Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Does Coach Kubiak Deserve an Extension?
Yes 27 37.50%
No 45 62.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2011   #61
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Does Kubiak Deserve an Extension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
LOL at this post

Was the Gary/Bush led defense not historically bad last yr? My mind seems to be failing me.

Hasn't Rick and Gary not had 5 yrs together to put together a competent defense. I would say Wade knows how a defense is supposed to work and knows what to look for talent wise to make it work.
Rick and Bush didn't have a clue how to put a defense together. 5 yrs of evidence and 2 DC's tells me this.
& I've said it before.....

The 2009 didn't look much different than the defense you see today. If you draw the line where Wade came in, then it does seem remarkable how we've gone from worst to first.

But if you start the clock at Frank Bush, then it makes perfect sense. We finished what? 13? Then we had a rash of injuries in 2010 similar to what we had in 2011.

Bulman, Barwin, Cushing (first 4 games), Demeco, Williams (played 3 games with a sports hernia before being placed on IR), Wilson, Diles, & there were several more... we picked up a guy on Tuesday & he had to finish at LB for us on Sunday (can't remember the guys name).

But last year, injuries were not allowed as an excuse.... & I agree with that. The biggest difference I see between Wade & Frank Bush is that Wade continues to play his aggressive style regardless who is in the line-up, where Frank Bush kept trying to cover up for younger players by playing zones & keeping things in front of us.

Even in 2010 you saw our defense play like they do today, for a half, or a quarter where they completely shut out the opponent's offense... that's what made all those comebacks possible. For instance, the Giants game. Our defense got shredded in the first half, but they shut the Giants down in the 3rd quarter & slowed them in the 4th.

So last year, I think we can say that we had the players to play better than they did & the coaches could get it out of them. I think the decision was made to "play it safe" & that's what made them look so bad. Still blaming the coaches, for being stupid.

Last year, we thought it was a talent issue. Pollard wasn't good in coverage, but he had 4 ints in 2009? He's starting for the Ravens today. Kj was there, like he is today on the #3 pass defense in the league. & while Glover isn't Jjo, he was definitely better than Kj (then & now) as a corner back.

Wade has been better able to deal with injuries than Frank Bush was. Most likely because Wade's been doing it for 30 years & he's learned it's better to go down doing what you do best, than to try & do something you're not very good at.

Watch when we do play zone coverages this year, it's not pretty, not much better (if any) than last year...... we just play a lot less zone, more man, & we bring pressure (5 rushers) more times than not. The same formula would have worked last year.

Old 12-31-2011   #62
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I said the same thing in an earlier post but you said it better.
The businessman in McNair knows to stick with what has proven to bring results. And that is to hire someone that has been successful as a DC. No more experimenting by bumping up position coaches.

If I were Rick Smith, I'd be a little nervous that the boss had to step in and do a job - hire a very qualified DC - that he should have done years ago. I mean when the boss does your job better than you, why does he really need you?
Rick Smith should be nervous.

But, like I said in the previous post. Many of us were saying maybe we were too rash with our dismissal of Frank Bush after the 2009 season. I think the problem with the 2010 season was that they (Frank & Gary by association) decided to play a "safer" style of defense which we don't have the players for. We should have continued the aggressive style Frank Bush implemented in 2009.

If I was Gary, that's what I would be thinking. In the future, if my DC said, "look, we've got a rookie cornerback & missing our best LB. I'm going to drop 8 guys into coverage since we can't seem to stop the pass" I'm going to say, "No, lets send that extra defender at the QB & make life rough for anybody behind the L.O.S. If the guys aren't cutting it on the back-end, find me someone who can."

& yes, I'm saying Frank Bush shouldn't have been fired. Gary should have over rode his decision to play it safe. Since he did not..... since he did not know any better, Gk should have been fired after the 2010 season & I've been saying that. GK & Frank Bush..... didn't make sense to me to stop @ Frank
Old 12-31-2011   #63
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

No way does Gary deserve an extension. Seems that we are forgetting that he made history by being the first HC of a ten win team that allowed it to loose to a 1 win team. Alot of people have already alluded to the impact that Wade has had on this team and seem to not bring it up in the aspect of how the team responded when he was out. Its all about consistency, Wade has consistently put together a bad-ass defense throughout his career and when he was HC of the cowbitches he got them to the play-offs on a regular basis. He comes here and performs according to his M.O. We have a bad-ass defense and weīre going to the playoffs. Kubiaks M.O. has been to be mediocre and find ways to NOT win, two games showed that Kubiak is still consistent with that. Weīve always had trouble scoring in the red-zone and the game against Indy just put that into glaring noticeability. I think weīd have a better shot consistently with Bums son than we would with Kubes. Also Iīm getting tired of this perception that heīs a QB guru, because after all his time here I donīt see it. First off he worked with great QBs in the past, but theres really no evidence, other than the QBs liking him, that suggest he was the reason for their success. He comes here and fails to identify Carr as the trash that he was. I saw no improvement with Carr after Kubes first season. Schaub.... nm Iīm getting off track here. The point is the offense can eat up yards, yet when they need to punch it in it just doesnīt get done. I donīt understand how anyone can justify extending Kubes. Hell, he wasnīt even the one that brought Wade in, I shudder to think where we would be if Bob hadnīt made the decision.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #64
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Its all about consistency, Wade has consistently put together a bad-ass defense throughout his career and when he was HC of the cowbitches he got them to the play-offs on a regular basis.
The Cowboys went to the play-offs with Wade Phillips in 2007 & 2009.... He missed in 2008 & was fired in 2010....

That defense was pretty bad in 2010
Old 12-31-2011   #65
kingh99

Not until he wins big. Until he wins big the fans will be within their rights to turn on him, which in turn causes the owner to turn on him. Once he's a made coach, a Superbowl winner, the fans and the owner don't get much say anymore. The coach sort of supercedes both at that point. He plays out his string ala Cowher. Bill Cowher was exceedingly mediocre in the years leading up to his "retirement".
Old 12-31-2011   #66
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel extremely uncomfortable with Kubiak. That isn't to take away from his achievements this season, and the way he's turned this franchise into something on the brink of greatness from a team of starters who couldn't even get special teams duties on any other team in the league.

He obviously has an offensive scheme capable of moving the chains, unfortunately, his offense seems to have a tendency to go cold at just the wrong moment and fail to score in the redzone in key situations. Thats on him if you ask me.

I don't beleive for a second that McNair will leave Kubiak as a lame duck, after the 2009 season he had no real reason to extend him and probably would have fired him after 2010 had he been willing to put the man on the hotseat.

This time around McNair is sure to extend him, which worries me, I think Kubiak still has a lot to prove. For instance, the Texans have a glaring need at WR, a number 2 for the immediate future who will have to step up and become number 1 in the not so distant. Kubiak hasn't shown me that he is capable of either identifying a WR prospect or then coaching him up. Jacoby had all the physical tools, why did Gary fail?

For those reasons, I let Gary sit on a hotseat next season and make him prove he hasn't fluked it, make him prove that he has devoloped a perennial playoff team and possibly superbowl contenders. Because the last time we had a winning season and Gary got locked up we all witnessed what came next.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #67
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I feel extremely uncomfortable with Kubiak. That isn't to take away from his achievements this season, and the way he's turned this franchise into something on the brink of greatness from a team of starters who couldn't even get special teams duties on any other team in the league.
So how did he replace those players?

I think he spent the majority of his capital on the defensive side of the ball, & made an offense with bits & pieces he found here & there.

Quote:
He obviously has an offensive scheme capable of moving the chains, unfortunately, his offense seems to have a tendency to go cold at just the wrong moment and fail to score in the redzone in key situations. Thats on him if you ask me.
I think if he were able to acquire talent on offense similar to what he has on defense, this offense would be scary.

Quote:
For those reasons, I let Gary sit on a hotseat next season and make him prove he hasn't fluked it, make him prove that he has devoloped a perennial playoff team and possibly superbowl contenders. Because the last time we had a winning season and Gary got locked up we all witnessed what came next.
I'd still like to see what he does this year before I make the decision. I don't think Kubiak can take us to the AFC Championship game unless he is a good head coach. Whether the defense wins the game or the offense, you're not getting to the AFC Championship game without a good head coach.
Old 12-31-2011   #68
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Not without Wade anyway but I just want him gone.
Old 12-31-2011   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Kubiak will get that extension. Bank on that. Deserves got nothing to do with it.

I thought that McNair had no choice but to extend Kubiak in 2009. Though he hadn't earned it. The organization needed the stability, I thought. I think Kubiak relaxed, and staying status quo led to the 2010 disaster.

After making the playoffs and heading into the final contract year, there's zero doubt that McNair will extend everyone. I don't agree with it. Kubiak, Smith, and company need that carrot, I think. But, I would have axed Kubiak and Smith after the '08 season and hired Cowher. McNair and I have never see eye-to-eye on Kubiak.
I think it was about that time that Cowher found out his wife Kaye had cancer. I do know they moved from Pittsburgh to North Carolina in '07. I'm not sure but I think that's where she was from. I know she played B-ball at UNC.
Wife sick, daughters in college, cushy TV gig so he didn't really need the money... I kinda doubt getting another head coaching was on his agenda during that time.

Would he come here if Kubiak gets the axe? Maybe... I know he likes the team and the organization. But as time goes on, I think the fire to coach again burns less and less brightly. And after 5 years away, is he still that same intense guy we used to see on the sidelines..? The Wiki article said he's got a spot in the upcoming Batman movie.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #70
datchapin
Veteran

Rep Power: 2013 datchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respecteddatchapin is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
The Cowboys went to the play-offs with Wade Phillips in 2007 & 2009.... He missed in 2008 & was fired in 2010....

That defense was pretty bad in 2010
So youīre saying that 2 out of 4 yrs. isnīt a regular basis? Okay he got there half the time... happy. The last yr. out of how many yrs. of coaching defense? I donīt know what happened there nor do I really want to know, but I canīt say that it was poor coaching that led to their sorry performance.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #71
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

There is no way McNair will not give Kubiak an extension after taking team to championship with the injuries we've had. It is what it is.
Old 12-31-2011   #72
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

The 2009 Houston Texans defense finished 17th in points allowed and 13th in yards allowed.

17th and 13th

The 2011 Houston Texans defense is at this time 4th in points and 2nd in yards allowed.

4th and 2nd

I know those are just statistics and that statistics don't always tell the whole story but I want to say that in my opinion the 2011 Houston Texans defense under Wade Phillips does not look anything at all like the 2009 Houston Texans defense under Frank Bush.

I think you can probably count the number of people who think Frank Bush shouldn't have been fired on one hand. Frank Bush shouldn't have been hired.
Old 01-01-2012   #73
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 25589 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So how did he replace those players?

I think he spent the majority of his capital on the defensive side of the ball, & made an offense with bits & pieces he found here & there.

I think if he were able to acquire talent on offense similar to what he has on defense, this offense would be scary.

I'd still like to see what he does this year before I make the decision. I don't think Kubiak can take us to the AFC Championship game unless he is a good head coach. Whether the defense wins the game or the offense, you're not getting to the AFC Championship game without a good head coach.
All fair points, but when it comes down to it, my post wasn't really anti-kubiak, as I highlighted, just I think there is an opportunity to make sure he understands that he has to improve again next year rather than extend him now only for him to relax, one question, what is kubiak's record as a head coach the year following his signing a new contract? From a sample size of 2, it's 6-10 both times, whats his record been every time his contract has been 1 year away from ending at seasons end? 9-7 & 10-5. Albert Haynsworth has similar production preceeding and immediately after a contract year. Only winding you up on that last bit mate
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read