Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 05-01-2005   #1
YodAa
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to YodAa
Default Undrafted Heisman Winner?

How does a guy who wins the Heisman Trophy not get drafted? I don't watch college football at all and I don't even know the names of the draftees until all the mocks start popping up but last time I checked the Heisman was like the trophy for the college MVP or something. So why didn't Jason White get drafted?
Old 05-01-2005   #2
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

The Heisman is more of a curse than it is a blessing. Look at it, Crouch, White, Weinke, Dayne, Wuerfel, Salaam, Detmer...OJ!!!! It's usually better to NOT win it lol.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
How does a guy who wins the Heisman Trophy not get drafted?
Because it is no longer the best college player award--it is now the best QB, RB or maybe WR on a top 3 team award. It's completely stupid--teams don't go undefeated because of one player, but a team can go 4-12 and have a superstar on it. The way things stand now, a guy not worthy of even playing in the NFL who is blessed with a great team will win, while a guy who is the lone force on his team and who may go to the pro-bowl in his 1st season won't even be considered. Plus, the positional discrimination is just stupid.
Old 05-01-2005   #4
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

exactly...plus take one look at the injury list on white and you'll see why he didn't get drafted...he was blessed to be on a team with a loaded roster
Old 05-01-2005   #5
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Andre Ware comes to mind. Even though he did get drafted by Detroit, he was destined to be a sportscaster. He just got there sooner, rather than later.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #6
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Rep Power: 0 TexansNeedRBin05 has been demoted to the practice squad
Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
The Heisman is more of a curse than it is a blessing. Look at it, Crouch, White, Weinke, Dayne, Wuerfel, Salaam, Detmer...OJ!!!! It's usually better to NOT win it lol.
Just so you know despite everything about OJ HE WAS A GREAT GREAT PLAYER! and look at other Heisman Winners. Eddie George Carson Palmer and Tim Brown come to mind. I think thats bogus everyone wants to win the Heisman there is no curse. Just means if you win it you might not be all that.
TexansNeedRBin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Besides the fact that White had two huge knee injuries, he doesn't have the arm strenght that most NFL starting QBs have.
Old 05-01-2005   #8
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
Besides the fact that White had two huge knee injuries, he doesn't have the arm strenght that most NFL starting QBs have.
BINGO!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!
He has a really weak arm, thats the main reason nobody wanted him. I think he did sign with a team tho... prob gonna be on the practice squad lol. I believe it was KC, but not sure.
Old 05-01-2005   #9
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to TexansNeedRBin05 Send a message via MSN to TexansNeedRBin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Yeah, OJ "slashed" to the right... then "slashed" to the left..... F'n "gashed" the Defense.

:woot
Dude seriously hes not a good guy BUT HE WAS A GREAT BACK GET OVER IT!
Old 05-01-2005   #10
TexansNeedRBin05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis37
BINGO!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!
He has a really weak arm, thats the main reason nobody wanted him. I think he did sign with a team tho... prob gonna be on the practice squad lol. I believe it was KC, but not sure.
Ya it was KC I feel sorry for White coulda been good but hopfully he will make the best of it. Who knows with the crappy backup QB's in KC he might win the #2 job and then Green go down!
Old 05-01-2005   #11
Rosusu
All Pro

Larry Ftz should of won the Heisman over White anyways. He played for Pitt and put up incredible numbers, imagine if he was on a team with a superb quarterback.
Old 05-01-2005   #12
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodAa
How does a guy who wins the Heisman Trophy not get drafted? I don't watch college football at all and I don't even know the names of the draftees until all the mocks start popping up but last time I checked the Heisman was like the trophy for the college MVP or something. So why didn't Jason White get drafted?
Put it this way, I see you post on the Rockets threads all the time so this will help you understand alittle better. The PG Charlie Ward for the Rockets, he won the Heisman. It has to do with how good the player but now alot to do with the team too.
Old 05-01-2005   #13
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
The PG Charlie Ward for the Rockets, he won the Heisman.
LOL! Wow, aint that some ****?! I never knew that...
Old 05-01-2005   #14
Panther5407
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBlackBear32
LOL! Wow, aint that some ****?! I never knew that...
Yup, he won it as a QB at Florida State. They talked about it when a rockets game was going on and they asked him who was his favorite.
Old 05-01-2005   #15
ojthecat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther5407
Put it this way, I see you post on the Rockets threads all the time so this will help you understand alittle better. The PG Charlie Ward for the Rockets, he won the Heisman. It has to do with how good the player but now alot to do with the team too.
Charlie Ward would have easily been a top 5 pick maybe number 1 execpt that he was adament that he was not going to play football so no one drafted him.
Old 05-02-2005   #16
Rosusu
All Pro

He just got the boot from Kansas City

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Former Heisman Trophy winner Jason White wasn't offered a contract by the Kansas City Chiefs following a three-day rookie camp.

White, who went undrafted out of Oklahoma, got the news Sunday from coach Dick Vermeil. White was competing with seventh-round pick James Kilian of Tulsa for a possible spot with the Chiefs, who already have three veteran quarterbacks on the roster.

"What I recommended him to do, if he really wants to play in the NFL, is to go to the Arena League, sharpen his skills and compete," Vermeil said. "I think he's aware of where he is and what he needs to do."

White threw for 8,012 yards and 81 touchdowns at Oklahoma, winning the 2003 Heisman and taking the Sooners to consecutive national championship games in 2003 and '04.

However, many scouts felt his arm was not strong enough for the NFL. He also has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

Link
Old 05-02-2005   #17
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

The guy was injury prone and had a weak arm. He needs to go to the CFL or AFL and show us what he has got. I wish him well. He humbled my Longhorns enough. Maybe he can do the same to the NFL later.

The Heisman has been a bad indicator of talent when given to a QB. Many of the RB's have done well. There was someone at Notre Dame, I believe it was Paul Hornug, that won it with a losing record. Those days are past. I think it ought to go to the best player, not the best skill position player on a contending team.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #18
Texas_Thrill
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Texas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTexas_Thrill is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Nobody on here personally knows OJ so let's just judge the football not the person. He was one of the best backs to ever play regardless of what you ASSUME about him personally.
Texas_Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005   #19
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
Nobody on here personally knows OJ so let's just judge the football not the person. He was one of the best backs to ever play regardless of what you ASSUME about him personally.
Don't worry, we all know he didn't do it. He's searching all the golf courses in America for the real suspects.
Old 05-04-2005   #20
BattleRedRaider
All Pro

Rep Power: 19 BattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame BallotBattleRedRaider is on the Hall of Fame Ballot
Send a message via AIM to BattleRedRaider Send a message via MSN to BattleRedRaider Send a message via Yahoo to BattleRedRaider

Jason White has a weak arm, and couldn't even win the big games. Simply put.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read