Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2012   #1
kingh99

Default What if league dictates open roof - roof closed

For some reason the rest of the country likes to push us around. I recall Bud "Undertaker" Selig telling Drayton McWhataburger he will open the roof at MinuteMaid during the World Series. Remember that dreck? Never gave a care about how we ran our games until our team went national. Unbelievable.

Maybe by posting this pre-emptively, it will expose any such nonsense before it has a chance to happen with our NFL team. Bad things happen too often when Houston goes on the national radar.
Old 01-03-2012   #2
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What if league dictates open roof

From the HT.com site...
Quote:
Houston Texans Roof Policy (50/80 rule):
We will consider opening the roof at Reliant Stadium when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees. Our goal for implementing the “50-80 Rule” is to provide the most comfortable environment possible to enjoy Houston Texans games. Please note that the threat of rain will influence this decision, and when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed. Also, our parameters for late afternoon and evening games may shift slightly because of the absence of direct sunlight. However, we plan to use the general parameters established with your input to make the roof position decision for each game.

Our research clearly demonstrated that we cannot please everyone, every time with our roof position decision. However, we are hopeful that this note helps to point out that our approach is thoughtful, deliberate and focused on creating the best environment possible for the majority of our fans to enjoy games at Reliant Stadium
Being that it's an afternoon start and the finish will be after dark, thus colder, I'm thinking they'll keep the roof closed. Plus the NFL loves it when the fans are raising holy hell.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99 View Post
For some reason the rest of the country likes to push us around. I recall Bud "Undertaker" Selig telling Drayton McWhataburger he will open the roof at MinuteMaid during the World Series. Remember that dreck? Never gave a care about how we ran our games until our team went national. Unbelievable.

Maybe by posting this pre-emptively, it will expose any such nonsense before it has a chance to happen with our NFL team. Bad things happen too often when Houston goes on the national radar.
Yeah, as soon as the league tells the Colts to push stop on their crowd noise cassette tape, then they can tell us to open the roof.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #4
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

The weather should be pretty nice, and if it is I hope that the roof is open. I don't believe that crowd should be such a huge advantage or disadvantage to any team.

I want to see two football teams pitted against each other and have their skill determine the winner, not the fans.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #5
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
The weather should be pretty nice, and if it is I hope that the roof is open. I don't believe that crowd should be such a huge advantage or disadvantage to any team.

I want to see two football teams pitted against each other and have their skill determine the winner, not the fans.
in this case for playoff games I disagree. Them boys earned the home field advantage and should get to take full advantage of it
Old 01-03-2012   #6
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

???? WHAT! With that mindset, let's just throw out seeding/regular season records and play every game on a neutral field.

You play for home games in the postseason, it makes no absolutely no sense to diminish your home field advantage.
Old 01-03-2012   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I've heard rumors that there's some type of roof malfunction and it won't open completely.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2012   #8
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80tothezone View Post
in this case for playoff games I disagree. Them boys earned the home field advantage and should get to take full advantage of it
Homefield advantage should entail the ability to play in front of your fan base and not have to travel. It shouldn't go so far as preventing the other team from fully functioning. Of course others will disagree, but if we attempt to close the roof in great weather simply to create a severe disadvantage to the opponent then I hope the NFL does intervene.

A roof should be an option employed to avoid having both teams play in exceptionally poor weather conditions, not as a weapon that the home team elects to employ to further amplify fan noise against an opponent.
Old 01-03-2012   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Where's the sarcasm smiley?
Old 01-03-2012   #10
TheEastwood
Veteran

Rep Power: 935 TheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respectedTheEastwood is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Homefield advantage should entail the ability to play in front of your fan base and not have to travel. It shouldn't go so far as preventing the other team from fully functioning. Of course others will disagree, but if we attempt to close the roof in great weather simply to create a severe disadvantage to the opponent then I hope the NFL does intervene.

A roof should be an option employed to avoid having both teams play in exceptionally poor weather conditions, not as a weapon that the home team elects to employ to further amplify fan noise against an opponent.
Whaaaaa? Home field advantage IS the fans. That's why teams want to play at home. So that the crowd can disrupt the other teams offense and their snap count. It has a huge impact. Do you remember how much it rattled the falcons and matt ryan? They had a ton of false start and delay of game penalties because of that. Texans don't win that game on the road imo. That is homefield advantage. Its part of football and always has been.
TheEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Hmmmm

Wrong!!!!!!
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #12
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 26824 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Meh.

You use the weapons you have available. If that means keeping the roof closed to make it louder than so be it. It's the same way that teams give the visitors the dumpy or smaller locker room. I can't think of the team but I know there's a college team that has the visitor locker room painted pink because of some psychological jibber-jabber.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Old 01-03-2012   #13
BullBlitz
Section 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_ROK View Post
Meh.

You use the weapons you have available. If that means keeping the roof closed to make it louder than so be it. It's the same way that teams give the visitors the dumpy or smaller locker room. I can't think of the team but I know there's a college team that has the visitor locker room painted pink because of some psychological jibber-jabber.

Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing.
Yes. The question initially posed was whether or not the NFL would proactively intervene. I doubt that they will, but I would be fine if they do.
Old 01-03-2012   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Home field advantage should entail the ability to play in front of your fan base and not have to travel. It shouldn't go so far as preventing the other team from fully functioning. Of course others will disagree, but if we attempt to close the roof in great weather simply to create a severe disadvantage to the opponent then I hope the NFL does intervene.

You are completely off your rocker here... What's next... Green Bay needs to build a roof to hold out the snow and build heaters inside the turf to unfreeze the tundra? How about Seattle just redesigns the stadium where it doesn't capitalize on crowd noise.. Your take is one of the most ridiculous one's I've ever seen posted. Your basically asking for the regular season to just be pointless. Maybe we should skip over the regular season and start with a 32 team playoff bracket? Because you're basically asking for the regular season to be pointless.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-03-2012   #15
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

With the roof closed at Reliant, the Texans are 16-23 all-time and 14-13 under Kubiak.
With the roof open at Reliant, the Texans are 23-18 all-time and 15-6 under Kubiak.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #16
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:

Well wait a minute...
getting to sleep in your own bed (or home town) and NOT having to travel cross country IS a advantage - see the Ravens' road record.
Making warm weather teams have to play in cold weather (GB, Pittsburgh, NE, etc.) IS an advantage for the cold weather teams - by the way, that will be us if we win Sat. and have to travel to Baltimore.
Having west coast teams fly three hours east and play away games at would normally, for them, be 10 am, is an advantage to the home team

If the opposing team scores early and often, they can quiet the fans and take them out of the equation. If they prepare sufficiently and have silent snap counts and hand signals or whatever, they can reduce the effect of crowd noise.

A well prepared team won't let crowd noise get to them.

Edit: You were right about one thing: Others WILL disagree.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 01-04-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2012   #17
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
With the roof closed at Reliant, the Texans are 16-23 all-time and 14-13 under Kubiak.
With the roof open at Reliant, the Texans are 23-18 all-time and 15-6 under Kubiak.
All of those stats are null and void...the playoffs are a completely different atmosphere.. How many home games were games just to finish out a stretch? It's a proven fact that crowd noise effects games...it's a proven fact that with the roof closed the noise will be louder than it will when it's open. This is the first playoff game in about 20 years. (This will be the loudest this stadium has ever been so far) There is no stat that's going to prove that Houston will gain a advantage with the roof open in this game. What you're doing is just paralysis by analsis...it makes absolutely NO SENSE for Houston to open their roof for a team that plays outside...it's completely rediculous to even suggest.

This roof will be closed.
Old 01-03-2012   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
All of those stats are null and void...the playoffs are a completely different atmosphere.. How many home games were games just to finish out a stretch? It's a proven fact that crowd noise effects games...it's a proven fact that with the roof closed the noise will be louder than it will when it's open. This is the first playoff game in about 20 years. There is no stat that's going to prove that Houston will gain a advantage with the roof open in this game. What you're doing is just paralysis by analsis...it makes absolutely NO SENSE for Houston to open their roof for a team that plays outside...it's completely rediculous to even suggest.

This roof will be closed.
First of all, I didn't say the stats meant a damn thing. What has happened in the past is in the past and has nothing to do with the game Saturday or any other game that will ever be played there. But that is what the stats are.

Secondly, just because you say it's a proven fact doesn't make it so. If you think a freaking roof being open or not is major player in whether the Texans can win a game or not, then you don't think much of the Texans and their FOOTBALL playing ability.

The way Reliant is designed, it can get just as loud with the roof open. I know, because I've been to every single game they've ever played there. A game against the Titans in '03 with the top popped when the Titans were driving with 17 seconds left down by 4, rivaled the loudest it's ever been in that stadium. It can get loud, roof or no roof.

I believe Seattle is regarded as one of the loudest venues in the NFL. Seems their yard is a whole lot more open than Reliant even if the roof is open.

Saturday is going to be the loudest it's ever been. I have no doubt about that. And it will be that way whether the roof is open or closed. I can guarantee that.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston Texans Roof Policy (50/80 rule):
Last week's game versus the Titan's qualified for an open roof under the 50/80 policy. 70° and zero % chance of rain. And the roof remained closed.

We'll have a closed roof on Staurday.
Old 01-03-2012   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
First of all, I didn't say the stats meant a damn thing. What has happened in the past is in the past and has nothing to do with the game Saturday or any other game that will ever be played there. But that is what the stats are.

Secondly, just because you say it's a proven fact doesn't make it so. If you think a freaking roof being open or not is major player in whether the Texans can win a game or not, then you don't think much of the Texans and their FOOTBALL playing ability.

The way Reliant is designed, it can get just as loud with the roof open. I know, because I've been to every single game they've ever played there. A game against the Titans in '03 with the top popped when the Titans were driving with 17 seconds left down by 4, rivaled the loudest it's ever been in that stadium. It can get loud, roof or no roof.

I believe Seattle is regarded as one of the loudest venues in the NFL. Seems their yard is a whole lot more open than Reliant even if the roof is open.

Saturday is going to be the loudest it's ever been. I have no doubt about that. And it will be that way whether the roof is open or closed. I can guarantee that.
Slow your roll...I was attacking your stats not you...and yes, the stats were pointless.

Having said that... I've ALSO BEEN TO THE STADIUM DURING A MAJORITY OF THE GAMES...and what I think about the roof being "open or closed" doesn't have anything with what I think about the Texans "FOOTBALL playing ability" .. It has to do with "home field advantage". Last I checked that's the topic at hand. (not the Texans playing ability)

A closed stadium is LOUDER than a open one..it's called science, it's a proven fact. It's also a proven fact that crowd noise effects visiting teams..so when you can dispute those facts then we can continue debating whatever point you were trying to make.

P.S.

go pull up my comment about Seattle's stadium from above. Their stadium was designed to amplify noise...even with a open stadium. Ours wasn't. Ours traps noise, but it wasn't specifically designed to amplify it like their's was. Hell I even mentioned their stadium when I was talking about stadiums with a home field advantage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
You are completely off your rocker here... What's next... Green Bay needs to build a roof to hold out the snow and build heaters inside the turf to unfreeze the tundra? How about Seattle just redesigns the stadium where it doesn't capitalize on crowd noise.. Your take is one of the most ridiculous one's I've ever seen posted. Your basically asking for the regular season to just be pointless. Maybe we should skip over the regular season and start with a 32 team playoff bracket? Because you're basically asking for the regular season to be pointless.

..that's not our stadium with a open roof.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-04-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read