Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2012   #101
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans vs Bungles next week in Wild Card Playoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans lost 3 games in a row to end the season. On the surface, that doesn't look good. But if you look at this in context, it's not as dire as it seems. This team clinched early, in week 14. I try not to look at the Texans through homer glasses. However, when I ask myself "In what aspect are the Bengals better than the Texans?", I come up empty.

Running attack? The Bengals are OK. The Texans have one of the best in the league. Passing offense? Again, Bengals are OK with Dalton, Green, and Gresham. The Texans should be fine with Yates, AJ, and Daniels. Not to mention one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL in Arian Foster.

Defense? The Bengals are solid. The Texans defense is better. Better in points allowed, yardage yielded, turnovers forced. Better. The Bengals are a good team. Worthy of that last playoff berth.

The Texans are just better.
In general, I think that Dungy knows a lot. I saw the comments and I think that, forced to pick only one, he went with the Bengals but thinks that we are pretty evenly matched.

I think we fall short at QB vs the Bengals unless we play Jake.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #102
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans lost 3 games in a row to end the season. On the surface, that doesn't look good. But if you look at this in context, it's not as dire as it seems. This team clinched early, in week 14. I try not to look at the Texans through homer glasses. However, when I ask myself "In what aspect are the Bengals better than the Texans?", I come up empty.

Running attack? The Bengals are OK. The Texans have one of the best in the league. Passing offense? Again, Bengals are OK with Dalton, Green, and Gresham. The Texans should be fine with Yates, AJ, and Daniels. Not to mention one of the best pass catching RBs in the NFL in Arian Foster.

Defense? The Bengals are solid. The Texans defense is better. Better in points allowed, yardage yielded, turnovers forced. Better. The Bengals are a good team. Worthy of that last playoff berth.

Good post. That's a summary of the team that seems fair to all...except the guys in suits on a TV tonight. They saw 3-game losing streak and figure it's a harbinger of what's to come.

To me, this game was better-played (considering all things, of course) than maybe any of the past games TJ Yates was QB'ing for us. After that Bucs game, I don't remember us looking particular "with it." Yeah, we won vs. the Jags on the road and we won Falcons and Bengals...but objectively speaking, I think today was the first day since the Bucs game that I felt the whole team was handling their roles with efficiency and great detail.

I know that IF TJ Yates had continued playing today, as had all the regular players, this would have been a true blowout against the Titans today. He was sharp, Braman was active, Ward was beasting, Delhomme was getting into rhythm and played good for a guy who hasn't been around the game NOR our own playbook.

I think we might be flying in under the radar again, tbh.
Old 01-01-2012   #103
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It kinda pisses me off that all the talking heads are saying we were lucky in beating Cincy and keep pointing to the sack/strip of Dalton as the game sealer. No mention, whatsoever, of how lucky Cincy got when AF fumbled deep in our own territory. Now I'm pissed at myself for allowing myself to get pissed at talking head blow hards! SANTA MARIA!!!
I feel the same way and seeing what others think that the Texans came back and were mostly dominated by the Bengals or whatever.

I remember during the halftime of that game I even said that the Texans were beating themselves and once they fixed their game up, things would look much better. I feel like if we play as we should we beat this team 3x outta 5, 2x outta 3, any given sunday applies here surely. They are not a bad team but I think some folk are selling our defense short and don't realize how good the run game is.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #104
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I think we fall short at QB vs the Bengals unless we play Jake.
Dalton has 11 more games under his belt, compared to TJ. Otherwise, the stats are pretty close (QBR, YPA). Does that trump the advantages the Texans have across the board in other areas? I'm trying not to be a homer, and I don't think Dungy is being intentionally unfair. I just think the intial 3 games post-Schaub injury were more indicative of this team's capabilities than the past 3 games, post-clinching.
Old 01-01-2012   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It kinda pisses me off that all the talking heads are saying we were lucky in beating Cincy and keep pointing to the sack/strip of Dalton as the game sealer. No mention, whatsoever, of how lucky Cincy got when AF fumbled deep in our own territory. Now I'm pissed at myself for allowing myself to get pissed at talking head blow hards! SANTA MARIA!!!
Why won't they acknowledge that the Bengals LOST today? The Bengals lost and still got into the playoffs via NFL Playoff Math. Talk about being lucky!

Why won't they talk about the Bengals being WINLESS against teams this year that are in the playoffs?

Yet the Texans are the ones who are in trouble in this matchup?

You just have to giggle at it, because they're just going off the usual template of "Texans suck." That's what 9 years of STINKING will do to ya' out there in the sports media world. Template-based analysis that has no objectivity to it.

Not saying we will win 100% and it won't even be hard to do so. Just saying that we're being picked as an underdog at home vs. a team who lucked their way into the playoffs and hasn't beaten a playoff-caliber team in 2011.

That's some bulletin board material for the kids on Kirby.
Old 01-01-2012   #106
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Why won't they acknowledge that the Bengals LOST today? The Bengals lost and still got into the playoffs via NFL Playoff Math. Talk about being lucky!

Why won't they talk about the Bengals being WINLESS against teams this year that are in the playoffs?

Yet the Texans are the ones who are in trouble in this matchup?

You just have to giggle at it, because they're just going off the usual template of "Texans suck." That's what 9 years of STINKING will do to ya' out there in the sports media world. Template-based analysis that has no objectivity to it.

Not saying we will win 100% and it won't even be hard to do so. Just saying that we're being picked as an underdog at home vs. a team who lucked their way into the playoffs and hasn't beaten a playoff-caliber team in 2011.

That's some bulletin board material for the kids on Kirby.
Actually...that's a stat I forgot all about but was bought up last time. I think the Bengals are like winless (or maybe won one game?) against teams over .500
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #107
GP 
Go Texans!

My MAIN concern is how hot-and-cold Arian Foster has been in the latter half of this season. He's been dynamite or held in check.

When you have a contrasting stable of RBs like we have, Kubiak has to be quicker to put the load on Tate's shoulders, or even Ward. But it seems Kubiak gets into a bit of trance, IIRC, and keeps forcing Foster when it's not working.

I want to see Kubiak go back to that One Two Punch that he did earlier in the season when he was splitting their carries (when Foster was easing back into the rotation after early reg season hamstring issues).

The change of style between those two guys is maddening for a defense. Foster is the guy who strings out the play and finds holes at the last second, he sometimes even stops and makes defenders miss out of sheer over-pursuit. Tate tends to make his cuts VERY early in the play and hits the seam he's identified...getting through there with speed AND power.

After awhile, a defense cannot mentally keep up with what type of force they are dealing with from play to play. The One Two Punch is effective.

If we try to make the Bengals game a shoot out, I am worried. This Yates guy is good when other things are working and he can just manage the game. I don't want a rookie QB like Yates trying to think his whole legacy is wrapped up in trying to be Aaron Rodgers or Favre in the opening playoff game this Saturday. We need the run game and defense to slow things down for him. It slows things down for Dalton, too.
Old 01-01-2012   #108
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My MAIN concern is how hot-and-cold Arian Foster has been in the latter half of this season. He's been dynamite or held in check.

When you have a contrasting stable of RBs like we have, Kubiak has to be quicker to put the load on Tate's shoulders, or even Ward. But it seems Kubiak gets into a bit of trance, IIRC, and keeps forcing Foster when it's not working.

I want to see Kubiak go back to that One Two Punch that he did earlier in the season when he was splitting their carries (when Foster was easing back into the rotation after early reg season hamstring issues).

The change of style between those two guys is maddening for a defense. Foster is the guy who strings out the play and finds holes at the last second, he sometimes even stops and makes defenders miss out of sheer over-pursuit. Tate tends to make his cuts VERY early in the play and hits the seam he's identified...getting through there with speed AND power.

After awhile, a defense cannot mentally keep up with what type of force they are dealing with from play to play. The One Two Punch is effective.

If we try to make the Bengals game a shoot out, I am worried. This Yates guy is good when other things are working and he can just manage the game. I don't want a rookie QB like Yates trying to think his whole legacy is wrapped up in trying to be Aaron Rodgers or Favre in the opening playoff game this Saturday. We need the run game and defense to slow things down for him. It slows things down for Dalton, too.
I think this is the goal in every game, but the oline sometimes is not up to par. To me it seems like Gary goes with the hot hand. He seems to be more lenient to Foster when it comes to getting into rhythm, but the guy is our franchise back, so he has earned that right. I like the 2:1 ratio as long as both backs are getting good yardage, I really think that AJ is the guy who needs to set the mood for our team. We need to go deep to him early to loosen up the defense and to remind them that AJ is still a beast. I doubt they respect him right off the bat....
Old 01-01-2012   #109
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Texans vs Bungles next week in Wild Card Playoff

I like our chances in this game, especially if the crowd's as loud as during the Atlanta game. They'll have trouble throwing & that's what they need to do stay with us. I work with a Bengals fan who's convinced they'll lose.
Old 01-01-2012   #110
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
Another guy's opinion. Fair enough.

Some fans prefer the QB with the mobility and the arm over the one with playoff and Super Bowl experience who has lost a step. I prefer the latter, but we will see what Kubiak does next week.
experience means nothing if you're a bad player, which Delhomme
is. i'll take "skill" over "non-skill" any day.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #111
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
experience means nothing if you're a bad player, which Delhomme
is. i'll take "skill" over "non-skill" any day.
Please do us all a favor and go watch the Texans game vs. Jax.

You'll see a guy in Leinart who has non-skill that you're falsely placing on Delhomme here.

Today, Delhomme looked much better than Leinart did. Leinart had no vision for the way a play develops, no zip on the ball, and he got crushed and pulverized because he had no pocket awareness and limited vision.

I don't agree, at all, that Delhomme has no skill. In fact, he impressed me today because he went out there and made plays with 2nd and 3rd stringers around him. Not too shabby, IMO. Not "elite," but not as garbage as you're saying either.
Old 01-01-2012   #112
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
I think this is the goal in every game, but the oline sometimes is not up to par. To me it seems like Gary goes with the hot hand. He seems to be more lenient to Foster when it comes to getting into rhythm, but the guy is our franchise back, so he has earned that right. I like the 2:1 ratio as long as both backs are getting good yardage, I really think that AJ is the guy who needs to set the mood for our team. We need to go deep to him early to loosen up the defense and to remind them that AJ is still a beast. I doubt they respect him right off the bat....
Fair enough. I got no beef with your take on that.
Old 01-01-2012   #113
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52329 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can maybe get Brisel back and blocking for Delhomme, he'll be fine. When Delhomme gets pressured, he turns into the worst QB of all-time.

But either way, I'm pretty sure Yates will be in.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #114
mirage
Texans Fan!

Rep Power: 0 mirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respected

Most important matchup of the game:

AJ Green v Jonathan Joseph...

I think the winner of this head to head wins the game for his team.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #115
Jules18
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Jules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like what Cincy has done this season but they do struggle with winning teams and it has been brought up.

I think Ray Rice ran all over them today at times. Get the run game going and whoever is at QB will have a much easier day. The run game is the key on offense obviously.

I think Houston finds a way to win at home. The crowd will be pumped for this one too.

And it's not like an experienced QB is coming in either. It's Andy Dalton. He has been solid but I think Wade can figure some stuff out for him. Have some faith in Wade. This is the same man who always gave Peyton Manning fits too. He can certainly plan for the Bengals.

Should be a good game but I have a hunch Houston finds a way to win this one right now.
Jules18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #116
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Homer or not...

this is about to be a beating.
Old 01-01-2012   #117
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22721 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
Most important matchup of the game:

AJ Green v Jonathan Joseph...

I think the winner of this head to head wins the game for his team.
I disagree. I think it comes down to the Bengals ability to contain Foster & Tate. Ray Rice had a big game on them, so the Ravens barely had to throw the ball. The same recipe should be applied.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #118
mirage
Texans Fan!

Rep Power: 0 mirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respectedmirage is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I disagree. I think it comes down to the Bengals ability to contain Foster & Tate. Ray Rice had a big game on them, so the Ravens barely had to throw the ball. The same recipe should be applied.
I was speaking more along the lines on a 1 on 1 matchup of importance (not necessarily an entire phase of the game). I think if AJ is able to burn JJo for 2 TD's our chance for victory is far less than the chance for victory if we have a mediocre day on the ground.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012   #119
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 94442 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree that the Texans are better. If everyone takes care of business we can handily beat the Bengals.

I don't like how we are heading into the playoffs though.

I would rather be going in like the Giants right now, they are focused and clicking on all cylinders.

I have no idea which Texans team will show up on Saturday.
Old 01-02-2012   #120
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Dungy hates Houston for some reason. We never beat him but he has an ax to grind.

We lost today because this was a non important game to us. It looked like preseason out there today. Seriously, who goes for two in that situation?

We are going to kill the Bengals.
He doesn't hate Houston. He's usually complimentary of us.

It is odd that between the ESPN and NBC coverage of the game, no one mentioned that we were resting starters and playing the 2nd and 3rd stringers. And, despite this, nearly won the game.

These guys are simply seeing that we have lost 3 games in a row and playing a 3rd or 4th string QB in the playoffs. Simply looking at it like that, without actually analyzing anything, I can't blame them for picking the Bengals to win. Fortunately for us, there's more to it than that.

Also, FWIW, Rodney Harrison did pick us to beat the Bengals.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read