Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-26-2011   #41
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Am I the only one concerned about next two games

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So you're saying he threw the game?

You don't think he put it on the defense to win the game? The strongest part of the team?

You just think he threw the game?
No I don't think he did. I do think he hamstrung the offense so much that it made winning a much harder feat. Kubiak has been playing not to lose lately and that is exactly what its causing. Losses. If Kubiak doesn't play Jake or Jeff some in this meaningless Titans game then I have to question what the hell he is really thinking. Get some rust off these guys in case they are needed when it counts. At least one of them. If he just puts Yates out there for 4 quarters and calls the same type of game that we have seen recently that resulted in losses then what is the point. I have a feeling we will see one of them but with backups out there to play with. No way to really see what either one can still do like that playing against a division opponent trying to make the playoffs. We all saw what Delhomme did in Cleveland. It would probably look that bad if Kubiak throws him out to the wolves with 2nd stringers against a hungry team. Not really a "true" picture of what we can expect.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I do think he hamstrung the offense so much that it made winning a much harder feat. Kubiak has been playing not to lose lately and that is exactly what its causing. Losses.

If he just puts Yates out there for 4 quarters and calls the same type of game that we have seen recently that resulted in losses then what is the point.
I'm not really understanding this.

You know they don't count sacks as pass attempts? & they don't count QB scrambles as pass attempts either. He was sacked 4 times & they credit him with one rushing attempt. Add those 5 to his 16 attempts & we've got 21 pass attempts compared to Arian Foster's 23 carries.

You can add 6 carries for Tate & 1 reverse by Jacoby & we're looking at 30 "run" plays to 21 pass attempts. It's not as out of whack as some would make it seem.

We had 10 3rd down situations, we attempted to pass the ball on 6 of them, ran a draw on one, one came after Tj was sacked, & a third came late in the game to run the clock down to 2 minutes.

I've watched the game three times & I don't have a problem with the flow of the game. It looks like a good mixture of run & pass.

It looks no different than our first game against the Titans when Matt threw the ball 23 times with no sacks. Or the Bucs game where he threw the ball 15 times & we still scored 41 points against the Titans & 37 points against the Bucs.

Tj Yates was no more hamstrung against Indy, Carolina, Cincinnati, or Atlanta than Matt was in any of our winning games.
Old 12-26-2011   #43
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291448 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not really understanding this.

You know they don't count sacks as pass attempts? & they don't count QB scrambles as pass attempts either. He was sacked 4 times & they credit him with one rushing attempt. Add those 5 to his 16 attempts & we've got 21 pass attempts compared to Arian Foster's 23 carries.

You can add 6 carries for Tate & 1 reverse by Jacoby & we're looking at 30 "run" plays to 21 pass attempts. It's not as out of whack as some would make it seem.

We had 10 3rd down situations, we attempted to pass the ball on 6 of them, ran a draw on one, one came after Tj was sacked, & a third came late in the game to run the clock down to 2 minutes.

I've watched the game three times & I don't have a problem with the flow of the game. It looks like a good mixture of run & pass.

It looks no different than our first game against the Titans when Matt threw the ball 23 times with no sacks. Or the Bucs game where he threw the ball 15 times & we still scored 41 points against the Titans & 37 points against the Bucs.

Tj Yates was no more hamstrung against Indy, Carolina, Cincinnati, or Atlanta than Matt was in any of our winning games.
QFT.
Finally someone who sees what I see. This is the same offense Schaub had been running all year. The kid just needs more seasoning - and Andre Johnson back - to make it work more effectively.

One nit though. That one rushing attempt was a kneel down to end the first half not a scramble. If the QB runs out of bounds behind the LoS on a pass attempt, the guy chasing him gets credited with a sack.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #44
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The last two games don't really have me pumped up. I'd like to put a whooping on Titans to get back up for this team.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011   #45
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Nope, not really concerned. Call me ignorant, call me obstinate, call me blissfully unaware, but we ought to beat the $#%% out of our next two opponents.

We got our wake up call, we'll have Andre back for the second one (bank it!), and the team is ready to see what they've got in the playoffs.

As long as TJ doesn't screw the pooch, the Texans will be fine.
Silly me, I thought that the O-Line would show up for the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
No I don't think he did. I do think he hamstrung the offense so much that it made winning a much harder feat. Kubiak has been playing not to lose lately and that is exactly what its causing. Losses. If Kubiak doesn't play Jake or Jeff some in this meaningless Titans game then I have to question what the hell he is really thinking. Get some rust off these guys in case they are needed when it counts. At least one of them. If he just puts Yates out there for 4 quarters and calls the same type of game that we have seen recently that resulted in losses then what is the point. I have a feeling we will see one of them but with backups out there to play with. No way to really see what either one can still do like that playing against a division opponent trying to make the playoffs. We all saw what Delhomme did in Cleveland. It would probably look that bad if Kubiak throws him out to the wolves with 2nd stringers against a hungry team. Not really a "true" picture of what we can expect.
My father called me and asked if I though Kubiak was simply watering-down the playbook so as not to overload Yates and/or to not give the playoff opponents anything to scout for. I'm beginning to wonder myself.
Old 12-27-2011   #46
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
My father called me and asked if I though Kubiak was simply watering-down the playbook so as not to overload Yates and/or to not give the playoff opponents anything to scout for. I'm beginning to wonder myself.
I don't know why fans attempt to soothe their troubles by thinking the coach is somehow saving the best plays for the playoffs.

1. It behooves the coach to win as many games as he can, to try and get a first round bye (which means 2 weeks of rest and preparation...and automatic entry into round 2 of the playoffs).

2. There is 14 games worth of film on us that a playoff opponent will access. I don't see how we would spill the beans in games 15 and 16 if we used the full playbook. You either can beat your opponent's defense or you can't. Period.

Not slamming you, disaacks. Just saying that this is a way to tell your dad that the theory of us saving the best for the playoffs is likely not the case.

I think the injuries have caught up to us, Yates has not had a full camp and reps as even the #2 guy (let alone the #1 guy), and not having Wade Phillips rallying the troops has been a part of the problem, too. EDIT: Not having a true #1 WR threat has hurt, too. As has not having quality #2 WR behind him.

We can win with defense if the offense will score around 20 points.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read