Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-03-2012   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default New England Patriots - Not one win over a better than .500 team

Someone told me this today and I'll be damned if it isn't true. They didn't beat a single team this year that finished over .500

Paper tiger? May just be.
Old 01-03-2012   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New England Patriots - Not one win over a better than .500 team

That's pretty crazy. Hard to discount them though because they are the Pats but their D has been very suspect all year. It's amazing that they played 13 teams who weren't at least 9-7.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #3
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5747 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting indeed
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #4
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Pete Rozelle is smiling somewhere. He loved him some 8-8's
Old 01-03-2012   #5
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

if and that is one MAJOR if we get by the Ravens, we can take these guys.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, but when you go 26-6 in the last two seasons combined up to this point, it's kind of hard to take that into to much consideration.

The thing that worries me about the Patriots is their consistency in starting out really slow in games especially defensively. The Patriots need to start having much better first quarters and starting out games better.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #7
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Vs. Cincy (if they get by us, of course), I think they'd be OK down early. Same goes for vs. Denver.

But HOU, PIT, BAL...you pull that 21-0 bullshit and you'll be dead. Teams like that don't blow 3 score leads.
Old 01-03-2012   #8
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Someone told me this today and I'll be damned if it isn't true. They didn't beat a single team this year that finished over .500

Paper tiger? May just be.
Fascinating. I see it as they did what they were supposed to do; beat up mediocre teams.

I find it even more interesting that one can only end up with two teams out of the 13 on your schedule that have winning records
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

But wait, I thought good coaches regularly win against winning teams on the road.
Old 01-03-2012   #10
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, but with their history it doesn't mean anything. what's more is that if someone is going to beat them, they're going to have to go into foxboro to do it &:

#1 & although brady's last couple of forays there in the playoffs haven't been great, He still doesn't lose very often there....period.

#2 the crowd will be amped & as poor as their defense has been, they'll feed off of that & likely be playing over their heads a little.

#3 After slow starts, the defense has usually stiffened late in the games when they've had to.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
yeah, but with their history it doesn't mean anything. what's more is that if someone is going to beat them, they're going to have to go into foxboro to do it &:

#1 & although brady's last couple of forays there in the playoffs haven't been great, He still doesn't lose very often there....period.

#2 the crowd will be amped & as poor as their defense has been, they'll feed off of that & likely be playing over their heads a little.

#3 After slow starts, the defense has usually stiffened late in the games when they've had to.
Exactly, and like I said when you look at last season and this season combined, they've got a record of 26-6. That's from only two losses last season in which they smacked the Steelers and the Jets in that regular season and barely lost to the Jets in the playoffs giving them 3 losses last season out of 17 games. This season they lose one more game going 13-3. I think they've gone beyond proving that they're an elite team that can beat top teams. It's an interesting stat on the forefront, but like you say when it's the Patriots and Tom Brady who have an entire decade of history where they have beaten top teams, this stat doesn't mean much.
Old 01-03-2012   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Exactly, and like I said when you look at last season and this season combined, they've got a record of 26-6. That's from only two losses last season in which they smacked the Steelers and the Jets in that regular season and barely lost to the Jets in the playoffs giving them 3 losses last season out of 17 games. This season they lose one more game going 13-3. I think they've gone beyond proving that they're an elite team that can beat top teams. It's an interesting stat on the forefront, but like you say when it's the Patriots and Tom Brady who have an entire decade of history where they have beaten top teams, this stat doesn't mean much.

I agree. I just find it interesting that their season went down like that. I would have thought in 16 games you would have to run into at least one opponent who finished better than .500 (and beat them) but I guess I would have thought wrong.

Last edited by Hervoyel; 01-03-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Hervoyel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #13
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I agree. I just find it interesting that their season went down like that. I would have thought in 16 games you would have to run into at least one opponent who finished better than .500 but I guess I would have thought wrong.
Yeah, that's some strange luck right there. I definitely wouldn't have realized it unless I heard it being mentioned on ESPN. I think the Steelers have the best chance going into the playoffs this year if Ben is standing tall, but if Ben's ankle keeps hurting him, I think Brady can do enough this year to take the AFC since they'll have both games at home at Foxborough.
Old 01-03-2012   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

All starts a new in the playoffs.
Old 01-03-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

They beat a whole lot of 8-8 teams - Jets x2, Raiders, Cowboys, Denver, Philly, San Diego. The two teams they played with winning records were the Giants and Steelers. It's kind of hard to improve that stat if your opponents aren't very good.

In contrast, the Texans were 4-3 against teams over .500 - Wins Pitt, Cincy, Titans, Falcons - Loss Saints, Ravens, Titans
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
They beat a whole lot of 8-8 teams - Jets x2, Raiders, Cowboys, Denver, Philly, San Diego. The two teams they played with winning records were the Giants and Steelers. It's kind of hard to improve that stat if your opponents aren't very good.

In contrast, the Texans were 4-3 against teams over .500 - Wins Pitt, Cincy, Titans, Falcons - Loss Saints, Ravens, Titans
Stylistically the Patriots are an awful match up for the Texans. That would be the toughest match up for the Texans in the AFC in my eyes with our offense looking the way it is. You've got to keep Tom Brady off the field to beat the Patriots.
Old 01-03-2012   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Stylistically the Patriots are an awful match up for the Texans. That would be the toughest match up for the Texans in the AFC in my eyes with our offense looking the way it is. You've got to keep Tom Brady off the field to beat the Patriots.
I agree it would be a total nightmare just trying to cover those 2 TE's. none of our LB's including cushing could cover either 1 of them & unless we're getting to Brady that'd be easy pickings. Welker, would be abusing McCain/Jackson at will & our offense just couldn't keep up with them.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
I agree it would be a total nightmare just trying to cover those 2 TE's. none of our LB's including cushing could cover either 1 of them & unless we're getting to Brady that'd be easy pickings. Welker, would be abusing McCain/Jackson at will & our offense just couldn't keep up with them.
That's exactly how I see it. The current Texans just aren't built well to compete with how the Patriots play right now. Tom Brady would put up points on us, and I don't see the Texans staying on the field long when the Patriots would know that we're needing to throw the ball and can game plan for it with the advantage of having to stop Yates or Delhomme.
Old 01-04-2012   #19
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's exactly how I see it. The current Texans just aren't built well to compete with how the Patriots play right now. Tom Brady would put up points on us, and I don't see the Texans staying on the field long when the Patriots would know that we're needing to throw the ball and can game plan for it with the advantage of having to stop Yates or Delhomme.
I think Wade will send the kitchen sink at Brady. He can be vunerable to heavy pressure. If we jam those WRs and TEs at the line while sending Cushing and/or DeMeco on blitzes, we can disrupt that offense. There's a reason their losses came at the hands of teams with good pass rushes.

On offense, I wonder if the Pats can deal with our running attack. If they can't (and I know that may be a big IF), we can keep Brady on the sidelines with steady doses of Foster & Tate - and thereby resting our defense - we can stay with them. That's how we beat Manning. That's how we can possibly beat Brady.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012   #20
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
if and that is one MAJOR if we get by the Ravens, we can take these guys.

"Hold on now. Let's not start sucking each other's (bleep)s just yet."

Winston Wolf

They have to beat Cincinati FIRST.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read