Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2011   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

To me it's a no-brainer in what is now a basically a meaningless game from the Texans perspective - pull the starters early, sometime in the first half, so they are reasonable fresh for the big playoff game the next Sunday in Reliant. Plus the less they are on the field the less likely they get injured in a game which means nothing to us.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 51991 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

In our situation I disagree. We are brutal on offense and they need to get another game under their belts with yates at the helm. You play to win this game (injuries are a part of the game, you don't coach scarred). Our secondary needs to show they are back to form, basically the whole team NEEDS more game time together....
Old 12-26-2011   #3
gwallaia

Rep Power: 69621 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Win Sunday with the starters all the way if necessary. I would not want to go into the playoffs with three straight losses.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #4
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing how the Titans are still alive for a playoff spot, I say you rid yourself of them when you have a chance. Step on their throats and squash them like a bug.
Old 12-26-2011   #5
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 23300 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

They'll be playing on a short week more than likely.

Play them a half. I want TEN out too, but still.
Old 12-26-2011   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
You play to win this game (injuries are a part of the game, you don't coach scarred).
Really ? A game which will change nothing about our #3 seed for the playoffs and is about as meaningful as a preseason exhibition game ? If there was nothing to gain by holding out players, especially key players like a Cushing who is "beat-up" by his own HCs admission, I'd play them but getting them well and having them rested for the 17th game of the season is top priority.
In the long offseason nobody will be talking about what the Texans did in the last regular season game of the year because all they will be talking about what our playoff performance was. I say play this game like its the last preseason game of the year as we get ready for our season-opener, ah our playoff-opener.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #7
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm okay with either scenario (play starters the whole game or half) and I kinda lean toward letting them play but...the field is gonna suck due to the college game the day prior so the chances of loosing someone (see AJ) is higher.

The field is the X-factor in my mind...that's what I'm most nervous about.
Old 12-26-2011   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

This is preseason for the postseason. Get the starters out early. And, the Titans would be a dream opponent for the Texans initial playoff game.

Remember when Belichick got cute in '09 finale here, and Welker wiped out his knee in a meaningless game? Kubiak surely does.
Old 12-26-2011   #9
Ktexan68
Rookie

Rep Power: 49 Ktexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respectedKtexan68 is a quality contributor and well respected

We are so short handed that you won't be able to pull the starters per se. I do think resting Arian would be a good idea and conversely, I'd really like Andre to get some more time on the field with Yates.
Ktexan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #10
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Last I checked, there were 16 regular season games... so you play them. Honestly? I'd like to bench our defense and intentionally allow the Titans to score as quickly as they can, one play-90 yard TDs. Give our offense as many reps as they can possibly get.
Old 12-26-2011   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktexan68 View Post
We are so short handed that you won't be able to pull the starters per se. I do think resting Arian would be a good idea and conversely, I'd really like Andre to get some more time on the field with Yates.
No way they play Andre. And while you can't sit everyone because of roster limitations, guys like Maehl, Ward, Delhomme, Newton, Braman, Dobbins, and Harris can get plenty of snaps. And besides, it doesn't mean the the Texans can't win. Just another form of "Next man up".
Old 12-26-2011   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans stopped playing meaningful football once they clinched division. Last couple games remind me of Survivor, just managing to exist while saving resources (Andre) for when its your (Texan) turn to actually be eliminated

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #13
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Win Sunday with the starters all the way if necessary. I would not want to go into the playoffs with three straight losses.
This.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #14
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Texans stopped playing meaningful football once they clinched division. Last couple games remind me of Survivor, just managing to exist while saving resources (Andre) for when its your (Texan) turn to actually be eliminated
I think we tried to win the Carolina game until... the 2nd interception inside the 20... Kubiak has put the kid gloves on Yates since.
Old 12-26-2011   #15
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Here's the problem with that. The players know this game is meaningless in regards to the playoffs. Kubiak can't play mind games and convince them otherwise. The starters will be concerned about injury. The reserves will actually play harder, knowing this is a chance for them ti shine on tape. The Texans best chance of winning this game might be with the backups.
Old 12-26-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Be selective. Allow players like Caldwell, Tate, Ward, B/up QBs, Bryant Johnson etc get reps. Rest your Cushings, Ryans, etc.
Old 12-26-2011   #17
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't care HOW THEY FRIGGIN have to do it, just WIN on Sunday!!! If it takes playing the starters then put their butts out there and PLAY THEM!! It's flippin football, that's what they're suppose to do, PLAY the damn game to WIN!! Every game, not just pick and choose games!!

It really tickes me off to read "this is just a meaningless game" sort of crap. NO!!!!!! It is NOT a meaningless game! Playing for pride, and closing out the season with a sweep over the hated Titans IS a game with meaning!!

If Cush, and some of the other players, are so beat up, let them take turns in Cush's hyperbaric chamber, or sit their butts in a hot tub (without Matt #2) and get them mentally ready to play some football! Sorry, you play EVERY game to WIN, regardless!! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 280296 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need some moooooo--mentum.

Kubiak oughtta be breathing fire down the necks of these guys.

I'm okay with resting/protecting as needed, but I'd prep the entire team as if we're going to war.

Put a skirt on the Titans and send them home for the winter.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #19
kcdoubleeagle
Veteran

Rep Power: 475 kcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respectedkcdoubleeagle is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a NO BRAINER...You rest the team as much as possible. We are still trying to win a Superbowl and a beat up defense and offensive line are not the best way to do that...
kcdoubleeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #20
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

I say play all the starters like a regular game. No need to sit anyone one, we need to go into the playoffs with a win instead of another lose which would make it 3 in a row. Seems like after we clinched it has not gone our way. Let's beat the crap out of the Titans and go into the playoffs with confidence!!
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read