Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Do You Care if Players Use Performance-Enhancing Drugs?
They should NOT be allowed to use them. 24 45.28%
They should be allowed. 10 18.87%
If they were 100% legal to use, I wouldn't mind. 14 26.42%
I have no opinion on the subject. 5 9.43%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2011   #1
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do You Care if Players Use "Performance-Enhancing" Drugs?

Just wanted to throw a poll out there to see what everyone thinks. This can be a hot button issue so I don't want to stir any pots, but my question is: Does it matter to you if players use things like steroids or HGH? If so, why? Are there any reasons to you other than these guys are role models for kids?

Personally, I don't care if they do. It really doesn't matter to me, nor do I feel that it "tarnishes" the legacies of past players that didn't use. Accomplishments of the past are great and should always be remembered, but with time comes rule changes (for any sport but baseball, I guess) and that will inevitably mean past records will be broken regardless. Quite frankly, it's fun to watch guys chase for history, and I'm not concerned with what someone does with their body. To me, it doesn't tarnish the game.

What does everyone else think? I am sure I am in the minority here, but I would like to hear everyones opinion. If you would like for arguments sake, let's pretend that the use of these drugs was entirely legal, would that change your opinion? Personally, the use of pain killing injections, gloves to help catch footballs, hell even today's helmets, pads, cleats, and even turf are "performance-enhancing" compared to years past.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #2
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 9100 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do You Care if Players Use "Performance-Enhancing" Drugs?

A. Rodgers, D. Brees, T. Brady, etc. already have PED's..

They wear black and white and are called refs.

Last edited by Section516; 12-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Section516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

The Steel Curtain was great because of P.E.D.s. I truly believe that the Oilers would have went to a Super Bowl if the entire Steelers defense wasn't juiced up out of their minds.
Old 12-27-2011   #4
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

NO. Players have already broken records years ago without them.
Old 12-27-2011   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 241209 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I voted NO, and here's why:

1.) Uneven playing field - if everyone used them, then that puts everyone on a roughly level playing field. However, by making it OK to use PEDs, you're essentially forcing those who don't want to use them to do so. You're making the good guys taint their bodies. The reason that is important is ...

2.) Long-term health ramifications - Steroids wreck your body. Sure, they have things other than steroids now, but the long-term ramifications of those are not well known yet. hGH is HUMAN growth hormone, but there's a reason your body doesn't produce it in those quantities. Plus, the human body produces all sorts of things that are harmful at high concentrations. Perhaps most importantly is the impact PED use would have on post-career health care demands. Players are already clamoring for post-career concessions and payments, so why make it worse? Also, if everyone is taking PEDs, then collisions are going to be even worse, which leads to more concussions. That means the NFL eventually takes hitting completely out of the game, at least for certain positions. Part of the reason we've seen so many lame rules is because players are just a helluva lot bigger and faster now, and that's due to PEDs. OK, some of them are legal PEDs (supplements), but it's changing the face of the game.

I don't much care about the records, as long as context is observed when engaged in such discussions (HOF?), but the impact they have upon the rules of the game is critical, IMO.
Old 12-27-2011   #6
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94101 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

They shouldn't be allowed to use them imo b/c part of being elite enough to play ball on that level is b/c god blessed you with attributes to be able to do so. You as the athlete have to refine those attributes through hard work & determination. using PED's allows for guys (& gals) to take the easy way out thereby cheapening the process & what it takes to get there.

All leagues just need to get together & come to terms on a universal testing policy that's stringent enough to deter the use of PED's & one that has the ability to keep the gap between the cheater & the curve relatively the same in the future............ b/c we all know the cheater is always ahead of the curve.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34423 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I voted NO, and here's why:

1.) Uneven playing field - if everyone used them, then that puts everyone on a roughly level playing field. However, by making it OK to use PEDs, you're essentially forcing those who don't want to use them to do so. You're making the good guys taint their bodies. The reason that is important is ...

2.) Long-term health ramifications - Steroids wreck your body. Sure, they have things other than steroids now, but the long-term ramifications of those are not well known yet. hGH is HUMAN growth hormone, but there's a reason your body doesn't produce it in those quantities. Plus, the human body produces all sorts of things that are harmful at high concentrations. Perhaps most importantly is the impact PED use would have on post-career health care demands. Players are already clamoring for post-career concessions and payments, so why make it worse? Also, if everyone is taking PEDs, then collisions are going to be even worse, which leads to more concussions. That means the NFL eventually takes hitting completely out of the game, at least for certain positions. Part of the reason we've seen so many lame rules is because players are just a helluva lot bigger and faster now, and that's due to PEDs. OK, some of them are legal PEDs (supplements), but it's changing the face of the game.

I don't much care about the records, as long as context is observed when engaged in such discussions (HOF?), but the impact they have upon the rules of the game is critical, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
They shouldn't be allowed to use them imo b/c part of being elite enough to play ball on that level is b/c god blessed you with attributes to be able to do so. You as the athlete have to refine those attributes through hard work & determination. using PED's allows for guys (& gals) to take the easy way out thereby cheapening the process & what it takes to get there.

All leagues just need to get together & come to terms on a universal testing policy that's stringent enough to deter the use of PED's & one that has the ability to keep the gap between the cheater & the curve relatively the same in the future............ b/c we all know the cheater is always ahead of the curve.
These two.
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2011   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted that they should be able to use them.

The biggest problem with steroids and other performance enhancing drugs is that guys use them without proper supervision. You get a bunch of athletes who have absolutely no idea what they're putting into their body following a bunch of voodoo hypotheses that they get from people who don't really know.

That's why you get someone like Cush taking HCG because he's heard it's a great way to lose fat without losing muscle and he doesn't have a physician to go to and get some real information.

Athletes, even athletes who don't make a lot of money, are going to do whatever it takes to get an edge on their competition. That means that a lot of them are going to take a lot of supplements and drugs that really have no proven performance enhancement and they're going to damage themselves. I firmly believe that Walter Payton died not because of a "genetic" condition but from a steroid abuse condition that looks like a "genetic" condition.

If athletes are allowed to take these sorts of things with physician's supervision, this will allow us to study the long-term effects of drugs and compounds that we currently have no information on. This gives us a great way to develop better therapies and better drugs that will help not just elite athletes but also regular people.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Why anyone would vote a yes to a question where the result would be to force every athlete that has aspirations for being a pro football player to take and use harmful substances that will have negative effects on their body is beyond me.

If you vote yes on this, than everyone would have to take PED's and when and where do the PED's ever stop?? Athletes are supposed to be training and competing on fair levels with their natural abilities. That's what the celebration of sports champions is and has always been about. Celebrating the greatness of these natural athletes. Forcing every pro athlete to take PED's to be a pro athlete is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard someone advocate for as far as someone's career goes in any field.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #10
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why anyone would vote a yes to a question where the result would be to force every athlete that has aspirations for being a pro football player to take and use harmful substances that will have negative effects on their body is beyond me.

If you vote yes on this, than everyone would have to take PED's and when and where do the PED's ever stop?? Athletes are supposed to be training and competing on fair levels with their natural abilities. That's what the celebration of sports champions is and has always been about. Celebrating the greatness of these natural athletes. Forcing every pro athlete to take PED's to be a pro athlete is one of the most disgusting things I've ever heard someone advocate for as far as someone's career goes in any field.
I voted yes. My reasoning is because PEDs are already taking place, it is just under the guise of something else, for example, pain-killing injections. There is no argument that can disprove the fact that athletes who are able to take painkillers before and during games these days are able to perform at a "higher" level than athletes of the past. The pain killer improves the athletes ability to perform, and it is allowed.

I disagree with the idea that just because a few take them every else "has to". Would they feel pressure to? Sure. But nobody would force them to. PEDs may give you the ability to throw the ball farther or hit someone harder, but it won't make them throw the ball more accurately or be able to tackle more fundamentally. PEDs aren't magic drugs that instantly make players Hall of Famers, and I would venture the guess that more players who use PEDs are fringe players trying to stay in the league rather than players who are wildly successful.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #11
burro
almost sentient

Section: on the couch, praying for a broadcast
Rep Power: 5047 burro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respectedburro is a quality contributor and well respected

As with other drug use, I don't feel like it's any of my personal business. If the league wants to do something about, far be it from me to judge what they decide to be best. Short version: I don't think it's a matter for congress, but if the league decides to act, it's their business.
Old 12-27-2011   #12
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If it's legal, why not?
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If you vote yes on this, than everyone would have to take PED's and when and where do the PED's ever stop??
From everything I've heard from professional athletes and coaches in several sports is that everyone is already taking them. The problem is that since they're not legal, people are taking risks without even realizing it.

By voting "no", you're basically telling all the athletes to keep doing what they're doing and to do it without proper medical supervision that could keep them from damaging themselves. Heck, if you're a competitive athlete, you can't even take most over the counter cold and flu medications.
Old 12-27-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

The players will be almost forced to take them to match the others.
Old 12-27-2011   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
If it's legal, why not?
There are tons of legal, over the counter medications that cause positive readings for performance enhancing drugs. AND there are some over the counter medications that can be used to enhance performance.

The most famous and easiest to put together was the old ECA stack. You take a couple of Primatene tablets (ephedrine), a "Stay Awake" (caffeine) tablet, and a children's aspirin. You could train harder and longer and your body burned more fat. Totally legal but a PED and banned in most athletic federations.
Old 12-27-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
The players will be almost forced to take them to match the others.
Why do you think they're not ALREADY forced to take them to keep up with the other athletes?
Old 12-27-2011   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted that they should not be allowed to use them.

Of course having said that I must confess that I've been waiting decades to see this
Old 12-27-2011   #18
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section516 View Post
A. Rodgers, D. Brees, T. Brady, etc. already have PED's..

They wear black and white and are called refs.
You failed to mention Manning. While he's been out all season, the refs feel it necessary to continue their policy with the Colts, even for Painter or whatever scrub they throw back there.

Signed,

JJ WATT
Old 12-27-2011   #19
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Why do you think they're not ALREADY forced to take them to keep up with the other athletes?
How do you know they all use them? And, why not just do it with what God has given to them? JMHO.
Old 12-27-2011   #20
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 52676 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
If it's legal, why not?
Because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read