Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012   #181
blitz90
jock strap

Rep Power: 176 blitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respectedblitz90 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Wade to interview for TB job

Dumb question but if TB hires Wade he wouldn't leave before our playoff run was over, correct?
blitz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #182
Rick_Moon
Thank You

Section: 608, looking to move down.
Rep Power: 0 Rick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'd offer Bill Cowher whatever he would want as head coach, and tell him he's d-coord and assistant head coach.

Kubiak won't mind. He's entrenched as HC and he knows it. If he survived Wade Phillips, he would survive Cowher too. And it would mean a nasty, mean-ass d-coord the players would love even MORE than Wade. Bank on it.

Cowher makes people want to run through walls. Cushing and Braman are his type of guys. JJ Watt would be, as well. 'Meco. Manning. Joseph.

This team is stocked and primed for a guy like Cowher to re-enter the NFL and take off running with it. Coach's salary do not count against the cap, either.

It's a bold move. More bold than when Wade was hired last off-season. It would say that McNair won't stop until he gets what he wants. It would be universally respected in and out of the locker room.
That would be my dream scenario, but I think Cowher will only accept a HC job. I would forever love Kubiak if he kept a HC salary, but became the OC to allow Cowher to become the HC.
Old 01-08-2012   #183
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
You guys crack me up. This is how things are and have been done for years.

I'm going to be extremely dissapointed if Tampa hires him, but I don't hold it against him. The number of coordinators who would turn down an interview are 2 as far as I know. LeBeau and Jim Johnson (Philly).

Would any of you turn down the opportunity to increase your salary 4-fold in order to do something you love to do?
There is turning down a job when you are 37 and there is turning down a job when you are 64. Believe me, there is a huge, colossal difference there. Since I've been both, I can say that....

Yes, I would honestly turn it down -if I were 64, my parents were still alive in the city that loved me and where I had a job that I loved, I was the highest paid in that job of any other in the industry and I'd probably ask for a raise.

But if I were under 60? No, I'd head out as fast as my little legs would carry me.

Also, given the state of Wade's health which could be a factor - I'd rather be close to doctors in Houston than doctors in Tampa Bay.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #184
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Moon View Post
That would be my dream scenario, but I think Cowher will only accept a HC job. I would forever love Kubiak if he kept a HC salary, but became the OC to allow Cowher to become the HC.
even after this fans still calling for a new H.C. the guy just cant win. We lose Foster for some time, lose AJ, lose Leinart, and Schaub for the season, win our first play off game 31-10 and he still needs to be replaced ??? Did having wade as D.C help, it sure did but through all the offensive injuries Kubiak has kept the offense rolling and confident.
Old 01-08-2012   #185
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

if Wade goes to TB he could take Mario with him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #186
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
This is business ... it's not personal, Sonny, it's strictly business!!!
I like this movie quote better (Smokey and The Bandit):

"She insulted my town. My author-ity. She insulted my son. Shut up! She insulted my author-ity. And that's nuthin' but pure and simple, good old-fashioned COMMUNISM! Happens EVERY time those dancers start poon-tang'ing around with those show folk fags. (shakes his head)...I can see her now. Runnin' back up the aisle, no...she was DANCIN' back up that aisle. Them knockers bouncing all over the joint. Let go of that wheel! (slaps Junior's hand away from the wheel). Her ass was wiggling' too!"

LOL.

This accurately describes my mood right now. I feel Buford T. Justice's pain right now. Some floozie (Bucs front office) trying to ruin our day.
Old 01-08-2012   #187
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Wade's career coaching record is 82-59 as compared to Kubiak's awesome six year run of 47-49.

The best coach on a staff is in demand, what is so unusual with that?
Old 01-08-2012   #188
Rick_Moon
Thank You

Section: 608, looking to move down.
Rep Power: 0 Rick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respectedRick_Moon is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
even after this fans still calling for a new H.C. the guy just cant win. We lose Foster for some time, lose AJ, lose Leinart, and Schaub for the season, win our first play off game 31-10 and he still needs to be replaced ??? Did having wade as D.C help, it sure did but through all the offensive injuries Kubiak has kept the offense rolling and confident.
Way to overreact... again. I never said Kubiak sucks or anything like that, it was a scenario to get another great defensive coach in case Wade bails. This is all speculation at this point, so please chill out, and try to enjoy the ride. Maybe take some time off of the forums.
Old 01-08-2012   #189
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed, the thought of getting rid of Kubiak because Wade leaves is MIND BLOWING. Gary has improved ten fold and the team is finally the way he wants. You don't just get rid of him, especially after a playoff win and a division championship LOL.

Also, the thought of Cowher coming here to be Assistant HC and DC ir LOL worthy. the guy wants to run the front office including GM like he basically did in Pit. Why would he take a back seat to Gary? Would LOVE IT, but never going to happen.

IF Wade leaves, which I doubt, we would interview Herring and look at a few other choices. I just hope we do not rush to hire Herring, just because he is on staff now. We would need to do our due diligence and shop around.

Also, I doubt Wade would leave during the playoffs. He would finish the season and then leave if he took the job.
Old 01-08-2012   #190
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

lol so many temper tantrums in one thread, amazing.

Wade wants to be a head coach, who are we to tell him he can't? The head coaching carousel doesn't wait for you to be knocked out to decide who they want to hire. When a job opens up you're interested in, you take the interview as soon as you can, period. All this crap about waiting to get knocked out is just butt hurt reasoning, that's just not how it works.

Also, about this being bad houston football juju, take a look at most good teams in the NFL. It's hardly uncommon to be a victim of your own success. How many Patriots assistants go on to be head coaches? Let's see, McDaniels, Crennel, now O'Brien, Weis, etc, etc and that's just one team. This is the kind of thing that happens when you have a lot of success, so if we continue having success you should just get used to it. Hardly a Houston thing, it just seems that way because we've never had so much success from a coordinator.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #191
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Moon View Post
Way to overreact... again. I never said Kubiak sucks or anything like that, it was a scenario to get another great defensive coach in case Wade bails. This is all speculation at this point, so please chill out, and try to enjoy the ride. Maybe take some time off of the forums.
buddy u obviously have not been around here long, that is me chilled.
Old 01-08-2012   #192
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak deserves to be here. He waded (literally, I suppose) through a lot of lean years and held it together until the calvary could arrive.

I think he should stay HC, but that we need another hired gun type of d-coord like we had in Wade (assuming Wade gets a HC gig somewhere, of course). To me, there is a guy who would command a lot of respect and attention of the players on defense, who has been around 3-4 defenses a long time, and who has championship experience. He's currently on a CBS TV set with some other former NFL players. Look, he wants a lot of money? Done deal. He wants full command of the defense? Done deal. You couldn't ask for a better re-entry into the NFL coaching world than to inherit the defense we have, coupled with the offense we have.

If Cowher cherishes the toil and the crap sandwiches that being a HC offers him, then he's entitled to that belief. But I just wonder if the guy could be able to see that the Houston d-coord gig, and the money, it's something worth its weight in gold. If Wade wants to cast these pearls to pigs, let some guy like Cowher be the beneficiary of it.

Of course, he'll end up leaving too. BUT, I'll take borrowed time at this point.
Old 01-08-2012   #193
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz90 View Post
Dumb question but if TB hires Wade he wouldn't leave before our playoff run was over, correct?
Yes, generally the coordinator finishes the season with his current team before moving to his new heading coaching job.

Overall, there has been little evidence that NFL teams/players have been conistently distracted by coordinators interviewing/leaving.
Old 01-08-2012   #194
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
There is turning down a job when you are 37 and there is turning down a job when you are 64. Believe me, there is a huge, colossal difference there. Since I've been both, I can say that....

Yes, I would honestly turn it down -if I were 64, my parents were still alive in the city that loved me and where I had a job that I loved, I was the highest paid in that job of any other in the industry and I'd probably ask for a raise.

But if I were under 60? No, I'd head out as fast as my little legs would carry me.

Also, given the state of Wade's health which could be a factor - I'd rather be close to doctors in Houston than doctors in Tampa Bay.

I get it, and frankly, I'm kind of surprised he wants to do it, but I don't have any animosity for him making the decision.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #195
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/Defens...antCoaches.htm
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012   #196
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
What is this? Upon my first view it is hot garbage.
Old 01-08-2012   #197
GP 
Go Texans!

Gene Chizik, not on the hot seat at Auburn. But his strength is serving as d-coord where he's had tremendous success at both Auburn and at University of Texas. Here's more on the guy:

Quote:
Chizik later employed a very similar scheme at Auburn, where he served again as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach from 2002–04. During this time, he had some of the greatest successes of his career to date. He coached in three bowl games, the 2003 Capital One Bowl, 2004 Music City Bowl, and 2005 Sugar Bowl. His 2004 defensive unit led the country in scoring defense, giving up 11.3 points per game,[6] and the total defense ranked 5th, which is the same ranking the 2003 team recorded.[7] He garnered the 2004 Broyles Award, which is given each year to the top assistant coach in the nation. The 2004 Auburn Tigers football team finished 13-0 that year, won the SEC title, and defeated Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl. It placed second in the final AP and Coaches polls.[8]

In 2005, Chizik was hired by Texas to serve as their co-defensive coordinator, assistant head coach, and linebackers coach.[9] During his time at Texas, the team won the 2005 NCAA Division I-A national football championship by defeating USC in the 2006 Rose Bowl.
Old 01-08-2012   #198
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That certainly seems like they are VERY interested in him, to come to Houston so he doesn't have to travel (due to recovery from surgery).

I think he's definitely in the mix. Won't say he's got the job, but will say that I think he's in their Top 3 for sure.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a video interview. No need to fly all over the country for these kinds of things.
I agree with what you've said about Kubiak having to deal with the mere presence of Phillips. That's very uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I think you're overreacting in a big way to this news. Why would you fault someone for wanting to get a promotion? This is all very ordinary.
Old 01-08-2012   #199
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
What is this? Upon my first view it is hot garbage.
It has Ruffin McNeil at No. 24 on the list, still has him listed as being TTU d-coord and he's in full TTU garb. The site has not been updated, but the date at the top is on automatic update so it appears to be current (but isn't). IMO.
Old 01-08-2012   #200
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were a video interview. No need to fly all over the country for these kinds of things.
I agree with what you've said about Kubiak having to deal with the mere presence of Phillips. That's very uncomfortable.
On the other hand, I think you're overreacting in a big way to this news. Why would you fault someone for wanting to get a promotion? This is all very ordinary.
It's MY team! LOL. MINE MINE MINE!!!!! No touchy my team!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read