Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-05-2012   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak or Marvin Lewis, you make the call

Quote:
The 2011 NFL playoffs open on Saturday with the Cincinnati Bengals facing the Houston Texans at Reliant Stadium.

It's the Texans first trip to the playoffs and Houston's first since the 1993 season.

The Bengals have been to the playoffs in two of their past three seasons, but they've been to the playoffs only one other time since 1990 and haven't won a playoff game since then.

Interestingly enough, Cincinnati's last playoff win was over Houston in the 1990 playoffs when Sam Wyche's Bengals blew up Jack Pardee's Oilers 41-14 in the wild card round.

This game features two coaches with very similar records. So similar, in fact, that I thought we'd play a little guessing game.

It's easy. I'll give you a question and you answer Marv or Gary.

Ready? Let's begin:

Ready? Let's begin:

He began his head coaching career at the age of 45.
He coached his team to the playoffs only one time in his first six seasons as a head coach.
He has a sub-.500 career win-loss record as an NFL head coach
His team won its division only once in the first six seasons in his head coaching career
He was a coordinator for two different teams before becoming a head coach
When asked what his message to his team was this week he said “You have to do the same thing (as you do every week), you have to focus in on your job and go compete. We have to win each battle."
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...-make-the-call
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak or Marvin Lewis, you make the call

Marvin Lewis? I do not remember Gary saying "win each battle"
Old 01-05-2012   #4
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
This should give it away without clicking on the link.
Not the obvious answer for texans fans

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #5
SmoochyTX
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 2158 SmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respectedSmoochyTX is a quality contributor and well respected

That's actually pretty crazy Wolf.

I do love this one quote in that link - "Leave it to some Houston fans to celebrate their first playoff week by calling radio shows this morning and saying Kubiak needs to be fired after getting the Texans to the playoffs with a 3rd string quarterback and a bunch of backups and without many of their star players."

While I've gone back and forth about Kubiak myself between seasons (heck, sometimes between quarters in the game), when I hear those people call in saying Kubiak should be fired if he doesn't advance in the playoffs I just think they're crazy.
SmoochyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I had to go to #5 to be sure. Kubes has only OC'd for Denver. He was a QB coach in SF.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #7
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by santo View Post
This should give it away without clicking on the link.
Incorrect, This is Garys 6th year as HC and Lewis only went once in his first 6 years as HC.....the only two that are incorrect are 5 and 6

He only coached OC in Denver and he did not say you "win each battle"
Old 01-05-2012   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak is sub .500 ?

I thought he had passed that this season...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #9
Austrian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2061 Austrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respectedAustrian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Kubiak is sub .500 ?

I thought he had passed that this season...
He did. Then we lost 3 straight.
Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #10
kingh99

The playoffs is where guys make a name for themselves. Being reminded of how the old Bungles blew up the Oilers tells me the same story as you see in most playoff games. Game management never works in the playoffs. Aggressive play calling and big plays win.
Old 01-05-2012   #11
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Aj does some of the BEST research for articles than anyone out there! He just writes great stuff!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #12
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 2051 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

Doesn't matter they are the same person...
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

While this is great fodder, I say this: The TEXANS win. Book it!!

AJ will single handedly win this game, save poverty and achieve World Peace!!!

Just sayin'!!!
Old 01-05-2012   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoochyTX View Post
That's actually pretty crazy Wolf.

I do love this one quote in that link - "Leave it to some Houston fans to celebrate their first playoff week by calling radio shows this morning and saying Kubiak needs to be fired after getting the Texans to the playoffs with a 3rd string quarterback and a bunch of backups and without many of their star players."

While I've gone back and forth about Kubiak myself between seasons (heck, sometimes between quarters in the game), when I hear those people call in saying Kubiak should be fired if he doesn't advance in the playoffs I just think they're crazy.
His team fell apart against Carolina, then lost to 1 win Indy then lost to Tennessee. Not so upset about the Ls but how we got each. We never should have lost to Oakland either. Gary should get his last contract year but without extension. Let's see how he does with a healthy roster and one year under Wade behind them.
Old 01-05-2012   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
While this is great fodder, I say this: The TEXANS win. Book it!!

AJ will single handedly win this game, save poverty and achieve World Peace!!!

Just sayin'!!!
but can he beat Obama?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read