Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-01-2012   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Just Food For Thought

Based on his overall play today along with his playoff experience, would you at least consider starting Jake rather than T.J. Yates at quarterback? I am just saying think about it. Please don't attack me but I would just ponder it that's all.
Old 01-01-2012   #2
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34365 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just Food For Thought

Think about it? Maybe... Jake played good today - but nothing spectacular. He is clutch but turnover prone (kinda sounds like TJ). He has experience but no real future with this team (that`s the exact opposite of TJ). So in the end I would start TJ - but if he shows signs that this game is too big for him I would not hesitate to put Jake in (and tell Yates he had a great season, led this team to the playoffs and will be a great QB in the future if he takes this experience and learn from it).
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #3
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 23870 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Based on his overall play today along with his playoff experience, would you at least consider starting Jake rather than T.J. Yates at quarterback? I am just saying think about it. Please don't attack me but I would just ponder it that's all.
Maybe if this had been forced a couple of weeks ago, I'd be considering it. However I don't replace my starting QB going into the playoffs out of choice.

Delhomme looked pretty damn good though, but then again, the Tacks had no film on him wearing deep steel blue, I always think that is to a QB's advantage, I think TJ looked great because of it a month or so ago and now he's finding things get more and more difficult as teams adjust to his play.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #4
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 85971 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aside from the fumble, I liked the way Delhomme controlled the offense, even if they were backups

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #5
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 16186 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm an advocate of still going with yates.

yates has more chemistry with aj and the rest of the team than delhomme. yates also knows more of the playbook than delhomme.

delhomme had a couple "almost" interceptions that worry me.
Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #6
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24061 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

No. The only way would've been to give him reps in the last 2, preferably the last 3 games. Not some pt in game 16 and then u start....
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #7
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, I'd think real hard telling Delhomme to be ready
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-01-2012   #8
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Gary, I am not attacking you but, I must say I am full and not hungry for your thought. Happy new year Gary.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

This is absolutley NOT the time to be pondering this.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #10
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Delhomme needs more time spent getting his timing down with the rest of the team. He's a far more savvy QB than Yates, but I suspect it would be Superbowl time before he was really ready and Yates is ready to do his best (whatever that will be) now. It's tempting, but I think it's too risky.

For instance, when Delhomme went straight back and bought himself a LOT of time, he found nobody open and eventually threw it away (or maybe tried for something that just wasn't going to happen and resulted in an incompletion; I don't remember). More experience with this team would have taught him to roll to one side or the other, which would have been far more likely to result in finding somebody at least a little open. What he did was very impressive for what to do in that situation on the average team, but not for us. It worked wonders for the Panthers a long time ago, but this isn't Carolina.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #11
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

No ride with TJ he understands the offense much better than Jake at this points.
Old 01-01-2012   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Delhomme (right now) tends to want to use arm strength to force short passes early when this offense tends to require longer, well-timed, slightly lob-ish passes. On the long ball, I think they both have a lot of talent. I just hope Yates doesn't sail too many intermediate passes, because that's what scares me about him: overthrown, 15 yard picks.

Old 01-01-2012   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

I still say we put a hard cast on Schaub's lower leg, surround that with molten, shaped metal, stick a big ol' athletic shoe on it, shoot up his whole leg, and tell him to man up.

Old 01-01-2012   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 169136 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sticking w the gun that got us here. Delhomme is turnover prone and his pocket presence is questionable at best. At the very least, Yates has shown that he can run and make a play. That to me means the world come playoff time when coverages are tighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I just think it is hard to say and I would not be angry either way.
Old 01-01-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad Jake got some game time before we go into the playoffs.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read