Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-09-2012   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2012   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?

Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?
Old 01-09-2012   #3
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 27679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I could see him getting 3-5 carries per game but any more than that would probably be a stretch.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 159792 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Why trot your third string RB out in the playoffs when your 1st and 2nd string 4 down backs are healthy?
Yep, you rest starters FOR the playoffs, not IN the playoffs.
Old 01-09-2012   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 133852 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

It's hard enough getting enough carries for Tate as it is. Ward has played well when called in, but he has Tate and Foster in front of him and we need those guys out there in the playoffs Gary.
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #6
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Ward's a good RB, I'd give him a few carries per game just to take some of the load off of Foster and Tate but in the playoffs you go with your best man and that's Foster.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The simple answer is that foster is better down-in, down-out RB back than any of the Saints RB. He did not look like he needed rest in the 4th quarter the last game.
Old 01-09-2012   #8
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 87188 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

No, I am a firm believer of guys getting a groove for the game and getting stronger as they go on. Foster, AND to an extent Tate, are exactly that. They start off kind of then BOOM just explode as the defense wears down. And when Foster is not in the groove Tate has been. IF both were playing crappy in the game, THE MAYBE, just maybe consider Ward, but if it were me, I would just continue to roll Foster out there because he is an elite player and elite players makes things happen when the times get tough.....
Old 01-09-2012   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.
Old 01-09-2012   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I am just curious why he has not been getting any carries it seems like to me. I have seen him in the game on special teams but not really running the football. Tate and Foster both rock but Ward would keep both of them fresh and look at how many running backs New Orleans uses during their games. Any thoughts? I am just wondering but not complaining about it. Thanks.
The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Quote:
Juses, I am just talking about a few carries if you have him use him.
If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?
Old 01-09-2012   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The thing about New Orleans, is that they have 3 different style running backs. Since they all bring something different to the table, the OC finds ways to get them in the game.

Foster pretty much does everything. Tate is a close second, also very well rounded. Ward, while a good back, doesn't bring anything new to the table.

If you're not going to like the answer, you shouldn't ask the question?
Because there is no need to think that I want Ward to start.
Old 01-09-2012   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only reason would be if Tate or Foster got overwhelmed. Your 3rd string RB stays on the bench. If Foster had continued to fumble and jump offsides, then maybe you think about it, but no.
Old 01-09-2012   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

So no one agrees with me and that is fine to each their own.
Old 01-09-2012   #14
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

If all goes to plan right now, Ward will only see special teams from here on out. Foster is a hoss and Tate does a damn good impression of one. Ward is a solid option at #3 but I think it would be a bit of a dilemma if he sees even one carry for the rest of the season. It's not Ward, he's good. It's Foster and Tate. They're better.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.
Old 01-09-2012   #16
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes, they are better but I still think all three should be used but I am not angry either.
Gary, whilst I can't agree with giving Ward any real game-time given the context that we're heading into the divisional playoffs (to me, like everyone else it seems, you just don't take your #1 & #2 out of the game unless it becomes necessary).

That said, this is something I do think should have happened more in the regular season, Ward should have been getting a few reps a game when healthy, to slightly lower the number of reps on the other 2 guys. He also should have been getting loads of reps in blowouts where we were just running the clock and seeing out the 4th quarter.

That said, when I'm complaining about the lack of use our 3rd string running back has had, I must be pretty freaking content!!
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #17
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #18
MannyFresh
El Capitan

Rep Power: 399 MannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respectedMannyFresh is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
In the playoffs you dont use your 3rd team RB, except in cases of emergency/blowout.

Ward is going to look pretty good playing for the Lions/Giants next yr.
He'd make great trade bait with other options for another respectable true #2 WR thats for sure.
Old 01-09-2012   #19
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if he is any good at KR? But that's about it. Foster and Tate are much, much better. I'd rather not see Ward on offense, cause that means the other two are healthy.
Old 01-09-2012   #20
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Should Derrick Ward Get More Carries?
You are probably right. He should be carrying more helmets and shoulder pads.

While I like Ward as a player, as long as Foster and Tate are healthy, Ward is a nice insurance policy.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read