Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: If Aj & Schaub were healthy all year, where was our ceiling
Super Bowl Champs? 51 57.30%
AFC Champs? 20 22.47%
AFC Championship Appearance? 15 16.85%
One & Done? 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011   #21
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub & Andre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Maybe I'm full homer mode, but I think this team could compete with anyone if everyone was healthy.

The Packers are impressive, but their defense is suspect. They lost to the Chiefs!

We could win in a shoot out, simply because our defense would at least give GB hell. And I think the Texans offense would match up well against GB's defense. They do not have enough playmakers to cover AJ, Daniels, and Foster.

Based upon TK's premise, I went full Super Bowl champs as a ceiling. I think the Schaub/AJ connection has the potential to be as good as any other QB/WR combo out there, and combined with a running game and great defense, why not dream big?
Freakin' homer!!

J/K DB.
Old 12-29-2011   #22
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Freakin' homer!!

J/K DB.
Welllll, you know me...

Old 12-29-2011   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If they had both stayed healthy all year, Where do you think our ceiling would've been?

Super Bowl?

AFC Championship game?

Divisional Play-off game?

Wild-Card?
pre-season I predicted 15-1 losing only to Pittsburgh. I thought both Schaub and AJ (as well as Brown & Foster) would go to probowl.
Old 12-29-2011   #24
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

no matter who was playing, beating any combination of new york, baltimore, pittsburgh, new england, green bay, and new orleans was going to be a tough road.. assuming we would be superbowl champs is kinda foolish. matt schaub hasnt played a single playoff game in his career yet people are assuming a healthy schaubers equals an instant super bowl champion.. emmmmmm yea..
Old 12-29-2011   #25
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
no matter who was playing, beating any combination of new york, baltimore, pittsburgh, new england, green bay, and new orleans was going to be a tough road.. assuming we would be superbowl champs is kinda foolish. matt schaub hasnt played a single playoff game in his career yet people are assuming a healthy schaubers equals an instant super bowl champion.. emmmmmm yea..
I don't think that's what the poll meant. Our ceiling with Schaub and AJ would be SB champs. Doesn't mean we would win it all, but the potential was there. No doubt about it. Now with TJ Yates, I think the best our team can do is win one game.

It's pretty evident with Yates at QB that Schaub means a great deal to this team. Many of us (including me) have ragged on him as our QB, but he knows how to run our offense. He's not an elite QB, but our team doesn't need an elite QB to win games. Not with Foster as our RB and a healthy Andre Johnson. I'm excited for the future of this team. Our offense needs some more help on the receiving end, but that should be fixed this offseason. We're VERY close to being one of the elite teams in the NFL. We got a taste of it this season before Schaub went down. Next year....oooo boy it's gonna be fun!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #26
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected

I have said on here many times that we finally put a bad @ss defense together with an explosivr offense and these injuries hit us. I was crushed.No question...No one ...I mean no one....would want to draw this team in the playoffs. We would be a Super Bowl threat to be sure.

I hope we overachieve this year, but next year I believe we finally taste the Super Bowl.
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #27
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's that got to do with anything?

Are you saying all starting QBs lost in their first playoff appearance? I think history shows otherwise. Flacco won two playoff games in his rookie year. So did Sanchez.

And I'll put Schaub's ability to score in our offense up against their proficiency when they won those games. And our defense, now, is rated as highly as the defenses of those respective teams. I would venture to say our running game is as good, maybe better, than those teams had.

New York, Baltimore, Pittsburgh are all suspect this season for various reasons. Rex's trash talking is catching up to him and Sanchez is inconsistent - to put it politely. Baltimore has shown to be vunerable on the road and Flacco ain't all that either. Who knows how effective Pittsburgh will be with a gimpy Roethlisberger.

With Wade bringing the heat with his defense, Foster & Tate running effectively, and with 8-to-80 being a deep threat at any time, I like our chances against anyone.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2011   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I don't think that's what the poll meant. Our ceiling with Schaub and AJ would be SB champs. Doesn't mean we would win it all, but the potential was there. No doubt about it. Now with TJ Yates, I think the best our team can do is win one game.
Exactly..... & it's not like Aaron Rogers had a plethora of play-off experience prior to winning it all.
Old 12-30-2011   #29
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I think people are forgetting that this year's version of Matt Schaub wasn't the '09 and '10 versions we saw.
It was the real Matt. The illusion was that he had two years of unlikely success. Most of which has to be attibuted to receivers making spectacular catches to compensate for his lack of accuracy. Where are we with Andre and Barbie healthy all season? Same place we are now ... in the playoffs. Drink the Yateraide, or at least hope for one more spectacular show from Jake in Reliant. Either way we are going to the second round.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #30
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

What if ......

I guess I'll go with Super Bowl because:

A) the Texans always win theoretical games that will never be played; to suggest otherwise is just bad form.
B) this is basically a mental masturbation thread so one may as well go for the gusto.

However, if all teams get the injury-free magic bullet, the Texans may not even make it out of their division. As much talk as there is that the Texans "own" the Dolphins and Raiders (oops, scratch the latter), if the Texans's collective butt was checked for proof of ownership a big blue horseshoe would probably be found.
Old 12-30-2011   #31
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
It was the real Matt. The illusion was that he had two years of unlikely success. Most of which has to be attibuted to receivers making spectacular catches to compensate for his lack of accuracy. Where are we with Andre and Barbie healthy all season? Same place we are now ... in the playoffs. Drink the Yateraide, or at least hope for one more spectacular show from Jake in Reliant. Either way we are going to the second round.
Go back and look at all of our games without AJ, and look at Schaubs numbers.
Old 12-30-2011   #32
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 213051 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Illusions cannot be sustained for two+ seasons. Before his season was ended by that beached whale, Schaub was averaging 247.9 yds/game and had a 96.8 QB rating; 37 plays over 20 yds and 9 over 40. He's one of five QBs with a first down percentage rate of 40% or better - the other four guys are named Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, and Brees.

Now of course I'm going to hope that Yates gets it together over the next month. Everyone is. That's not the question here.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011   #33
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 101315 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Lets see here.

With AJ and Schaub

WK 1 - Schaub - 202 yards 1 TD
WK 2 - Schaub - 230 yards 2 TD
WK 3 - Schaub - 373 yards 3 TD
WK 4 - Schaub - 138 yards 1 TD

TOTAL 943 yards 7 TDs

WITHOUT AJ

WK 5 - Schaub - 416 yards 2 TD
WK 6 - Schaub - 220 yards 1 TD
WK 7 - Schaub - 296 yards 2 TD
WK 8 - Schaub - 225 yards 1 TD

TOTAL 1157 6 TDs

so i dont think u have much of an argument that Schaub is ONLY good cause of AJ, and amazing catches, cause we all know that after AJ we dont exactly have a top notch receiving core.
Old 12-30-2011   #34
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Illusions cannot be sustained for two+ seasons.
The 2008 season wasn't bad either... also cut short by injury.
Old 12-30-2011   #35
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

the people that want to believe matt schaub is a superbowl qb, will continue to believe that.. again schaubs numbers are impressive, everythings fine when we have big leads and can keep schaubs comfort level high.. but the playoffs are a different animal, we werent going to be blowing out teams and the defense wasnt going to be keeping top offenses to 7-10 points.. close games against good/great teams, possibly on the road, these are the games historically matt schaub gives away..
Old 12-30-2011   #36
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
the people that want to believe matt schaub is a superbowl qb, will continue to believe that.. again schaubs numbers are impressive, everythings fine when we have big leads and can keep schaubs comfort level high.. but the playoffs are a different animal, we werent going to be blowing out teams and the defense wasnt going to be keeping top offenses to 7-10 points.. close games against good/great teams, possibly on the road, these are the games historically matt schaub gives away..
if u are referring to last year you mean games the defense gave away, i dont know how many times you expect Schaub to mount a game winning drive again and again after he had already done it and the D let the other team score at will.
Old 12-30-2011   #37
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
if u are referring to last year you mean games the defense gave away, i dont know how many times you expect Schaub to mount a game winning drive again and again after he had already done it and the D let the other team score at will.
I agree with you for the most part. I think Schaub can get us to the Super Bowl & win it on this team. But we won't find out this year, so we'll just have to wait & see.

However, to your point, All of the great teams at one time or another will have to put together a game winning drive sooner or later. Matt had plenty of opportunities last year & failed just as often as our defense had... well, maybe not just as often. But we don't see Rogers or Brady complaining about the Defense forcing them to have to do it again & again & again.... it's almost as if they thrive on it.
Old 12-30-2011   #38
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree with you for the most part. I think Schaub can get us to the Super Bowl & win it on this team. But we won't find out this year, so we'll just have to wait & see.

However, to your point, All of the great teams at one time or another will have to put together a game winning drive sooner or later. Matt had plenty of opportunities last year & failed just as often as our defense had... well, maybe not just as often. But we don't see Rogers or Brady complaining about the Defense forcing them to have to do it again & again & again.... it's almost as if they thrive on it.
ok lets take a look

Redskins

2 drives of 70 yards in the last 17 minutes of the game

1st 6 plays 78 yards. 6 yard TD pass to K. Walter from Schaub

2nd 8 plays 81 yards 34 yard TD pass to A. Johnson from Schaub

Chiefs WE won 35-31

Game winning drive

9 plays 80 yards 11 yard TD pass to A. Johnson

Jacksonville We LOST 24-31

Schaub took us 80 yards in 5 plays to tie the game on a 18 yard TD pass to Walter

only to have the give up the game on 2 plays of 66 yards with 8 seconds left.

Jets game we LOST

Schaub started the come back with a 43 yard TD pass to Dreesen

then he took us down the field in 7 plays for 73 yards for a foster 1 yd TD.

Rackers added one field goal to take the lead.

only for the defense to give up 72 yards in 5 plays and give up the lead.

Ravens we LOST 34-28

down by 28-14 in the 4th quarter schaub takes us down the field for 2 scoring drives

1st 15 plays for 99 yards, 7 yard TD to J. Jones from Schaub

2nd 12 plays 95 yards, 5 yard TD pass to A. Johnson from Schaub

He did throw an int in OT, but did he or did he not bring us back ?

It appears to me the defense let him down more often than not, and here is total point total to show we could score but the D limited us

here is the total points the defense gave up

Now it is hard to ask any QB to try to always come back and win all those games with that kind of defensive support. I can go into 2009 as well if u'd like.
Old 12-30-2011   #39
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

You didn't offer the choice of advancing past the Wild Card game but losing in the Division game before advancing to the AFC Title game.

That's what I would have voted for. I don't see us in the Conference title game so I checked one and done.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011   #40
Atl Cav
Veteran

Rep Power: 2751 Atl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respectedAtl Cav is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
What's that got to do with anything?

Are you saying all starting QBs lost in their first playoff appearance? I think history shows otherwise. Flacco won two playoff games in his rookie year. So did Sanchez.

And I'll put Schaub's ability to score in our offense up against their proficiency when they won those games. And our defense, now, is rated as highly as the defenses of those respective teams. I would venture to say our running game is as good, maybe better, than those teams had.

New York, Baltimore, Pittsburgh are all suspect this season for various reasons. Rex's trash talking is catching up to him and Sanchez is inconsistent - to put it politely. Baltimore has shown to be vunerable on the road and Flacco ain't all that either. Who knows how effective Pittsburgh will be with a gimpy Roethlisberger.

With Wade bringing the heat with his defense, Foster & Tate running effectively, and with 8-to-80 being a deep threat at any time, I like our chances against anyone.
Well said, Obi.

How many first time playoff QB's have slung it so consistently well for years.
Atl Cav is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read