Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2012   #41
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Why People Are Angry That We Rested Our Starters?

here you go guys..2010

Quote:
CHARLOTTE -- Drew Brees watched from the sideline as the New Orleans offense failed to move the ball. He shivered on the cold Sunday afternoon as the backups on defense tried to stop Jonathan Stewart.

Just after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell talked of creating incentives to get teams that have already locked up playoff positioning to play their starters, Saints coach Sean Payton enjoyed the view of Brees with him on the sideline -- even if it meant entering the playoffs on a three-game losing streak after a 23-10 loss to the Carolina Panthers.

“The idea of getting a draft pick and having your quarterback not healthy for a divisional playoff game doesn’t sound real appealing to me,” Payton said of Goodell’s incentive idea
Quote:
Sure, the Saints (13-3) are still the No. 1 seed with home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. But what happened to the team that was once flirting with a perfect season?

“Would I have loved it if we came out here and scored 41 today? I mean, yeah,” Brees said. “But is it worth the risk? Those are the things you have to weigh. We had a formula that worked well for us in 2006 with that No. 2 seed and first-round bye. That’s what we’re following.”
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...all&id=7199463
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #42
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Sounds a lot like "moral victory" stuff, and that's what this franchise needs to leave behind if they want to be top-tier in the future.

Patriots won 49-21 after being down 21-0.

Saints beat Panthers 45-17.

Regardless of what the Pats or Saints were playing for, they played to win. I love that type of attitude. I really do. It says, "WINNING is important." It's a mindset. A culture.
Who gives a F what the Pats did, they were playing for something today, they HAD to win, period.

YOu want to compare teams, compare the injuries suffered by each of those teams compared to the Texans. Any one of those teams lose their 1st string QB? How about their #1 WR for most of the year? Their #1 RB for what 4 games this year? Their star defensive player?

It had NOTHING, I'll repeat N-O-T-H-I-N-G to do with winning today and EVERYTHING to do with getting into next weeks playoff game with as healthy as they could....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #43
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
He should have been trying to win. I really don't care if it risks an injury to someone who will never see the field next week. If they get hurt, you sign someone off the street or call up someone from the practice squad to sit on the bench.
Yea...Screw Ben Tate, Joel Dressen, James Casey, and even our back up QB Jake Delhomme! If they get hurt we'll just sign some scrub off the street whose talent level is in equal of scrubbiness to the aforementioned guys. We should have kept playing to go to OT to win so we could have been the #3 seed. Unfortunately we lost and are now stuck with being the #3 seed....
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #44
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The question that keeps rattling in my brain is "Has the new combination of Texans offensive and defensive starter players learned to win in the last 3 1/2 games such that they could not afford some more 'education' in this last game?"

GB, like the Texans, had it "locked up" and rested their starters. GB, unlike the Texans, don't need an extra "lecture" to learn how to win.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #45
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
How insecure are you? People who give a **** about what other people think of them are pathetic.
What people think of you is a direct result of what you do or are.

Regardless of if it's warranted or not.

I'm to the point that I want more than just to be happy with a playoff game. Call me greedy, call me insecure, whatever. I want it all. I want the Titans and the other two AFCS teams to soak in misery and NOT get into the playoffs. I want us to beat them down every chance we get. I want us to win the playoff game no matter WHO we face. I want wins. WINS WINS WINS.

Insecure? Hardly. Greedy? Probably so.
Old 01-01-2012   #46
cdollaz
All Pro

Rep Power: 6353 cdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respectedcdollaz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Yea...Screw Ben Tate, Joel Dressen, James Casey, and even our back up QB Jake Delhomme! If they get hurt we'll just sign some scrub off the street whose talent level is in equal of scrubbiness to the aforementioned guys. We should have kept playing to go to OT to win so we could have been the #3 seed. Unfortunately we lost and are now stuck with being the #3 seed....
Yep, pretty much. I would have risked it. But then again, I'm not a vag.
cdollaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #47
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3326 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Crazy how the Texans were the ONLY team in the AFC playoff picture with absolutely nothing to play for. In the NFC, it was only the Packers.

Everybody else was playing for homefield or division title.

TJ Yates got a frickin AC seperation on the very play for gods sake. I would have pulled him right there....
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2012   #48
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 59860 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In 2009 vs. Texans in a final reg season game, Brady came IN and OUT of the game as the scenario dictated him to do. If they were ahead, he was pulled out. If they needed a boost, he was put in.
Right.

Ha! I know this is looking like a love fest. But that's why I said in the gameday thread, at the very least you rotate some of your starters in and out if you really want to give them a rest.

Graham at linebacker? Okay, so you couldn't have put in a real lineback for one series, just because on the previous series he was sitting on his ass with a mouth full of sunflower seeds?
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #49
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 131049 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Old 01-01-2012   #50
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2779 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
In 2009 vs. Texans in a final reg season game, Brady came IN and OUT of the game as the scenario dictated him to do. If they were ahead, he was pulled out. If they needed a boost, he was put in.
They had a chance for a late comeback and it was still their back up QB playing in the 4th
Old 01-01-2012   #51
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

All thoes teams u mentiond had byes or seeding to play for nuff said / thread
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #52
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

and they also lost Welker in that game
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #53
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
He should have been trying to win. I really don't care if it risks an injury to someone who will never see the field next week. If they get hurt, you sign someone off the street or call up someone from the practice squad to sit on the bench.
That is why are you on a message board and not a coach. That backup may become a starter if the player ahead of him gets hurt. So if the backup get injured then the starter gets injured, you're down to a practice squad player who hasn't played a snap stepping in during a playoff game. Of course, backups never get hurt after a starter goes down, so why worry about that right?

Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #54
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
That is why are you on a message board and not a coach.
But at least he's not a "vag"!!!
Old 01-01-2012   #55
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I believe that Bill Belichick, no matter what people think of him, wants to win so badly that he places it above all else. He rides the line as closely as he can.

YES, that's the type of culture I want my Texans to pursue and obtain and maintain. It's dynasty building, not just merely getting a first-ever playoff seed and being thrilled about it.

Myers at center, IMO, might even make the difference today.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Patriots still lost. And they lost Wes Welker for the playoffs... which they ended up doing nothing in the playoffs. Talk about loss - loss.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #56
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah Stemp, not like our backup to Winston got hurt or anything today.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #57
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Also some of yall must not work physical jobs. Yall dont know the power of rest before a big job or game.
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #58
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Wolf, good points to make. Thank you for searching for that and sharing it.

My only sticking point is that they had #2 seed and 1st round bye locked up. Us sitting at #3 and needing to simplify the Titans' post-regular season plans was worth the effort, IMO, of trying to win that game 100%.

Enjoyed that article, though. I'll get better as the week moves along. Already feeling the blood pressure drop a little. Just hate the AFCS rivals with a passion and can't stop thinking about losing to them and MAYBE giving them new life in playoffs. That's all.
Old 01-01-2012   #59
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43787 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just hate the AFCS rivals with a passion and can't stop thinking about losing to them and MAYBE giving them new life in playoffs. That's all.
Now that, I can agree with. Personally, I would have like to have seen the starters play a little longer... but I'm not going to fault Kubiak for doing what he did.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #60
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak was 100% correct in how he handled the game today. I've never been loathe to criticize the head coach, if the criticism was earned. This criticism is not earned. This was a preseason game for the postseason. Had the Texans reserves made a play on the 2 point conversion, the Texans would have had their cake, and eaten it, too. And frankly, I'm none too upset if it is the Titans that come into Reliant again next weekend.

This is about winning in the playoffs. The Texans did nothing today that hurt their chances in the playoffs. Rather by having reserves get experience in a real game, they enhanced their chances. Well done by everyone, and I'm very much looking forward to a playoff victory in Reliant next weekend. I'm more confident now than I have been since the Bengal game. And the Texans should be confident, as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read