Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2012   #1
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bill Polian fired!

Breaking news, just heard on Sirius XM NFL Radio.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bill Polian fired!

So, who is Polian?
Old 01-02-2012   #3
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88462
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
So, who is Polian?
GM of the Colts.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #5
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 172517 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cool. That's why I didn't know.
Old 01-02-2012   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55069 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not April 1 is it ? If true, this is surprising !
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe pay-me-a-ton can move into the OC/GM slot
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2012   #8
Heath Shuler
worst 2 1st

Section: 521
Rep Power: 74770 Heath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respectedHeath Shuler is a quality contributor and well respected

huge news. 23 months ago in superbowl. wow.

The Highwaymen
Heath Shuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Irsay is still yakking about it on NFLN.
No word yet on whether Caldwell goes or stays. Said he'd hire a GM before making a decision on the coaching staff...

Wonder if Major Forehead still wants to come back to the Colts...

Actually, it may not be up to him. Isn't there a clause that gives the Colts a week to back out of his contract? The new braintrust may decide that they'll take their chances with Luck and sweep him out with everyone else associated with Polian.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
No word yet on whether Caldwell goes or stays. Said he'd hire a GM before making a decision on the coaching staff...

Actually, it may not be up to him. Isn't there a clause that gives the Colts a week to back out of his contract? The new braintrust may decide that they'll take their chances with Luck and sweep him out with everyone else associated with Polian.
My first thought: What GM would want to be saddled with Caldwell? I wouldn't.

Colts are in a pickle. This is their own Brett Favre-Green Bay Packers moment, IMO.

Do they hold onto Manning or do they end the marriage and get a new QB in Andrew Luck? Do they shock everyone and go with RGIII...totally re-working their offense style and the way they play ball????

I think Luck is good, but I don't see him necessarily being AS good as Manning was. Manning was something special altogether, folks. An epic QB who will enter the HOF easily on the first ballot. Do we think this of Luck? I don't.

I would go with RGIII. Big, mobile, smart, and a marketing department's dream. I think he fits the personnel they've got on offense. The offensive line is not great anymore, but it's still good enough to pass off as decent. They have a knack for finding good receivers in one form or another, whether it's "tweener" WR/HB-type guys like Collie, bigger WRs like Wayne and Garcon, Dallas Clark, etc. They could give RGIII a lot of weapons.

With Luck at QB, you're getting more of a pocket passer and I don't know if the o-line will age with him as well. RGIII can get out of trouble and bail his o-line out a lot more than Luck can. Not saying Luck ISN'T mobile, just obviously more of a pocket passer by nature.
Old 01-02-2012   #11
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My first thought: What GM would want to be saddled with Caldwell? I wouldn't.

Colts are in a pickle. This is their own Brett Favre-Green Bay Packers moment, IMO.

Do they hold onto Manning or do they end the marriage and get a new QB in Andrew Luck? Do they shock everyone and go with RGIII...totally re-working their offense style and the way they play ball????

I think Luck is good, but I don't see him necessarily being AS good as Manning was. Manning was something special altogether, folks. An epic QB who will enter the HOF easily on the first ballot. Do we think this of Luck? I don't.

I would go with RGIII. Big, mobile, smart, and a marketing department's dream. I think he fits the personnel they've got on offense. The offensive line is not great anymore, but it's still good enough to pass off as decent. They have a knack for finding good receivers in one form or another, whether it's "tweener" WR/HB-type guys like Collie, bigger WRs like Wayne and Garcon, Dallas Clark, etc. They could give RGIII a lot of weapons.

With Luck at QB, you're getting more of a pocket passer and I don't know if the o-line will age with him as well. RGIII can get out of trouble and bail his o-line out a lot more than Luck can. Not saying Luck ISN'T mobile, just obviously more of a pocket passer by nature.
It's worse. The Pack had a year or two to get Rodgers up to speed and determine his readiness. Unless Orlovsky is the future - and we all know he isn't - then Indy is sort of stepping into the unknown compared to where the Packers were when they showed Favre the door.

Yeah, Luck and RG3 look promising; VERY promising... But neither of them have played NFL ball. There will be a speed adjustment to be sure. And there will be growing pains.
I love it

And worse, they have no clue who the offensive braintrust will be; let alone can either of those two guys work in whatever that turns out to be.

Could be total disarray.
I'm sorry but I love it...

....okay, I'm not sorry
Old 01-02-2012   #12
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

The talking heads on the NFL channel said that the Colts had to pay him a $23MM bonus in March if he's still on the team.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #13
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
The talking heads on the NFL channel said that the Colts had to pay him a $23MM bonus in March if he's still on the team.
That's true. But they also have a clause that gives them a week - and I cannot find a link that says when exactly that week is - to make that call.

I just wonder if the newguys - who likely won't have any ties to Manning - will want to be saddled with that big a hit to their salary cap? Especially looking at all the other aging stars they need to replace or re-sign...
Old 01-02-2012   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn. Polian was a terrible GM that got bailed out every year by Manning's play. Now the Colts may hire someone competent.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #15
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Damn. Polian was a terrible GM that got bailed out every year by Manning's play. Now the Colts may hire someone competent.
Polian was a tremendous GM both in his early tenure with the Colts, and before he ever got there. I think he just got lazy, complacent, bored, or some combination of all three. But no doubt that the last four or five years with the Bills have been bad.
Old 01-02-2012   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37218 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Hmmmm terrible huh? With the Bills he signed Jim Kelly from the USFL. Drafted the following players: Cornelius Bennet, Thurman Thomas, Nate Odomes. They went to four straight super bowls with these core players.

Colts era: Peyton Manning, Edgerin James, Reggie Wayne, Dwight Freeny, Robert Mathis, Bob Sanders.

And the Peyton Manning pick was not an easy decision. Many people thought that they should have drafted Ryan Leaf over Manning. It wasn't a slam dunk.

I wish the Texans had a GM this terrible.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012   #17
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

All but certain this firing was due to Peyton Manning. Irsay and Manning are as close to a father-son pair as Peyton and Archie. Polian has reportedly stated on a local Indianapolis radio show sometime ago that he wasn't as optimistic about Peyton's recovery as many others were. Manning had to come out and refute some of those statements, so apparently Polian's candidness caused a bit of a behind-the-scenes uproar.

Now this is me speculating here, but I'm going to guess Polian and Irsay met Sunday night to discuss plans on what to do now that they had the number one pick. Polian said Colts take Luck and have them both, or if Manning is going to be upset by that idea, then it is time to cut Manning loose. Irsay said "Sorry bub, but I think Peyton's got at least three more good years in him. See ya."

I can understand the argument that the Colts need to look to the long-term future and draft Luck. Problem is drafting Luck does not guarantee a successful long term future. A bust with this kind of pick at the quarterback position can easily set your franchise back three, four, even five years. Life is short, and you only have a shot at so many superbowls. Let's all be real here too: the first step towards winning a superbowl each year is just getting into the playoffs. Once you're in, you just to win four, or even as little as three, to be world champions. Tons of teams enter the wildcard role with a 10-6 record to win the whole thing. The Cardinals just a few years ago should come to mind (if you allow it to).

The point is that the AFC South can be won with a 10-6 record, and the Colts with Manning are a 10-win team. Reggie Wayne is getting old, so what about Blackman? A wide-out of that caliber with a quarterback like Manning would be extremely dangerous. I'm not much of a college football fan, so I won't continue to play armchair GM since I don't know much about many other players.

It should also be brought to attention that perhaps Manning and Irsay have already discussed Peyton's successor. The guy is a first ballot HOF quarterback and has one of the highest IQ's in the game. If I were an owner of a football team and he came up to me and said, "Listen, I know everyone is clamoring for Luck, but there's this guy out there who can be had in the second round, or we could even trade back up into the late first round, who I think is the real deal." You best believe I'll listen.

-Credit to False Start for this signature-
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read