Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-21-2011   #81
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans need to get best available receiver next season....

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Mario, Myers, Dreesen and Foster are re-signed there will be little wiggle room for free agents. This was part of the "would you trade Mario" thread as trading him would bring picks and free up millions that could be used to go after FAs.
Well for one I wouldn't resign Foster if he wants Chris Johnson type of money. Dressen can be replaced if need be. Mario should definitely be traded, but with what?? He'll be a free agent after this season and if you franchise him, he has to want to sign somewhere else if someone is going to want to make a trade. I'd also drop JJ like a bad habit.

And even if we can't sign a good free agent at WR in the off season, I still wouldn't use a first round pick on one unless a stud like Dez Bryant fell in the draft. I'd keep building an elite defense for years to come. That's what wins championships besides a great QB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #82
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL713 View Post
I'd be thrilled to draft someone like Alshon Jeffery or Michael Floyd(both projected as top-20 pick, not sure if they'll be there for our pick) with our first rounder, then go for Kendall Wright in the second, even if we have to trade up.

We were able to take last year's weakness and turn in into a strength through the draft and the addition of Wade Phillips. Upgrading at WR should be much easier to do than drastically improving the entire defense. With a strong WR core, I don't see how we could be stopped(other than injuries).
Some rumblings Alshon may have weight problem. ALso he has difficulty sometimes getting separation. He may slide.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=456309
Old 12-21-2011   #83
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Those examples are not making your point at all though. Drafting a WR 3 times in 18 years makes my point completely because they've stayed strong on their defense. I'm not saying you do this every year either. ONce you have an insane unit that should be held together for years, than you can slowly find great pieces on offense. We still have arguably the best RB and WR in the game right now. We need help at the #2 spot at WR, but we can get a lot of really good guys in free agency that are known commodities in this league. The draft is always a crap shoot especially with WR's. Look at guys like Braylen Edwards, Roy Williams, Heyward-Bey, Crabtree, and many others that were total busts.
You specifically said "We would be complete fools to waste a first pick in the draft on a WR". And continued on to say that we should contine to build a top defense so we can be like the Steelers and Ravens.

So no, I am not making your point. I am saying that you draft a WR if he is the best player available at the position of need. That is exactly what the Steelers and Ravens do. There is no reason to box yourself in. You are saying that if we draft a WR we are complete morons, but if the Ravens and Steelers do it, its OK.

And by the way, I dont think ANY team in the NFL has an INSANE defensive unit to allow them to draft WR's. Teams draft WR's when they are needed and one of the BPA's.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #84
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
You specifically said "We would be complete fools to waste a first pick in the draft on a WR". And continued on to say that we should contine to build a top defense so we can be like the Steelers and Ravens.

So no, I am not making your point. I am saying that you draft a WR if he is the best player available at the position of need. There is no reason to box yourself in. This is exactly what the Steelers and Ravens do. You are saying that if we draft a WR we are complete morons, but if the Ravens and Steelers do it, its OK.
I see what you're saying. I guess I sort of contradicted myself there. But no, I don't think we should draft a WR at all in the first round, unless a stud slips to us that is top 10 type of material like Dez Bryant was. That was a unique situation and the Cowboys had to draft him where he was at.

The Ravens and Steelers have been stacked on defense for years and years and have stability that can be counted on year after year. The Texans don't yet. We've had one great season on defense and we're most likely going to lose Wade this off season. So, I don't think we totally have that luxury just yet to get anyone we want based off of that. I'd leave offense alone in the first round unless that player is just way to good to pass on or unless there is an O lineman that could be a franchise O lineman for a long time.

Quote:
And by the way, I dont think ANY team in the NFL has an INSANE defensive unit to allow them to draft WR's. Teams draft WR's when they are needed and one of the BPA's.
Could you be more specific on this point?
Old 12-21-2011   #85
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well for one I wouldn't resign Foster if he wants Chris Johnson type of money. Dressen can be replaced if need be. Mario should definitely be traded, but with what?? He'll be a free agent after this season and if you franchise him, he has to want to sign somewhere else if someone is going to want to make a trade. I'd also drop JJ like a bad habit.

And even if we can't sign a good free agent at WR in the off season, I still wouldn't use a first round pick on one unless a stud like Dez Bryant fell in the draft. I'd keep building an elite defense for years to come. That's what wins championships besides a great QB.
Foster cannot negotiate with anyone as he has only 3 accredited years, so he prety much takes what's offered. He will get a good deal.

On D we only need some back ups for most part.
Old 12-21-2011   #86
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see what you're saying. I guess I sort of contradicted myself there. But no, I don't think we should draft a WR at all in the first round, unless a stud slips to us that is top 10 type of material like Dez Bryant was. That was a unique situation and the Cowboys had to draft him where he was at.

The Ravens and Steelers have been stacked on defense for years and years and have stability that can be counted on year after year. The Texans don't yet. We've had one great season on defense and we're most likely going to lose Wade this off season. So, I don't think we totally have that luxury just yet to get anyone we want based off of that. I'd leave offense alone in the first round unless that player is just way to good to pass on or unless there is an O lineman that could be a franchise O lineman for a long time.
I think I would agree with that. Unless a top 10 talent on offense slips, we should draft defense.

Quote:
Could you be more specific on this point?
I guess I was responding to your comment
Quote:
Once you have an insane unit that should be held together for years, than you can slowly find great pieces on offense.
I dont really see any defenses that are 100% complete or amazing. Steelers, Texans, Ravens, 49ers, all have flaws on their defense. So there really is no prefect time to draft offense. You just have to take the best value on both sides of the ball when they are there.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #87
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Foster cannot negotiate with anyone as he has only 3 accredited years, so he prety much takes what's offered. He will get a good deal.

On D we only need some back ups for most part.

We need a guy in the middle for sure to upgrade. We need another really good safety and a CB to replace Jackson. You keep building this defense. We didn't win anything with the offense we had before and no defense. You build this thing until you're certain that you've got a dominant defense for years to come with depth and everything.
Sponsored links
Old 12-21-2011   #88
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think I would agree with that. Unless a top 10 talent on offense slips, we should draft defense.

I guess I was responding to your comment

I dont really see any defenses that are 100% complete or amazing. Steelers, Texans, Ravens, 49ers, all have flaws on their defense. So there really is no prefect time to draft offense. You just have to take the best value on both sides of the ball when they are there.
Yes, the Steelers and the Ravens have had amazing units year after year. That can be counted on from them, because they have guys on their teams that have been consistent for a decade now. The Texans have had one great season. That can't be counted on again. They could be great again and for several years for all we know, but it can't be counted on like it can for the Steelers and the Ravens who have gone deep in the playoffs for several years mainly due to their defense. Defense may not always win championships, but it can keep you up there in the hunt year after year if you sustain that great unit like the Ravens and the Steelers have. Sure, they might have flaws, but every team does of course.
Old 12-21-2011   #89
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 5174 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Somebody is going to get an absolute steal by drafting Broyles. (That is if he can come back 100% from injury)
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #90
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6869 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We need a guy in the middle for sure to upgrade. We need another really good safety and a CB to replace Jackson. You keep building this defense. We didn't win anything with the offense we had before and no defense. You build this thing until you're certain that you've got a dominant defense for years to come with depth and everything.
Pretty much have to agree with Tex on all points thoughout this post. Just wish they had done something with Mario before the season so we could have a couple of those players NOW. Our WR are really way below average this year considering AJs condition. i think you can improve in FA if you have the money. Who knows maybe Jean can be another Foster, but don't assume that is going to happen.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #91
Titans Sux 72
Veteran

Rep Power: 1719 Titans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respectedTitans Sux 72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Read a thread in the titans forums and somebody made comment that the Texans had the worst Receiving corps in the NFL in AJ's absense. Fisrt I was pizzed than thought about it for a while and they were right. Now I amtalking WR's not TE's. JJ HAS to go.
We need to start a "When do we end the JJ experiment???" thread. He serves no purpose. He gets luckey on a few and I mean few punts and that is it! Walter is mediocre and the others are all stop gap.
Titans Sux 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011   #92
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans will have to address the WR position through the draft and I hope it's in the 1st & 4th. Everything hinges on Mario Williams if we do a sign & trade and pick a 1st round pick for him would be totally awesome and fill other needs as we see that we can exist without him. A F/A wideout might be out of the question with our Free Agents such as Mario Williams, Arian Foster and others.
Old 12-22-2011   #93
Naiirb
All Pro

Rep Power: 2331 Naiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respectedNaiirb is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ and Reggie Wayne lining up next to each other next year? Even with the Colts down year and Wayne being on the tail end of his career he's argubaly still a legit #1 and would make an excellent #2 here.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...%99-foundation

Johnson on Wayne: “He’s a route technician. I sat and watched and learned from him at Miami. He took me under his wing. He works hard at everything he does, everything. He’s committed. His numbers speak for themselves. In every conversation about the best receivers in the league, his name comes up.

“We joke about it all the time,” Johnson said. “If Reggie’s on the market, I’ll be a big recruiter. I’m pretty sure my coaches know that.”

Talk of a possible future life as a Texan made Wayne laugh.

“I’m sure he’s got some hammies he needs to worry about first,” he said, referring to hamstring injuries that have cost Johnson much of the season and will keep him out against the Colts. “And I am sure their team is ecstatic about their first playoff opportunity…

“If Dre is going to politic for me, he’s got enough time to do it.”
Naiirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011   #94
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind Reggie Wayne on the team but only if he's not getting "Reggie Wayne" type money.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read