Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you defer or receive?
Kick the ball, allow our defense to start the game. 35 72.92%
Receive, score first and put them in the hole. 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2012   #21
PureTexan
100% Texan

Section: Sec 537
Default Re: Coin flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I would kick it. The crowd will be loudest at the start of the game. Get our defense on the field and set the tempo of the game on snap one. Bring the rush and play intense. Force them to a 3 and out and start the game winning the field position battle.
Dalton is a Rookie and this is the playoffs.....he isn't going out there and driving down the field right out of the gate.

To take our Rookie and throw him straight into the fire is a bad move.

I don't know about everyone else but when your adrenaline is peaking and emotions are high, "fine touch" and "feel" go right out the window and are replaced by retard strength........this is playing to the strength of our defense.

Put Andy on his heals, make him nervous, get his head rattled, let him hear the noise and have his coaches yelling in his ear about "CALM DOWN CALM DOWN!"

If you do this, Andy isn't himself till mid way through the 2nd QTR........THATS clock management.

And BTW - no one asked "What will Kubiak do" rather what would YOU do.
Old 01-06-2012   #22
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTexan View Post
Dalton is a Rookie and this is the playoffs.....he isn't going out there and driving down the field right out of the gate.

To take our Rookie and throw him straight into the fire is a bad move.

I don't know about everyone else but when your adrenaline is peaking and emotions are high, "fine touch" and "feel" go right out the window and are replaced by retard strength........this is playing to the strength of our defense.

Put Andy on his heals, make him nervous, get his head rattled, let him hear the noise and have his coaches yelling in his ear about "CALM DOWN CALM DOWN!"

If you do this, Andy isn't himself till mid way through the 2nd QTR........THATS clock management.

And BTW - no one asked "What will Kubiak do" rather what would YOU do.
Dalton 5-3 on the road as a starter. Doesn't seem to make a ton of mistakes on the road.
Old 01-06-2012   #23
PureTexan
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Dalton 5-3 on the road as a starter. Doesn't seem to make a ton of mistakes on the road.
Couple of different points :

#1. Yes he is 5-3 on the road but the 3 losses were to good defenses while this 5 wins came against Cleveland, Jacksonville, Seattle, Tennessee, and StL which are hardly steller defenses.

#2. And while he has been 5-3 on the road, he has yet to see an atmosphere like this. He is winless during the playoffs which is 0-0

#3. He was born in 1987

In conclusion, he has done well against teams everyone does well against and faired less well against better defenses like ours. He is young and will show less poise then a vet who has been there and knows what to expect.

If the defense sets out to make Andy 1 dimentional and forces him to throw, you put the pressure on Andy during a day in an atmosphere that is daunting even for vets.

Given the choice in leaning on your top ranked defense with vets or a mid-level offense led by inexperience, I can not see a logical reason to NOT take advantage of the emotion and let your defense set the tone of the game.
Old 01-06-2012   #24
dinkatoid
Veteran

Rep Power: 628 dinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respecteddinkatoid is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take the ball if I won the toss. There are good arguments for both sides, but the way I see it, our D is at its best when we have a lead and they are forced them into a one dimensional team that has to drop back 40+ times, so our rush can pin their ears back and rush. The way to make this happen is to get on top early.

I think Yates and Dalton are both extremely level-headed for rookies, so I would not be surprised to see them less rattled than most people think. They will still make a mistake or two, as rookies will do, but I expect both teams to not change much up and run pretty balanced game plans. However, the best way to rattle Dalton is to force him to pass as much as possible.
Old 01-06-2012   #25
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Our offense won't take long to score, and that gives fans time to get into their seats.

If they score on us opening drive, it will kill the crowd.
Old 01-06-2012   #26
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 24813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
No, he hasn't deferred yet this season when we've won the toss. I do recall him doing it once last season, or maybe it was the season before?
Technically you are correct. Gary has not deferred when winning the toss. But one time this year there was some mix up and the Texans won the toss yet Demeco deferred for some reason.

I believe John McClain asked Kubiak about it and Kubes kinda brushed it off saying there was a mix up with him and Ryans. I don't know exactly what it was - but I would hope it was Demeco going against the grain, on purpose, and sort of saying, "Sorry coach, I misheard you."
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #27
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Historically, Kubiak has taken the ball every time. Why would he change now?
Iirc, there was a story last year early in the season where Demeco went to the coin toss and we won it. He immediately said defer in spite of Kubiak's order to get the ball. I'm not sure how it went, but I think Alan Burge wrote about that story.
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree, take the ball, get your scripted drive outta the way and come away with 7. We need to play ahead this game. No need to let them drive the field and deflate the crowd in the first 7 minutes of the game.
Smart people think alike.
Old 01-06-2012   #29
machineo
Rookie

Rep Power: 233 machineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respectedmachineo is a quality contributor and well respected

I would love if the defense gifted Yates with great field position from a Bengals 3 and out. It puts your best unit out there, and the crowd gets 2-3 minutes of game clock to scream their 9 year frustrations out.
machineo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #30
PureTexan
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineo View Post
I would love if the defense gifted Yates with great field position from a Bengals 3 and out. It puts your best unit out there, and the crowd gets 2-3 minutes of game clock to scream their 9 year frustrations out.
exactly....
Old 01-06-2012   #31
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTexan View Post
Couple of different points :

#1. Yes he is 5-3 on the road but the 3 losses were to good defenses while this 5 wins came against Cleveland, Jacksonville, Seattle, Tennessee, and StL which are hardly steller defenses.

#2. And while he has been 5-3 on the road, he has yet to see an atmosphere like this. He is winless during the playoffs which is 0-0

#3. He was born in 1987

In conclusion, he has done well against teams everyone does well against and faired less well against better defenses like ours. He is young and will show less poise then a vet who has been there and knows what to expect.

If the defense sets out to make Andy 1 dimentional and forces him to throw, you put the pressure on Andy during a day in an atmosphere that is daunting even for vets.

Given the choice in leaning on your top ranked defense with vets or a mid-level offense led by inexperience, I can not see a logical reason to NOT take advantage of the emotion and let your defense set the tone of the game.
1. We had the second weakest schedule in the AFC and still lost to teams with losing records which Cincy has not (Indy, Carolina). So your point is not even valid. Hell we played 3 of those teams as well. Point is invalid.

2. He's been to Baltimore and Pittsburgh. How is that not an environment like this? Point also invalid

3. Yates was born in 87 and has 10 fewer starts. Also invalid.

I can't even begin to tell you how less than stellar our offense has been with TJ Yates. In the last 6 games we've managed 9 total touchdowns and TJ has thrown 3 picks. Andy Dalton has thrown 1 pick in the last 5 games and his qb rating goes way up under pressure.

Yes I'm rooting for the Texans, but you're drunk on Kool-aid.

Last edited by NastyNate; 01-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #32
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by machineo View Post
Really hoping Jacoby greased up his compass and can find upfield. D-Man should give us decent kickoff field position. This is going to be a battle though and you can bet I'll be screaming my ass off!

Oh and btw, I'll have a bottle of aspirin if anyone needs some after screaming so loud. Sec 138 dd. Hit me up, i'll be the giant 6'4" 270 guy shaved head sleeved up... Open invite!
Old 01-06-2012   #33
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1. We had the second weakest schedule in the AFC and still lost to teams with losing records which Cincy has not (Indy, Carolina). So your point is not even valid. Hell we played 3 of those teams as well. So you're wrong.

2. He's been to Baltimore and Pittsburgh. How the hell is that not an environment like this? You're wrong x2

3. Yates was born in 87 and has 10 fewer starts. Stupid point

In closing, dimensional doesn't have a T. I can't even begin to tell you how less than stellar our offense has been with TJ Yates. In the last 6 games we've managed 9 total touchdowns and TJ has thrown 3 picks. Andy Dalton has thrown 1 pick in the last 5 games and his qb rating goes way up under pressure.

Yes I'm rooting for the Texans, but you're a blind homer. Go play on the houstontexans.com forums. You'll fit in perfectly there.
Im not a mod, but this is EXACTLY the crap that is not needed on ANY FORUM....The guy made valid points and you debated him, no need to insult him and tell him where to post. Not to be a d!ck, but YOU are the one being out of line right now.
Old 01-06-2012   #34
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
Im not a mod, but this is EXACTLY the crap that is not needed on ANY FORUM....The guy made valid points and you debated him, no need to insult him and tell him where to post. Not to be a d!ck, but YOU are the one being out of line right now.
I never said he was out of line. I said he was blinded by homerism. It happens to us all. I will tone it down a tad, but I'm a forward thinking individual who can see the perspective of football, not simply drown in the basking glory of Houston Texans lore. I think the sheer electricity running through my veins for the game tomorrow has me on edge. I shall calm down.

Nate
Old 01-06-2012   #35
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
So... you care about the rat's ass? Interesting... very interesting...
He has a tiny little weewee. It's all genetic. LOL
Old 01-06-2012   #36
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
So... you care about the rat's ass? Interesting... very interesting...
He has a tiny little weewee. It's all genetic. LOL
I voted kick it and let the D set up the first score.
Old 01-06-2012   #37
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I never said he was out of line. I said he was blinded by homerism. It happens to us all. I will tone it down a tad, but I'm a forward thinking individual who can see the perspective of football, not simply drown in the basking glory of Houston Texans lore. I think the sheer electricity running through my veins for the game tomorrow has me on edge. I shall calm down.

Nate
Oh I know all about electricity running through the veins....We are all super pumped for this game!!!! Hopefully tomorrow we come away with a HUGE win, that way no one on the board goes a-wall....and blind homerism has its way with all of us at some point
Old 01-06-2012   #38
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Receive, try to get Yates in the groove early without the potential of having to chase the game.

Yates is the key to this game in my opinion, we need him to be able to get the ball out and down the field.
Old 01-06-2012   #39
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

always ge the ball if u win the coin toss that way it gives more people to get to there seat and get rdy to be loud

and guyz if we are down by like 21 points on sat plzzz dont let that kill the crowd lets be loud for 60 mins !!!!!!!!!!!1 :P
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #40
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

How about a Pittsburgh game-esque drive? 19 plays, 95 yards to open up the game?

Gimme the ball first. Hopefully score. Give Yates some confidence. I'd actually even consider trying that first play we did against Tampa.

Then unleash the dogs of hell.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read