Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-30-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ to return against the Titans.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...nnessee-titans

HOUSTON -- Houston star receiver Andre Johnson will play against Tennessee on Sunday after missing the past three games because of a strained left hamstring.

Coach Gary Kubiak said Johnson will be on a play count, but wasn't sure how many. Johnson has played only six games this season after missing six straight with a right hamstring injury that required surgery.

"It was all depending on how the week went and everything went fine this past week, so I'll be able to go out and play a little bit on Sunday," Johnson said.

Kubiak says he wants Johnson to play so he'll be ready to contribute next weekend in the Texans' first playoff game. Johnson also believes getting some work in is important.

"I just want to get back in the flow of playing a game," he said. "It's been a while since I've played. I just want to get back to the game feeling. I think it will show fans that I will be ready to play for the playoffs. So it will give them something to be excited about."

Johnson is disappointed that he hasn't been able to play much this season, but after enduring years of losing seasons in Houston, the team's success has kept his attitude positive.

"It's been a long season with a lot of frustrating times, but there's still light at the end of the tunnel," Johnson said.

The AFC South champion has lost two straight heading into Sunday's game after reeling off seven consecutive wins. Although the outcome can't change its playoff position, the team is hoping to build momentum for the postseason.

"We want to go out and win this game and get back to playing football the way we had when we were on our winning streak," Johnson said. "We need to come out and eliminate those mistakes that we've been having for the past couple of weeks."

Johnson has finished with more than 1,200 yards receiving in each of the past three seasons, including a career-high 1,575 in 2008. He has 31 receptions for 471 yards and two touchdowns this season while missing the most games in his career.

i know some people dont agree with this but he needs to knock the rust off and be ready for the POST SEASON

Should AJ be playing ???

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...son-be-playing

Regardless of whether it's valuable for an NFL team heading into the playoffs, I believe in momentum.

Thatís why I canít blame Gary Kubiak for wanting to get Andre Johnson on the field against the Tennessee Titans. The receiver is a huge piece of the Houston Texans' playoff hopes. T.J. Yates hasnít had a chance to get anything going with Johnson. Some connections Sunday can pay dividends in a week in the franchiseís first playoff game.

"I just want to get back in the flow of playing a game," Johnson said. "It's been a while since I've played. I just want to get back to the game feeling. I think it will show fans that I will be ready to play for the playoffs. So it will give them something to be excited about."

Johnson missed six games earlier this season with a right hamstring injury. He missed the last three games with a right hamstring strain.

Should he re-aggravate a hamstring or suffer a new injury, Kubiak will get crushed for using him. Wednesday on a conference call with Tennessee reporters he said he wanted to play Johnson 15 to 20 plays if the week went well. Friday he wasnít being as specific but said it won't be 30 or 40 plays.

Itís a tough call.

Reliant Stadium is the same place the New England Patriots lost receiver Wes Welker to a serious non-contact knee injury in a meaningless 2009 season finale in Houston. The Baltimore Ravens crushed New England the next week.

Do you want to see Johnson play this weekend or do you want the Texans to play it safe?
Old 12-30-2011   #2
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ to return against the Titans.

Nice. Yates needs reps with a spaced field.
TheMatrix31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
Quote:
"We want to go out and win this game and get back to playing football the way we had when we were on our winning streak," Johnson said. "We need to come out and eliminate those mistakes that we've been having for the past couple of weeks."
This, I believe, is the most important reason the Texans need to play to win this game. We haven't been playing very well lately. Maybe because Andre was out... whatever it was, we need to go out against a real team, trying to win, & play our game.

We need to show that we can run on 8 in the box. We need to show we can take advantage of numbers in the run game, mismatches in the passing game, & combination routes.

Now, Kubiak has his 15 play script.

I say Kubiak should be telling the starters we are going to play to win. But after he sees enough... winning in the first half... then we can call the dogs off & treat it just like the 3rd preseason game. Play a few players who want/need more work..... but sit Arian, Sit Tj, Sit Duane & Myers, Sit Jjo & Cushing, & Jj & Antonio.... damn near the whole defense.

But they need to go into the game thinking it's a must win.
Old 12-30-2011   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

15 to 17 plays, please!!! Maybe 20 at the most, THANK YOU!!!
Old 12-30-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to ask myself why if AJ is so "prepared" to take on even limited reps in real game situation, that he has been "limited" in practice throughout the week.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #6
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think I can stand to watch him crumple to the ground again.

Even the other team's players (that first time this year) had a look on their face like Superman had just died and the city was now vulnerable to Lex Luther.

I don't think I've ever seen an opposing team act like that before when a guy goes down to injury. They were overly reverent, IMO. It was so quiet on my TV.

I hope he makes it through this year. Period.
Old 12-30-2011   #7
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I have to ask myself why if AJ is so "prepared" to take on even limited reps in real game situation, that he has been "limited" in practice throughout the week.
maybe just taking it easy to give it a little more time to make sure its fully healed.

"limited" practice reps then "limited" game reps, sounds about right
Old 12-31-2011   #8
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 961 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

hopefully they play well..will be great to see a win live...
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 267323 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
maybe just taking it easy to give it a little more time to make sure its fully healed.

"limited" practice reps then "limited" game reps, sounds about right
....and gives more contrast to the stresses to which his hamstrings are likely to be exposed in-game.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
....and gives more contrast to the stresses to which his hamstrings are likely to be exposed in-game.
i work in the oildfield and i have had some pretty bad stuff that i worked on. I would rest it as much as i could when i was off so i could still work. Not saying it is the same thing but i see no reason to push it to much in practice if he will be limited in the game as well. This will be like warm ups for AJ basically, and then he has another 6 days to let it heal for the motherload game where he will have to give his all.
Old 12-31-2011   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he isn't coming back to fast. Further injury could threaten the rest of his career.

Andre Johnson is the best player we have ever had. He is the face of our franchise. We can't afford to risk his career just to have a 75% Andre in a couple playoff games IMO. Having said that, Andre is likely making this decision right now. Let's hope it all works out.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I hope he isn't coming back to fast. Further injury could threaten the rest of his career.

Andre Johnson is the best player we have ever had. He is the face of our franchise. We can't afford to risk his career just to have a 75% Andre in a couple playoff games IMO. Having said that, Andre is likely making this decision right now. Let's hope it all works out.
you think he would sit out our first play off game and watch, after all he has been through with this franchise. Hell no they would of had to lock him up and throw away the key to keep him from playing.
Old 12-31-2011   #13
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17600 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

If aj wants to get reps sure ill play him some time in the 2nd qtr but only 1 qtr at best
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I tried telling someone, I think it was speedy, that AJ doing some reps on the practice field doesn't really mirror what he's going to encounter in a game situation.

In one setting, he can lay off a pass and not stretch out for it...he can slow up if a ball is out of his reach...he isn't putting his body through the same stresses as when a defender is trying to catch him or making him perform moves that you can't replicate in a practice session.

In the other setting, the game day setting, his instincts override his intentions of slowing up, laying up, and taking it easy to avoid stressing his body. In a game setting, he's going to be putting his body through paces that can't be replicated with practice sessions.

If he plays and makes it through the game without re-injury or some sort of over-compensating type of injury connected to the root source injury, that'll be the sign for me. As it stands, I am bracing myself for the likelihood of watching the guy crumple to the ground...again.

He has the heart, he has the toughness, everything. But if parts in the legs are not healthy enough to sustain the type of strain that Andre Beast Johnson puts on those parts...I don't know that he can stay healthy from here on out.

We'll see. I hope he can. I just don't want to see Superman lose his powers.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read