Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

A.J. sounds like he is ready.

I would rather have him sit for the extra time and get really healthy. But either way, I look forward to having him as a target for Yates again. Not having a deep threat hurts.

I'm pretty sure even if we rolled AJ on the field in a rascal scooter he would still draw double coverage. More important to have him healthy for playoffs, but if he truly is ready then lets get him back and work on the in game chemistry between him and Yates.

I don't know whether its worse for him to go from nothing to playoffs or to have him risk getting injured in somewhat meaningless games before the playoffs.

The way I look at it, if he is really and truly 100% healthy, he should be back on the field working back in to game shape. You can't miss the majority of the season and come back and be on your game.

Developing timing with yates, getting in to game shape, working on route running (he looked sloppy last time we saw him), etc are all key

I don't know whether its worse for him to go from nothing to playoffs or to have him risk getting injured in somewhat meaningless games before the playoffs.

The way I look at it, if he is really and truly 100% healthy, he should be back on the field working back in to game shape. You can't miss the majority of the season and come back and be on your game.

Developing timing with yates, getting in to game shape, working on route running (he looked sloppy last time we saw him), etc are all key

These aren't meaningless games... I think it would be a huge help if we can get that 1st round bye. It would be even bigger if we can play the Pats, Ravens, or Steelers at home.

I'd rather sit him until the Titans game. It's all about getting our team healthy for when it counts. Our offense will be just fine against the Colts.

As for wanting home games in the playoffs, it doesn't concern me as much. We've been decent on the road, the only game I could think of that was a poor showing was the Ravens game, but we took the Bengals out on their turf in a very important game for them, and also kept up with the Saints in probably the toughest place to play at.

This team thrives on the road, so having a healthy team means a little more to me.

Perfect opportunity to get him some reps (not too many) so he can get his timing back. Then he can take advantage of next week being a "long week" to recover.

Then, again limit his reps against the Tinnbreds but work him in moreso than this upcoming Thursday night game. Voila! Ready for the playoffs.

All of that is out the window though, if he's not 100% ready right now.

I'd rather sit him until the Titans game. It's all about getting our team healthy for when it counts. Our offense will be just fine against the Colts.

As for wanting home games in the playoffs, it doesn't concern me as much. We've been decent on the road, the only game I could think of that was a poor showing was the Ravens game, but we took the Bengals out on their turf in a very important game for them, and also kept up with the Saints in probably the toughest place to play at.

This team thrives on the road, so having a healthy team means a little more to me.

I guess I am selfish, but I want to go to the games and be part of the home field advantage.

These aren't meaningless games... I think it would be a huge help if we can get that 1st round bye. It would be even bigger if we can play the Pats, Ravens, or Steelers at home.

Exactly right. Getting a bye = winning a 1st round game without having to play it. These last 2 games are huge. The playoffs have started and the Texans are trying to advance to round 2 right now.

Normally, I'd say suit him up as soon as possible, so he can help us chase the #1 seed, but at this point, I'd sit him until the playoffs for one very nonsensical reason.

After all AJ has meant to this team, he deserves to run out on Reliant field in a playoff game. We have one guaranteed home playoff game, so I say sit him, and keep him healthy until he can take the field in his first playoff game.

I'd feel like complete shyte if I made the decision to run him out there early, and he got hurt and missed that opportunity.
That's what I'd do for AJ, but the funny thing is, AJ is a freakin player, and I bet he'd be pissed if the coach did it that way if he is ready to go earlier.

The Texans should win the next two games without AJ.

We were 10-3 before we played the 4-9 Panthers. We had the #1 defense, a top 10 offense & the best running game (arguably) in the league.

& we lost.

We lost, because the team that took the field Sunday was not a 10-3 team, at best we were a 2-0 team playing the 4-9 Panthers.

Going to Indy, we're a 2-1 team playing the 1-0 Colts.

We were 10-3 before we played the 4-9 Panthers. We had the #1 defense, a top 10 offense & the best running game (arguably) in the league.

& we lost.

We lost, because the team that took the field Sunday was not a 10-3 team, at best we were a 2-0 team playing the 4-9 Panthers.

Or we just came upon the first team in a while that had (at that particular time) a good AND balanced AND well-thought out defensive AND offensive attack.........one that proved superior to the one we thought we had.

Or we just came upon the first team in a while that had (at that particular time) a good AND balanced AND well-thought out defensive AND offensive attack.........one that proved superior to the one we thought we had.

OR...

Our defense didn't play particularly well in the first half and our offense turned the ball over too often.... Shite happens. Is there anyone out there that believes the Panters are a better team than the Texans? Prolly not!!!

KC loves the fact that we're all in turmoil....

Signed,
We just beat the Packers.

& we lost.

I prefer 0-0 and looking for a win.

I think getting that first round bye and home field would be huge for the team.

Hi Guys... I'm a member on the official Houston Texans Board and thought it was about time to join here and meet some of you who do not post there. Some of you here know me from there and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Honestly I do not see the Colts risking the #1 overall pick so I do not think they will play very hard. They have suffered too much this season to let it slip away now just to beat us.

I agree with those who say let him rest this game and bring him in for the Titans game to shake off the rust.

Hi Guys... I'm a member on the official Houston Texans Board and thought it was about time to join here and meet some of you who do not post there. Some of you here know me from there and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Honestly I do not see the Colts risking the #1 overall pick so I do not think they will play very hard. They have suffered too much this season to let it slip away now just to beat us.

I agree with those who say let him rest this game and bring him in for the Titans game to shake off the rust.

I think the Colts will play harder. There are alot of guys on that team that will be looking for work next year and they need as much game tape as possible to look good in.

Welcome to TexansTalk!! NOW, forget about the other board!!:texflag: You won't want to go back anyway!!

If we can lose to the Panthers at home, we can lose to the Colts on the road. Texans need to figure out if they are happy with a AFCS title, or want more.

Normally, I'd say suit him up as soon as possible, so he can help us chase the #1 seed, but at this point, I'd sit him until the playoffs for one very nonsensical reason.

After all AJ has meant to this team, he deserves to run out on Reliant field in a playoff game. We have one guaranteed home playoff game, so I say sit him, and keep him healthy until he can take the field in his first playoff game.

I'd feel like complete shyte if I made the decision to run him out there early, and he got hurt and missed that opportunity.
That's what I'd do for AJ, but the funny thing is, AJ is a freakin player, and I bet he'd be pissed if the coach did it that way if he is ready to go earlier.

I agree completely. This is my reasoning, as well.

I completely understand the counterpoint. Shake the rust off, try to win the next two games, yada yada yada...

However, this is the first chance in A.J.'s nine years as a Texan that he has the opportunity to play in the postseason.

He's not playing against Indy. So, if I was a coach, I'd let the chips fall where they may this weekend and see the results of the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots games. It might not even be possible to grab a first week bye, and if that turns out to be the case, the outcome of the Titans game could have no impact on playoff seeding order. In that scenario, it's a no-brainer to rest A.J. for the playoffs.

The catch will be if the Titans game is a 'must win' to earn that first round bye. Then the team has a really tough decision to face, because that's a huge advantage for teams in the playoffs.

I completely understand the counterpoint. Shake the rust off, try to win the next two games, yada yada yada...

However, this is the first chance in A.J.'s nine years as a Texan that he has the opportunity to play in the postseason.

He's not playing against Indy. So, if I was a coach, I'd let the chips fall where they may this weekend and see the results of the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots games. It might not even be possible to grab a first week bye, and if that turns out to be the case, the outcome of the Titans game could have no impact on playoff seeding order. In that scenario, it's a no-brainer to rest A.J. for the playoffs.

The catch will be if the Titans game is a 'must win' to earn that first round bye. Then the team has a really tough decision to face, because that's a huge advantage for teams in the playoffs.

The thing to consider about the Titans game is the field will be crap. The Meinike Bowl is the day before...
:toropalm:

And we should easily beat the Colts and Titans. The colts with Dan Orlovsky just beat the Titans. They will be playing harder, but so will we because we just got a wake up call. We beat ourselves last game.

So I say suit him up let him run 10 plays early on before the field gets any crappier, and sit him. IF by some weird chance we absolutely need him we are not as good as I thought.

The thing to consider about the Titans game is the field will be crap. The Meinike Bowl is the day before...
:toropalm:

And we should easily beat the Colts and Titans. The colts with Dan Orlovsky just beat the Titans. They will be playing harder, but so will we because we just got a wake up call. We beat ourselves last game.

So I say suit him up let him run 10 plays early on before the field gets any crappier, and sit him. IF by some weird chance we absolutely need him we are not as good as I thought.

Really good point about the condition of the field after a bowl game!

It makes me wonder about the Texans FO, too. Going into the playoffs, and your multi-million dollar investment is going to be playing on a subpar field? It doesn't seem very bright from either a football or a business perspective.

LOL, this is the real "official" board. All the OGs from the last official board are here. Welcome.

So what? Andre is not above this team. We owe him nothing as McNair has reupped his contract midway 3 times. This is not about making sure Andre plays in the playoffs. We are playing for Super Bowl glory. Him playing the Colts and Titans gives us the best chance at that. If he's ready, you play him. Always. Andre's a baller. Unleash him.

So what? Andre is not above this team. We owe him nothing as McNair has reupped his contract midway 3 times. This is not about making sure Andre plays in the playoffs. We are playing for Super Bowl glory. Him playing the Colts and Titans gives us the best chance at that. If he's ready, you play him. Always. Andre's a baller. Unleash him.

If AJ is brought back before he's 100% ..... and he goes down again thats going to make reaching that goal of Superbowl all that much harder to achieve.

I'd sit him this week and see what next weeks game means in the grand scheme rather than risk him coming back and being out for any playoff game.

Bringing him back last time , I dont think he was 100% and the compensation from one hammy could have caused the other injury.

Park him

If AJ is brought back before he's 100% ..... and he goes down again thats going to make reaching that goal of Superbowl all that much harder to achieve.

I'd sit him this week and see what next weeks game means in the grand scheme rather than risk him coming back and being out for any playoff game.

Bringing him back last time , I dont think he was 100% and the compensation from one hammy could have caused the other injury.

Park him

You guys keep saying "before he's 100%"... Not what I'm saying at all. I get the sense that a lot of you want him benched until the playoffs even if he is 100% just to make sure he gets to go period. We have a lot of football left and the games remaining mean something. Andre there helps us more by playing.

You guys keep saying "before he's 100%"... Not what I'm saying at all. I get the sense that a lot of you want him benched until the playoffs even if he is 100% just to make sure he gets to go period. We have a lot of football left and the games remaining mean something. Andre there helps us more by playing.

I wont argue that at all. I just dont want him out when every game is win or go home. If bringing him back a week later keeps him on the field in the playoffs Im all for that ..... I think they should have held him out at least a week longer than they did the last time to be certain he was healthy.

I wont argue that at all. I just dont want him out when every game is win or go home. If bringing him back a week later keeps him on the field in the playoffs Im all for that ..... I think they should have held him out at least a week longer than they did the last time to be certain he was healthy.

You guys aren't making any sense with this stuff. AJ WAS HEALTHY OR HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OUT THERE!!!

The guy had been running for a while. It's not like he said, "hey, I feel good this week" and they put him in the game to run for the 1st time. He was running, making cuts and all that LONG BEFORE he played. They didn't send him out too early, he was ready to go so he went!

Geez!

The best doctors, crystal ball gazers, and football trainers are not going to know if Andre Johnson is at 100% until he gets into real game-time action.

Doesn't it make more sense to let the guy rest until the playoff game? What if it is one of us, and you'd busted your hump all these years...only to get bitten by the hamstring bug multiple times in the ONE season where you have your first-ever chance to contend for the Super Bowl? You want to risk missing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (playing in the playoffs) for the final two games of the regular season?

I think in the case of Andre Johnson, we're POTENTIALLY looking at career-ending scenarios for him if his hamstrings are popping on him.

Personally, I feel he's earned the right to sit and get his first start in his first ever NFL playoff game. And it doesn't matter if he's 100% or not. We were lucy enough to lock up a playoff spot early...if we were still battling the Titans for the AFC South title, I'd feel differently.

The fact that we have a playoff spot locked up already is, IMO, the key to why he needs to wait. Without that, then "Yeah, we'd need the guy playing if he can."

You guys aren't making any sense with this stuff. AJ WAS HEALTHY OR HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OUT THERE!!!

The guy had been running for a while. It's not like he said, "hey, I feel good this week" and they put him in the game to run for the 1st time. He was running, making cuts and all that LONG BEFORE he played. They didn't send him out too early, he was ready to go so he went!

Geez!

I don't know, speedy. To me, AJ looked a lot less explosive out there in his first game back.

We also brought Arian Foster back (earlier in the year) and ended up shelving him another 3 or 4 weeks. I know we did because I had Ben Tate in a fantasy league for the sole reason of knowing Foster was out indefinitely. I think it was the 49ers preseason game where Foster left early on with a gimpy hamstring.

My fear is this: Is this just a fluke, like what happened with Foster, or is the wear and tear on AJ's body starting to cause the hamstring to rip and tear more easily now?

If he goes down with another hammie, why is it so bad for people to say "Let him at least do it in a playoff game so he has the chance to savor at least a taste of the playoffs." Could you imagine him getting hurt in the last two games, and not even being able to suit up for the playoff game???

That has to be the mindset right now, IMO. By AJ, his agent, his family, his teammates. You saw the video of the crowd at Reliant chanting his name over and over, after the Bengals game. He has to be suited up for the playoff game. Period.

I don't know, speedy. To me, AJ looked a lot less explosive out there in his first game back.

We also brought Arian Foster back (earlier in the year) and ended up shelving him another 3 or 4 weeks. I know we did because I had Ben Tate in a fantasy league for the sole reason of knowing Foster was out indefinitely. I think it was the 49ers preseason game where Foster left early on with a gimpy hamstring.

My fear is this: Is this just a fluke, like what happened with Foster, or is the wear and tear on AJ's body starting to cause the hamstring to rip and tear more easily now?

If he goes down with another hammie, why is it so bad for people to say "Let him at least do it in a playoff game so he has the chance to savor at least a taste of the playoffs." Could you imagine him getting hurt in the last two games, and not even being able to suit up for the playoff game???

That has to be the mindset right now, IMO. By AJ, his agent, his family, his teammates. You saw the video of the crowd at Reliant chanting his name over and over, after the Bengals game. He has to be suited up for the playoff game. Period.

You missed the point of him running and cutting and stopping and starting and all of that stuff long before he played again. He wasn't just thrown out there and they said, "ok, let's see if you can run." He'd been running. If you are out there doing it all in your rehab, then doing it all in practice, then you're ready to go.

Geez!

AJ's mouth said one thing and his body told him another ..... Its evident from the subsequent injury that he should have been on the field - CND even warned of such a possibility.

With or without AJ their playoff seeding is pretty much set at the 3 spot .... No reason to take the chance a second time.
They can afford to sit him an extra week and not risk anything.

AJ's mouth said one thing and his body told him another ..... Its evident from the subsequent injury that he should have been on the field - CND even warned of such a possibility.

With or without AJ their playoff seeding is pretty much set at the 3 spot .... No reason to take the chance a second time.

The injury occurred to the other hamstring. I'm not sure what they needed to wait for. This mythical 100% healthy and in football shape won't be happening until next season, if that. The Texans aren't going to rush him back in order to improve their chances of a bye. However, they may get him on the field before the end of the regular season figuring that the risk of getting him into decent football shape is worth the risk of reinjury... He won't be very effective in the playoffs if he hasn't played meaningful football for a month, IMO.

The injury occurred to the other hamstring. I'm not sure what they needed to wait for. This mythical 100% healthy and in football shape won't be happening until next season, if that. The Texans aren't going to rush him back in order to improve their chances of a bye. However, they may get him on the field before the end of the regular season figuring that the risk of getting him into decent football shape is worth the risk of reinjury... He won't be very effective in the playoffs if he hasn't played meaningful football for a month, IMO.

That is true but it could have been related to the other injury by the body compensating and putting more stress on the hammy that was hurt this time ..... CND said more than once that this was a possibility before it happened .....

Sitting him against the Dolts and playing him against the Tits is what I would do personally giving him a tune up game prior to a playoff appearance. Just doesnt make sense to me to risk losing what he brings to this team in the playoffs in a meaningless game against a clearly inferior opponent. Hell , I'd probably severely limit his snaps against the Tits .....

I don't think so. All of CnD's warnings were about an amount of explosiveness Aj may never have again, as the result of one of his hamstring muscles being surgically removed from his knee.

It was not attached, there was no chance of re-injury.

Aj's current condition affects his other leg. Possibly caused by over-compensating for the "lack of power" in the previously injured leg. There's no way (I don't believe) this could have been predicted with such accuracy. Sitting out for an extra week might have could have postponed it... but for all we know, he sat out "an extra week"

You play to win the game...... HELLO!!

Not putting your best players on the field is indicative of bad coaching. Putting unhealthy players on the field indicates the same.

You missed the point of him running and cutting and stopping and starting and all of that stuff long before he played again. He wasn't just thrown out there and they said, "ok, let's see if you can run." He'd been running. If you are out there doing it all in your rehab, then doing it all in practice, then you're ready to go.

You think his practice sessions mimic a real game day situation where he's trying to elude a pursuing defensive back, or trying to stretch out all the way (in stride) to catch a ball or get more YAC on the play? I doubt he's taking those risks in practice sessions.

Drills/practice vs. game day action = Different type of strain on your body.

this is the first chance in A.J.'s nine years as a Texan that he has the opportunity to play in the postseason.

This is a good point and I guess I did not think of it this way, having said that I am not sure worrying about one players feelings is much of a team attitude.

Do not get me wrong I LOVE Dre and want as much any of you for him to be able to play his first playoff game after sticking with us when he did not have to. AJ is without a doubt THE FACE of the Houston Texans.

I liken Dre's injury to building a racing engine, or any engine for that matter. You do not take the time to balance and blueprint the crank and rods, port the intake to fit the heads perfectly, port and polish the heads, etc, then assemble it and during it's first start, rev it to it's maximum RPM. An engine must be broken in at a lower RPM for so many hours before stressing it to the maximum, or you risk spinning the bearings, thus burning up the engine.

Expecting Dre to go maximum RPM in that first playoff game without a break in period is asking too much IMHO, and is just as risky as playing him against the Titans. If he is healthy... get him in the game for limited reps.

You think his practice sessions mimic a real game day situation where he's trying to elude a pursuing defensive back, or trying to stretch out all the way (in stride) to catch a ball or get more YAC on the play? I doubt he's taking those risks in practice sessions.

Drills/practice vs. game day action = Different type of strain on your body.

No, I said he was running with it to where everyone, meaning Texans powers that be not message board posters, said he was good to go. And unless he plays in a game, he never gets that game day action, so your point doesn't much sense. He won't have had game day action when the playoffs start either, if you hold him out 'til then, so by your logic he'll never be ready.

Expecting Dre to go maximum RPM in that first playoff game without a break in period is asking too much IMHO, and is just as risky as playing him against the Titans. If he is healthy... get him in the game for limited reps.

If the man is healthy, I'm starting him tonight (I know he's already ruled out, but if he was healthy). I'm putting him in at the start of the game, I'm probably going to have him take 2 or 3 snaps in that first series.

Then I'm putting him on the bike. If the next offensive series goes for 5 or 6 plays, I'll stick him in the game for 1 or 2. Then it's back on the bike until after half time.

I'll take that approach for the remainder of this game & the Titan's game... come play-offs, I'm expecting every one of those guys to give 120%, leave it all on the field & that includes Aj

Super Bowl or bust.

If the man is healthy, I'm starting him tonight (I know he's already ruled out, but if he was healthy). I'm putting him in at the start of the game, I'm probably going to have him take 2 or 3 snaps in that first series.

Then I'm putting him on the bike. If the next offensive series goes for 5 or 6 plays, I'll stick him in the game for 1 or 2. Then it's back on the bike until after half time.

I'll take that approach for the remainder of this game & the Titan's game... come play-offs, I'm expecting every one of those guys to give 120%, leave it all on the field & that includes Aj

Super Bowl or bust.

Sounds like a solid approach... too bad that is not what Kubiak will do. :thinking:

Back