Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-06-2012   #1
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Best way to cover AJ Green

What do you think is the best way to cover AJ Green. Have JJo on him with help over the top, which means Jackson/Allen will not get much help.

Have Jackson/Allen on Green with help over the top and JJo on their number 2.

Or play sides of the field and just move the safety back and forth to help each corner on him

I know this sounds bad, but I think we need to let Jackson/Allen cover Green (I refuse to call him AJ, as this is 80s name) and have JJo cover their number 2 one on one....This hopefully shuts down their number 2 making them force it to Green. If JJo is on him then its most likely their number 2 will be open as Jackson and Allen are not that good
Old 01-06-2012   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Best way to cover AJ Green

Just have Cushing knock his butt out and let's shut 'em down.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #3
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 28606 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

They like to just throw it up high to him, and let him outjump whoever is covering him, even in tight coverage. In that scenario, either he gets the ball, or nobody gets the ball. He did that once vs JJo in the first game where Joseph was covering him pretty good.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #4
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 229176 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Untie his shoelaces like they did Ndamukong Suh.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #5
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Worked for Ochocinco
Old 01-06-2012   #6
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Just have Cushing knock his butt out and let's shut 'em down.
Now you're talking... I say first play put Reed out on him lined up in a 3pt stance... It'll at least force a timeout and a plan change...

But seriously, we played against a player like that in HS, he was tall and athletic, caught everything...we put our quickest lb on him and he never really had a chance... He was on his ass a lot... He liked to start his routes inside a lot, the lb would mow over him on his way to the QB... If he did break out of a jam it was too late and the QB was running... They were the highest scoring O in district by a mile, held 'em to 7... He was limping by the 2nd qt from just trying to get past 5 yards...

Dunno if the Texans can do that... Just have to get to Dalton without leaving the TE open...going to be interesting strategy-wise for both teams...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #7
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd say just man up Green and Simpson, leave the safeties to play safety and really let loose the dogs of war. The front has been and is the strength of the D this year, let them feast on this rookie QB. Unless they can start connecting on screens and turn them into big gains, just try to keep a blanket on everything and hope the pass rush eats Dalton alive. If they can block that, god forbid, I think I'd just let the CBs play a certain side and roll the zones over to Green but that's worst case scenario.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2012   #8
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Play him like they did in the first game. If we can hold him to 5 catches for 59 yards, and no touchdowns again, I'd take it!

Green is an awesome talent. I compare him to a Randy Moss w/o the talk and not afraid to take a hit. They're going to throw a lot of jump balls to him, so I prefer Jojo on him with safety help over the top in case he does come down with the ball.

We probably won't be able to stop him very often on those jump balls, so it's up to putting pressure on Dalton to make sure he doesn't have a chance to throw them.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 96950 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Punch 'em in the face!
Old 01-06-2012   #10
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 50351 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
I'd say just man up Green and Simpson, leave the safeties to play safety and really let loose the dogs of war. The front has been and is the strength of the D this year, let them feast on this rookie QB. Unless they can start connecting on screens and turn them into big gains, just try to keep a blanket on everything and hope the pass rush eats Dalton alive. If they can block that, god forbid, I think I'd just let the CBs play a certain side and roll the zones over to Green but that's worst case scenario.
Seen Dalton's numbers against the blitz this year? Dalton is proficient outside the pocket. I think if we play disciplined gaps and drop 6 into coverage we'll be just fine. Our over aggressive first half against them had us way out of position and Benson went nutty. Wade learned his lesson holding them to 3 second half points.
Old 01-06-2012   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
Play him like they did in the first game. If we can hold him to 5 catches for 59 yards, and no touchdowns again, I'd take it!

Green is an awesome talent. I compare him to a Randy Moss w/o the talk and not afraid to take a hit. They're going to throw a lot of jump balls to him, so I prefer Jojo on him with safety help over the top in case he does come down with the ball.

We probably won't be able to stop him very often on those jump balls, so it's up to putting pressure on Dalton to make sure he doesn't have a chance to throw them.
I like him ALOT as a player, but Moss was a complete freak. I honestly can't think of too many WR's that come close to his physical ability. No body reminds me of Moss, but Green is pretty damn good for a rookie.
Old 01-06-2012   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

You send 6 of front 7 to disrupt Dalton and use Ryans to attack TEs and RB. Cush will drop in coverage some. I want Joseph man to man with Quin over the top on Bengals best WR. #2s corners play the other WR with our best FS Manning helping them out. If Green can consistently beat our best CB and Quin, more power to them.

Our AJ even just back from injury is better than their AJ.
Old 01-06-2012   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Have jackson on green jackson is much taller then jo jo. And might be able to out physical green.

Jo jo can than be free to shut down simpson or who ever is number 2
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #14
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
Have jackson on green jackson is much taller then jo jo. And might be able to out physical green.

Old 01-06-2012   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Green has been a non-factor since his shoulder injury..........

...........4 passes for 51 yards in the past 2 weeks...........that along with Dalton's accuracy of 54% completions in the last 5 games.......with an average of ~175 yards/game........well.........

Recently, teams have apparently double covered Green, essentially shutting down the Dalton/Green "connection."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #16
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post

."
Funny thing about the gif is that his teammates just don't seem that interested in it all.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #17
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 53129 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Green has been a non-factor since his shoulder injury..........

...........4 passes for 51 yards in the past 2 weeks...........that along with Dalton's accuracy of 54% completions in the last 5 games.......with an average of ~175 yards/game........well.........

Recently, teams have apparently double covered Green, essentially shutting down the Dalton/Green "connection."
I like this.. I say shut that down at all costs and make Simpson beat us. I am sure Phillips will have this under control. It will be interesting to see how WP chooses to cover Green.

"I always said I wanted to play for one team, and to be able to play for the Houston Texans for the rest of my career, it's a tremendous honor." -Andre Johnson

Last edited by Nitrofish; 01-07-2012 at 04:19 AM.
Nitrofish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #18
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Funny thing about the gif is that his teammates just don't seem that interested in it all.
Nobody likes a show off.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92342 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

I'm so confused!
Old 01-07-2012   #20
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I'm so confused!
Norg is good at that.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read