #238
GP 
Go Texans!

I've been rolling this whole thing around in my head today. Taking in all the comments. Looking at the other candidates listed.

I don't think Wade Phillips has the chops to be a HC, and I think he won't get a chance to make a decision to become one again. He'll lose out because of his wishy-washy attitude when pressed on tough questions, his record in Dallas, and the sheer weight of the other candidates involved.

This might be the Bucs just making sure they turn over all the rocks that are out there, ranking their guys and then making a choice and an offer to ONE guy. Then going down the list if Guy 1 declines or can't agree on the contract.

This is my best attempt at being positive about this situation.
Old 01-08-2012   #239
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No, only Nolan has 3-4 experience. And a Kubiak linkage (was a Bronco LB coach when Gary was Elway's backup).
Yay.

Do you have his number? I need to get ahold of him and start seeing if he is interested if Wade bolts for Tampa Bay.
Old 01-08-2012   #240
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I've been rolling this whole thing around in my head today. Taking in all the comments. Looking at the other candidates listed.

I don't think Wade Phillips has the chops to be a HC, and I think he won't get a chance to make a decision to become one again. He'll lose out because of his wishy-washy attitude when pressed on tough questions, his record in Dallas, and the sheer weight of the other candidates involved.

This might be the Bucs just making sure they turn over all the rocks that are out there, ranking their guys and then making a choice and an offer to ONE guy. Then going down the list if Guy 1 declines or can't agree on the contract.

This is my best attempt at being positive about this situation.
LOL, this is what I said on page 5 bud. And you argued with me

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read