Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2011   #41
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone else concerned about Offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm concerned with how offensive Thorn can be..
I'm concerned with how offensive TB can be more than I'm concerned with Thorn!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #42
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 295477 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

No, not really.

I don't think there's a better offensive mind for this situation than Kubes.

Execution concerns, injury concerns ... sure.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #43
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
I dont think anyone can refute that. If the Texans are successful from here on out it will be due to the strength of the defense and running game.
Quote:
I dont think anyone can refute that. If the Texans are successful from here on out it will be due to the strength of the defense and running game.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If we keep saying it, maybe they'll understand.
Old 12-21-2011   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
In the 2nd half we ran the ball better until the red zone and then Kubiak tried to outsmart everyone by throwing. 2nd and goal at the 5 after running it down their throats and we throw twice producing a FG. The last drive of the game (for us at least) on 1st and goal we run for 3 yards then we call a pass play where Yates does a Carr impression and runs out of bounds 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The next play is the interception. You have the best running back in the game. Give him the ball.
DeJa Vu

Old 12-21-2011   #45
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Yes, he did, Bill!

How many times do you think Schaub roll out on the average?

It's a call to be made by the coaches, any way.
The QB can't decide to roll out by himself.
Schaub doesn't drop straight back on a play action pass nearly as often as Yates does which tells me his (Yates) vision downfield is not nearly as good as Schaub's. Schaub can roll out and see three areas of the field. Yates drops straight back more often because it cuts the field into two rather than three parts?

That said ask yourself another question and answer it honestly. When Yates does roll-out how often do you see him throw back across the field? How often does he throw in front of him or even a little towards the middle of the field.

I'm not saying that it's a drastic difference but more of subtle difference in play calling for Yates v. Schaub.

I'm not going to break down video because I do have a job, but I know what my eyes see. So let's not turn this into the "Great Debate", because I'm not interested.
Old 12-21-2011   #46
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
I think the last few weeks have proven Schaub's worth to this team. I had my doubts about how long we would last in the playoffs before Schaub went down, now it's getting worse. With Schaub, I honestly don't believe we'd be one and done in the playoffs. Now, depending on who we draw, that could very well happen.

I still continue to have hope that TJ and the Texans will surprise us in the playoffs. I hope so.
I hear what you're saying.

I'm still holding out hope that Aj will come back & have a strong run to the Super Bowl.

Aj changes this offense, it's a whole new game, more so than Schaub (I think).

Nothing against Matt, but I'd be just as worried with Matt & no Aj as I am with Tj & no Aj...

Andre Johnson is a game changer. I have yet to reach that conclusion about Schaub.
Old 12-21-2011   #47
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 124794 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm concerned with how offensive TB can be more than I'm concerned with Thorn!
Bastage!
Old 12-21-2011   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Schaub doesn't drop straight back on a play action pass nearly as often as Yates does which tells me his (Yates) vision downfield is not nearly as good as Schaub's. Schaub can roll out and see three areas of the field. Yates drops straight back more often because it cuts the field into two rather than three parts?
Rolling out of the pocket should make it easier for a young QB. You're pretty much cutting off half the field. (That throw back we do to the opposite side isn't something that's "normal" we started that this year & I've seen other teams doing it as well).

But, rolling out tells your young'n to focus on that half of the field. Should be easier.
Old 12-21-2011   #49
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

That said ask yourself another question and answer it honestly. When Yates does roll-out how often do you see him throw back across the field? How often does he throw in front of him or even a little towards the middle of the field.

I'm not saying that it's a drastic difference but more of subtle difference in play calling for Yates v. Schaub.

I'm not going to break down video because I do have a job, but I know what my eyes see. So let's not turn this into the "Great Debate", because I'm not interested.
I concur in your observations. Like you I am not going to try to go back and prove them.

LOL at the comment by someone up thread about Yates running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. We haven't seen that in years.
Old 12-21-2011   #50
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I concur in your observations. Like you I am not going to try to go back and prove them.

LOL at the comment by someone up thread about Yates running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage. We haven't seen that in years.
That's exactly what I told a buddy of mine when that happened. Bad memories!

I never really understood why some QB's do that. They're out of the pocket, just toss the damn ball to a cameraman or something. Or, they're clueless of where the sticks are located.
Old 12-21-2011   #51
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand your point, Bill.

Whether the QB drops straight back or rolls out depend on the play call.

Where the QB throws the ball on the roll-out also depends on the play call (and the pass pattern the receivers are running.)

I have no problem with where TJ was going with the ball.
And yes, I did see him throw back a little toward the inside from where he was going.

I won't ask you to go back and review anything.
I do have a job also (for a long while now) but I do pretty much nothing else besides that but watching football so maybe tonight I can take a long look at those plays (not that I haven't watched them at least half a dozen times already).

Maybe I'll see what you saw; but I need to make sure what your points are first, so please clarify them for me one more time please!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #52
TejasTom
Heisenwatt

Section: Brazos Suite
Rep Power: 54152 TejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respectedTejasTom is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't say atrocious. There were open receivers on most plays, Tj just didn't find them.
Quote:
On most plays?

I don't see that, TK!

I'm good with TJ's decision-making for the most part.
76 were you at the game? Because the cameras usually follow the ball and the open guy doesn't necessarily make it on TV.

I don't know if I would say most plays, but definitely several plays guys were wide open down field (no one with 10 yards or more) and Yates was checking down.
Old 12-21-2011   #53
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64231 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm concerned. We need to score points. I don't want some Jets-like BS where we rely on defense but we can't score an effin' lick and we lose 16-13 or something.

We need Andre back badly. Space the field. Open it up so that the run game can dominate and that OD and Dreesen have a bit more open field to work with.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #54
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wouldn't say atrocious. There were open receivers on most plays, Tj just didn't find them.
I'm looking at the body work not one game and not just this season we have been dealing with a sub-par group other than Andre Johnson, it's time for an upgrade at the position or more like an overhaul IMO.
Old 12-21-2011   #55
RunTexans
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanBacker93 View Post
It is a concern. Yates has played better than we should have expected from a 3rd string, 5th round pick. If he continues to grow he could be the QB of the future after Schaub is gone. His consistency is not there yet and that will cost us. The running game needs to be strong to open up some passing lanes for him.

I thought we could have run the ball more against Carolina. Kubiak yanked Foster for a series and a half after the fumble. I get that you have to send a message, but you cost your team when you penalize your best offensive player. I like Tate, but Foster is a level above him and on at least one play in that next series (a short pass to Tate in the flat) I think Foster can get past a guy to move the sticks instead of coming up a few yards short. In the 2nd half we ran the ball better until the red zone and then Kubiak tried to outsmart everyone by throwing. 2nd and goal at the 5 after running it down their throats and we throw twice producing a FG. The last drive of the game (for us at least) on 1st and goal we run for 3 yards then we call a pass play where Yates does a Carr impression and runs out of bounds 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. The next play is the interception. You have the best running back in the game. Give him the ball.

Going into the playoffs this team can beat anyone even with Yates. He'll have to make a few throws, but we've seen that he can do it. You're going to have to let Foster and Tate carry the load, though. It will help our D. 3 and outs, especially when little time comes off the clock because we have incompletions kills a D.

THIS ^^^^!!!

you've got to drop your pride and ego and go with your Pro Bowler!! your play maker!!

I dont care if you have to design plays to get Arian the ball, just get it done...I'm sorry but you try to "send a message" to your star player is like benching your QB cause he threw a pick, just isnt smart!

get Arian the ball in the flats, over the middle, running, screens whatever!! just get it done Kub!

the game shouldnt of been what it was, and the next shouldnt either, use the run to set up the pass...and get your play maker the ball...simple!
RunTexans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #56
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14250 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Are you guys ready for this debate to continue into next year. If Schaub is back on time for the regular season, wait for the first loss and the crowd to scream TJ. If Schaub is not back and goes on the PUP, the crowd will either get their fill for TJ(I suspect some Denny Green"they were who we thought they were...) or TJ will keep the job, with the crowd screaming for Schaub and Kubiaks head. Either way I shall be entertained.

Then we have the Wadegate, Mariogate, playoff expectation after coming off our first playoff experience(feels good to say), possibly an Luck vs. Manning drama, etc.

Should make for another interesting and emotional football year. I can't wait!
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #57
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I'm concerned. We need to score points. I don't want some Jets-like BS where we rely on defense but we can't score an effin' lick and we lose 16-13 or something.
Fumbles on the goal line, that INT in the endzone, turnovers on our part..... we've been moving the ball pretty well.

I think we'll be scoring like the Texans by the time we play our first play-off game.
Old 12-21-2011   #58
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102049 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

What the hell are you guys smoking?? Lol!

What is all this talk about TJ Yates and Schaub and a QB controversy??

TJ Yates hasn't shown anything to suggest that he can supplant Schaub right now. Not even close. Once again, I'll remind people that Schaub is a top 10 QB with several 4,000 yard seasons on his belt and moves this offense up and down the field better than the majority of QB's in this league. TJ Yates is an unproven rookie that got the benefit of playing with a team that was on a hot streak with the best defense in the NFL and the best running game in the NFL and won two games as a starter playing mainly as a game manager. He had a nice comeback drive and has had shown potential. I'm happy to see that. But to sit here and even suggest that their should be a QB controversy going into next season based off of what we've seen so far by Yates is ridiculous and nothing more than being overly optimistic in a rookie that has yet to show that he is anywhere near running an offense like what Schaub has done for years.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #59
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your point, Bill.

Whether the QB drops straight back or rolls out depend on the play call.

Where the QB throws the ball on the roll-out also depends on the play call (and the pass pattern the receivers are running.)

I have no problem with where TJ was going with the ball.
And yes, I did see him throw back a little toward the inside from where he was going.

I won't ask you to go back and review anything.
I do have a job also (for a long while now) but I do pretty much nothing else besides that but watching football so maybe tonight I can take a long look at those plays (not that I haven't watched them at least half a dozen times already).

Maybe I'll see what you saw; but I need to make sure what your points are first, so please clarify them for me one more time please!
I've seen and participated in enough football that I can usually tell when something passes or doesn't pass the eyeball test.
Old 12-21-2011   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
What the hell are you guys smoking?? Lol!

But to sit here and even suggest that their should be a QB controversy going into next season based off of what we've seen so far by Yates is ridiculous and nothing more than being overly optimistic in a rookie that has yet to show that he is anywhere near running an offense like what Schaub has done for years.
I believe the conversation is still in the if Tj excells over the next few games phase. I don't believe anyone has called for Tj to replace Schaub "based off of what we've seen so far"

I may be wrong, if so, please show me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read