Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Do you defer or receive?
Kick the ball, allow our defense to start the game. 35 72.92%
Receive, score first and put them in the hole. 13 27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2012   #1
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Coin flip

So, you are Gary Kubiak, you just won the coin toss Saturday. Do you want to receive or defer to get the ball after the half?

Do you send the defense out there to set the tone for the game, or do you go out on offense and try to light up the score board immediately?

I would kick. Set the tone on defense and release the bulls immediately on Dalton. Show them who's house they are in, plus the crowd will be crazy from the start so allowing that to roll into the game would help our home field advantage.
Old 01-06-2012   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127995 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Coin flip

C) Could give a damn about the rats ass!
Old 01-06-2012   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
C) Could give a damn about the rats ass!
So... you care about the rat's ass? Interesting... very interesting...
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates was great 1st drive sunday
Old 01-06-2012   #5
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Yates was great 1st drive sunday
And that was AFTER we stopped the Tacks once
Old 01-06-2012   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
And that was AFTER we stopped the Tacks once
Point is that our scripted 1st drives have been good this season. That one was 90 yards which made it more difficult.

I say give to Yates with the score 0-0 and us on our 20 and it minimizes complications or feelings that he has to force it.
Old 01-06-2012   #7
PureTexan
100% Texan

Section: Sec 537

I say you kick and play defense :

#1. Given our offense and defense, clearly our defense is our better attribute

#2. You are at home and Houston is geeked right now; crowd will be LOUD!

#3. Playing offense with a geeked crowd having trouble sitting still is tough

#4. Let the crowd release all this nervous energy, let the defense go nutty, set the stage and tempo and let Yates relize, "Its all goingto be okay because all these people are rooting for you and came here for you."

Once it soaks in and Yates sees that his defense is there to help him, he can go out their more relaxed and a crowd who got out 10+ years of playoff frustration.

But wudda I know <shrug>
Old 01-06-2012   #8
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd put the D out there first. Them fans, they'll blow the roof off the damn stadium and Dalton will get rattled, maybe cough up the ball. Give 80 a chance to let the reality sink in before he goes apeshit on Cincy's D.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #9
Sigma
All Pro

Rep Power: 27545 Sigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respectedSigma is a quality contributor and well respected

I will want him to choose the kick

I just hate when we've less points on the board and on top of that the other team get the ball to start the second half

Or maybe we have more points on the board but the other team get the ball to start the half and can catch up on us...

I don't know if that would be better for the team tho....

-EDIT-

Oh, other than that there's another point in favor

1- if you end the half with a good offence drive you can have another drive to put even more points on the board
2- if you end the half with a good defence drive you can take advantage and put more points then the opponents did in their last drive
3- if you end the half with a bad offence drive you can rest the guys and put em out to redeem themselves
4- if you end the half with a bad defence drive you can rest the defence and have the opportunity to put points on the board to consoidate the lead/diminish the distance

well, that's what I've always thought, don't know if my interpretation is correct
Old 01-06-2012   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would kick it. The crowd will be loudest at the start of the game. Get our defense on the field and set the tempo of the game on snap one. Bring the rush and play intense. Force them to a 3 and out and start the game winning the field position battle.

If we do receive the ball, I hope the very first play is a deep bomb to AJ. Just chunk it up to him for a long score on the first playoff game of his, and the organizations, existence!!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #11
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Offense.

I don't care how loud it would be for the Bengals' offense if we elected to kick to them, you don't give Dalton and his offense a chance to drive the field and kill clock.

You get the ball, run your plays and eat the clock...hopefully get points off of it, then let your defense support your points. Let our D have something to defend.
Old 01-06-2012   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 132411 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Historically, Kubiak has taken the ball every time. Why would he change now?
Old 01-06-2012   #13
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Historically, Kubiak has taken the ball every time. Why would he change now?
Has he? I thought we deferred a few times this season...
Old 01-06-2012   #14
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 53145 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Offense.

I don't care how loud it would be for the Bengals' offense if we elected to kick to them, you don't give Dalton and his offense a chance to drive the field and kill clock.

You get the ball, run your plays and eat the clock...hopefully get points off of it, then let your defense support your points. Let our D have something to defend.
I agree, take the ball, get your scripted drive outta the way and come away with 7. We need to play ahead this game. No need to let them drive the field and deflate the crowd in the first 7 minutes of the game.
Old 01-06-2012   #15
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I agree, take the ball, get your scripted drive outta the way and come away with 7. We need to play ahead this game. No need to let them drive the field and deflate the crowd in the first 7 minutes of the game.
Oh my, was are you guys under estimating our defense? I would be interested to see how many times our defense gave up points on the first possession.
Old 01-06-2012   #16
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 11563 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Has he? I thought we deferred a few times this season...
No, he hasn't deferred yet this season when we've won the toss. I do recall him doing it once last season, or maybe it was the season before?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #17
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 53145 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Oh my, was are you guys under estimating our defense? I would be interested to see how many times our defense gave up points on the first possession.
Andre's back. look at the first play of the game when we played cincy. naked boot 50 yard bomb to Jacoby that he let just fall right through his hands. We'll score quick and decisively, getting our defense on the field after 4-5 minutes.

Do you really want to let them play with a lead and run benson on us all day? Deflate them a bit. I wouldn't care either way though, just know that we've succeeded all year long when playing in front. that's what our team is designed for.
Old 01-06-2012   #18
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Andre's back. look at the first play of the game when we played cincy. naked boot 50 yard bomb to Jacoby that he let just fall right through his hands. We'll score quick and decisively, getting our defense on the field after 4-5 minutes.

Do you really want to let them play with a lead and run benson on us all day? Deflate them a bit. I wouldn't care either way though, just know that we've succeeded all year long when playing in front. that's what our team is designed for.
I just went back into every game and we have given up points on our opponents FIRST drive only TWICE this season.....

can anyone guess which TWO games we allowed first possession points, (hint both were TDS)
Old 01-06-2012   #19
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak has said that he will take the ball 100% of the time if he wins the coin toss.
He believes that you take every possession that you can, because one possession might be the difference in the game.

Doesn't matter what I would do. Kubiak will take the ball.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #20
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak will receive, but here's why I would always defer when winning the coin toss:

Getting the ball first in a half gives you the chance to get 1 more possession opportunity in that half than the other team if things go right. Worst case scenario is that you'll have an equal # of possession opportunities. I'd rather have the potential extra possession after the halftime, when I was able to make some adjustments instead of giving that opportunity to the opponent.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read