Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2011   #21
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A.J. sounds like he is ready.

I was all for resting him earlier this year. Now it's time to play.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #22
Nitrofish
Humanoid

Rep Power: 32162 Nitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respectedNitrofish is a quality contributor and well respected

Hi Guys... I'm a member on the official Houston Texans Board and thought it was about time to join here and meet some of you who do not post there. Some of you here know me from there and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Honestly I do not see the Colts risking the #1 overall pick so I do not think they will play very hard. They have suffered too much this season to let it slip away now just to beat us.

I agree with those who say let him rest this game and bring him in for the Titans game to shake off the rust.

"Keenum has an aura about him". -Andre Johnson
"She did a Mean Macarena to the Funky Cold Medina" -S. Hagar
Nitrofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #23
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrofish View Post
Hi Guys... I'm a member on the official Houston Texans Board and thought it was about time to join here and meet some of you who do not post there. Some of you here know me from there and I just wanted to introduce myself.

Honestly I do not see the Colts risking the #1 overall pick so I do not think they will play very hard. They have suffered too much this season to let it slip away now just to beat us.

I agree with those who say let him rest this game and bring him in for the Titans game to shake off the rust.
I think the Colts will play harder. There are alot of guys on that team that will be looking for work next year and they need as much game tape as possible to look good in.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #24
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29597 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Welcome to TexansTalk!! NOW, forget about the other board!! You won't want to go back anyway!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #25
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 56852 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

If we can lose to the Panthers at home, we can lose to the Colts on the road. Texans need to figure out if they are happy with a AFCS title, or want more.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #26
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Normally, I'd say suit him up as soon as possible, so he can help us chase the #1 seed, but at this point, I'd sit him until the playoffs for one very nonsensical reason.

After all AJ has meant to this team, he deserves to run out on Reliant field in a playoff game. We have one guaranteed home playoff game, so I say sit him, and keep him healthy until he can take the field in his first playoff game.

I'd feel like complete shyte if I made the decision to run him out there early, and he got hurt and missed that opportunity.
That's what I'd do for AJ, but the funny thing is, AJ is a freakin player, and I bet he'd be pissed if the coach did it that way if he is ready to go earlier.
I agree completely. This is my reasoning, as well.

I completely understand the counterpoint. Shake the rust off, try to win the next two games, yada yada yada...

However, this is the first chance in A.J.'s nine years as a Texan that he has the opportunity to play in the postseason.

He's not playing against Indy. So, if I was a coach, I'd let the chips fall where they may this weekend and see the results of the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots games. It might not even be possible to grab a first week bye, and if that turns out to be the case, the outcome of the Titans game could have no impact on playoff seeding order. In that scenario, it's a no-brainer to rest A.J. for the playoffs.

The catch will be if the Titans game is a 'must win' to earn that first round bye. Then the team has a really tough decision to face, because that's a huge advantage for teams in the playoffs.
Old 12-21-2011   #27
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9597 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I completely understand the counterpoint. Shake the rust off, try to win the next two games, yada yada yada...

However, this is the first chance in A.J.'s nine years as a Texan that he has the opportunity to play in the postseason.

He's not playing against Indy. So, if I was a coach, I'd let the chips fall where they may this weekend and see the results of the Steelers, Ravens, and Patriots games. It might not even be possible to grab a first week bye, and if that turns out to be the case, the outcome of the Titans game could have no impact on playoff seeding order. In that scenario, it's a no-brainer to rest A.J. for the playoffs.

The catch will be if the Titans game is a 'must win' to earn that first round bye. Then the team has a really tough decision to face, because that's a huge advantage for teams in the playoffs.
The thing to consider about the Titans game is the field will be crap. The Meinike Bowl is the day before...

And we should easily beat the Colts and Titans. The colts with Dan Orlovsky just beat the Titans. They will be playing harder, but so will we because we just got a wake up call. We beat ourselves last game.

So I say suit him up let him run 10 plays early on before the field gets any crappier, and sit him. IF by some weird chance we absolutely need him we are not as good as I thought.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2011   #28
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
The thing to consider about the Titans game is the field will be crap. The Meinike Bowl is the day before...

And we should easily beat the Colts and Titans. The colts with Dan Orlovsky just beat the Titans. They will be playing harder, but so will we because we just got a wake up call. We beat ourselves last game.

So I say suit him up let him run 10 plays early on before the field gets any crappier, and sit him. IF by some weird chance we absolutely need him we are not as good as I thought.
Really good point about the condition of the field after a bowl game!

It makes me wonder about the Texans FO, too. Going into the playoffs, and your multi-million dollar investment is going to be playing on a subpar field? It doesn't seem very bright from either a football or a business perspective.
Old 12-21-2011   #29
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

LOL, this is the real "official" board. All the OGs from the last official board are here. Welcome.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #30
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

So what? Andre is not above this team. We owe him nothing as McNair has reupped his contract midway 3 times. This is not about making sure Andre plays in the playoffs. We are playing for Super Bowl glory. Him playing the Colts and Titans gives us the best chance at that. If he's ready, you play him. Always. Andre's a baller. Unleash him.
Old 12-21-2011   #31
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
So what? Andre is not above this team. We owe him nothing as McNair has reupped his contract midway 3 times. This is not about making sure Andre plays in the playoffs. We are playing for Super Bowl glory. Him playing the Colts and Titans gives us the best chance at that. If he's ready, you play him. Always. Andre's a baller. Unleash him.
If AJ is brought back before he's 100% ..... and he goes down again thats going to make reaching that goal of Superbowl all that much harder to achieve.

I'd sit him this week and see what next weeks game means in the grand scheme rather than risk him coming back and being out for any playoff game.

Bringing him back last time , I dont think he was 100% and the compensation from one hammy could have caused the other injury.

Park him

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #32
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
If AJ is brought back before he's 100% ..... and he goes down again thats going to make reaching that goal of Superbowl all that much harder to achieve.

I'd sit him this week and see what next weeks game means in the grand scheme rather than risk him coming back and being out for any playoff game.

Bringing him back last time , I dont think he was 100% and the compensation from one hammy could have caused the other injury.

Park him
You guys keep saying "before he's 100%"... Not what I'm saying at all. I get the sense that a lot of you want him benched until the playoffs even if he is 100% just to make sure he gets to go period. We have a lot of football left and the games remaining mean something. Andre there helps us more by playing.
Old 12-21-2011   #33
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You guys keep saying "before he's 100%"... Not what I'm saying at all. I get the sense that a lot of you want him benched until the playoffs even if he is 100% just to make sure he gets to go period. We have a lot of football left and the games remaining mean something. Andre there helps us more by playing.
I wont argue that at all. I just dont want him out when every game is win or go home. If bringing him back a week later keeps him on the field in the playoffs Im all for that ..... I think they should have held him out at least a week longer than they did the last time to be certain he was healthy.

Old 12-21-2011   #34
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wont argue that at all. I just dont want him out when every game is win or go home. If bringing him back a week later keeps him on the field in the playoffs Im all for that ..... I think they should have held him out at least a week longer than they did the last time to be certain he was healthy.
You guys aren't making any sense with this stuff. AJ WAS HEALTHY OR HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OUT THERE!!!

The guy had been running for a while. It's not like he said, "hey, I feel good this week" and they put him in the game to run for the 1st time. He was running, making cuts and all that LONG BEFORE he played. They didn't send him out too early, he was ready to go so he went!

Geez!

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The best doctors, crystal ball gazers, and football trainers are not going to know if Andre Johnson is at 100% until he gets into real game-time action.

Doesn't it make more sense to let the guy rest until the playoff game? What if it is one of us, and you'd busted your hump all these years...only to get bitten by the hamstring bug multiple times in the ONE season where you have your first-ever chance to contend for the Super Bowl? You want to risk missing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (playing in the playoffs) for the final two games of the regular season?

I think in the case of Andre Johnson, we're POTENTIALLY looking at career-ending scenarios for him if his hamstrings are popping on him.

Personally, I feel he's earned the right to sit and get his first start in his first ever NFL playoff game. And it doesn't matter if he's 100% or not. We were lucy enough to lock up a playoff spot early...if we were still battling the Titans for the AFC South title, I'd feel differently.

The fact that we have a playoff spot locked up already is, IMO, the key to why he needs to wait. Without that, then "Yeah, we'd need the guy playing if he can."
Old 12-21-2011   #36
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
You guys aren't making any sense with this stuff. AJ WAS HEALTHY OR HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN OUT THERE!!!

The guy had been running for a while. It's not like he said, "hey, I feel good this week" and they put him in the game to run for the 1st time. He was running, making cuts and all that LONG BEFORE he played. They didn't send him out too early, he was ready to go so he went!

Geez!
I don't know, speedy. To me, AJ looked a lot less explosive out there in his first game back.

We also brought Arian Foster back (earlier in the year) and ended up shelving him another 3 or 4 weeks. I know we did because I had Ben Tate in a fantasy league for the sole reason of knowing Foster was out indefinitely. I think it was the 49ers preseason game where Foster left early on with a gimpy hamstring.

My fear is this: Is this just a fluke, like what happened with Foster, or is the wear and tear on AJ's body starting to cause the hamstring to rip and tear more easily now?

If he goes down with another hammie, why is it so bad for people to say "Let him at least do it in a playoff game so he has the chance to savor at least a taste of the playoffs." Could you imagine him getting hurt in the last two games, and not even being able to suit up for the playoff game???

That has to be the mindset right now, IMO. By AJ, his agent, his family, his teammates. You saw the video of the crowd at Reliant chanting his name over and over, after the Bengals game. He has to be suited up for the playoff game. Period.
Old 12-21-2011   #37
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 31376 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I don't know, speedy. To me, AJ looked a lot less explosive out there in his first game back.

We also brought Arian Foster back (earlier in the year) and ended up shelving him another 3 or 4 weeks. I know we did because I had Ben Tate in a fantasy league for the sole reason of knowing Foster was out indefinitely. I think it was the 49ers preseason game where Foster left early on with a gimpy hamstring.

My fear is this: Is this just a fluke, like what happened with Foster, or is the wear and tear on AJ's body starting to cause the hamstring to rip and tear more easily now?

If he goes down with another hammie, why is it so bad for people to say "Let him at least do it in a playoff game so he has the chance to savor at least a taste of the playoffs." Could you imagine him getting hurt in the last two games, and not even being able to suit up for the playoff game???

That has to be the mindset right now, IMO. By AJ, his agent, his family, his teammates. You saw the video of the crowd at Reliant chanting his name over and over, after the Bengals game. He has to be suited up for the playoff game. Period.
You missed the point of him running and cutting and stopping and starting and all of that stuff long before he played again. He wasn't just thrown out there and they said, "ok, let's see if you can run." He'd been running. If you are out there doing it all in your rehab, then doing it all in practice, then you're ready to go.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #38
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post

Geez!
AJ's mouth said one thing and his body told him another ..... Its evident from the subsequent injury that he should have been on the field - CND even warned of such a possibility.

With or without AJ their playoff seeding is pretty much set at the 3 spot .... No reason to take the chance a second time.
They can afford to sit him an extra week and not risk anything.

Old 12-21-2011   #39
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
AJ's mouth said one thing and his body told him another ..... Its evident from the subsequent injury that he should have been on the field - CND even warned of such a possibility.

With or without AJ their playoff seeding is pretty much set at the 3 spot .... No reason to take the chance a second time.
They can afford to sit him an extra week and not risk anything.
The injury occurred to the other hamstring. I'm not sure what they needed to wait for. This mythical 100% healthy and in football shape won't be happening until next season, if that. The Texans aren't going to rush him back in order to improve their chances of a bye. However, they may get him on the field before the end of the regular season figuring that the risk of getting him into decent football shape is worth the risk of reinjury... He won't be very effective in the playoffs if he hasn't played meaningful football for a month, IMO.
Old 12-21-2011   #40
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
The injury occurred to the other hamstring. I'm not sure what they needed to wait for. This mythical 100% healthy and in football shape won't be happening until next season, if that. The Texans aren't going to rush him back in order to improve their chances of a bye. However, they may get him on the field before the end of the regular season figuring that the risk of getting him into decent football shape is worth the risk of reinjury... He won't be very effective in the playoffs if he hasn't played meaningful football for a month, IMO.
That is true but it could have been related to the other injury by the body compensating and putting more stress on the hammy that was hurt this time ..... CND said more than once that this was a possibility before it happened .....

Sitting him against the Dolts and playing him against the Tits is what I would do personally giving him a tune up game prior to a playoff appearance. Just doesnt make sense to me to risk losing what he brings to this team in the playoffs in a meaningless game against a clearly inferior opponent. Hell , I'd probably severely limit his snaps against the Tits .....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read