Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2011   #21
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post

It really tickes me off to read "this is just a meaningless game" sort of crap. NO!!!!!! It is NOT a meaningless game! Playing for pride, and closing out the season with a sweep over the hated Titans IS a game with meaning!!
I can understand your frustration of paying for a ticket to game that the end result has no bearing on the postseason. But this team is past playing for pride. They're in the tournament. They're playing for a ring. And they need to do what's best for the team to accomplish that goal. If it means sitting starters, then you sit starters. I've given Kubiak a lot of grief over the past few years. But I will defend him to the utmost against criticisms of how he handles this game.
Old 12-26-2011   #22
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiaks top Priority Sunday: Beat Titans or rest Starters for W-C Playoff game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Here's the problem with that. The players know this game is meaningless in regards to the playoffs. Kubiak can't play mind games and convince them otherwise. The starters will be concerned about injury. The reserves will actually play harder, knowing this is a chance for them ti shine on tape. The Texans best chance of winning this game might be with the backups.
Agree with all of these points, plus when Lucky jogged our memories about the "season-ending" injury @ Reliant a couple years ago to the Patriots Welker. Can you just imagine the heat Kubiak would take if a really key player like Andre, or Jonahan Joseph, or Duane Brown blew out a knee in the second-half of this weekends meaningless game ? And how badly his team would miss that player a week later in it's first playoff game, the most meaningful game the franchise will have played to that point in its history ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #23
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I can understand your frustration of paying for a ticket to game that the end result has no bearing on the postseason. But this team is past playing for pride. They're in the tournament. They're playing for a ring. And they need to do what's best for the team to accomplish that goal. If it means sitting starters, then you sit starters. I've given Kubiak a lot of grief over the past few years. But I will defend him to the utmost against criticisms of how he handles this game.
You can't bench everybody. Rosters aren't big enough for that. That being said, I'm curious on how you feel about Yates? Should he play or should he be shelved?
Old 12-26-2011   #24
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 100129 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I am in the play to win the game camp for sure. You don't want a 3 game losing streak going into the playoffs. However that being said I would not mind seeing Delhomme get some 4th QTR time just to see how he looks and to give him some reps in case the worst happens in the playoffs.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #25
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Never and I repeat ever, let a Bud Adams team ever win anything.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #26
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wait!!! I thought that scheduling division games at the end of the season was supposed to stop all of this resting players stuff?

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #27
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Wait!!! I thought that scheduling division games at the end of the season was supposed to stop all of this resting players stuff?
We are in the position to rest our players/reduce their exposure to injury because we've already clinched a playoff game, while the Titans don't have that luxury because they are still scrambling for a playoff spot. Why on earth would we not want to take advantage of this opportunity ? If Kubiak doesn't take this approach to the game, he should be heavily critisized for not doing so.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2011   #28
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see a balanced approach to the starters playing time in this game. A guy like Cushing who has played a really tough season and is 'beat up' after having the most playing time of our LB's? Rest him.

If you have a guy like Yates who needs the PT to improve on his game, play him.

I could go into detail about which players I'd like to see rested etc but in reality, we don't ever get told an awful lot about which players are feeling the most sore etc throughout the season.

I'd certainly like to see Derrick Ward get the lions share of the carries, I'd like to see a bit of playing time for our O-line backups who have extremely limited experience. Andre, if ready, should be given some limited game time to get back into the flow.

I don't agree with the comments from those who want Tenn out of the playoffs, for me, its difficult to see a more preferrable first round game for the Texans than if they get in, especially if their film of us from the previous week is ruined by depth players who are running our schemes less efficiently than our starters would.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #29
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 63539 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
We are in the position to rest our players/reduce their exposure to injury because we've already clinched a playoff game, while the Titans don't have that luxury because they are still scrambling for a playoff spot. Why on earth would we not want to take advantage of this opportunity ? If Kubiak doesn't take this approach to the game, he should be heavily critisized for not doing so.
Yes, I realize that. My point was to all those folks who were in favor of all division games at the end because they thought it would stop the resting players for the last games of the regular season, when it actually doesn't freaking matter. No matter who is on your schedule at the end, if you have things wrapped up as far as playoffs, seeding, etc, teams will rest players. Nothing you can do to the schedule to changed that.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
You can't bench everybody. Rosters aren't big enough for that. That being said, I'm curious on how you feel about Yates? Should he play or should he be shelved?
Is Yates healthy? If not 100%, then he should sit. If healthy, he should play a few drives in the 1st half with the o-line starters. Maybe a 2 minute drill. Then let Jake get the remaining snaps.
Old 12-26-2011   #31
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I think they should limit Foster for sure, he missed 3 games this year and is still among the league leaders in rushing attempts, get him rested for playoffs. Don't even consider playing Andre imo. Keep Yates out there 60 minutes, he needs all the reps he can get.
Old 12-26-2011   #32
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I would hope the coaching staff has a pretty good idea of which players are feeling good and which could use some extra rest. I think each starter should see a few less snaps then normal, but still play most of the game. If they think a certain player will benefit from more rest then they should rest him.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #33
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

The way they have been playing the last two weeks no one deserves to sit down. Maybe keep track of Cushing and Watts number of plays but the rest of them should go all game. Also Foster earned some time off for his play.
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #34
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 38102 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

The Giants didn't need the final game of the season against the Patriots,
but played like they did. I need to see the same out of the Texans come
Sunday.
Old 12-26-2011   #35
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 33080 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Sorry, play for the win and let the cards fall as they may. If the titans win I don't want to see this scenario.

If Balt beats Cin, Jets beat Mia and Tenny beats us we play Tenny

Balt is likely to beat the jets.
Jets are likely to beat Miami.

Beat the titans and get it over with, cause the last thing I want to see is us against the titans and they knock us out of the first round of playoffs..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #36
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Yes, I realize that. My point was to all those folks who were in favor of all division games at the end because they thought it would stop the resting players for the last games of the regular season, when it actually doesn't freaking matter. No matter who is on your schedule at the end, if you have things wrapped up as far as playoffs, seeding, etc, teams will rest players. Nothing you can do to the schedule to changed that.
The point is that by having the divisional games at the end of the regular season teams are slightly less likely to have things all wrapped up, as the divisional matchups are what in soccer is known as a '6 pointer' (there is a 2 game swing between the possible results) and therefore more likely to still have some relevence.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #37
htowntexans1985
1st Round Pick

Rep Power: 12818 htowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtowntexans1985 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post
Sorry, play for the win and let the cards fall as they may. If the titans win I don't want to see this scenario.

If Balt beats Cin, Jets beat Mia and Tenny beats us we play Tenny

Balt is likely to beat the jets.
Jets are likely to beat Miami.

Beat the titans and get it over with, cause the last thing I want to see is us against the titans and they knock us out of the first round of playoffs..
^^^this. Might as well start knocking teams out of playoff contention now. Too many times have teams not play to win only to get knocked out the following week by the same team!. Hammer them Tacks!
htowntexans1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #38
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrhand View Post

The Titans would be my preferred team to face in the playoffs. Prep would be that much easier. Tennessee wouldn't be able to rest starters, as they are in a must win game. And the Titans have less talent across the board than the Bengals, Jets, or Raiders.
Old 12-26-2011   #39
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
To me it's a no-brainer in what is now a basically a meaningless game from the Texans perspective - pull the starters early, sometime in the first half, so they are reasonable fresh for the big playoff game the next Sunday in Reliant. Plus the less they are on the field the less likely they get injured in a game which means nothing to us.
i have seen it WAY to often, a team restes there starters and it throws them off in the play-offs for some reason, hell we have already lost 90% of the star players on our team, how much worse could it get.
Old 12-26-2011   #40
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
i have seen it WAY to often, a team restes there starters and it throws them off in the play-offs for some reason
Only 2 teams a year make it to the Super Bowl. And more than that rest starters after clinching. That doesn't mean those that don't make it were thrown off. The Saints lost their final 3 games of the regular season before sweeping the playoffs and picking up the Lombardi trophy.

The '08 Cards started hot at 7-3, clinched early, and limped to the finish with a 9-7 mark. Then, went on a cinderella run in the playoffs, losing a nailbiter in the Super Bowl. Any momentum gained at the end of the season is overrated. Having as many players as healthy and fresh as possible is not overrated. Wanting to sell out to beat a rival makes zero sense in the grand scheme.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read