Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

View Poll Results: Who's the most improved
Eagles 1 3.23%
Patriots 1 3.23%
Vikings 2 6.45%
Bucs 0 0%
Texans 19 61.29%
Raiders 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2004   #21
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I thought Lito Sheppard (1st round pick in 2002) and Shelton Brown (2nd round pick in 2002) were starting for the Eagles at CB this season. Is that not accurate? http://www.ourlads.com/secure/depthchart.cfm?index1=phi

They both had a ton of p.t. last year. They may not be Vincent and Taylor in their primes, but I think they will do fine. They are already starting SS Michael Lewis (2nd round pick in 2002) from that draft class. I have a feeling they will do alright there.
Ware is pushing Brown in mini-camp, but it is just mini-camp.
Ediddy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #22
Doug
All Pro

Ediddy, you're bein just a bit harsh with your comments just because some people feel the texans were more improved because it's their home team. From what I can see the majority of the people that posted on this thread didn't vote for the texans including myself. The lions weren't even a choice but I think they made the best improvement. That's my right to an opinion. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong or you wrong for that matter. To say how improved a team is before the season even starts is nothing but speculation and opinion. Just because a team signed two or three great football players doesn't mean that the TEAM is improved. If you've got one or two players who don't think about anything but themselves that's enough to wreck a team and if you have the same number that can get along with eveyone, do everything in their power to help the team, well, alot of times that's enough to lead the team to greatness. Just my OPINION.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #23
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

If I am not mistaken, I believe that Ware was being overshadowed by the Eagles other rookie CB ... I believe his name is Wynn not sure though. Anyways, I think that no matter who the replacements for the Eagles are they are still going to suffer a bit of a let down after having Vincent and Taylor patrolling the secondary. I see the Eagles logic thinking that with Kearse they get more of a pass rush and make their young inexperienced CBs look like all pros, however that is a bit of a gamble considering the Freak's history of injuries. If we're looking for the most improved team NOW then I would have to say New England if only for the addition of a very good RB in Dillion, but they also had a good draft. If its more for the most improved team in a couple years due to their draft then I'd have to go with Detroit provided that Rogers is healthy and does well this coming season. Add in Williams, Lehman, Bailey (from last years draft), and Jones and you have a very talented group of young players on offense and defense. As for all the back and forth squabbling on the board all I can say is lighten up people.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #24
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Ediddy, you're bein just a bit harsh with your comments just because some people feel the texans were more improved because it's their home team....:
that is exactly my point though Doug. Why even put a pool like this on the home team site and include the home team. We had a so-so draft IMO, and we signed 2 second tier FAs (Wade, Smith) and one third tier FA ( Bruenner). Based purely on potential alone, which is all you can go on since nary a snap has been played, Philly, Oak, and Minn have improved their line ups the most in FA. You can't count on any of the draft picks because none of them have played a single down of pro football.
It is MY opinion that everyone thinking that we have improved more than those 3 teams is laughable!! but I am a pragmatist who gets mired in facts too much.
Old 06-22-2004   #25
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I really don't think that the Eagles secondary will be that bad. Last year Lito Sheppard started 9 games because of injuries: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=5912

Sheldon Brown started 3 games and played enough to get 43 tackles:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=5945

I think their play last season was one of the reasons they let Taylor and Vincent go.

They drafted Ware and the other guys (Wynn?) because they need depth for nickel and dime packages.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #26
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ediddy73
...Philly, Oak, and Minn have improved their line ups the most in FA.
Philly I get. Sign the top offensive & defensive FA and you should get some offseason love. Hey, the Eagles only need a couple more wins at the end of the season and they're World Champs. But, what's so great about what the Raiders & Vikes did?

Oakland signed a bunch of 30-somethings for a last hurrah? OK, they also pickup Collins, but they hold on to Gannon. Instant QB controversy and that can't be good. Don't forget the net gain aspect of FA as the Raiders lost Charlie Garner and 2 young FA starters in Rod Coleman and Eric Barton. Oh, and they made Norv Turner head coach. Let's print the playoff tickets. What Darth has done this offseason has left me underwhelmed.

Minnesota picked up a very good FA corner in Antoine Winfield. And that's about it. Will Winfield be enough to get Minny into the playoffs? Considering they were one deflected pass from hosting the Seahags last year, I'd say yes. But, I'd rather have both Wade & Smith than just Winfield.

So maybe the Texans "most improved" rankings aren't so out of whack after all?
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004   #27
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I really don't think that the Eagles secondary will be that bad. Last year Lito Sheppard started 9 games because of injuries: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=5912

Sheldon Brown started 3 games and played enough to get 43 tackles:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...s?statsId=5945

I think their play last season was one of the reasons they let Taylor and Vincent go.

They drafted Ware and the other guys (Wynn?) because they need depth for nickel and dime packages.
Dexter Wynn was their 6th round pick Ogre. check this out Eagles roster
Sponsored links
Old 06-22-2004   #28
Ediddy73
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Philly I get. Sign the top offensive & defensive FA and you should get some offseason love. Hey, the Eagles only need a couple more wins at the end of the season and they're World Champs. But, what's so great about what the Raiders & Vikes did?

Oakland signed a bunch of 30-somethings for a last hurrah? OK, they also pickup Collins, but they hold on to Gannon. Instant QB controversy and that can't be good. Don't forget the net gain aspect of FA as the Raiders lost Charlie Garner and 2 young FA starters in Rod Coleman and Eric Barton. Oh, and they made Norv Turner head coach. Let's print the playoff tickets. What Darth has done this offseason has left me underwhelmed.

Minnesota picked up a very good FA corner in Antoine Winfield. And that's about it. Will Winfield be enough to get Minny into the playoffs? Considering they were one deflected pass from hosting the Seahags last year, I'd say yes. But, I'd rather have both Wade & Smith than just Winfield.

So maybe the Texans "most improved" rankings aren't so out of whack after all?
Minnesota- everything you mentioned about Winfield plus a healthy Michael Bennett, and Onterio Smith with a little experience under his belt..
Oakland-.....alright I give up, they suck!! :hehe:
Old 06-23-2004   #29
Doug
All Pro

Hate to break it to everyone but the Cardinals are gonna win it all !!!!!! LOL
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004   #30
kbourda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34 kbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respectedkbourda is a quality contributor and well respected

I think a healthy Vick in Atlanta will make them a better team not to mention their draft.
Old 06-25-2004   #31
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

I chose the Texans not only by how they look on paper, although they look very impressing IMO. I chose them because I think they will do exceptionally well this season. Sure our draft picks might not come in and make a pro bowl calibur performance but I think they will do what's needed along with them being young. And both Robinson and Babin look extremely agile IMO. Our O-line needed to be upgraded and the addition of Wade isn't bad along with the Pitts shuffle which wasn't bad either....it's very good indeed. Then comes Bruener...as long as the guy stays healthy...a great addition and thus an improvement.

So far that's three.....Offense not sporting rookies along with youth, addition of Wade to the O-line and the Pitts shuffle, and then there's Bruener who will help both D.D. to make yards and that helps Carr a great deal as well. Our depth has greatly improved with our future back ups having in game experience because of the injuries last year and that experience is another thing we didn't have last year.

Our D-line is improved as well. Walker looks to be coming back and Robaire Smith is a fantastic addition which spells more improvement. Sure Seth is tentative but at least our back up have experience going in this year around and those back up didn't do a bad job IMO...sure they could have done better but they didn't have what they have now.....a full years experience and confidence. Our LB's have added personnel along with youth. Our long corps :hehe: ...of LBs is tough, maybe not the best but "improved" nonetheless. That is the subject on this thread, correct? Our DB's....there's Dunta and although he might not do great he is a great addition. We know that Aaron Glenn is getting older so Robinson coming in was great.....and for another reason besides the original reason for him being chosen by the Texans.

Marcus Coleman was pushed back to FS and for good reason. Isn't this improvement as well? We all know he is! We also have better depth with our safety spots....another thing we didn't have last year.

All in all...I see a hell of a lot of improvement and I didn't choose the Texans just because they are my home team. They are the team I keep up with most therefore I know most about. I know there are several teams that have improved but you have to understand that it's natural for me to be a little biased, but not blindly biased. The Texans come in this year with a lot on their side, a lot they didn't have last year....experience, youth, upgrades, depth, confidence, morale, etc. I think they will come in this year and prove who in fact is the most improved.........professional sports analyst will be saying it...then we'll know. As it was said before, at this time...it's all speculation, wishful thinking, predictions....whatever you want to call it, nothing more.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read