Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-23-2011   #101
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Complete total a** rape by the officials

I couldn't get this out of my mind today but even Mike Mayock was talking about questionable calls (more than one) and I was kinda half joking (in my thoughts) about if he will be announcing games next year for the NFL Network... esp with a few comments about the refs

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011   #102
Air Canada
Veteran

Rep Power: 791 Air Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respectedAir Canada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I couldn't get this out of my mind today but even Mike Mayock was talking about questionable calls (more than one) and I was kinda half joking (in my thoughts) about if he will be announcing games next year for the NFL Network... esp with a few comments about the refs

^ ^ Mayock was all over that ish...
Air Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #103
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77804 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I absolutely hate this line of thinking. Sure the offense wasn't doing its job, and hasn't been since Schaub went down, but the defense was playing incredibly well the whole game. Limiting the Colts to 5 FG attempts and no TDs is great (aside from the BS one at the end). That last drive was complete bullshit. No way around it, the refs gave the Colts 8 shots at the end zone and they were bound to score on one of them..
I hate that thinking too. In fact, every time I see something like that brought up, I want to gather them and put them on a space rocket aimed at the sun.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #104
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh! Now lookee here what dropped out of my ass!
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #105
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

http://m.deadspin.com/5411686/last-n...e-jerome-boger
He hates Houston.
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #106
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Has there been any official news/statement from the league office or from the Texans regarding the "officiating" against the Colts? The Texans surely filed some sort of complaint with the league after that debacle.
Old 12-27-2011   #107
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3891 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak did send in reports on 6-7 flags from the game.
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-27-2011   #108
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Has there been any official news/statement from the league office or from the Texans regarding the "officiating" against the Colts? The Texans surely filed some sort of complaint with the league after that debacle.
Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Old 12-27-2011   #109
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
As far as I can remember, the only time there has been a public apology by the NFL concerning their refs is when the mistake was made on a touchdown play that definitively altered the result of a game. Since the rules have now come to require all touchdown plays (which may have been established to avoid such a scenario), the public may never again be "treated" to a public apology. Most likely, they will all be handled "internally" with possible answers given to team front offices under the requirement that the information is not shared.
Old 12-28-2011   #110
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 103671 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As far as I can remember, the only time there has been a public apology by the NFL concerning their refs is when the mistake was made on a touchdown play that definitively altered the result of a game. Since the rules have now come to require all touchdown plays (which may have been established to avoid such a scenario), the public may never again be "treated" to a public apology. Most likely, they will all be handled "internally" with possible answers given to team front offices under the requirement that the information is not shared.
I don't know if any of these would actually be classified as an "apology", but it hasn't been that rare to see the NFL admit blown calls (which is absolutely not to imply that they do it every time). Here's a few examples - all from this season:

Harper: NFL admits flag was wrong for hit on Cutler

NFL admits bad spot gave 49ers five free yards

NFL admits Marshall’s hit on Newton was legal

Also, while I didn't find anything to link to (nor did I try too hard), I remember it being reported that the NFL acknowledged that the pass that Arian Foster was ruled to have caught and fumbled in the Bengals game was never actually controlled - even though the ruling of a catch and a fumble was upheld via replay review.
Old 12-28-2011   #111
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not looking for an apology (although that would be a nice for a change) but some sort of acknowledgement from the NFL and the crew that mistakes were made.
Old 12-28-2011   #112
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Haven't posted since the loss but honestly I wasn't too beat up over it. We played like crap and got beat, we were a long shot to get a bye and honestly playing in the wild card round gives us a better (albeit still longshot) chance to win a playoff game.

But.... When I think about the ref throwing that flag on JJ Watt for his first roughing penalty it gets my blood boiling something awful. Still. 5 days later.
Old 12-28-2011   #113
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I don't know if any of these would actually be classified as an "apology", but it hasn't been that rare to see the NFL admit blown calls (which is absolutely not to imply that they do it every time). Here's a few examples - all from this season:

Also, while I didn't find anything to link to (nor did I try too hard), I remember it being reported that the NFL acknowledged that the pass that Arian Foster was ruled to have caught and fumbled in the Bengals game was never actually controlled - even though the ruling of a catch and a fumble was upheld via replay review.
Kellen Winslow's non touchdown pass with the Bucs.........cost the game.

The ultimate screw job when the refs miss FOUR critical scoring play calls........with replay review.:
Quote:
League admits to two touchdown errors in Sunday night game
PFT Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 25, 2010, 5:44 PM EST

Sunday night’s Vikings-Packers game contained enough layers and wrinkles to justify 100 different items.

The one that had the most impact on the outcome came from the inability of the officials patrolling the end zone to do their jobs properly, in real time and/or under the replay hood.

The availability of replay review is no substitute for getting it right in the first instance. On two separate occasions with scoring plays on the line, the officials got it wrong.

On the third occasion, referee Scott Green simply botched the replay review.

And all three calls worked against the team that lost by four points.

On the second play of the second quarter, a touchdown pass from Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers to tight end Andrew Quarless should have been ruled an incompletion. Quarless bobbled the ball after he landed out of bounds. (In the field of play, it’s OK to bobble the ball when hitting the ground as long as the ball doesn’t touch the ground. When landing out of bounds, possession must be maintained without bobbling. And, yes, these rules are indeed simple and clear.)

Though Vikings coach Brad Childress inexplicably failed to throw the challenge flag, the officials should be expected to be in position to see whether or not a pass is complete, especially in the end zone.

Later in the quarter, Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe made a diving catch in the end zone, after running back Adrian Peterson bought time for quarterback Brett Favre with a crushing block on a blitzing linebacker. Though the ball hit the ground, the ball never moved. The call on the field was correct.

NBC’s Al Michaels Cris Collinsworth agreed. As Collinsworth said during the broadcast, “Because he never lost control of the football, I’d be very surprised if this one gets overturned.”

Added Collinsworth: “But I’ve been surprised a few times in the past, too.”

The Packers challenged, and referee Scott Green took away the touchdown, explaining that Shiancoe had “used the ground to help make the catch.”

Whatever that means.

The league office apparently doesn’t understand, either. Per Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, coach Brad Childress said on Monday that the league office has informed him the call had been blown.

Then, on the final drive of the night, Vikings receiver Percy Harvin made a catch at the back of the end zone that appeared to give the Vikings a stirring come-from-behind win. In real time, it was obvious that Harvin couldn’t have gotten both feet down. But an official, who was right on top of the play, concluded that Harvin did, and the official called it a touchdown.

And so the Vikings offense, after celebrating the “oh my heavens!“-style win, had to process the fact that their jubilation was moot.

Yes, Green got it right when he went under the hood, but the Vikings never should have been permitted to even think that they had won the game. Though they’re all pros and they know they have to refocus and proceed, it’s far easier said than done in the heat of the moment.

Thus, while we prefer the coach Brad Childress not publicly whine about the officiating in a game in which he made his fair share of mistakes, he has the right to be at least quietly upset.

Vikings fans can choose to direct their anger at any one of five or six different culprits.

UPDATE: As a reader points out, there was another touchdown that incorrectly was awarded and then wiped off the board on replay review. The Vikings scored a touchdown on the next play, so it wasn’t as big deal.
Old 12-28-2011   #114
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 138542 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Oh! Now lookee here what dropped out of my ass!
Sorry Doc, MSR!! That's hilarious!!
Old 12-28-2011   #115
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. Maybe I wouldn't question anything right now because if we show the NFL and the world how wrong they are, they will make it up to us in the worse way during the playoffs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 286048 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Old 12-28-2011   #117
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 380289 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When Mike Perreira (sp?) was in charge of officiating he would pretty routinely admit mistakes in his NFLNetwork segment. I don't believe the teams are allowed to say anything about the NFL response to their submissions each week.

And yes we got screwed out of a win in that game. Played bad yes but the refs still gave the game away. Epically bad officiating.
Old 12-28-2011   #118
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 59017 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
Nick Scurfield is usually the one to report back what the NFL ruled on the calls. Best I remember it's only if someone asks him about it later in the week.
Old 12-28-2011   #119
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 145735 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
On a slightly different note.

Why does it feel like every time Watt touches the opposing QB it's a roughing call?

Is there some stat on this? I'm sure he has like 5 of them this year and none of them justified.
It's not just you. Watt (the poster boy of good living), gets more non-deserved roughing calls than anyone I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
There was nothing fixed about that game though. That's an excuse for losing. There was no call by the officials that was that bad. I hated those penalties at the end of the game, but the players were guilty of most of them.
The abundance of calls that extended drives and the worst final drive officiating I've seen in my lifetime can account for the loss all by itself. Yes, it would have been better to have more Offense, but we were screwed from the first snap. If you take Colts points off the board when they had drives EXTENDED due to bad calls, they lose before the final drive starts. "Most of them" isn't a high-enough standard. Either you're SURE, or you don't throw the flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
The game never should have been in position to allow the refs to have an influence on a two minute drive.
If it was only that two-minutes that was affected, I would agree. Yes, Kubes should have turned them loose and we'd be up by 16 at that point, but the refs went out of their way to make it difficult all night long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If the Texans would have won that game with the same calls by the officials in the Texans favor I highly doubt that people would be in here saying that the game was fixed for the Texans and that we didn't really win it.
Perhaps, but some of us would also be the first ones to admit that the refs handed it to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Canada View Post
The last drive was pathetic... Also peep this...

Jerome Boger did ref the game last night... He did Indy @ Tenn. week #8 Tenn. -9 beat Indy 27-10... Teams that have won with him the first game have lost the second game with him in the same season as teams that lost with him in the first game have won the second game in the same season..... It may be a coincidence, but it has happened every time since 2008.

A friend of mine said... "Shit was rigged, Vegas made a loooooot of money on that game..."

Three years of that huh? Lovely. Hope we don't get his crew for a rematch with the Steelers in the Playoffs.
Old 12-28-2011   #120
Dishman
Miss Ya Blue

Rep Power: 10496 Dishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respectedDishman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

Good post. Those links you posted prompted me to type "NFL admits" into a search engine. I don't know if they were incidents from this year or not, but there were quite a few hits.
Dishman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read