Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2011   #21
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Let's lock Gary up for another 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Oh.

I thought you were talking what Wade Phillips had done with the assembled talent or the talent that Rick Smith had assembled.

I'm with you now.

type slower next time so I can understand
Get on page man... this train ain't slowin down.

& I'd appreciate it if you'd stop pointing out my screw ups... I'm not Kubiak, I can't take it.
Old 12-26-2011   #22
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
If for no other reason but to make some people really mad for a long time.

What say you?
LOL Signed!! Would sort the wheat from the chaff quick like!
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #23
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 37204 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let's take a look at exactly what Gary has done to this team.

Brian Cushing (1st Round Pick)
Demeco Ryans (2nd Round Pick)
Mario Williams (1st Round Pick)
Kareem Jackson (1st Round Pick)
Connor Barwin (2nd Round Pick)
JJ Watt (1st Round Pick)
Brooks Reed (2nd Round Pick)
Glover Quin (3rd Round Pick)
Troy Nolan (7th Round Pick)

Antonio Smith (FA Acquisition)
Shuan Cody (FA Acquisition - Detroit 2nd round pick)
Jonathan Joseph (FA Acquisition - Cincinnati 1st Round pick)
Danieal Manning (FA Acquisition - Chicago 2nd Round pick)
Quinton Demps (FA Acquisition)
While investing the majority of his 1st day picks & FA dollars on defense he has managed to put together a top 10 offense. Now that Wade Phillips has shown what can be done with the Talent that this organization has shown a willingness to go out & get, I think the job is a lot more attractive than what it used to be.

We might be able to entice a Del Rio (if he isn't offered a HC job) or a Nolan, Williams, Zimmer (may be available soon) to the job where before we were limited to friends of Gary.

While I am not ready to give Gary an extension on his contract, nor am I willing to say he is a good head coach, to say the guy is completely worthless as a HC (imo) is premature.

6 years... yeah, I know 6 years.

He took a broken expansion team to its first non-losing season in his 2nd season here. He then took that team to a winning season in 4 (total, 2 from the first non losing season) a record good enough to get to the play-offs had two teams not laid down for the Jets. Now 6 years total (2 from our first winning season) we are division champs in a division where there is a second team fighting for a wild-card, just like the AFC East.

All this, with undrafted players, low grade FA acquisitions, and a few 1st day picks on offense. & a 30th ranked defense most of the time.

If we ever get to the point where we can invest in our offense the way we have our defense, I think it's possible that we'll be a "dynasty" type team.

Rick Smith don't get no credit? ALL his glory goes to Kubiak? Sheesh. This post
reads like the return of the criminally myopic TK I burned keyboards arguing with
over the years.

Last edited by DexmanC; 12-27-2011 at 03:52 PM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #24
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hey, it only took SIX drafts to acquire that talent...

That's 9 players out of 42 chosen, btw.
Old 12-27-2011   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

That's not the point. The point is that he has been able to cobble together a top 10 offense while defering his draft picks & FA dollars on defense.
Old 12-27-2011   #26
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What say you?
I like it.. If for no other reason to get under the skin of a lot posters.
Old 12-27-2011   #27
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 112599 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

21% is pretty good compared to most teams, no? You cynic you!
Old 12-27-2011   #28
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 8094 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

What say you?
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
Yeah, that's the way I feel with all these, "anti-Kubiak" threads. He's trying to win us a Super Bowl.

Big deal, we lost to the Colts. A division opponent, regardless their record we're going to get their best game. "The game plan was too conservative..... " yeah, that was the same game plan that scored 37 points against the Bucs....... with Matt Schaub.

Then to say our boys came out flat.... them boys on Kirby played a damn good game. Some things went our way, some things didn't. But they played their asses off & I take offense to anyone who says different.
Old 12-28-2011   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I say no.
...if we lock up Gary...

...who will be the board's babe magnet...??

....Texan Bill?!?

chile please....
I'll....

....do it!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #31
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, that's the way I feel with all these, "anti-Kubiak" threads. He's trying to win us a Super Bowl.

Big deal, we lost to the Colts. A division opponent, regardless their record we're going to get their best game. "The game plan was too conservative..... " yeah, that was the same game plan that scored 37 points against the Bucs....... with Matt Schaub.

Then to say our boys came out flat.... them boys on Kirby played a damn good game. Some things went our way, some things didn't. But they played their asses off & I take offense to anyone who says different.
Damn.
MSR
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
21% is pretty good compared to most teams, no? You cynic you!
lol! I have to wonder how that 21% compares to elite teams and how it compares to perpetually mediocre teams. I'm too lazy to look it up, though.

Quote:
That's Captain Obvious stuff, TK. EVERY HEAD COACH IN EXISTENCE had the exact same goal as Kubiak. 31 other current head coaches are trying to win their teams a Super Bowl, too.

I do not understand why his goal - that of ALL head coaches - somehow elevates him above any critical analysis.

Quote:
This same team beat the Falcons and Bengals, so they are capable of much, much more than losing to a 1 win team.

It is a big deal when a division winner comes out looking like versions of last year's team. They got outplayed by Dan freakin' Orlavsky, for crying out loud!

And you don't think it's a big deal to get beaten by a 1 win team as they prepare for the playoffs???

That you got repped for this post is amazing. I need what ObsiWan and you are smoking so I can feel the same "who gives a crap" attitude about losing to a garbage team that the Texans should have dominated. I seem to have unrealistic expectations for this team, and perhaps getting high is a good way to alleviate those pesky feelings of disappointment and disgust at losing to the Colts (again).

Quote:
Then take offense to me. They looked like crap. With the exception of some individual performances, the team - both players and coaches - got their butts handed to them by a 1 win Colts team lead by our rejected former backup QB.

That's pathetic (to me), and if I was one to choose to be offended by irrelevant nonsense, that game might be the thing I allow to offend me.
Old 12-28-2011   #33
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
That's Captain Obvious stuff, TK. EVERY HEAD COACH IN EXISTENCE had the exact same goal as Kubiak. 31 other current head coaches are trying to win their teams a Super Bowl, too.

I do not understand why his goal - that of ALL head coaches - somehow elevates him above any critical analysis.
You misunderstood my point. It's not that his goal is different than every other coach.

I'm seeing a process here. The offense has been pretty poor since Tj took over. We won against Atlanta, we won against Cincy. But after we had a play-off spot locked up, it was time to slow it down & work on our game, to start getting back to Texans football.

Carolina & Indy, those games were to prepare us for the play-offs, not seeding. Weigh it how you want, I think it's more important for us to get back to good football than it is to get the bye week.

But that's just me.
Quote:
This same team beat the Falcons and Bengals, so they are capable of much, much more than losing to a 1 win team.

It is a big deal when a division winner comes out looking like versions of last year's team. They got outplayed by Dan freakin' Orlavsky, for crying out loud!
At no time did Orlovsky outplay our defense. He had some things go well for him on that last drive, but other than that he did nothing.

I wish this team looked like that last year.
Quote:
And you don't think it's a big deal to get beaten by a 1 win team as they prepare for the playoffs???
Nope... if it helps us get to playing good football (which I think it does) I couldn't care less.

That was a preseason game to me.
Quote:
That you got repped for this post is amazing. I need what ObsiWan and you are smoking so I can feel the same "who gives a crap" attitude about losing to a garbage team that the Texans should have dominated. I seem to have unrealistic expectations for this team, and perhaps getting high is a good way to alleviate those pesky feelings of disappointment and disgust at losing to the Colts (again).
It's not that we don't give a crap. We just see these games differently than you do.

As ugly as the game was, it was a win until the last 1:56. Had that drive happened earlier in the game to put us down 2 scores (I know that score didn't put us down two scores) You'd have seen them play different. I have no doubt we would have overcame that poor drive.

But it happened at the end. Whether you agree with the calls on that last drive or not, we would have won that game if they weren't called. Again, I'm not blaming the refs, just saying if the defense played in a manner that those calls weren't made, it's a win.

I can understand being mad, but not at Kubiak, not for calling a "conservative" game. We led the entire way. Why take stupid chances?

Quote:
Then take offense to me.
I do.
Quote:
They looked like crap. With the exception of some individual performances, the team - both players and coaches - got their butts handed to them by a 1 win Colts team lead by our rejected former backup QB.
That's ridiculous. That's absurd. That's preposterous. Watch the High Lights..... you'd have thunk we won the game.

That was domination from every position save the QB spot. Had that been Matt Schaub running the same plays, we'd have scored 30.
Quote:
That's pathetic (to me), and if I was one to choose to be offended by irrelevant nonsense, that game might be the thing I allow to offend me.
That's fine. That's you. I just don't think you're looking at the big picture.

If you are expecting us to go into the play-offs looking like the Saints or the Packers, you're in for a helluva disappointment. We're going to look more like what you saw Thursday.
Old 12-28-2011   #34
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Kubes' goal should be to lose when we go to Indi to play the Colts.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #35
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
That's ridiculous. That's absurd. That's preposterous. Watch the High Lights..... you'd have thunk we won the game.

That was domination from every position save the QB spot. Had that been Matt Schaub running the same plays, we'd have scored 30.
We must have watched different games.

The one I watched the Texans could not convert a third down until a lucky bounce late in the fourth quarter.

They settled for FGs in the red zone.

The game I watched saw the Texans play sloppy and accumulate 11 penalties for 84 yards, many of them bailing the Colts out of trouble.

Our runnning game, working for three quarters, was shut down when needed the most in the 4th.

Dink and dunk David Carresque passing game.

Our defense could not make the stop when they had to make a stop.

You can CHOOSE to be offended all you want, but my advice is to CHOOSE to have thicker skin next time.

I will not accept this loss as status quo. That was a garbage performance from a team that we should all expect much, much more.
Old 12-28-2011   #36
Surreal McCoy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13529 Surreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respectedSurreal McCoy is a quality contributor and well respected

Been reading TK's posts for a long time. Don't always agree with him but he's one of few posters worthy of a guaranteed read no matter the thread.

This thread is, perhaps, one of his best in recent memory and it is a pleasure to read the many retorts to some of the tediously inane "arguments" proffered ad nauseam, not only here, but parroted across the Houston media landscape.

Wish I could rep him, but alas, "must spread rep..."
Surreal McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #37
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 99154 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope that you guys were happy with the results that have transpired. We're practically back to the 2-14 season under Capers and the 6-10 season from a few years ago. Kubiak really needed that big extension didn't he? Hopefully you guys are enjoying this, because I'm not.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #38
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I hope that you guys were happy with the results that have transpired. We're practically back to the 2-14 season under Capers and the 6-10 season from a few years ago. Kubiak really needed that big extension didn't he? Hopefully you guys are enjoying this, because I'm not.
There were sooooo many posts from past years saying that you couldn't replace Kubiak because the team would take "a step back" as a new coach retooled the roster and play books.

I prefer a step back when the other option is walking off of a cliff.
Old 11-11-2013   #39
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
There were sooooo many posts from past years saying that you couldn't replace Kubiak because the team would take "a step back" as a new coach retooled the roster and play books.

I prefer a step back when the other option is walking off of a cliff.
Right. Kubiak the 2 previous years was a product of Wade being forced upon him instead of a friend. Besides that I've seen nothing to show that he is even an adequate HC. He would make a prime OC somewhere but that is it. The end of last season and the playoffs showed the difference between top teams and wannabe teams with letter jackets.

Thunder...I'm convinced you are either trolling now or have some familial connection to McNair so you think just like him . Excuses.
Old 11-11-2013   #40
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Section: 140
Rep Power: 8759 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

Thunder has always been a huge supporter and HOMER of Kubiak and Schaub, always backing up mediocre talent. It's sickening I tell you.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read