Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2012   #101
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why People Are Angry That We Rested Our Starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
so we make the playoffs and people are still bitching?
This is getting real old. Whining about other's posts is pointless and off topic.
Old 01-01-2012   #102
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i thought we said that once we started winning we wouldnt be such whiny mf'ers.

my thoughts on the game: we were back to our best today. running game killing it, qb making the throws he needs to and good pass rush. we play our starters we kill the titans like in week 7. this team had the look back and ive no doubt we win next week once we keep green in check
Back to our best today? We lost today.

Wouldn't be so whiny once they started winning? Well, the Texans have lost 3 in a row.

In fact, like I've stated before, you'll notice that 10-6 is just one game above the 9-7 season in 2009. Hell, the Titans posted a 9-7 record this year!

I'm sorry if I just can't accept 3 losses in a row - let alone one of them!

In my opinion we had the players to go to the playoffs, and beyond, several years ago, and though I think we can go all the way to the Super Bowl this year - and win it - these last 3 losses still feels like crap.

I'll be amped next Saturday at 3:30pm. But right now I'm still reeling from 3 games of crap football. I don't settle anymore.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #103
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
This is getting real old. Whining about other's posts is pointless and off topic.
trust me i dont really care. was just an observation & i just think it speaks volumes about the boards ability to look big picture that this is the most active post-game thread on the day our first playoff game is finalised
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #104
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 40560 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post

Wouldn't be so whiny once they started winning? Well, the Texans have lost 3 in a row.

In fact, like I've stated before, you'll notice that 10-6 is just one game above the 9-7 season in 2009. Hell, the Titans posted a 9-7 record this year!

In my opinion we had the players to go to the playoffs, and beyond, several years ago, and though I think we can go all the way to the Super Bowl this year - and win it - these last 3 losses still feels like crap.

I'll be amped next Saturday at 3:30pm. But right now I'm still reeling from 3 games of crap football. I don't settle anymore.
This loss was not black and white like you are making it out to be. We lost sure, but our starters were dominating them and we took them and still kept up with them. They played lights out trying to earn a playoff spot and we played our backups backups and still almost won. If you aren't excited about that then may Tebow have mercy on your soul
Old 01-01-2012   #105
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
What kind of record do you think this team would have with the #3 ranked defense and #31 ranked offense, prob a lot worse than 10-6
Well, that's a scenario that hasn't happened...so it's not valid, IMO.

The scenario we have is this: Good offense for several years but crappy defense every year along with it, and then the defense turns around and equals the offense's output (it's first year out of the gate, btw)...BAM! we got a playoff game.

Had Wade Phillips been HC and we had a top defense all these years, and they bring in Gary Kubiak who shopped in the off-season for his groceries and brings home the bacon with us making the playoffs (a "flipped table" scenario) then I'm sitting here today saying all this about Kubiak not Phillips.

It's the nature of the beast. One came first, the other came next, but one pushed us over the top. It is what it is, IMO. I would have been saying Kubiak deserved the better seat at the table of honor here.
Old 01-01-2012   #106
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

like i said big picture...

for yrs fans were moaning (probably correct) that these meaningless late season games which we won were the ones that saved kubiak. the whole 5-7 thing etc...

now that the team was able to lose these this yr by clinching the playoffs early, they're suddenly being transformed as vital games. we played well today- our backups and 3rd stringers (with nothing to play for) went toe to toe with a team playing for their playoff lives
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #107
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
trust me i dont really care. was just an observation & i just think it speaks volumes about the boards ability to look big picture that this is the most active post-game thread on the day our first playoff game is finalised
Hey man, much respect, but our first playoff game was finalised 4 games ago, and since then our team has done nothing to look like a playoff team.

Amazing80 - maybe we should have played our backups against the Colts, too? There might have been better results.

I'm not trying to be an ass, here. But I'm talking about more of a body work that just makes this loss feel extra special.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2012   #108
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
lawyers and judges and juriors are paid to put away the criminal and free the innocent, that works so well, ask Casey Anthony...

Yeah Gary i agree, all these guys are pros rather they are 1st or 3rd string, but the talent does have a big drop off.
I meant that I feel the starters should have been playing.
Old 01-01-2012   #109
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
GP! Wish I could rep you for your post throughout this thread, but, must spread rep first!

#1 You play a GAME to WIN!! PERIOD!! It's that simple!!

#2 Fans pay BIGASS bucks to see their team WIN, esp against a division rival with possible playoff potential.

#3 Sitting your starters is CHEATING the fans!! I paid pretty close to $700 to watch crap football today, and I didn't appreciate that one damn bit!! If you have to lose a game, then lose it honestly!!

#4 It's a GAME of football, and with that comes injuries, etc. That's just the way the game is played. Take it in the gut and keep on playin!! If you all think six days is enough to REST those guys then you are all delusional!!

We are playing with a 3rd, and probably 4th string QB!! For gawds sake!! WHY can't you guys understand they need PRACTICE with the FIRST string if we have any chance in hell of winning in the playoffs!! I simply DO NOT understand this attitude that it's OK to rest your starters!! It's a game of football, not Daddy Daycare!!!
Well Grandma, who do you think I was thinking of when I made that post to begin with? YOU!

When I met you at the Raiders game, I instantly knew why you are so well-liked on here and amongst your pals at the games on Sundays. You are VERY die-hard Texans football, all the way to your soul.

I kept thinking of you guys who march to Kirby every home game, what you endured for these 10 years. I felt today's "strategy" was a knock against all of you who stood by them when they were awful or at best "mediocre." You guys who attend the game deserved to see a win today since next Saturday holds no guarantee of a win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Aren't the players paid to win football games? It is that simple for me.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The only people that should be mad are me and the 71000 plus that were at the game...really would have liked a win...
Yup.

Quote:
Yup.

Quote:

I also have a short memory when it comes to winning. Oh, you WON last Sunday? Great...that's awesome....but win TODAY too, please?

I'm greedy like that. I'm not saying I'm better than the ones who hold a different opposing stance in this thread than me, so you guys don't take it the wrong way. I think for some people, it's just different outlook. Not better than YOUR take or any other's take, just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
This loss was not black and white like you are making it out to be. We lost sure, but our starters were dominating them and we took them and still kept up with them. They played lights out trying to earn a playoff spot and we played our backups backups and still almost won. If you aren't excited about that then may Tebow have mercy on your soul
I love the the Tebow have mercy on your soul part. LOL. Witty and clever.

And I also agree with you in THIS post of yours. I just want to know why Kubiak and the gang wouldn't try to put in the BEST players on the two-point conversion and just completely obliterate the Titans on the 2-point conversion attempt???

That would have been awesome. BLAMMO! A bazooka shell to their faces at close range. Talk about a statement play if it happened that way. Instead, some Austin guy snaps the ball over Delhomme's head and we get ZERO chance to convert the attempt. How deflating was that? It was entirely deflating, for me.

Now imagine you paid $700 like SheTexan did, like she has all her Texans life, and you know the sore feelings.
Old 01-01-2012   #110
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

i thought we said that once we started winning we wouldnt be such whiny mf'ers.

my thoughts on the game: we were back to our best today. running game killing it, qb making the throws he needs to and good pass rush. we play our starters we kill the titans like in week 7. this team had the look back and ive no doubt we win next week once we keep green in check
And seeing as how our current starting QB got a bruised shoulder in the first series, Kubiak was right to minimize injuries.

A.J. doesn't seem to have any issue with today's outcome.

Quote:
“Nobody’s disappointed,” said receiver Andre Johnson, who estimated he played 15 snaps as he worked back from a hamstring injury. “Of course we wanted to win the game. We didn’t come out on top, but there is next week. Some teams don’t have next week. We have next week.”

“Those first couple drives, we kind of had that swagger back a little bit,” said quarterback T.J. Yates, who left the game with a bruise of his non-throwing shoulder in the first quarter. “Everybody was aggressive, flying around, very talkative on the sideline. It felt like we were back to normal out there.”
But I guess y'all think A.J. and T.J. are full of it...
They're looking ahead to the playoffs... we all should be
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #111
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, that's a scenario that hasn't happened...so it's not valid, IMO.

The scenario we have is this: Good offense for several years but crappy defense every year along with it, and then the defense turns around and equals the offense's output (it's first year out of the gate, btw)...BAM! we got a playoff game.

Had Wade Phillips been HC and we had a top defense all these years, and they bring in Gary Kubiak who shopped in the off-season for his groceries and brings home the bacon with us making the playoffs (a "flipped table" scenario) then I'm sitting here today saying all this about Kubiak not Phillips.

It's the nature of the beast. One came first, the other came next, but one pushed us over the top. It is what it is, IMO. I would have been saying Kubiak deserved the better seat at the table of honor here.
My whole point was that Kubiak deserves some credit here, the offense has been very good every since kubiak came to town. So everyone cant just give wade all the glory like they are all wanting too.
Old 01-01-2012   #112
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My whole point was that Kubiak deserves some credit here, the offense has been very good every since kubiak came to town. So everyone cant just give wade all the glory like they are all wanting too.
Kubiak's offense without a decent defense was worth 6-9 wins/year. Wade's D has brought us the other 2-4 wins that gets us into the playoffs. And should keep getting us into the playoffs for the foreseeable future.

It's simple math really
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #113
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
I think Wade deserves a LOT of credit. Of course I won't say he gets it "all."

But he gets the lion's share of it.

I mean, what if it was truly reversed?

Wade Phillips has been head coach for five years prior. The team is consistently GOOD on defense. We lose games by scores of 10-6 or 21-17, etc. If we JUST had an offense that could put up better points, and more consistently, we'd be good to go for a playoff appearance.

So in the offseason in 2011, McNair hires Kubiak who had just been fired as head coach of the Broncos during the 2010 season. "Oh boy, look! Another Houston guy. Local guy. Great."

Kubiak inherits a pretty anemic bunch of players on offense. He immediately is able to land a good QB and a better RB in free agency. He had been targeting a certain player, but Rick Smith and Kubiak drop that target and grab TWO good players instead of one. Next, in the draft, he's given all draft picks except one round where Wade chooses a guy on defense. Kubiak nails his picks.

The lockout ends up being a hurdle for Kubiak, though. He's got a limited amount of time to work with his guys. He has new guys who are new to him, new to the team, the playbook he has, etc. he's shifting guys from RT to LT because he identifies they were not playing in the right place. In fact, the whole Kubiak offense is new to the team and the players on offense are learning the concept in a short span of time.

Wade's defense does what it has done for the past few years, but Kubiak's guys are plowing over people like gang busters as well. In fact, it's a situation of going from worst to almost first in one wild lockout-shortened season.

Ellis, to me (and this is just me), Kubiak would be getting the praise from me right now if this were the case. It's just natural to do so. The odds are not in favor of what Wade Phillips and the defense did this season. It's the best story in the 2011 NFL, actually, and it's been largely ignored and barely given any legs in the national sports media.
Old 01-01-2012   #114
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
and you would be one of the first ones on this board screaming for Kubiak's head if the starters played a full game and Foster, of AJ or even Yates got hurt, and wonder why he didn't pull his starters in a game that meant nothing...

hypocrisy lives here my friend....
****ing THANK YOU.
Old 01-01-2012   #115
Jules18
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Jules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respectedJules18 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only reason I was a bit irritated was because IT'S THE TITANS. OMG. Thank God they did not get in. lmao.

Honestly though I would rather see your Texans play Cincy. Division games are often tough to call no matter what. Cincy also has a rookie QB and has struggled a lot vs. winning teams.

Resting starters can suck but keep in mind in 2009 the Saints lost 3 straight games to end the season and the Colts tanked the last game and a half and were in the SB.
Jules18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #116
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

This game meant nothing
Andre got some snaps and some contact
No starters got hurt, Yates should be ok
It's all about Saturday, can they punk the Bengals...

Go Texans
Old 01-01-2012   #117
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
hypocrisy lives here my friend....
I don't see a lot of hypocrisy. Many of those who are upset about the Texans resting starters are the same fans who complained in '09 about the Colts resting starters late in the season versus the Jets. I said then that the Colts earned the privilege to rest those players because they won when it counted. Just as the Texan earned that right by clinching the division in week 14. So I just see it as a difference in opinion. Play to win (regardless of the circumstances) or play smart (considering the circumstances).
Old 01-01-2012   #118
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
I don't see a lot of hypocrisy. Many of those who are upset about the Texans resting starters are the same fans who complained in '09 about the Colts resting starters late in the season versus the Jets. I said then that the Colts earned the privilege to rest those players because they won when it counted. Just as the Texan earned that right by clinching the division in week 14. So I just see it as a difference in opinion. Play to win (regardless of the circumstances) or play smart (considering the circumstances).
This ^^^^^^
Old 01-02-2012   #119
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought the Texans played it smart today. The players that were in played hard, Delhomme got some action, and some key players got some rest.

The team momentum was killed the previous two games. This game didn't change that.
Old 01-02-2012   #120
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 56366 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
BINGO!

Do the rest of you understand the history of the AFC South in the past 10 years? Do you not understand the idea of how our divisional opponents kicked us and laughed at us for 9 years and in year 10 we have the chance to make sure ALL THREE OF THEM are sitting on their asses watching US and not preparing for a game (against us, by the way!).

A lot of Johnny Come Lately's or something, I suppose. I will never want to think that me laying down in a final reg season game allows a divisional foe the chance to get INTO the playoffs which means they could surge past us and do better than us. Why is this so hard to wrap one's mind around????
They could barely beat our backups, what makes you think they would have been any competition come Wildcard Weekend?

I would have been happy to see them somehow sneak in and face a healthy Texans team. Listening to their fans all week go on and on, only to have their dreams crushed when it counted.

I would say the Bengals are a much better team than the Titans this season and have many big play guys who can take it to the house.

IMHO big picture thinking is a better way to describe it.

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever. -Shane Falco
"Listen... Do you smell something?" -Dr. Raymond Stantz
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read