Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-30-2005   #21
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I can see your point, but just about every rookie seems to come in with hopes of attaining the starting job. They're coming from a situation where they were the star player on their team, and they often expect to be a star in the NFL as well. In other words they're big fish in small ponds, and they're making a jump to big fish in the ocean. I'm sure TJ believes he's capable of taking the starting job away from Walker, and I'm sure Mathis believes he's capable of taking the starting job (#2) from Gaffney. Morency just seems to be more vocal about it early on than either TJ or Mathis. I don't believe Morency will unseat DD as the starter, nor do I believe Mathis or TJ will start early on in their careers. All of them will likely see plenty of playing time as they rotate in and out early on in the season. Honestly, I'd be more concerned if Morency wasn't of the mindset that he could earn the starting spot.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #22
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I hope he is good.. I also hope that Ragone is good.. that is nothing but good news to me..Why? The guys are young and they don't have HUGE contracts..They have trade value.. We shouldn't be pulling a sharper and Glenn were we have to release them because noone wants to trade for them..due to salary ...
All good points ! Yup, when players are still young, productive, with the best part of their careers in front of them and not behind them, and working under contracts that are reasonable cap friend they are valuable to us but at the same time still attractive to others teams.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Like I said, its good that he is confident, but he doesnt show all that much respect for the fact that he is a Rookie and we have a starter.
We have 22 starters. The idea behind the draft is to get players you feel can start in the NFL. That comment has nothing to do with respect.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #24
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

That is basicly where im coming from texasguy. Yah, every rookie comes in with the mindset that they are going to take the starting job.. but most of them do not vocalize it, and they show respect towards the current starter on the team.

The fact that Morrency is very vocal about it, it makes me wonder if he is they type of guy who is going to want to start or be traded :P.. that is all.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #25
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I really don't think he was disrespecting DD. I think it's coming more from the fact that he hasn't seen the talent he's going to be playing against up close and personal yet. It's one thing to see a guy play on TV, but its quite another when you're watching him play 20 feet away from you. His respect for DD will grow as the two compete throughout training camp, and keep in mind that Morency is trying to earn the veterans respect as well as the coaching staff. If he came in with the mindset that there was no way he could unseat DD as the starter, or came in looking to only compete for the #2 spot on the depth chart at RB other players and coaches wouldn't have much respect for him. On the other hand if he comes in and feels he's capable of challenging for the starting spot, and he competes at a starter quality during training camp and the pre-season then the coaches and players will have more respect for him. He has to earn respect just like any other rookie. By him vocalizing it he's just being honest about his ambitions. Doesn't make him a bad guy. Some players are just more vocal than others. In a way he's just stating the obvious, and I'm sure TJ and Mathis feel the same way but perhaps they just motivate themselves in less vocal ways.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #26
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default J. McClain on the Texans' plan to protect DC

" The more efficient the running game is, the better the pass protection becomes, because the defense can't tee off on Carr.
That's one reason the Texans drafted Oklahoma State running back Vernand Morency. He's tough, strong and durable. He also has quick feet. Several teams have predicted that he'll be the Texans' most surprising rookie and perhaps one of the NFL's biggest surprises."
I dunno.. sounds like McClain has already given Morency DD's job as RB starter.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3161345
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #27
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
" The more efficient the running game is, the better the pass protection becomes, because the defense can't tee off on Carr.
That's one reason the Texans drafted Oklahoma State running back Vernand Morency. He's tough, strong and durable. He also has quick feet. Several teams have predicted that he'll be the Texans' most surprising rookie and perhaps one of the NFL's biggest surprises."
I dunno.. sounds like McClain has already given Morency DD's job as RB starter.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3161345
Doesn't really sound that way to me. Just sounds like he thinks we may have got a good one. I see the deal as DD is the guy and gets most of the touches for the first 4-5 games. After that Morency get 8-15 touches a game. Keeps DD fresher and hopefully not hurt. The end result is then a more effective running game. One thing to keep in mind is that DD is a real good pass catcher and blitz pick up guy, and we don't know about Morency yet.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2005   #28
Trapped
Veteran

speaking of Miami Swagger, we sure did bring in alot of florida guys this year.

Morlon Greenwood(played for the Dolphins for 3 years)
Philip Buchanon(went to the U)
Travis Johnson(went to florida St.)

I think we are looking at Florida as a hot spot to build our defense or something.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #29
Texansbacker
Veteran

DD has everything it takes to be a success but he has been unable to stay healthy.

Morency looks like a DD clone and will be able to provide little or no dropoff in production.

It remains to be seen if Morency is the better back or if DD will reach his goal of 2000 yards, but either way it will be good competition and make the Texans a better team.
Texansbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #30
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DD has everything it takes to be a success but he has been unable to stay healthy.
Davis missed one start last season and had over 300 carries.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005   #31
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Davis missed one start last season and had over 300 carries.

Yea but he got yanked out of a couple games (KC, Tennessee) because he wasn't effective playing hurt.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #32
O.G.
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to O.G. Send a message via Yahoo to O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansbacker

Morency looks like a DD clone and will be able to provide little or no dropoff in production.

It remains to be seen if Morency is the better back or if DD will reach his goal of 2000 yards, but either way it will be good competition and make the Texans a better team.
Wouldn't it be nice if DD got 1,400 yards which is very obtainable (1188 last year with bad start) and Morency got 800 or 900 yards. That would be the 2,000+ yard back that we would need and everyone would be happy. A Healthy DD if we made it to the playoffs, less carries and a hellova back up. Would be like Curtis Martin and La Mont Jordan. I'd be happy....very happy and with a situation like that, I could see Carr passing for over 3600 yards and 25 sacks like the year before this last one.
Old 05-01-2005   #33
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

"The scouts we trust say when they timed him, he ran as fast as 4.51, but they said to forget about his 40 time because that's not his biggest asset. They say his quick feet enable quick cuts, including when he's running inside."

so basically he is a dominack davis clone? i don't mean that in a bad way, just trying to get a grip on the type of player he is.
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005   #34
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
"The scouts we trust say when they timed him, he ran as fast as 4.51, but they said to forget about his 40 time because that's not his biggest asset. They say his quick feet enable quick cuts, including when he's running inside."

so basically he is a dominack davis clone? i don't mean that in a bad way, just trying to get a grip on the type of player he is.
Sort of. Probably faster, but may not have the hands that DD does. Unknown how well he can do in blitz pickup and other blocking.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005   #35
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Thrill
I'd rather have the OL to block for Carr than have to bring in ANOTHER RB in hopes of more playaction.

Sounds like an excuse as to why we picked him up more than a good reason for bringing him in.

A 25 yr old rookie at RB? I mean any other position I'd be ok with but RB's have a 3-4 year shelf life coming in at 21.

I'd rather us drafted the G out of UVA.
RBs wear down because of the pounding, not because of their age. He has been pounded on very much. I'd expect Morency to be in the league after Cedric Benson has retired.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005   #36
SA Fan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Doesn't really sound that way to me. Just sounds like he thinks we may have got a good one. I see the deal as DD is the guy and gets most of the touches for the first 4-5 games. After that Morency get 8-15 touches a game. Keeps DD fresher and hopefully not hurt. The end result is then a more effective running game. One thing to keep in mind is that DD is a real good pass catcher and blitz pick up guy, and we don't know about Morency yet.

My thoughts exactly
SA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005   #37
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57261 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

DD lost one full start last year, but he has consistently been nicked up, causing him to lose effectiveness. Worse, his backup has had a perputual hamstring injury.

As to Morency's attitude, critizing him for wanting to come in here and take DD's job, has to rank as some of the more ridicoulous critisms I have heard in a while. I would be much more concerned if I saw a quote like this "I know DD is the man, and I am just hear to goof off, hopefully collect a paycheck, and retire fat and wealthy in five years". Would that make you happy? To think that a player actually wants to unseat an incumbent. Wow! Who would guess that a draft pick actually has the nerve to think he should start. How dare he. I say send him back to reform school to learn some manners. Please. Don't make up sheet that isn't there.

I have already gone on record that Morency will be starting by opening day 2006, at the very latest. I will not at all be surprised if he takes DD's job some time this year. I have been saying that since draft day. All it will take is for D to get nicked up like always. Morency and the Texans won't look back.
Old 05-02-2005   #38
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
DD lost one full start last year, but he has consistently been nicked up, causing him to lose effectiveness. Worse, his backup has had a perputual hamstring injury.

As to Morency's attitude, critizing him for wanting to come in here and take DD's job, has to rank as some of the more ridicoulous critisms I have heard in a while. I would be much more concerned if I saw a quote like this "I know DD is the man, and I am just hear to goof off, hopefully collect a paycheck, and retire fat and wealthy in five years". Would that make you happy? To think that a player actually wants to unseat an incumbent. Wow! Who would guess that a draft pick actually has the nerve to think he should start. How dare he. I say send him back to reform school to learn some manners. Please. Don't make up sheet that isn't there. El Stupido.

I have already gone on record that Morency will be starting by opening day 2006, at the very latest. I will not at all be surprised if he takes DD's job some time this year. I have been saying that since draft day. All it will take is for D to get nicked up like always. Morency and the Texans won't look back.

RACK IT!!!
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read